Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

OT Comic Book help Esate sale find

Comments

• Donut is right. There are actually many similarities between these early Silver Age Marvels and the '52 Topps set. Both were new to the market at close to the beginning of a new era in the industry. Topps for post war, Marvel for Silver age comics. I would even go as far as saying some of them might be considered the equal for collectors. Avengers #1 and #4 could be the Pafko and Mathews, ASM #1 would be more of a '52 Bowman Mantle maybe. AF 15 would be the '52 Mantle. If the Journey into Mystery 83 is in the lot, that's the first Thor which is another huge Silver Age Key Issue. I think the comparison is very fair.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Well dudes, since I know zilch about comics, I'll give it to ya.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Although now I'm curious as to what you'd say a complete 1952 Topps set is worth in mid-grade.

And also a bit of a "nit-pick" but if this comic book collection for $75, is the equivalent of the '52 Topps set in mid-grade for $50, than these comics should be worth 33% more than the Topps set.

And I'm not that good at math, so if my percentage thing above is off, that's why. But you know what I'm gettin' at.

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Anyone feel sorry for the guy who got 75.00 for this? If the roles were reversed I wonder

what some would say?

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Anyone feel sorry for the guy who got 75.00 for this? If the roles were reversed I wonder

what some would say?

Steve >>

Sometimes I feel this way and pose the moral question, but really, the whole collectible world is based off of the fact that people will pay what they'll pay. And the reverse is also true. If someone sells something for this much lower than it's worth, it's because they didn't care much about the items. If the guy finds out later what they're worth, the only person he can blame is himself. I usually do as much research as I can before I sell something that I think might be worth something, and I've been burned, but I certainly didn't blame the buyer, nor would I really expect him to feel sorry for me.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify I don't either (Blame the buyer that is) the seller should have done some
    homework. My question was to those that generally whine when a collector goes to a dealer
    and is offered 50% of book.

I in no way was being critical of Dennis.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Anyone feel sorry for the guy who got 75.00 for this? If the roles were reversed I wonder

what some would say?

Steve >>

Steve,

In a word No!!!!

A deal is a deal and if you don't know what you have or don't take the time to find out..........In short, not my problem, As a business man, my job is to make an offer that I think will allow me to make money...Not Educate You on the Value of something you possess. Although for a consulting Fee we can arrange for that.
    When I first started posting here a few years back and knew next to nothing about Sports cards I mentioned I had a specific Baseball card that I picked up in some Non Sports stuff. Asked what is was worth. A board member here PM'd me and offered something like $25 bucks. I was like sure, din't give it much thought. A few weeks later he was selling it on E-bay for $500. Did a little research and found out he paid me like a 10th of what it was worth. Did he do wrong, No, Did I by not knowing what I was selling..Yes. My bad. Lesson learned.
    I have bought sold and bought sold, made so many Thousands and lost so many thousands on so many collectibles and sold for less than they were worth, it probably all comes out as a wash in the end.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Anyone feel sorry for the guy who got 75.00 for this? If the roles were reversed I wonder

what some would say?

Steve

Good point, Steve ...but, without scans I find this "Estate sale find" hard to believe (maybe I'm the only one?).

Mike
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone feel sorry for the guy who got 75.00 for this? If the roles were reversed I wonder

what some would say?

Steve

Good point, Steve ...but, without scans I find this "Estate sale find" hard to believe (maybe I'm the only one?).

Mike >>

I've read a lot of posts about estate sale finds...they go on for a few days....scans are promised, none delivered and then the poster disappears.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.

• << <i>Although now I'm curious as to what you'd say a complete 1952 Topps set is worth in mid-grade.

And also a bit of a "nit-pick" but if this comic book collection for $75, is the equivalent of the '52 Topps set in mid-grade for $50, than these comics should be worth 33% more than the Topps set.

And I'm not that good at math, so if my percentage thing above is off, that's why. But you know what I'm gettin' at. >>

Ballpark 30-50K for the set, assuming there's nothing really high grade or really low grade.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Till I see pics I'm always suspect, even sometimes after pics

• << <i>Just to clarify I don't either (Blame the buyer that is) the seller should have done some
    homework. My question was to those that generally whine when a collector goes to a dealer
    and is offered 50% of book.

I in no way was being critical of Dennis.

Steve >>

I know, and didn't mean to imply that. On the dealer low ball note; I remember so well back in the day (and even now to a much lesser extent) the amount of dealers at shows and card shops that offered extremely low ball offers. In those days, the 80's and early 90's, these dealers had the upper hand big time. So if you can pick any bright spot out of ebay, that would be it. Now collectors who like/need to turn a profit, whether to fund their collection preferences, or to make cash to pay bills, can do so without giving mucho up for nothing.

• << <i>

<< <i>Although now I'm curious as to what you'd say a complete 1952 Topps set is worth in mid-grade.

And I'm not that good at math, so if my percentage thing above is off, that's why. But you know what I'm gettin' at. >>

Ballpark 30-50K for the set, assuming there's nothing really high grade or really low grade. >>

So you think this guy found $30-50K worth of comics for $75???? Wow, that's a heck of a find. And I trust that you know what he's got is worth this much, mostly because I have no idea. image And that being the case, I find it extremely hard to believe the story of this "find." Nothing personal, but it's pretty easy to take a digital picture of things and post it (if scanning is that big of a problem).

• On second thought, I don't really care about comics, so I just realized my desire to see pictures is pretty minimal anyway.

• Well, that's the general consensus here and on the comic world. Amazing Spider-Man 1 is a $3-5K book in that grade, Avengers 1 is a $2-4K book, Avengers 4 is $1500, but rocketing upward due to the Captain America movie. Journey Into Mystery 83 (first Thor) is a $3-5K book, etc. etc. etc.

These kind of things happen every now and then, but not so much in comics anymore, especially with old stuff. If anything, people OVER value their comics now. "Spider-Man 1! The price guide says its worth $75,000!" - of course, the book they have is tattered and torn, etc. etc. etc.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    It depends on the grade Spiderman #1 in VG grade is a worth $2,000. In mid level grade about $5,000 and in NM condition maybe 8 to 10K. So depending on condition this lot of comics could easily be worth 30K, on the other hand it may only be worth 3K if the condition is bad or nothing if reprints.

Based on said info, mid grade condition and non reprints I would assume the lot is a 7 to 10K lot if graded and all grade out consistently mid grade.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

• << <i>It depends on the grade Spiderman #1 in VG grade is a worth $2,000. In mid level grade about $5,000 and in NM condition maybe 8 to 10K. So depending on condition this lot of comics could easily be worth 30K, on the other hand it may only be worth 3K if the condition is bad or nothing if reprints.

Based on said info, mid grade condition and non reprints I would assume the lot is a 7 to 10K lot if graded and all grade out consistently mid grade. >>

I will buy every single copy of Amazing Spider-Man 1 in NM you have for $10,000. I will also buy every copy of ASM 1 in VG for $2K. Where do I write the check?

If the original buyer wants to sell this collection for $7,000, he can contact me right now.
  • mrhighgrademrhighgrade Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    I sent him a PM, but he never replied. imageimageimage
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent him a PM, but he never replied. imageimageimage >>

me too image
  • Here are some photo's of the find. The Spiderman comics are very clean and are free of any tears or seams slitting. The Silver Surfer issues are absolutely stunning with no spine wear.
  • Good Day,

Jaw Drops...........................You my friend just hit the Lottery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Those Amazing issues are in superb condition!

Let me know if your selling them, before cards I used to collect silver age comics.

If you choose to keep them I suggest you get them graded by CGC.

Grading can be expensive but well worth it if you ever want to sell for maximum price.
  • Here's a few more photo's. Any price estimates based on the condition of the Spiderman issues?

Does the Amazing Spiderman #1 have writing at the top?
  • Yes, it has a child's name. Of all the issues to have writing on. Oh well, I not complaining to much.

<< <i>Yes, it has a child's name. Of all the issue to have writing on. >>

Tell me about it image ..... still nice overall condition though!
  • Journey into Mystery #1

Any early X-Men comics?
  • Any early X-Men comics?

Yes, approx 5-6. All really nice clean shape with numbers from about 60-80. I can check to see exactly what numbers they are.
  • WOW!!! image

Based on condition of the books, I would say you have 10's of thousands worth of books right there...

You just might be able to buy a 52 Mantle or something nice like that image

Congrats again!
  • Silver Surfers!!!!!!!

#4 was short printed and yours is in awesome condition. You'll need to grade alot of these, especially since you don't have the background to prevent you from getting burned.

-scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I am totally amazed that the seller had no idea what he had!!!!!!!
  • How about Amazing Fantasy #15.........
    My sets:
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the late night informericals......I bought this 3 story house for $8,500!
  • Go to this thread that I started for you:

CGC Thread

-Scott
    My sets:
  • That is AWESOME. You hit the lottery.

My offer of $7K stands.image
  • Congrats, nice comics and it looks like you made out on that deal.
  • mrhighgrademrhighgrade Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    Nice books, did you receive my PM?
  • NO Amazing Fantasy #15.

The remaining portion of the collection consists of about 20 Captain America and about 50 Journey Into Mystery Thor comics.

• << <i>NO Amazing Fantasy #15.

The remaining portion of the collection consists of about 20 Captain America and about 50 Journey Into Mystery Thor comics. >>

Go join the CGC boards (it's free) and post the comics in their grading section

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=50&PHPSESSID=

You probably have thousands of dollars worth of comics.........really

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this must be serious for rockinrick to reply. image
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the seller was willing to have a public "estate sale", considering all the easy access to quick information about collectibles on the internet, considering that a number of collectibles shops buy/sell comic books and the seller could have brought them over to a few of them for an offer, considering the seller knew they were worth something by initially asking for $200, and considering the popularity of Spiderman with the hit movies, and considering there were likely others there first at the sale who saw these comic books and didn't buy them...it's amazing to me that a find such as this could be gotten...simply amazing and huge congrats and if ya get 'em graded I hope they grade well for you.

• << <i>Wow, this must be serious for rockinrick to reply. image >>

Aint that the truth

It's being discussed on the CGC boards

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3389741&fpart=1

• << <i>Here are some photo's of the find. The Spiderman comics are very clean and are free of any tears or seams slitting. The Silver Surfer issues are absolutely stunning with no spine wear.
    image >>

Sir, you have some serious comics here

Think somebody mentioned an analogy to 52 Topps image
  • You want to sell.................contact me

• Wow!!!! I'm not knowledgeable in comics, but from what you all have said, and seeing those amazing pictures, I take back anything bad I ever said, haha. That's really impressive, both the comics and the find. Unreal. This is what collectors dream of. Simply awesome!!!!

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe someone who had these had no idea of what they were worth...
    Maybe them is stolen ??

• << <i>You want to sell.................contact me >>

Hey, I asked first! image
  • sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Fantastic stuff... congrats!

Mike
  • "The seller wanted $200.00 initially but we finally settled on a price of $75.00. Not knowing a thing about comic books I figured I might be able to double or triple my money"

honestly, do you feel a tad bit guilty?

did you have NO IDEA that a #1 issue (very similar to a rookie card) would be worth a few bucks?