Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT Comic Book help Esate sale find

Over the weekend I picked up a collection of approx. 60 comic books from the early 1960's through the mid 1970's. The seller wanted $200.00 initially but we finally settled on a price of $75.00. Not knowing a thing about comic books I figured I might be able to double or triple my money. The overall collection is about a 6-7 on a 1-10 scale quality wise.

I located a Overstreet price book and was SHOCKED at what the lot could be worth.

Some of the better comic books in the lot are:
Amazing Spiderman #1
Amazing Spiderman #9
Amazing Spiderman #10
Amazing Spiderman #11
Amazing Spiderman #12
Amazing Spiderman #13
Avengers #1
Avengers #2
Avengers #3
Avengers #4
Avengers #6
Avengers #7
Journey into Mystery(15 books from 80"s through low 100's)
Captain America( 6 books in the low 100's)

Any idea based on the quality what this lot would sell for? Should I submit them to a grading service. If so, which one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dennis

Comments

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Cool find, you did very well I'd guess. You can probably turn some mucho dinero, and maybe even some american money too.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I would guess the lot will sell for between $1000 and $2000 even if they are in bad condition. But then again, I am a card guy.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    That is a nice lot. I would send them to CGC to have them graded. They could bring in some good coin.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think Overstreet prices are for CGC graded examples.

Good luck and nice find.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    In VG shape that Spiderman #1 is worth about 1500 to 2000.

Again it's all about condition. Also you cannot submit to CGC yourself you have to find an authorized dealer or collector or get their permission.

Let us know the shape, as I am a big Spiderman collector.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Also, look for tie ins. What I mean is first appearences of another character in for example the Spiderman comics.

Off the top of my head and I;m just guessing say First appearence of Wolverine in a comic book before they made the wolverine series.

That is how they usually introduced a super hero through another book.

Also, some times the number 2 is worth as much or more then the number 1.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Make sure they are not reprints, as these books were reproduced in the 70s and 80s for people that didn't get them the first time around. Make sure the cover prices are what they should be.
  • Options
    Good point, look on the first inside page there you will see the copyright date.

One last point, you need to be a member to submit to CGC (like PSA does)

again good luck.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I see you listed the shape as well.

Comics grading scale is much different than for cards. You have to count the pages, look for any writing or ink, staining, rust on staples etc.

Books that have a good looking cover may have been restapled (big time killer in price) to a comic with a bad cover. Sometimes people removed pages to pin up the art.

If you really want to know what you got and an opinion I would contact this guy

Chuck Rozanski
    Mile High
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Dennis,

Is the "Amazing Spiderman #1" dated 1963?

The reason I'm asking is that this particular issue was heavily reprinted by Golden Record in 1966. The '66 reprints in poor condition can usually be found for around a buck or two. The NM issues carry a much higher price tag ... up to around $500-$600.

I hope yours is legit.
    PoppaJ
  • Options
    Yes, the Amazing Spiderman #1 is dated 1963. Most of the issues are 12 cent comics.
  • Options
    Thank you for the referral Morgoth.
  • Options
    Sounds like you did ok then, grading them, like mentioned is a lot different then cards.

How are the spines and staples? Nicely centered? Is the cover still vibrant? Any folds?

Even if they turn out to be VG you did very well, congrats.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also you cannot submit to CGC yourself you have to find an authorized dealer or collector or get their permission. >>

Actually you are able to submit directly to CGC in a slightly roundabout way. This was about 2 years ago but I submitted a book to CGC by filling out a submission form through the Heritage Auction site and then mailed it directly to CGC. There are other dealers including eBay that allow this but Heritage had the cheapest price.
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see you listed the shape as well.

Comics grading scale is much different than for cards. You have to count the pages, look for any writing or ink, staining, rust on staples etc.

Books that have a good looking cover may have been restapled (big time killer in price) to a comic with a bad cover. Sometimes people removed pages to pin up the art.

Chuck Rozanski
    Mile High >>

I would not contact Mile High unless you want pennies on the dollar for your books.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>Yes, the Amazing Spiderman #1 is dated 1963. Most of the issues are 12 cent comics. >>

////////////////////////

Great! Get it graded regardless of condition .... Just for the sake of proving authenticity when/if selling!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Also you cannot submit to CGC yourself you have to find an authorized dealer or collector or get their permission. >>

Actually you are able to submit directly to CGC in a slightly roundabout way. This was about 2 years ago but I submitted a book to CGC by filling out a submission form through the Heritage Auction site and then mailed it directly to CGC. There are other dealers including eBay that allow this but Heritage had the cheapest price. >>

Here's the link to Heritage:

Heritage

On the left hand side there is a link that indicates you will get 10% off CGC submissions. You'll need to sign up for a free membership with Heritage first.

Nice find by the way!
  • Options

"I would not contact Mile High unless you want pennies on the dollar for your books".

I was going to say the same thing. They even low ball true Mile High collection examples.

The best thing to do IMO is get the better ones graded and sell them yourself on ebay.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a link where it looks like you can submit to CGC thru Ebay and get 10% off. Just scroll to the bottom of the page for a submission form.

link

-Claude
  • Options
    Thank you for all the helpful information. I appreciate it. Dennis
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    cool find

i hope they are all original for you
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Make sure they are not reprints, as these books were reproduced in the 70s and 80s for people that didn't get them the first time around. Make sure the cover prices are what they should be. >>

///////////////////////////////////////////

This info is ESPECIALLY important for card/coin/stamp guys.
    Comic guys, of course, are all aware of the issue.

Folks appear daily in shops with reprints they want to sell.
    Often, the front covers will say "REPRINT" in tiny letters. They
    still fool many non-comic experts.

There are also high-quality reprints from Thailand and the
    Philippines that are not properly marked.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    bvcbvc Posts: 100 ✭✭
    paying only $75 for all those comics is a flat-out HEIST! Those are worth some major coin, even in "ok" condition. If they are all authentic originals, and they sound like they are, then you did awesome. congrats. Also, watch for those Avengers issues skyrockt when the new movie gets closer to being released...in 12 I think.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    PM me if you want to part with Avengers#4. I've always wanted one. Maybe we can work out a trade. When you PM, let me know what you collect.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool beans. Let me know if Peter Parker ever got over on MJ.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Chuck and Mile High actually pay pretty strong prices as I have sold to them. They won't pay strong for newer collections but for vintage like this he will be fair. Also, he would know what you have and could give you a condition judgement.

I would also be interested if you want to move any of the spidermans.
  • Options
    Actually Mike, they have reset the Spiderman universe and he is not married anymore and MJ and him don't know each other yet other than as friends I beleive. He is also back to his early 20's in age. Yeah it was a story called One More Day and it PO's alot of people off to have the whole MJ realtionship wiped out due to "magic".
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Let's see some scans...
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree....SCANS plz!!!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Make sure they are not reprints, as these books were reproduced in the 70s and 80s for people that didn't get them the first time around. Make sure the cover prices are what they should be. >>

///////////////////////////////////////////

This info is ESPECIALLY important for card/coin/stamp guys.
    Comic guys, of course, are all aware of the issue.

Folks appear daily in shops with reprints they want to sell.
    Often, the front covers will say "REPRINT" in tiny letters. They
    still fool many non-comic experts.

There are also high-quality reprints from Thailand and the
    Philippines that are not properly marked. >>

Interesting...geez the seller sure knew they were worth "something" asking for $200, but sure seemed to "easily" come down to $75 - hopefully they are genuine.
  • Options
    WOW!!! image

Amazing Spiderman is my favorite comic book...

I'll give you the $75 you spent for issue #1 image

Please show scans if you can image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I see you listed the shape as well.

Chuck Rozanski
    Mile High >>

I would not contact Mile High unless you want pennies on the dollar for your books. >>

Excuse me....I have known Mr. Rozanski for 25 years...Do Not, and I repeat, Do Not ever let him near you or yours unless you have an Armed Guard to protect you and your Assets and Never Turn your Back on him...He will steal you Blind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a straight up Thief (And an $Whloe) and this is from personal experience. He also will do deals with you and then Backstab you and double deal with another person for the same item, lie and then promise and never pay you money's owed!!!!

Seriously
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Rozanski made the Edgar Church Pedigree find out of Denver, CO. If nothing else, it is absolutely fantastic read if you want to research it. You should post some scans on CGCs forums, the former head grader is a member there and would probably be able to assist you.

Neil:
    Do you have any first hand stories on the Edgar Church find?

I started a CGC thread for you....
    LINK

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    Good Day,
    Myself and Dennis Grimm were involved in some of the inventory of the Edgar Chuch collection after the fact (After it was in Chuck's hands), I knew Chuck at the time from the local Comic Book Show circuit in Denver. I was asked to help because of my expertise in Golden Age Comics. I had brokered a deal between a Customer of mine for a Detctive Comics #29, A Superman #1, and several early Action numbers #3-#10, with Chuck as the buyer. The customer was selling to Chuck and this was one of the only deals to go off without Drama, I think it was a $20-25K deal. All other dealing with Chuck had some sense of Dirty dealins to them.

I never made it through the house, (Edgar Church's), but I think Dennis did. At first Chuck didn't really grasp what had fallen into his lap. He sold off a lot of the stuff early on to me, Dennis , and a couple others for near nothing. I don't have an exact figure but stuff I ended up with, mostly Westerns, with some other Super Hero and Jungle stuff I probably over the next few years sold 100K-150K worth. I had one room in my house that was dedicated to Mile High and other top Golden Age stuff. I concentrated on the Western/Cowboy because I had a couple of Deep Pocket Customers who were obsessed with Golden Age High Quality Westerns. I found in a seperate deal a lot of 76 1940-1950 NM-MINT Tom Mix and 4-Color Roy Rogers stuff. I paid $300.00 for the lot and had a customer come to my house the next evening and buy 1/2 of the lot for $10,500.00 dollars
    A couple of interesting things about the Mile High Collection are:
    #1. I would bet all the money I have ever owned that 80-90 percent of the stuff graded or being sold as coming from that collection is NOT. Come on, in the early days Dennis and I were grabbing handfulls of stuff and taking it to shows and then selling it as from the Mile High collection with no Provenance other than our words. If you didn't buy it directly for him or me, I wouldn't give any statement a hill of beans. Vice Versa we would see other dealers selling something and saying it was Mile High and when they were confronted they would back down as Dennis and I knew if it did or not, because we were selling most of it.
    #2 A very high percentage of the Mile High stuff was not all that perfect shape. Church haphazardly stacked the books all over the house. and most were not neatly stacked so Real Mile High stuff has a faded out sun strip on the side oppisite the spine. And most that I had were probably Fine/Very Fine, very little was true Nm-Mint. Just another reason I know most of the NM/MINT Mile High stuff was never near Edgar Chuch's house and never part of that find.
    #3 There was only one single copy of each and every comic issue number...Period, No Duplicates. Yet for years after I would see 3, 4, 5 different copies of say an Avengers #4 advertised as the Mile High copy...Give me a break!!!!
    #3 The Pedigree of the Real Mile High stuff is so muddied that Chuck tried peddling books with an Authentic looking certificate he had printed, and put in a mylar with each BS book he was selling, as the Second Mile High collection in the late 80's, what a Crook!!!

I could tell stories for hours of the Heydays of Comic Book Dealing in Denver form the early 80's to the mid 90's.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Neil I know the stories about Chuck but I haven't had any bad dealings with him personally. He would be able to at least offer an opinion on worth that he could use as a baseline.

I find it odd that people think he is a bad guy but it was the people he sold initially too that made all the big money like yourself off that collection (later it was the people who got some issues graded that made even more). According to him he had to sell some of it quick to pay off the money he borrowed to buy it.
  • Options
    My nephew recently returned my comics from the 60's, which my brother had confiscated years ago. Brother had a heart attack and nephew returned books to me. I collected DC comics and included were Justice League of America #1 and other early issues. Green Lantern # 1 and early issues. Hawkman #1
    (2 copies) and early issues, Rip Hunter Time Master #1. Some of the comics went back to 1955. The problem. I boxed them away in January of '65 and put them in my parents attic. Unfortunately they did not weather the years well being in an attic. Hot summers and cold winter. I wish I had know then to bag them and store them a little better.

Good luck in selling your find and congratulations on the find.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Morgoth,
    What you say is true about Chuck, I would say probably over the first few years some of us made a lot more money off the Church/Mile High stuff than he did. My personal problems don't relate directly to that collection. At the time, he hadn't in my opinion, developed the Business sleaziness yet that would come out later in the 80's.
    My business dealings that led to my low, low opinion of him transpired later in 1986-88, were over specific Deals slash Rip-Offs. And the piest te resistants was, he bought upwards of 100K worth of Golden Age/Silver Age Comics stolen from me by an Ex Wife, after being told they were mine, stolen, and warned to ceast and desist by Attorneys.

Neil
  • Options
    mrhighgrademrhighgrade Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My nephew recently returned my comics from the 60's, which my brother had confiscated years ago. Brother had a heart attack and nephew returned books to me. I collected DC comics and included were Justice League of America #1 and other early issues. Green Lantern # 1 and early issues. Hawkman #1
    (2 copies) and early issues, Rip Hunter Time Master #1. Some of the comics went back to 1955. The problem. I boxed them away in January of '65 and put them in my parents attic. Unfortunately they did not weather the years well being in an attic. Hot summers and cold winter. I wish I had know then to bag them and store them a little better.

Ron >>

What are the condition of the books? And do you still have them?
  • Options
    Well Neil it looks like you well founded reasons not to like the guy. Did you every recover your propety?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My nephew recently returned my comics from the 60's, which my brother had confiscated years ago. Brother had a heart attack and nephew returned books to me. I collected DC comics and included were Justice League of America #1 and other early issues. Green Lantern # 1 and early issues. Hawkman #1

Ron >>

What are the condition of the books? And do you still have them? >>

The pages have browned over the years. Some of the covers have come loose. Some are in relatively good shape. The heartbreaker, when I opened the box and was looking at them for the firast time since Jan. '65, I took the Green lantern #4 from the box and in picking it up, the cover ripped. The #4 issue was one of the covers the Post Office put on the DC stamp commem sheet. I closed the box and haven't looked since. I will try to post some pics within the week.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Very cool find!! I always stop by garage sales when I see them hopeing for a find like yours.
  • Options
    Neil:

That was an amazing read about the church find. You confirmed a couple questions that I had about the find... That these were not NM-MT specimens. I kind of imagine them stacked all over the place. Amazing to hear that many of the comics that are claimed to be a part of the pedigree probably are not. To have looked at and owned raw Church comics would certainly be the pinacle of almost every comic collector's collecting carreer.

-scott

My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Great find on those Avengers - if legit, $75 for that lot is fantasic. To me, the early Avengers were always the "no way I'll ever afford them" holy grail comics. Up until around 12 years ago I was a fairly hardcore comics guy, specifically geared towards the Avengers. I made it back to issue #60, and then gave up collecting altogether. I also dabbled in X-Men a little, plus Justice League. I was always a fan of the team-oriented books for some reason.
  • Options

<< <i>Neil:

That was an amazing read about the church find. You confirmed a couple questions that I had about the find... That these were not NM-MT specimens. I kind of imagine them stacked all over the place. Amazing to hear that many of the comics that are claimed to be a part of the pedigree probably are not. To have looked at and owned raw Church comics would certainly be the pinacle of almost every comic collector's collecting carreer.

-scott >>

Scott,
    Yeah, but the sad thing is that with all stories like this or my Mom threw out my Baseball cards...Ect.
    Hindsight is 20/20. At the time none of us involved realized the Bigger signifigance of what we were in the middle of. It just added a premium to Selling certain items. It didn't mean anything, now with age and a little better wisdom things would be different! I would hope. I have a dozen or so of the Church Comics with Signed Statements from Two witnesses stating the Pedegree of the items (Coming from Chuck), Super golden age stuff that will be sold in 7 years to help fund my Son's college.
    Neil

Morgoth,
    I think I told the whole story here a couple of years ago on a thread...Long story short, basically I ended up with pennies on the dollar and when the dust had all settled the Divorce cost me approx. $250K and most of my Comic and Coin Collection at the time. Basically I was out of collectibles for most of a decade until I couldn't stand it anymore and went into Non Sport cards.
    Started over from scratch and have built up a fairly decent small E-bay Business. But nothing will match the heyday of Comics in the 80's and 90's in Denver...Sometimes the money was just Wow!!!!!!
    Neil
  • Options
    Yep, comics had their boom and bust in the 90s about the same time as cards did. I blame Valiant even though I would love a complete Valiant run on Harbinger and Magnus.

For what it's worth 1986 was the best year ever for comics. Vintage market was kicking and Maus and Watchmen were released and Dark Knight was there also.

The sad thing is until the last 2 or 3 years with the influx of new writing talent, comics were regurgitating those Miller and Moore stories over and over.

I have a goal of completing the first 300 issues of Spiderman one day. I also would like to have some key xmen issues as well. I am a huge mid 80s fan and some in high grade are starting to really sell well. I think I will get all my childhood favs in graded form one day (Millers Daredevil run, ASM 300, Watchmen, DKR, JLI/JLA).

• Options

<< <i>Yep, comics had their boom and bust in the 90s about the same time as cards did. I blame Valiant even though I would love a complete Valiant run on Harbinger and Magnus.

For what it's worth 1986 was the best year ever for comics. Vintage market was kicking and Maus and Watchmen were released and Dark Knight was there also.

The sad thing is until the last 2 or 3 years with the influx of new writing talent, comics were regurgitating those Miller and Moore stories over and over.

I have a goal of completing the first 300 issues of Spiderman one day. I also would like to have some key xmen issues as well. I am a huge mid 80s fan and some in high grade are starting to really sell well. I think I will get all my childhood favs in graded form one day (Millers Daredevil run, ASM 300, Watchmen, DKR, JLI/JLA). >>

Yeah,
    And it was almost impossible to not make money off even new stuff in the mid 80's, I would pre-buy a box of 300 each Wolverine #1 at .35 cents each (Cover price was .75) from the distributor, and before they were even delivered, I was selling them in lots of 10 for $40-60 bucks each. And Dark Knight, I rode that wave, bought Pre-Sale 1st print, hundreds of them for I don't remember, $1-2 each and sold them for $35-$40 each. Death of Robin was the same way, I made Thousands and Thousands off that one.

85/86/87, I made well in excess of 100K each year on Comics and that was with a real full time job.
    I almost took the plunge in 86-87 and opened a Comic Store, was one step away from signing all the Lease papers when my personal situation turned to Sh%$T.

Ahhh those were the days!!!
    Neil
  • Options
    Hello - comic guy here. Took two days to register or I would have responded earlier.

The collection you've found is spectacular, and for $75, you have hit the lottery. The card equivalent would be me finding a 52 Topps set in a yard sale for fifty bucks. Please post scans, if you can, and if you're looking to flip them, do not sell them to Mile High as they will pay you pennies on the dollar.

Your best bet is to go to a comic show and shop them around. Spider-Man 1 in low grade is a $2K book, and the Avengers 1 and 4 have seen significant price appreciation over the past six months because of the upcoming Captain America movie.

• Options

<< <i>The card equivalent would be me finding a 52 Topps set in a yard sale for fifty bucks. >>

Easy there, we're mostly card collectors here, and that comparison is a bit of a stretch. I'll give it to you if you replace "52" with "75 nicely centered." image
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    scans and pictures please!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The card equivalent would be me finding a 52 Topps set in a yard sale for fifty bucks. >>

Easy there, we're mostly card collectors here, and that comparison is a bit of a stretch. I'll give it to you if you replace "52" with "75 nicely centered." image >>

I know what a 52 Topps set goes for in mid-grade, and I'll stand by it.image