Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1974 Baseball Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭
    I also agree that 1974 doesn't get the respect it deserves. I personally have always liked the design and is quite affordable compared to the years immediately preceding it (as 1974 was the first non-series year). I hope to someday get a really nice raw set once we can afford it, preferably with the Traded set to go with it.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    I felt compelled by this topic to share some details of my 1974 Topps Factory Set break from a few years ago and let me say sorry up front for the lengthy post... I started collecting cards in late 72' when I was 7 and collected into 1975. Not sure why I stopped, perhaps the 75 mini's turned me off (I'm from Michigan) as they wouldn't collate well with the other cards image? In 1974 though, my parents took me and my brother to Sears to buy each of us a complete 74' Topps as a reward for raking leaves one weekend. Boy, did I love that set...My parents were not wealthy by any means, so getting those sets was a rare treat. I didn't even take them out of the box to look at them as I wanted to keep them pristine. A short time after getting the sets however, I came home one day to find my 2 year old brother sitting in the middle of our bedroom with both set boxes dumped out in a big pile and he was throwing them around like a...well, like a 2 year old. Boy was I pissed! Both sets were mixed and all dinged up (not that I knew that was going to be a big deal back then)...Did I mention how pissed I was? Anyhow, from there they just got mixed in with the rest of our group collection of cards which were stored loose in a big storage trunk (with lots of dings and bends I'm sure). I'm not sure what happened to all those cards from our trunk, but I figure my brother took them when he moved away....Fast forward to 1988...I start getting the card bug again (likely due to the late 80's card surge so I start purchasing the Topps factory set each year and packing them away. During that same timeframe, I came to learn that my best friend's parents had also purchased the 74' Sears set for him and he was successful in keeping it intact. He knew that I had started collecting cards again, so at one point when he was short on cash, he offered it to me for $20. I purchased it (not really even knowing the full potential of the purchase at that time) and stored it away with my other sets from the late 80's. Fast forward again to 2001 or so (can't recall exactly) and I get a REAL card bug after seeing some things on Ebay etc. and then start purchasing all kinds of cards (vintage HOF's, 70's/80's sets, vintage lots etc. etc.). After a couple years of this and getting a little feel for what graded cards and PSA are all about, I decide to pull out that 74' set and see what might be gradeable (with selling in mind). So I sit down one afternoon and start carefully pulling each card out of the set box one by one and putting them into penny sleeves and toploaders. I then pulled out all of the stars and minor stars and sent them to PSA during one of their $5 specials. I think in all I sent in over 100 cards to be graded. These all returned as PSA 8's and 9's (no 10's ;( though) and a PSA 5 (missed a wrinkle on the McCovey). One thing I forgot to mention, sometime during the 90's I had heard that the first and last cards in a set box will sustain the most damage (makes sense right?)...so I pulled out the set at that time and moved the Hank Aaron All Time HR card from the front of the box to about 10-15 cards in to protect it. This is what makes me believe the set was in numerical order (which was recently questioned somewhere on these boards), but I cannot confirm that as I don't really remember about the rest. The Aaron #1 ended up getting an 8 (which I just recently sold). I sold many of the 9's along with quite a few raw cards (commons etc.) that I thought would get a 9 or better to Wayne (can't recall last name) who I believe is currently 4th on the 74' set registry. I just recently sold off the remaining PSA cards, but I still have the factory box, along with 500 or so of the remaining cards still in toploaders etc. stored away in my ever growing collection. Most of these were pretty well centered from what I recall also. Anyhow, still wish I had my original 74' set, but was glad to be able to get one later on to replace it...Forrest.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    FWIW-Mickey's is breaking a complete PSA graded 74 set. More than 200 9s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed reading your post, Forrest. Thanks for sharing!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stingray brought this "official 74" thread to my attention, Would love to discuss and trade with fellow 74 topps registry members. I've had a few cards that have been really tough to find in high grade, Obviously the #1 Hank Aaron is a toughy due to being the first card in the set, The Seaver card is almost always OC and the Kaline has been very tough to find in high grade also, I recently picked up a PSA 8 on Ebay but when i recieved it I was less than impressed so i am still on the search if anyone has one in PSA 8 or better. I was looking at the population reports and for the most part nothing really caught my attention as being really low pop, tough cards and I would just like to ask some of the other members what some of the tougher cards are to find in this set in PSA 8-9 grades. Looking forward to getting to know all of you

Jeff
  • Options
    Hi Jeff, I just sent you a PM regarding my 1974 PSA 7 wishlist.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    74s were the first set I collected and bought in packs. Was always looking for my Tigers cards, loved the Kaline card from that year!!
  • Options

<< <i>74s were the first set I collected and bought in packs. Was always looking for my Tigers cards, loved the Kaline card from that year!! >>

It was his last card, wasn't it?
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    Thanks to all of those that replied, I got an overwhelming response from fellow collectors like Estil and Hank Caddy and other fellow 74 registry members. In my opinion this is what makes our hobby so much fun. People that truely love collecting cards even if our significant others dont always understand! lol and share childhood memories with one another,trade with one another and the willingness of the members to help a fellow collector to fullfill his wishlist needs or just talk about the specific set in general. I've always found this message board to be very helpful and a great wealth of knowledge.

Thank you all for sharing and I look forward to meeting more of you.

Jeff
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

JUST ADDED THESE BEAUTS TO MY 74 SET, trying to get to 60% by the end of the year.
    starting to fill in a few of the more high dollar card, with as few commons to stretch the budget a little more.
    havent seen any post here for a while , thought i could bring back to the top.
    asnyone else workin on this set? or maybe even a team set from 74
    74 was the year before i started collecting card , so i thought i would tackle it!

imageimage
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭
    Don't get me started again, I really enjoy looking at the 74s. I don't want to start the set again! I was 7 and they introduced me to this obsession. It actually started with 73 hockey, but 74 baseball was next. I still enjoy seeing them. Thanks for posting the scans, nice stuff!
  • Options
    Henry,

Beautiful pick-ups. Glad to see your still pursuing the '74 set! I've noticed alot of increased buying activity lately on the higher end examples on Ebay. Good luck with the set and let me know if you have extra PSA 9's your looking to trade or sell

Jeff
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>74s were the first set I collected and bought in packs. Was always looking for my Tigers cards, loved the Kaline card from that year!! >>

It was his last card, wasn't it? >>

It was his last regular card, he was featured in the 75 set in the record breaker subset.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>JUST ADDED THESE BEAUTS TO MY 74 SET, trying to get to 60% by the end of the year.
    starting to fill in a few of the more high dollar card, with as few commons to stretch the budget a little more.
    havent seen any post here for a while , thought i could bring back to the top.
    asnyone else workin on this set? or maybe even a team set from 74
    74 was the year before i started collecting card , so i thought i would tackle it!

>>

I looked at your set and it looks very nice. I have an up and coming set below you. I'm sure we will be bumping bids on the bay , adventually.

I'm collecting 9 or 10's. I'm collecting multiple sets, for our 5 sons , and the 74's are not quite at the top of the list. I used to collect these when I was younger.

Good luck on your collecting---Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    [
    >>

I looked at your set and it looks very nice. I have an up and coming set below you. I'm sure we will be bumping bids on the bay , adventually.

I'm collecting 9 or 10's. I'm collecting multiple sets, for our 5 sons , and the 74's are not quite at the top of the list. I used to collect these when I was younger.

Good luck on your collecting---Sonny >>

SONNY, nice to see some other activity on this set, good luck
    and thanks for the kind words
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

A FEW new additions
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

2 NEW ARRIVALS
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Just got the grades back on my six free submissions for re-upping in the collector's club. One of the cards I got graded was the final card I needed for my '74 master set (PSA 8s and 9s). Very happy to say the least! image

6 1 15774098 MINT 9 1974 TOPPS 599 ROOKIE PITCHERS FRSL.-SAN DIEGO SM.PRINT Card US

Doubled the population.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Bob -- what a fantastic way to finish off your set!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got the grades back on my six free submissions for re-upping in the collector's club. One of the cards I got graded was the final card I needed for my '74 master set (PSA 8s and 9s). Very happy to say the least! image

6 1 15774098 MINT 9 1974 TOPPS 599 ROOKIE PITCHERS FRSL.-SAN DIEGO SM.PRINT Card US

Doubled the population. >>

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I am trying to complete my 1974 Topps Cincinnati reds team set in PSA 9. I need the following cards to complete it. If you can assist please PM me with your price. I appreciate it.

34 1974 TOPPS ANDY KOSKO
    111 1974 TOPPS CLAY CARROLL
    248 1974 TOPPS TOM HALL
    277 1974 TOPPS GARY NOLAN
    524 1974 TOPPS BILL PLUMMER
    601 1974 TOPPS ROOKIE OUTFIELDERS ARMBRISTER/BLADT/DOWNING/MCBRIDE
    608 1974 ROOKIE PITCHERS APODACA/BANEY/DACQUISTO/WALLACE
    622 1974 TOPPS PHIL GAGLIANO
  • Options
    these 2 aarons finish off the hank aaron specials for the set for me
    all in 9 except for the number 1,
    now up to about 65% on this 74 set

2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I am selling off my nearly 300 PSA 8 dupes ending over the next few weeks. All cards starting at $1.99. Many cards that seldom come up for sale. Link
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Anybody see some of the incredible prices Sufferjet's PSA 9's are fetching on Ebay? The '74 set most certainly has risen in popularity of late IMO.
  • Options
    i haVE been watching....he is kiiling it
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Have the following... #481 Jerry Terrell PSA 10

If interested, shoot me a PM.
  • Options
    oddityoddity Posts: 124 ✭✭

<< <i>I am selling off my nearly 300 PSA 8 dupes ending over the next few weeks. All cards starting at $1.99. Many cards that seldom come up for sale. Link >>

I'm not specifically a collector of this set, but he had a few cards I was interested in.....

I bid on 2 cards he had for sale. The first one I wanted, I placed a snipe bid (I thought was over paying my way to a sure win), and I lost to another last second sniper. On the other card I really wanted, I won on a snipe bid. I could have had it at a great deal, but another last second sniper bid me up at approximately the same time my winning bid went through. I'm sure I over paid for it, but it was a card I've been waiting for for some time.

Sounds like the auctioneer made out pretty well on his stash....

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both 1974 and 1973 have been on a roll lately. I won very few. I'm finding avoiding set breaks can be good for your wallet. I won a '74 PSA 9 Hebner for something like $28 from the seat break while another from another seller closing around the same time went for about $10. I haven't been winning many cards. I think the recent higher prices will bring more cards out of the woodwork and therefore the prices down. Some 9s that were selling for $8 a few years ago when they were hitting the 'Bay every month are now selling for $30 because few to none have been auctioned in the past 1-2 years. They aren't rare cards, it's just fewer people seem to be selling on eBay these days or use ridiculous bins to try to move their inventory.
  • Options
    Boom. Totally agree. I bid on about 100 cards from suffer jets set break and won about 5. I noticed the Hebner. There were some other really far out prices too ("Stork" Theodore for ~$130??).

I already noticed another seller doing a set break right after sufferjets'. These prices should def bring out more sellers. Same with 73s.
  • Options
    I have an extra George "Stork" Theodore available in Mint 9..................very difficult in this grade. PM me if interested

$99 (what a bargain compared to sufferjet price paid) includes shipping.

[URL=http://s424.photobucket.com/user/macboube/media/theo001.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Found another low pop MINT 9 - very tuff.
    $60 includes shipping. PM if of interest.

[URL=http://s424.photobucket.com/user/macboube/media/74001.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards guys, I'm looking for a PSA 8.5 or 9 Willie Stargell please PM if available.

Thanks
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON