Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Odd DC D reverse doubling

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a DDR to me, you might want to send it to Coneca to verify that it is and get your name listed for the discovery if it is a DDR. It looks like one that the "experts" would want to see in hand.

I'd also think if it's not some sort of tricky error (as opposed to a hub doubled coin/doubled die) that some other examples should be showing up.

Maybe Errormaven can tell you how to send it. image
    Ed
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions on how to proceed on this coin. I really appreciate all the good advice
    I`ve gotten. I may indeed have it sent off for expert analysis if it turns out to be exceedlngly rare (which i dont really think it is but, who really knows at this point) I`m fairly confident more will show up soon enough and be verified authentic. I just have a wait-and-see
    attitude about all this,so thats sorta my plans for the time being. Even if I miss some chance to `cash-in` on an early feeding frenzy
    before the interest(value) die, so be it. I`ll still have my first, or atleast one of the first reported major error discovery coins.
    Anyway you slice it, its still a feather in me cap so, I`m happy
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Find any more?? image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone have any idea what the die life span might be for State quarters? Would this error probably be limited to just one die?? >>

Its more than likely it is just the one die for "this" one however, I feel confident that another "could" be found and once this one hits the streets, you can bet $25 per roll that a lot of the 2009-D's will be searched for more.

This is just too, too cool for the OP to come across!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I feel like there are plenty of these out there, just waiting to be found. I think that it will be a few days before this hits the mainstream numismatic press, but when it does, the rolls of D DC quarters will go up a good amount in value and people will start finding more.

-Paul
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Has an image of the DDR been sent to Coin World or Numismatic News?
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Should have a few rolls Monday. We'll take a look & report back image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Sure looks like a DDR to me. Nice find!

It is, however - the same Class 8 doubling that has surfaced on a number of other State Quarter designs, the 2005 Ocean View nickels, and modern 'Column Doubled" Lincoln Cents -- having doubling limited to just the center of the design. I had a feeling that if this sort of doubling involved a letter or number - it would have a much bigger "WOW" factor than doubled rocks, branches, columns, earlobes or saddle horns. Based on the posts here, this sure seems to be the case. If some of these other series are any indication, there are probably several versions of these DC DDRs out there. I guess I'll have to get back into searching the quarters again.

This Wyoming DDR is really bold - but the doubling involves only the saddle horn (no letters) at the center of the design. I've seen a few for sale on eBay, and it is pretty clear that there is little interest in the Wyoming DDRs.

In terms of overall amount of doubling, I think the 2005 Oregon DDR 1 and DDR 2 are still the most impressive DDRs in the State Quarters. But again -- being extra branches and extra rocks -- and NOT involving letters or some other feature that clearly look like doubling -- the 'WOW' factor is not there for these varieties either -- except perhaps to some of us hard-core DV collectors. I still like them all and have a State Quarter DV collection exceeding 125 different varieties.

And here are a few of the 2005 OIV DDRs... Very bold - but again no letters involved.

-----
    KR
  • Options
    koinprokoinpro Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Hello,
    I'm currently working on an article for Coin World that features two different doubled die reverses for the DC quarter. I'd like to include this one into the feature also if I can. Can you send one for photography and return? If you can, please reply direct to me as I rarely visit forum type sites due to a lack of time.
    Thanks!
    Ken Potter
    Coin World Columnist
    Numismatic News Feature Writer
    ken@koinpro.com
    313-255-8907
    313-268-3280
    Ken Potter's Variety Vault, Educational Coin Gallery, CONECA, CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NLG, CSNS, NWDCC, IASAC, WBCC, Fly-In
  • Options
    looking through rolls now, searched seven with no luck
  • Options
    Thanks Ken
    YHM

I just got 10 more rolls today and pulled 3 rolls to search here in alittle while.
    If I`m lucky again yall will be the first to hear about it.

• Options
    Wow that is an awesome discovery. Quite a nice looking doubled die and congrats on finding more.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You just made a huge discovery.

I have a feeling this will rank up there with the 1995 DDO Lincoln. >>

More along the lines of Wisconsin quarters, I would think.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Well, I been trying to get some 2009 DCs from the D mint at face and managed to pick up one bank roll today from Compass bank. My wife got it for me. Odds slim, but who knows. image

Nice find btw.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    Have There Been Any other Finds or Reports on This one Anywhere? I Read about the Dealer to Dealer report in one of the Posts,but wondered if there were actually anymore Confirmed Finds? This is One Awsome looking Find! Congrats! image Ray in Florida..
  • Options
    I emailed Ken Potter my info etc for what was going to be in an article for an upcoming
    Coin World article he was preparing to write on this coin. I guess he has what he needs
    except for the coin, to proceed with the write-up. He hasnt returned my email so, maybe
    he doesnt need my coin to look at and has one already from somewhere else?
    Thats okay if thats the case. One thing though I thought of is, do I need to sorta hurry up and get
    one of these slabbed for a `discovery coin` designation, if I am the first to submit one?
    And does that, or, would that matter to you if you were me.....

• Options
    Your coin was shown on the Coneca forum and Dr. James Wiles was wanting to take a look at it to photo and get in the files. If it were mine, I personally would like to have a discovery piece and could sell for more.

Lestrrr
  • Options
    Thats cool. I may to late to get that designation.
  • Options

<< <i>I emailed Ken Potter my info etc for what was going to be in an article for an upcoming
    Coin World article he was preparing to write on this coin. I guess he has what he needs
    except for the coin, to proceed with the write-up. He hasnt returned my email so, maybe
    Thats okay if thats the case. One thing though I thought of is, do I need to sorta hurry up and get
    one of these slabbed for a `discovery coin` designation, if I am the first to submit one?
    And does that, or, would that matter to you if you were me..... >>

Ken Potter's Variety Vault, Educational Coin Gallery, CONECA, CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NLG, CSNS, NWDCC, IASAC, WBCC, Fly-In
  • Options

<< <i>I emailed Ken Potter my info etc for what was going to be in an article for an upcoming
    And does that, or, would that matter to you if you were me..... >>

Lee,
    I've sent email's to you on both the 6th and again on the 13th indicating that I'd like to have the coin here to photograph for the Coin World story. After not hearing back either time, I convinced CW to go with your image. There are still more questions that I would have like to have asked if you could have supplied a phone number for a phone interview as per my earlier request. For now I should be fine but I'd still like to follow up with a story featuring better images that are closer up and more details or maybe you can catch me before I sent the article off to CW (we are very close to deadline right now but I may be able to send in a revision as late as 8:00 AM EST tomorrow). Call me if you can. Lets not depend on email as it does not seem that your server is accepting my mail based on what you said.
    Thanks!
    Ken Potter
    313-255-8907
    313-268-3280
    kpotter256@aol.com
  • Options

<< <i>Tilted hub doubling. That sounds right from the explaination of what type of hub doubling this is.
    I wasnt sure and hadnt yet researched it further. Thanks for doing the leg-work Lee.
    image >>

Lee,
    To see the original treatment on Tilted Hub doubling that is being quoted from on this forum, go here:
    http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/2005PMinnDDRImages.htm
    Go to nearly the bottom of the page.
    This is one of several versions that I wrote in 2006 that many quote from today.
    Ken
  • Options
    Great talking to you on the phone Mr. Potter. Not sure why your emails went into my spam box,
    and glad you metioned that they might be there, and they were.
    Anyway, I look forward to getting one of these quarters to you for a better look and a listing number
    for the graders to have when I finally do send the coin(s) in for authentication etc.
    Cheers
  • Options
    I Searched several Rolls soo far. I Found only a Few with the doubling in Liberty,and only ONE With Ellington Doubled. How about some Feedback on this Please besides my Terrible Pictures. Ray in Florida..

• Options

<< <i>I Searched several Rolls soo far. I Found only a Few with the doubling in Liberty,and only ONE With Ellington Doubled. How about some Feedback on this Please besides my Terrible Pictures. Ray in Florida..

image >>

Ray,
    The double on LIBERTY may just be die deterioration doubling but the doubling on ELLINGTON may be a new variety as it appears different that the one Lee found.
    I have a strory that will appear in next week's Coin World (the digital version should be assessable tomorrow afternoon) that shows Lee's variety plus a couple surprises saved as an exclusive the Coin World readers too see first. The surprises will be posted later (after CW get a chance to post the digital version) on the CONECA website at www.conecaonline.org for those who want to see what they are.
    In any event I will be following up with better images of Lee's coin a week later. If you want to get this one into the story I suggest you contact me at 313-255-8907 or cell: 313-268-3280 or email at ken@koinpro.com to make arrangements to get the coin here in time for the story. I can't promice but they might be front page stories.
    Thanks!
    Ken Potter
    Coin World columnist
    CONECA Webmaster
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I Searched several Rolls soo far. I Found only a Few with the doubling in Liberty,and only ONE With Ellington Doubled. How about some Feedback on this Please besides my Terrible Pictures. Ray in Florida..

image >>

Ray,
    The double on LIBERTY may just be die deterioration doubling but the doubling on ELLINGTON may be a new variety as it appears different that the one Lee found.
    I have a strory that will appear in next week's Coin World (the digital version should be assessable tomorrow afternoon) that shows Lee's variety plus a couple surprises saved as an exclusive the Coin World readers too see first. The surprises will be posted later (after CW get a chance to post the digital version) on the CONECA website at www.conecaonline.org for those who want to see what they are.
    In any event I will be following up with better images of Lee's coin a week later. If you want to get this one into the story I suggest you contact me at 313-255-8907 or cell: 313-268-3280 or email at ken@koinpro.com to make arrangements to get the coin here in time for the story. I can't promice but they might be front page stories.
    Thanks!
    Ken Potter
    Coin World columnist
    CONECA Webmaster >>

Thank you Ken, I'm Looking forward to Seeing the Article and Lee's Great Find! I already have Mine on the way to you,Priority Mail. Hopefully it will arrive in Time. Ray in Florida..
  • Options
    So when is the article about these coming out?
  • Options

<< <i>So when is the article about these coming out? >>

Article is online now.

Anyone have a subscription to CoinWorld and could tell us what it says?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    I just read the article which pretty much repeats what is already known.

I'd share the story but there are copyright laws you know. I would suggest that folks go ahead and register for the Digital Edition for the latest.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I just read the article which pretty much repeats what is already known.

I'd share the story but there are copyright laws you know. I would suggest that folks go ahead and register for the Digital Edition for the latest. >>

I did but somehow my illiterate self left my daughters email address in the email field and now I can't get to my confirmation page. I called CoinWorld but I can't change the email until 3 days after my initial subscription day. God I am so stupid.
  • Options
    Nothing on conecaonline.org ?
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing on conecaonline.org ? >>

No article but it's on their forum: image

in the forum

Ed
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nothing on conecaonline.org ? >>

No article but it's on their forum: image

in the forum >>

The teaser story to the Coin World story is now on the www.conecaonline.org website. It shows Lee's coin (now well-known to this thread) and two new doubled dies for the Philadelphia Mint DC quarter.
    Ken
  • Options
    I have read the article. Will there be a follow up to this article soon? Has Ken received the coin in question? Any updates would be great.
  • Options
    Hello,

I got five rolls in North Dallas when I was there on leave. So far I have only looked through one roll without any signs of reverse doubling.

A couple of the coins are in pretty clean high grade though. Any idea on how many of these have been minted? With the economy it may be worth my money to hold onto them.

thanks for any thoughts.

Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options
    I'm waiting for this CW article to come out---when it does I'm convinced these will start being found in droves.

Just managed to get 30 rolls from a guy in Houston. With a lot of luck there'll be some DDR's in there. I've stockpiled a bunch of rolls from people all over the country (and left the rolls sealed), but these are the first I've gotten from Houston, and I intend to go through at least some of them.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm waiting for this CW article to come out---when it does I'm convinced these will start being found in droves.

Just managed to get 30 rolls from a guy in Houston. With a lot of luck there'll be some DDR's in there. I've stockpiled a bunch of rolls from people all over the country (and left the rolls sealed), but these are the first I've gotten from Houston, and I intend to go through at least some of them. >>

Good luck Will! I went through quite a few rolls from Houston with no luck, unfortunately...

-Paul
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    I thought I would have to dig for this thread but here it is on the first page. I went to the Money Museum inside the Federal Reserve here in Kansas City. They have a change machine that is usually updated with the most recent quarter design issue. I was expecting the Puerto Rico but they still had the DC's stocked. Of the $20 that I put in, 11 of the quarters were the same doubling as the OPs coin. One of these was also clipped, somewhere around 10-15% would be my guess.
    imageRIP
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I would have to dig for this thread but here it is on the first page. I went to the Money Museum inside the Federal Reserve here in Kansas City. They have a change machine that is usually updated with the most recent quarter design issue. I was expecting the Puerto Rico but they still had the DC's stocked. Of the $20 that I put in, 11 of the quarters were the same doubling as the OPs coin. One of these was also clipped, somewhere around 10-15% would be my guess

Robb, Pictures PLEASE!! Ray in Florida..
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I would have to dig for this thread but here it is on the first page. I went to the Money Museum inside the Federal Reserve here in Kansas City. They have a change machine that is usually updated with the most recent quarter design issue. I was expecting the Puerto Rico but they still had the DC's stocked. Of the $20 that I put in, 11 of the quarters were the same doubling as the OPs coin. One of these was also clipped, somewhere around 10-15% would be my guess. >>

Hmm...The plot thickens. Pictures?

-Paul
  • Options
    I can't find any erorrs like that on the 'Bay
  • Options

<< <i>I can't find any erorrs like that on the 'Bay >>

It hasn't hit the mainstream yet and really not many know about this error. I believe once it does and collectors start reading and hearing about
    this error, there will be a premium on the D mint rolls.

I'm sitting on 45 rolls right now and just waiting. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't find any erorrs like that on the 'Bay >>

It hasn't hit the mainstream yet and really not many know about this error. I believe once it does and collectors start reading and hearing about
    this error, there will be a premium on the D mint rolls.

I'm sitting on 45 rolls right now and just waiting. image >>

Me Too, I also have a few $25.00 mint bag's image
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Has KP examined the coin yet?
  • Options

<< <i>Has KP examined the coin yet? >>

I have not examined it yet. I just got back from the hospital with my wife who was taken there due to a complication with a recent surgery. I'm sure the coin in question has been sitting in my PO Box for a few days now and will be there tomorrow.
    I'll get closer up phones, etc., that were requested by CW then.
    Thanks!
    Ken Potter
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one starting to question this? Word has been out for weeks yet only 2 individuals have found the ddr, and only one has posted photos.

Seems like more should have surfaced by now. I have searched many rolls too. No confirmation either...

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Am I the only one starting to question this? Word has been out for weeks yet only 2 individuals have found the ddr, and only one has posted photos.

Seems like more should have surfaced by now. I have searched many rolls too. No confirmation either... >>

I have 45 rolls that I haven't searched and was hoping to sell once this is confirmed so I hope there is some truth that more exist.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...anyone else...?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Ken, I`m really sorry to hear of your wife`s complications. I now know why I havn`t heard back from you on the coin.
    Let me just say, I`m not so much worried about my coin getting looked at as I am about your wife getting
    all your attention at this time. Take all the time you and her need to deal with with her situation before any business we might have.

I have just decided to donate the coin to you and her. If you want to have it auctioned to help defray some of the medical bills etc.
    please do so. You have my personal blessings sir.

All the best to you and her

• Options
    AskRaqAskRaq Posts: 2,303

<< <i>Ken, I`m really sorry to hear of your wife`s complications. I now know why I havn`t heard back from you on the coin.
    Let me just say, I`m not so much worried about my coin getting looked at as I am about your wife getting
    all your attention at this time. Take all the time you and her need to deal with with her situation before any business we might have.

I have just decided to donate the coin to you and her. If you want to have it auctioned to help defray some of the medical bills etc.
    please do so. You have my personal blessings sir.

All the best to you and her >>

A million props on that offer - very nice ~ image
  • Options
    Thanks Raquel but its really the least I could do to show some support for someone I consider
    a great friend, not just to me but for the collecting community as a whole. After all, Ken had offered his services
    to me for free in the first place. How cool of him was that!? anyway, untill someone wants to
    place some collector value on it its only a quarter for now. Weather it turns out to be a scarce error or not
    that doesnt concern me as much as friendship issues. Some things are just more important than little discs of metal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file