Home U.S. Coin Forum

Odd DC D reverse doubling

13»

Comments

• << <i>Ken, I`m really sorry to hear of your wife`s complications. I now know why I havn`t heard back from you on the coin.
    Let me just say, I`m not so much worried about my coin getting looked at as I am about your wife getting
    all your attention at this time. Take all the time you and her need to deal with with her situation before any business we might have.

I have just decided to donate the coin to you and her. If you want to have it auctioned to help defray some of the medical bills etc.
    please do so. You have my personal blessings sir.

All the best to you and her >>

Lee, I Know you and I Have spoken on PM and i could Tell from your Writing That You were a good Person. This Just Proves What a CLASS ACT Guy you really Are! I'm Proud To Know you. image Ray in Florida..

• << <i>Thanks Raquel but its really the least I could do to show some support for someone I consider
    a great friend, not just to me but for the collecting community as a whole. After all, Ken had offered his services
    to me for free in the first place. How cool of him was that!? anyway, untill someone wants to
    place some collector value on it its only a quarter for now. Weather it turns out to be a scarce error or not
    that doesnt concern me as much as friendship issues. Some things are just more important than little discs of metal. >>

Cam that is a very generous offer you made. I have so much respect for people when they do good deeds. You sir are a true and kind gentleman.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:

• << <i>Thanks Raquel but its really the least I could do to show some support for someone I consider
    a great friend, not just to me but for the collecting community as a whole. After all, Ken had offered his services
    to me for free in the first place. How cool of him was that!? anyway, untill someone wants to
    place some collector value on it its only a quarter for now. Weather it turns out to be a scarce error or not
    that doesnt concern me as much as friendship issues. Some things are just more important than little discs of metal. >>

imageimage

• << <i>Ken, I`m really sorry to hear of your wife`s complications. I now know why I havn`t heard back from you on the coin.
    Let me just say, I`m not so much worried about my coin getting looked at as I am about your wife getting
    all your attention at this time. Take all the time you and her need to deal with with her situation before any business we might have.

I have just decided to donate the coin to you and her. If you want to have it auctioned to help defray some of the medical bills etc.
    please do so. You have my personal blessings sir.

All the best to you and her >>

Wow Lee! That is very generous. Your stock has hit an all time high in my book. I wish all the good people here lived close enough so we could all enjoy each other's company.

Mad props to you!
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Thank you all for your kind words.but would add, I`m sure any of you nice folks out there
    would probably do the same given the chance. It just seemed the right thing to do anyway.

I havnt had any communications with Ken yet on my gifting of the quarter ,as of this writting
    but I just hope he takes me up on the offer.

It (coin)was only one of three that I pulled from those five OBW rolls,so I suppose if Ken can
    get that listing number from Mike Farrone, we can get the right info on any future submission form(s)

Seriously though, Lets all pray, and/or send out all your good vibes to Ken and his wife during
    a difficult time right now.

• grabbagrabba Posts: 1,251
    New article in CoinWorld about this coin. It has been confirmed!
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Is it on the front page ?
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭
    Yea, front page.
    Rob the Newbie
  • koinprokoinpro Posts: 29 ✭✭

<< <i>Thank you all for your kind words.but would add, I`m sure any of you nice folks out there
    would probably do the same given the chance. It just seemed the right thing to do anyway.

I havnt had any communications with Ken yet on my gifting of the quarter ,as of this writting
    but I just hope he takes me up on the offer.

It (coin)was only one of three that I pulled from those five OBW rolls,so I suppose if Ken can
    get that listing number from Mike Farrone, we can get the right info on any future submission form(s)

Seriously though, Lets all pray, and/or send out all your good vibes to Ken and his wife during
    a difficult time right now. >>

Hi Lee,
    My wife is getting much better now, getting around and back to insisting she cook and force me to eat more than I want.
    As you probably know my photos of the coin are in this week's CW with the story teased in the front page and starting on page 5 (I think). Lee, I'm flabergased by your offer to let me keep this coin even though you only had three to start with! I almost feel guilty but I love it so much I'll take you up on the offer and hope I never have to sell it to cover our medical bills (I retired from Chrysler so you never know). I passed the images around to some big names in the hobby like Bill Fivaz, Q. David Bowers, John Wexler, etc., for their comments and they are very favorable so far. I plan a version of the story for NN for next week. Here are some of the latest images.
    Thanks to all for your nice comments and prayers for my wife!!!!!
    Ken
    Ken Potter's Variety Vault, Educational Coin Gallery, CONECA, CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NLG, CSNS, NWDCC, IASAC, WBCC, Fly-In
  • koinprokoinpro Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Ken Potter's Variety Vault, Educational Coin Gallery, CONECA, CONECA-HLM, ANA-LM, MSNS-HLM, NLG, CSNS, NWDCC, IASAC, WBCC, Fly-In
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Congradulations To All involved image How about a link image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Great pics! image

linky
    Ed
    Wow! Those are great pics!
    And you pointed out a couple of more things I didn`t see before.
    Like the extra piano key poking out from the front of the keys
    and the doubled key nearest his sleeve.

Also, I`m glad your wife is doing better and you will take me up
    on my offer to keep the coin. Its worth it to me just to see those
    nice close up pics.

Cheers image
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have any more of these been found in other cities across the country?
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Wow... That coin alone with fetch over 5 figures to the right buyer.. I wonder if someone will help Lee, sell one for a great profit..

Giving coins away is one thing, but giving a new car to someone is totally different..image
    that would be a hoot. me drive up and show my dad the new vette, you know dad, the one you always
    said you`d get me? ..selective memory, his!

• YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Picked up 3 rolls today P mint.. All coins would go MS 66 pretty nice batch.. But I have a few that would of went MS 68 if it wasn't for some weird marks.. Looks like chops marks, two side by side deep chops, the marks/indents look like mini bars of gold..

I have 2 coins with the word United that looks like it has been filed down with a tool, very weird, probably a worn die. I have 2 other coins with small die chips or vam marks above right shoulder..

I have one very nice perfect coin with pl image and could be the highest grade ever but the ELL in the word/name Ellington is chopped sliced, another die problem..

OH well lucky you with those DD's.. I will continue to search.. Again I got my rolls today at Suntrust Bank in Waldorf Md.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭
    Any new finds? I noticed that the U.S. Mint Rolls of these are going for $160. Do these ebayers know something or is it just hard to find these.DC Rolls
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any New Finds. I noticed that the U.S. Mint Rolls of these are going for $160. Do these ebayers know something or is it just hard to find these.DC Rolls >>

From what I understand, CAM40 found his DDR's in Bank Rolls, not US Mint Rolls. Other than lower sales figures I don;t know why someone would spend so much for the R63 product.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭
    Have seen much of these around. These could be rare. Any updates. Have anymore been found?
    A few months ago, I went through the last handfull of rolls I had from
    the rolls I got at the bank back then. Of the 6-8 rolls left I found only one
    more DDR. So, in all, I found only 4 coins in the 10, or so, rolls I originally got.

• misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

Thanks for the update Cam40.

Sorry you didn't find any more.

I have had no luck even finding rolls to search.

This is one rare doubled die!

Just hoping it is listed in any new Cherrypickers' Guide or in a future Redbook.

• misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

Here are some nice photos.

Hope this link works (Wexlers' Coins and Die Varieties) http://doubleddie.com/65301.html
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "E" in Ellington is huge! YOU have found the real deal!!imageimageimageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file