• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.. although I prefer them with one side intact.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    obverses posted
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

1853 w/ Arrows Quarter (one year type)
    greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.. and thanks for the obverses... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should image some of mine. No pics right now.

This is a cool thread, though. I think love tokens deserve more lovin', so TTT we go.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This little package was in the stuff my Grandma left me.

When I opened it I found this.

I sure wish I knew something about it, but no one in the family seems to know.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    relicsncoins, that's fantastic!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Reverse of a 1919 Lincoln.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ, that is a very nice cent. That gives a new meaning to In God We Trust.!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got this one in the mail yesterday.
  • Options
    Fantastic!

If that were neatly holed at the top, I'd really lust after it for my Holey Coin Vest.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Okay, these are cool, but what are they? Any background/history would be greatly appreciated. I never heard of 'em!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I am not a collector of Love Tokens, I do have several that were passed down over the years. These pieces were given to me in the '60's with the explanation that they were my great grandmothers'. I do not know who is represented by some of the pieces with initials, but the one with "Con" on it is for my grandfather who was born in 1894. Since his name was passed down to me (I am Conrad III) it has some sentimental value. I have rarely seen the rings and clasps for these bracelets. Over the years, they probably just disappear.

Sorry for the quick and crummy pics, but that's the best I can get in a hurry. One pic for the "obverses" and another for the "reverses". The only date that is readable is 1877.

I have a really hard time figuring out the initials on these.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Necklace

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, these are cool, but what are they? Any background/history would be greatly appreciated. I never heard of 'em! >>

In most cases, they were created by individual artisans as gifts. Frequently given to loved ones, thus the term love token. There are examples that are as old as the coin itself, as well as more recently carved pieces. Some of the more ornate and decorative examples can bring pretty strong money.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    These are coins that have been hand-engraved as folk art. Though they've been done for centuries, this sort of artistry reached its pinnacle in the late 19th century, from about the 1870s to 1890s. Seated dimes and gold dollars are two common coins that are often found re-engraved as love tokens.

They're called "love tokens" because it was traditional to give your lady love one with her name or initials on it. However, in reality, they were created and given for a number of purposes.

The engraving, as with all original artwork, can range from the crude to the sublime. The one Musky posted in the first post is very nice.

These are like collecting coins AND artwork at the same time. And they're inexpensive, usually, with dimes running anywhere from about $9-15, on up to $20+ for nicer ones. (Or, as Russ mentioned, way on up into the low stratosphere for superb examples.)

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. The ornate designs are very impressive, and I am glad to know about these. I would cherish one if it had been handed down in my family.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I too have about 5 or 6 of these tokens. thanks for showing them. I wish I could show mine. perhaps 2morrow I'll give it a shot.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I've got three or four Seated dime love tokens (and a Barber dime, I think) on my Holey Coin Vest, but I don't have pix of them.

It is tempting to try and collect a date set of Seated dimes with love token reverses. Because the reverses will usually be planed off and reengraved, one doesn't have to worry about rare mintmarks and such- it is just a simple, one-a-year set.

I wonder if any of you Seated dime folk have considered this project? Surely somebody has.

If not, I might have to take it on. I added another piece recently. For starters, I would just focus on the Legend Obverse series from 1860 on, since their run was the heyday of love token making.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my only one, has my initials and my grandfather's birth year on a silver dime

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ttt

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Here's a 1 dollar gold piece that must have been made for someone special. It certainly broke my heart. I acquired it from a collection that I was liquidating.

imageimage

Sorry for the poor quality but you get the idea. image
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    engravedengraved Posts: 185 ✭✭

It says "Mack, I wish you another quarter century. Hazen 1870" It looks like a gift from Hazen to Mack for his 25th birthday. It's on a quarter that dates 25 years earlier to presumably Mack's birth year of 1845.
    Always interested in nice love tokens and engraved coins.
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I've always loved these, but have never acquired any for some reason. Maybe I need to keep my eye's peeledimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    my new 1856 seated half dime love token

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
  • Options

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I don['t have a pic, but several years ago, I found a Seated Dime on EBay with my wife's intitials. Needless to say, I bought it. It looks very much like the style of the coin posted by relicsncoins.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Here are just a handfull of some cool love tokens. I have about 750 or so imaged.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file