Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Greg Maddux Master/Basic set thread

Apperantly there isn't a thread. How is that possible?

Anyway, I recently started the master set. Some of the cards in my inventory have yet to be added to the master set but I assume they will be soon. I have about 20 at PSA right now and another 50 or so ready to sub. I am way down on the registry list but it appears to be a very active set since everyone on the current finest list has added cards in the last month. Feel free to PM me if you have any extras to offer.

Comments

• 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Rumor is he is on the steroid list with a-rod . . . you might consider dumping his stuff before it becomes public.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Rumor is he is on the steroid list with a-rod . . . you might consider dumping his stuff before it becomes public. >>

A rumor is only as valuable as the sources that are spreading it. Link to the rumor, please.
  • Rumors are exactly how guys who have done nothing wrong have their names ruined. Show me some proof and then we can talk, untill then, STOP SPREADING RUMORS! I do not believe he took steriods and if he did then I'll rethink how I feel when someone puts out some hardline evidence. I think Greg was a fantastic player and I think he did it clean. So right now, my set and my memories are priceless. Not worth DUMPING!
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

• << <i>Rumor is he is on the steroid list with a-rod . . . you might consider dumping his stuff before it becomes public. >>

Typical moronic response.

<< <i>His brother was way better. >>

And my wife is way hotter.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Recently picked this up in a lot of PSA/DNA autos:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • You will send that card to me.

That was a Jedi mind trick. I am PM'ing you my address.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm #8 on the Basic & Collectors set, down from a high of #6 or so.

I need to work on this set, maybe even reactivate my Master set, too.
  • Glad to see Maddux get some renewed interest on the message boards. I've been going back through pitcher stats from the 90's and comparing them to the top pitchers of previous eras and Maddux's stuff is just amazing. I think people understand he was good, but now sure if they understand just how good. I think Maddux and Nolan Ryan, even though they are legends, just aren't held in the light that they should be. I think those two are respected but their accomplishments are far more incredible than most understand.
    Le Mieux Collection

• << <i>Glad to see Maddux get some renewed interest on the message boards. >>

As a Braves fan, I have admired Maddux for a while and am glad I was able to see him pitch many times in his prime and in a Braves uniform. I have also tried to model my son's pitching mechanics after Maddux. He's only 10 and doesn't quite understand the concept of an "off-speed" pitch.

On a different note, picked up these 3 cards Monday from a forum user:

1994 COLL. CHOICE GREG MADDUX SILVER SIGNATURE # 183 PSA 10
    1992 PINNACLE GREG MADDUX # 608 PSA 10
    1995 TOPPS GREG MADDUX DAVID CONE # 392 PSA 10
  • Yeah, I love the Braves myself. They've been my favorite team since I was a little kid and first got interested in baseball. I went to college in Mississippi (I went to Ole Miss, sorry LSUTigers1973, but we're rivals in that regard) and we used to drive over to Atlanta on the weekends and catch a couple Braves games. When I pitched, I used Maddux's slow and steady pitching style. It never seemed like he put a lot of effort into his motion, but man those pitches moved and guys kept swinging and missing. I used his short stride approach when throwing from the set, especially when I wanted to take a little off a pitch. It kept runners from stealing as much because of the quick delivery and it helped slow my arm motion down enough to take a good bit off of a circle change. I also notiched I'd get some good 12 to 6 drop on his circle change with the slower arm motion. Also, get your son a Wilson A2000. I had the kind Maddux used and I'll tell you it helps with the defense off the mound. It also saves your @$$ on some of those liners back at you. The bigger glove plays like a vacum coming off the hill! I know it helped Greg win at least some of those 18 Gold Gloves. I'm going to miss seeing Maddux on the hill, anywhere in the league for that matter. I used to watch Dodgers and Padres games just to see him one more time on the mound. It seemed like those two teams never understood how Maddux worked. As soon as he'd get down a few runs they'd yank him. I think he could of had several more wins tacked onto his career totals if they would have left him in the game like Bobby used to in Atlanta. Maddux on the mound at Turner will always be a great memory. It's sad to see those days end but when they call Greg to the hall and he puts on that Navy & Red cap with the crisp white A, that will be a great day!
    Le Mieux Collection

• << <i>I'm going to miss seeing Maddux on the hill, anywhere in the league for that matter. I used to watch Dodgers and Padres games just to see him one more time on the mound. >>

Last year was my son's first year of little legue where there was actually a pitcher throwing the ball (LL uses machine pitch for 7-8 yr olds). However, I have been working with him for about 3 years now on his pitching. Last summer we would watch every Maddux start that was on ESPN and I told him to watch because it was probably his last year. A few forum users also directed me to a few Youtube videos of Maddux discussing and demonstrating his mechanics.

As far as Ole Miss is concerned, yall have sucked at every sport for years. They are no threat to the mighty Tigers. Even Eli couldn't help them win a game. image

<< <i>Rumor is he is on the steroid list with a-rod . . . you might consider dumping his stuff before it becomes public. >>

Still waiting...
  • Yeah, it's been a rough go being a Rebel since about 1975, but things are looking up since 2000! I do remeber a serious beat down of the Tigers in DV last season though. It was a good game, but I missed it. Too busy sitting in a dear blind watching the bucks roll in. Still, even better than that was the Florida game this past season. I was there in full effect. 50 yd. line right in the heart of the Florida Alum section. Had a good friend from Jacksonville score us tickets. It was priceless. I wasn't able to make it to BR last season for that game, but was there in 2006 for the OT game that LSU won. That was a good one too. I'm hoping for a good season this year. Rebs play y'all this weekend at the New Alex Box, should be a good series if our pitching shows up. As for Maddux, I think he did release some type of instructional video at some point, but don't know where. I've seen some of his clips. My high schooll coach had one video where Maddux was going over his circle change, but it was just a clip of a bunch of pros from the mid 90's talking about their approach to differnt area's of the game. Maddux talked about his differnt pitches and placement, which we all know he mastered! Glad to hear your son got to see him a little bit before he hung'em up. I've been trying to go back and find old game footage of guys like Koufax, Gibson, Ryan and Seaver. I hit the jackpot on itunes. They have a baseballs best selection of full length games, classic games in baseball history. Going all the way back to the 1952 WS. They are good, full length original broadcast with all pre and post game interviews included, but commercials cut out. I started out with two games, the 1965 World Series game seven where Sandy Koufax threw a complete game, three hit shutout to win the series. I also downoaded Ripken's 2,131 game. That has been great to watch, brings back all those memories! If you can, get on there a pick up a couple. They are $1.99 a pop to own, but hey, then you can watch them again and again. I just run a video feed to my TV from my laptop and it's like I'm watching the game on TV just like it was over ten years ago. Not to bad if you ask me. On a PSA note, I was glad to see you were able to snag a few more good subs for your Maddux set. That set is going to be a long one, good luck!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Here's my two cents, which in impoverished third-world nations like Mississippi and Lousiana is more like a dollar twenty. Maddux is no Murphy, he has like a ton more homers and Maddux himself said that chicks lone the long ball.

As far as Ole Miss goes, I dislike everytrhing about them unless they are playing a non-SEC team, then Go rebels. The best thing about Ole Miss is the Grove. OMG!!!! How do ya'll get so many HOT coeds to enroll into your school. It is a well known fact that ole miss has the highest percentage of HOT coed babes in the country.

But to be honest, I realy admire Maddux and would probably chase after his set too if I were not so tied up with collecting Murphy and subbing worthless commons. I'll never forget this rotation: Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux, and Avery. I have an Avery Tiffany rookie going in the last group sub.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • I love it, a Greg Maddux thread has now been jacked and turned into an SEC football likes/dislikes thread. And people wonder why the SEC is THE BEST conference in the NCAA. Anyways, Murphy was the man. Most of his career was before my time but I heard he was stout. I still don't know how he is not getting more hall of fame love, but maybe in the years to come. He might fall in a Jim Rice type situation. As for the Maddux, Smoltz, Glavie and Avery rotation, yes it was the BEST in my opinion! I just wish we had more rings to show for it. As for the Ole Miss coeds, it's because the Ole Miss people mary other Ole Miss people and most Ole Miss women are gorgeous. Everyone goes back. It just seems to be more like a close nit family and it seems that family if full of beautiful women! Got to love that. I will say that both LSU and Bama, along with UGA have their fare share of beauties, but y'all don't have the concentration of hotness we do. As for the Gove, NO ONE CAN REPLICATE THE GROVE! Many have tried, all have failed. As for Bama, y'all don't bother me too much, I've just learned to ignore the tiders when y'all get on a rant. I do pull for Bama and LSU as long as you are playing OOC games too. I want the SEC to win, hands down, more money in all our pockets.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • In my opinion, Greg Maddux is one the the greatest pitchers of all time. His statistics are great but what is even more impressive is the era in which he accomplished those stats. There was widespread use of PED's among a lot of players and to put up the numbers he did was amazing. It's one thing to put up the #'s that he did but to do it in this era is crazy! And nobody can honestly say that Maddog ever used PED's. I can remember seeing Maddux on the field between starts at Wrigley and joking that he looked more like the team accountant than a stud pitcher. He is respected by everyone he ever played with and he is a lock 1st ballet Hall of Famer.
    I'm always looking for more Maddux psa 10's:
    http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/Composite.aspx?c=1786

• << <i>He is respected by everyone he ever played with and he is a lock 1st ballet Hall of Famer. >>

And will still have about 8 a$$holes that do not vote for him on the first ballot.
  • You know it!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Hey LSU boy,

I got this one, you wanna trade ?

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
    That's right, BOY!!!

Real men are from Bama.

Just rambling and ranting

• << <i>Hey LSU boy, >>

Show some respect and you will receive respect in return.

<< <i>That's right, BOY!!!

Real men are from Bama. >>

Little Joey, I will let you slide on this one. Based on the cards you sub to PSA, we may be related. My dad did live in Alabama for a few months, so it's possible.

• << <i>Hey LSU boy,

I got this one, you wanna trade ?

image >>

Tacky post my friend, not a good way to induce a trading/buying situation with anyone.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    you waited a while to hear about AROD, it's coming

• << <i>you waited a while to hear about AROD, it's coming >>

Look man, unless you have an article or something with some proof to point to, quit posting this junk trying to run down Maddux.
    Le Mieux Collection

<< <i>you waited a while to hear about AROD, it's coming >>

Oh, we get it now-- 'there's a rumor' is 60'sGuy speak for 'It's my opinon that--'. Thank you for the clarification.

If you want proof that Maddux was NOT on roids, look at his guns in the card pictured above.

Maddux was a control artist, he did not have to rely on power to get a batter out. Percision, accuracy, and movement was his mainstay.

I have a feeling that the 60's guy has some other ax to grind.

It's not polite to hijack another person's player thread unless it E. Smith, then you have my permission. Only because he dates Ryan Seacrest.
  • I think you all will enjoy this. I swung by the local Target today to pick up a few things for around the house and saw that they still had a box of series two 2008 Topps sitting at the check out. Packs were only $1.99. Since I just started the Maddux Basic Topps set up two weeks ago and I knew his card was in series two, I figured why not. I hadn't ripped a pack in a long, long time. It was going to be a crazy but cheap thrill. I got home and sat down to open the packs with excitement. I hadn't felt like that since I was a kid, that unkown feeling of ripping a fresh pack of new cards. I was so carefull with them, opening the pack gently down the factory seal, trying my best not to pinch the sides or ding the corners. Nothing like I did when I was a kid, tearing wildly into a pack with no patience! The first two packs were fun, I landed Francisco Rodriguez and a Delmon Young RC in the first pack. The next pack had some good star power with Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr. and a Hideki Okajima RC. I know these cards aren't worth anything, barely the cardboard they are printed on, but the last pack made it worth it. Filled with the modest dissapointment of letting my inner child take advantage of my calculating, realistic side, I picked up the last pack. As I was trying to work the seal of the pack open, I droped it and shouted out a quick four letter word thinking to myself, man what if that Maddux is in there. Then, the realistic part of me said no way and I just picked it up and went back to work on the seal. Finally, wrapper open and cards free of the pack I turn the cards over and slid the first card off the stack to examine it further, because the top card's navy and gold team lettering of the Brewers looks much like that of the Padres, Maddux's 07-08 team. After the reality of it not being Maddux set in, I looked down to my other hand holding the remainder of the pack. Then it seemed as if my heart stopped...

Staring me right in the face is a crisp, perfectly centered image of Greg Maddux mid way into his follow through. YES, I shouted out as it seemed I had just won the lottery and to the child in my head and heart at that moment, I had! I have never and don't know if I will ever be that excited again over a fifty cent common card of a regular old Topps pack! All I could think is, it'll make a 10 and I can add it to my set! There was so much joy for a handful of seconds while the kid in me was grinning widely at the adult that ran the show day in and day out. After examing the card closer before I placed it in a top loader, I'm not too sure if it'll make a 10. I have one corner that I question, but it's so hard to say what a grader would think. I'd love for it to, because it's a great looking card. The centering is perfect and surprisingly the rest of the cards from the three packs showed some bad centering, a lot of 60/40 which I wouldn't think possible in this day and age with machines able to cut everything, even the cornea of an eye within a 1000th of an inch! Still, even if I never send the card to PSA, or if I do and it only comes back a 9, it was still worth the six dollars and change that the three packs cost me. The hunt for a card and the shear thrill of pulling it right when you want it is priceless. Just thinking back on the whole experience as I typed this has reminded me why I love this hobby. To me there is no other hobby like collecting cards and memorabilia that can take you back to your childhood and the ignorant blissfulness that we all enjoyed then. Today has made me want to buy some more wax and get to ripping. I know the thrills will come much less and be filled more with dissapointment, but just the idea that I could have a little bit of today's feeling back is a reason to do it all over again. I feel more like an addict at this point than anything, but I guess there are far worse things that could have me hooked at this point! Thanks for letting me share this with you all. I hope this hobby brings you as much joy as it does to me. I have to say, today was a good day!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Pulled 3 Maddux rookies from a 1987 Leaf box tonight. All 3 were dead centered but two had one corner that would make them 8's at best. One has wax on the front (pack flipped and bottom half was upside down). Should be able to get the wax off and somehow the corners are still sharp.
  • Awesome, good luck with the salvageable one! Maybe that one will hit big. Today hooked me again on opening packs, so I think I will be placing some orders with BBCE for some stuff that I need basic cards of. Even if the grades don't go in my favor, the fun of busting packs should be worth the bucks!
    Le Mieux Collection
    Why has no one started a Dale Murphy thread. I'm starting to get offended. If someone does not step up and do the right thing, I will have to do it myself!

I wish I had embarassing photos of Maddux to post on this thread like D. Puddy has done on the E. Smith thread.
    Feel free to start one. I'll contribute to it, too.

• << <i>Why has no one started a Dale Murphy thread. I'm starting to get offended. If someone does not step up and do the right thing, I will have to do it myself!

I wish I had embarassing photos of Maddux to post on this thread like D. Puddy has done on the E. Smith thread. >>

Make it happen!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hey Guys,

Just going thru some stuff and came across 200 - 300 Maddux cards from the late 90s/early 00s. Could you tell me a few of the cards from that era worth sending in to PSA if they were worthy of a "10"? THANKS!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>Hey Guys,

Just going thru some stuff and came across 200 - 300 Maddux cards from the late 90s/early 00s. Could you tell me a few of the cards from that era worth sending in to PSA if they were worthy of a "10"? THANKS! >>

None, save perhaps a few of the tougher inserts/parallels, and even those won't fetch more than $15 at best.

• << <i>Just going thru some stuff and came across 200 - 300 Maddux cards from the late 90s/early 00s. Could you tell me a few of the cards from that era worth sending in to PSA if they were worthy of a "10"? THANKS! >>

They are all worthless. PMing you my address.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pulled 3 Maddux rookies from a 1987 Leaf box tonight. All 3 were dead centered but two had one corner that would make them 8's at best. One has wax on the front (pack flipped and bottom half was upside down). Should be able to get the wax off and somehow the corners are still sharp. >>

An old school collector taught me the secret to getting wax off the cards once. Basically just use nylon pantyhose and lightly wipe the wax away like magic. I don't know how he ever learned this but I swear to you it works.

• << <i>Basically just use nylon pantyhose and lightly wipe the wax away like magic. I don't know how he ever learned this but I swear to you it works. >>

Done it a hundred times. Works every time.

<< <i>

<< <i>Just going thru some stuff and came across 200 - 300 Maddux cards from the late 90s/early 00s. Could you tell me a few of the cards from that era worth sending in to PSA if they were worthy of a "10"? THANKS! >>

They are all worthless. PMing you my address. >>

Did dbone ever send you that autoed 91 UD? image

I see the basic set was just recently updated. Anyone know what was added? (That's a feature from the old setup that I miss, the little red "Added" flag.) I'm thinking it was the more recent stuff, but I'm not sure.
  • Why was Greg on page 2?
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Typical moronic response.

<< <i>His brother was way better. >>

And my wife is way hotter. >>

I hope she is hotter than Greg Maddux
  • I love getting these emails.

<< <i>Dear bill holler:

The Greg Maddux Master Set has been updated with the item '2007 TOPPS WAL-MART WM6 GREG MADDUX ' which you requested on 2/18/2009 11:17:00 AM. You can now add your item to the set. Should you have any questions, please contact setregistry@collectors.com.

Thank you.

The Set Registry Staff
    >>

....and it's a POP 1 PSA 10
  • Nice work, congrats on the 1 of 1. I just snagged a 10 2002 Topps for my basic topps set. No one else even bid, picked it up for $15 from 4SC. With a pop of 5 at that grade, pretty happy with that!I also snagged a few others to help out my Ripken and Sandberg basics.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Does anyone out there happen to have a PSA 10 Maddux 1991 Topps for sale. I've been searching like crazy and I know this is a popular year. I know there is only a pop of 15 for the 91, but I'd think someone has one they might be looking to part with.
    Le Mieux Collection
    No one bidded on the #1 set that was listed on Ebay. Only 15 large
  • I'm not sure if i'm happy there was no bids or dissapointed. I took off all of my PSA cards from the registry other than my Maddux collections. It really was a knee jerk reaction while I was upset with PSA. I am super upset with PSA for a few different reasons and decided not deal with them anymore. I thought that taking down all my cards would really be sticking it to them. image
    The problem is, there really is no other alternative to PSA. So now I'm stuck having to stick with PSA. I really love the hobby of going all over the internet and ebay everyday and looking for new Maddux PSA 10's and other cards I've been trying to collect so maybe i'll just keep the collection and continue looking for new ones.
    I think other's share some of the same frustrations with PSA as I do but deal with it better.
    Well I must say that your Maddux collection is off the hook, and my young niece told me that being off the hook is a way of saying that it is really good.

I assume that if your a large mouth bass, being off the hook is good too. Same goes for catfish, except in Louisana. Those crazy cajuns catch their catfish with just their hands.

Completely off-topic, On PBS they show a documentry called Okie-Noodling. It is the funniest thing I have ever seen, its about catfishing without poles, just hands.

Back to the topic, Greg Maddux pitched in the major leagues, of baseball!!!!
  • Thank you for the compliment. My wife makes fun of me for still collecting cards but she doesn't understand how fun it is. I still have over 100 Maddux PSA 10's that haven't been added to that set yet. I also have a pretty decent Sandberg collection (all PSA 10's) that I'm not sure what to do with since I'm still upset with PSA. I enjoy collecting player sets. It reminds me of when I was a kid and had card binders full of my favorite players. I thought I had the best collection ever when I had binders full of Cub's players. I had a page full of Dwight Smith and another full page of Jerome Walton rookies. Not sure what those Smith and Walton rookies are going for now but I'd guess somewhere in the thousands. image
    If it wasn't for the registry, I would definately get rid of everything.
    I have a lot of Maddux PSA 10 doubles that I have no use for and don't have much value- If you're interested, i'll send them to you for free.
  • I'm totally interested in the Maddux and Sandberg stuff you have. I'm working on the Basic Topps sets for those two guys, so if you have anything that fits those sets that you're looking to move PLEASE let me know I'm all over them. Any help with these sets would be greatly appreciated! Just PM me what you would be willing to part with.
    Le Mieux Collection
    I'm sure that you'll have no problem unloading extra Maddux PSA 10's on this thread. I've always enjoyed watching him pitch and have always been a huge Braves fans, so I've seen quite a few of his performances.

I'm currently collecting Dale Murphy and my wife will only let me do one thing at once. I also like posting on this thread just to make comments about people in another southern state.

If your offering up some Maddux I assume your PM box is about to be lit up.

I would have love to seen Maddux give it one more summer and for him to have done it in Atlanta.