Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

JOIN IN THE VENDING CASE FUN 77 Topps FB GROUP BREAK - ALL PAID! SHIPPING!

124»

Comments

• Just a comment. No matter whether the cards are off-centered, rough-edged, didn't get the cards we want, etc.

Let's thank miklia and the BBCE for this wonderful opportunity.

• << <i>Just a comment. No matter whether the cards are off-centered, rough-edged, didn't get the cards we want, etc.

Let's thank miklia and the BBCE for this wonderful opportunity. >>

I agree, have no complaint's with what I got, sure would have liked be centering on the cards. But it was a gamble on these and I was willing to take it. Can't cry over spilled milk.
    Thanks to Miklia and BBCEimage
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    i appreciated being a part of it regardless.

thanks to maklia and BBCE.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Agree as well. It was fun for sure. Thanks Miklia and Steve.

• mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys-I haven't opened any of mine yet-i'll bust and scan next week once I return home! But send all the kudos to Steve for taking care of all the dirty work and for the discount. I just want to see some more high end singles pulled, and NO MORE 5-95 L-R centered Largents!
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Someone is bailing out on their box. I can't blame them given what we have seen so far. I can't tell you how many times I considered jumping on for one of these after seeing Felicia's vending breaks, but I know centering on these is a bear and couldn't bring myself to roll the dice. Of course if you were all pulling gem mint 10 candidates, I would be kicking myself.

I'm a wuss.

~image

Snorto~
    hehe, nobody's bailing-that's just my extra box! I bought 5 from the break in order to sell it out, but i can really only afford 3-4 of them. I had a family member post it last night. As mentioned, all of my boxes are untouched/unopened. I put it up there since ldferg was already trying to sell his on this thread, but if anyone wants it, the original price of $375 plus shipping is A-OK by me.
  • I'll admit I'm naive - I can lay claim to flipping 77 and 78 Topps BBs for Dubble Bubble in the hallway of the Endicott Boys Club. My most favorite memory involves cutting out Rickey Henderson and Enzo Hernandez rookies and burning the leftovers in wax candles left over from my Dad's hippie days in our clubhouse with my little sister. We must have burned a dozen rookie Rickeys and countless Munsons, Reggies and Dents (it was tough being a BoSox fan in NY in the 70s).

That being said, the centering on these mofos sucks AND blows. The little case was sealed with shrinkwrap - I don't know if it was original or not, and I don't care. I popped the top and saw no less than 20% with rounded corners. I counted about 50 cards with decent centering and no blown corners - I still honestly want to know whether that is good or bad or average.

One Largent, about 30/70 by my reckoning although I haven't scanned it yet. A couple of Killers, a couple of Bradshaws, a couple of Websters, Tarkentons, Super Bowl whatever highlights. At least 30 of these cards are beautiful - no sunlight has hit them in 30 years and the colors are awesome. It's a particularly ugly series - I saw that before I bought into this rip, but that doesn't matter to me. For my money the 79 Topps BB are the UGLIEST cards ever, nothing else can even come close.

Once I figure out what I have I'm open to horsetrading. I've segregated the slop from the ones with a chance. I'll be submitting a handful to PSA for what I hope to be 9s or 10s; PM me with requests and I'll be happy to bypass PSA and/or ebay for trades and/or sales. I'm a gambler and I think I'll at least break even with this rip.
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Many thanks for putting this together miklia. image

I still don't know how much I'll rip, but at least a couple boxes will be saved for the rainy days.

Thanks again.

Trent
    with PSA 10s being so tough in this set, you can break even on a box even if you only get 3-4 examples out of the 500 cards, with much more if you hit a star. Probably just as much of a gamble as the 86 BK packs, if not more, but at least you get a bunch of cards and close to a set with this. it will be very interesting to see what grades we can score with them.

but the shrinkwrap thing is strange-it seems like steve sealed some of them, and didn't seal others, before shipping. they aren't shrinkwrapped from Topps...
  • I have 2 available for sale at $375.00 each or both for $725.00 OBO dlvd. There is NO returns on these items, they were shrink wrapped from the case, by BBCE. FYI the centering on the box I opened was terrible.

• << <i>Thanks guys-I haven't opened any of mine yet-i'll bust and scan next week once I return home! But send all the kudos to Steve for taking care of all the dirty work and for the discount. I just want to see some more high end singles pulled, and NO MORE 5-95 L-R centered Largents! >>

Is it better to have a 5-95 Centered Largent than no Largent at all?

good question Mike, i'll go with a highly qualified yes.

ping, my box on ebay is now sold, at about what I paid for it once ebay/paypal fees are taken out. You should be able to move them on there if nobody takes them here!
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    i'll probably list mine on ebay as well. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • I enjoyed the rip and thanks too all for putting this together.

My box had lots of dupes/off-centering, but what the heck, it was a gamble worth taking.

I would like to trade with others on this group rip with there dupes in hope of putting together a nice raw set.

Once others have opened their boxes, I will post the dupes I have for trade.

Thanks, Rob.
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>good question Mike, i'll go with a highly qualified yes.

ping, my box on ebay is now sold, at about what I paid for it once ebay/paypal fees are taken out. You should be able to move them on there if nobody takes them here! >>

You did alright, making a small profit after eBay & Paypal took their share... I don't blame you for selling given the results to date from these boxes. I guess it is no different than shelling out $400 for a few (or one!) modern box and not getting a solid hit. Glad you got to open one though... how many people get to rip a 1977 Topps Football vending box?

I wonder if the centering is just indicative of the technology at the time or as if the less popular football (at the time) played a role in the lack of quality control? I don't collect baseball, but my casual observation is that football cards from the same year seem to have more centering issues than their baseball counterparts. Maybe my perception is skewed from the gems people tend to post here on the board.

Snorto~
  • mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭
    Miklia - Thanks for putting together this rip and to everyone that bought a box or two. I guess I finally hit a nice one. A few corner dings, a few off center, but I'm very please with the star power of my box. Will have a few to submit on the next group break. Have really upgraded my raw set and will have a list together to trade shortly. Obviously, I have some star power to trade.

The box was in real nice condition:

Baseball Card Exchange wrap on a box in very nice shape, thanks fellas!:

Cards look good, but I do see some out of alignment and a few corner dings:

Reached in the middle and this was the first card I saw - cool and bodes well for the rest of the box:

Next stack and things not looking so good, but lots of well centered cards and many with 4sharp:

12th from the last card, boy was I jacked up about this one!:

End of the rip and I still have a smile on my face!:

The results - 2 Payton, 1 Payton/Simpson, 2 Papale (one grade worthy), 1 Largent, 2 Zorn (I'm a Seahawk fan), 2 Swanns, 2 Greene, 2 Carsons and many, many more HOFers and stars. Many have a corner touch and are a bit off center, but I am very happy!:

Tell me how PSA will regard the corners on this Fouts - can I flatten them out?

Again, thanks to all that participated - I finally got lucky on a rip! Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in any off condition/poorly centered cards if cheap (to send out for autographs).

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Here's my 1977 Topps raw set needs list. I'm looking for strong centered Mint condition cards. I have 1977 Topps cards (and other years) available to trade ... or I can buy. PM or e-mail please if you have any of these available. Thanks - Mike

1977 Topps Football - MINT or better condition

1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 24, 25, 30, 38, 44, 50, 53, 57, 63, 70, 73, 75, 78, 81, 85, 96, 97, 102, 104, 105, 113, 115, 122, 124, 127, 130, 131, 138, 139, 140, 145, 146, 149, 150, 152, 154, 157, 162, 168, 169, 171, 173, 175, 176, 180, 182, 185, 187, 194, 196, 198, 200, 203, 207, 208, 209, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 217, 219, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 229, 235, 239, 241, 242, 243, 245, 249, 262, 267, 277, 284, 289, 291, 292, 294, 295, 300, 310, 312, 314, 321, 325, 330, 336, 343, 347, 353, 355, 364, 365, 369, 378, 389, 400, 402, 409, 411, 415, 419, 425, 427, 435, 447, 449, 450, 459, 462, 474, 475, 476, 481, 488, 491, 498, 500, 505, 510, 511, 512, 515, 517, 520, 528
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/

• << <i>I'd be interested in any off condition/poorly centered cards if cheap (to send out for autographs).

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

You can have my whole box minus a checklists and scanned cards from previous post for $50.00 dlvd.

• << <i>

<< <i>I'd be interested in any off condition/poorly centered cards if cheap (to send out for autographs).

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

You can have my whole box minus a checklists and scanned cards from previous post for $50.00 dlvd. >>

This MC box has been sold.image
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    mcolney, great post and thanks for so many pics, nice to see!

"Molon Labe"

• nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i>mcolney, great post and thanks for so many pics, nice to see! >>

Ya, that was a great post for sure. Add my thanks. image
  • This was like the NO Rip group Rip of the century.

Come on people, not all of the boxes will be OC.

Get to opening those boxes. Rob.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    These will be the four I will submit:

I had about 8 or 9 others that could be submitted, but 4SC has most of them on e-Bay. Some of them at a $5.00 buy it now for PSA 9's, lol. It's just not worth it.
    There are only about three or four guys that are bidding on '77's now, myself included, and if we alredy have the card in our sets, I wouldn't bother submitting it, unless it was a star or RC.
    If you have any Cowboys, Steelers or Raiders in high grade those seem to sell well. I have a list of the cards I need on page 6 of this thread, alot of them are low pop commons.
    FYI - There are two cards in the set that do not have a PSA 9 yet: 226 Seahawks C/L and 321 Allen Ellis.
  • If someone has some they think would grade 9 and I need them in my set, PM me and we can work something out.. Like recball stated, we have been able to pick many of the commons for about $6 already graded..

My Set
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Anyone have Bears commons they want to part with? please let me know.

Pete
    puckhd27@aol.com