Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

JOIN IN THE VENDING CASE FUN 77 Topps FB GROUP BREAK - ALL PAID! SHIPPING!

Hey all,

That 76 BB vending case looks so amazing, I had to figure there was a way for more of us to get in on the fun. Steve at BBCE has a nice sealed 77 FB vending case, and is willing to sell it to us for $9000, or $375 per 500 ct vending box. The pop report looks as good or better than the 76 BB, as 9s are tough to come by, and many of the key stars (Bradshaw, Staubach) are Zero pop in PSA 10. In fact, only about half of the cards in set are zero pop in PSA 10. Who wants to join in the fun?

1. miklia - PAID
2. miklia - PAID
3. miklia - PAID
4. thunderdan - PAID
5. thunderdan - PAID
6. pokerbot - PAID
7. hammered - PAID
8. mcolney1 - PAID
9. digdug - PAID
10. fergie23 - PAID
11. ldferg - PAID
12. TheTalkingWalnut - PAID
13. nightcrawler - PAID
14. nightcrawler - PAID
15. nightcrawler - PAID
16. nightcrawler - PAID
17. ping4u43 - PAID
18. ping4u43 - PAID
19. ping4u43 - PAID
20. recbball - PAID
21. mike92694 - PAID
22. wolfbear - PAID
23. miklia - PAID
24. miklia - PAID

All payments will be sent to Steve directly (BBCExchange@sprintmail.com), who will ship them out himself. DO NOT SEND PAYMENT UNTIL SOLD OUT. I know there's an 86 Fleer BK break up now too, so it might be tought to sell this out, but I had to try!

UPDATE FROM STEVE:

"Case case from a old time collector who bought vending cases in the year of issue and put them away. Cases have since been brought out and sold. There is no mildew, no water or no damage to them. This case came from the same source who I just sold the 1976 Topps baseball vending case who has listed his results on CU boards!

Thanks! Steve"

If that doesn't sell this out, i don't know what will. I might up myself to 3-4 boxes after that info..

SOLD OUT!!! here are the shipping charges:

1 box-->$385.00
2 boxes-->$762.00
3 boxes-->$1139.00
4 boxes-->$1516.00

Send payment to Steve at BBCExchange@sprintmail.com. Be sure to put 1977 Topps FB Vending box in the subject field. Thanks to everyone!

Comments

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I'm interested. I need to decide between this and the Fleer BB since I probably shouldn't do both.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    you evil, evil temptress. image
  • Options
    Can somebody explain the advantages/disadvantages of a vending box vs. a cello or wax box. I noticed Steve also has a cello box of 77 FB for 1,000. Not sure how many cards/cello that year, but assuming it was around 20, you're essentially paying for ~500 cards in the cello for 1K vs. 375/box in the vending. Plus the cellos can be tightly sealed. Any cello I've ever opened has bent corners on the top card.

Given that this is sealed, and Steve is the dealer, removes the risk of searching the vending boxes. Are they random cards similar in sequence to cello box or lots of multiples?

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can somebody explain the advantages/disadvantages of a vending box vs. a cello or wax box. I noticed Steve also has a cello box of 77 FB for 1,000. Not sure how many cards/cello that year, but assuming it was around 20, you're essentially paying for ~500 cards in the cello for 1K vs. 375/box in the vending. Plus the cellos can be tightly sealed. Any cello I've ever opened has bent corners on the top card.

Given that this is sealed, and Steve is the dealer, removes the risk of searching the vending boxes. Are they random cards similar in sequence to cello box or lots of multiples? >>

Vending, no gum, no chance for stains. Cello, chance for bad corners because they are wrapped tight in the cellophane. Vending, there is a chance of some corner dings though, I do not believe that they are package in the vending box with no chance of movement.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I'm grabbing two in the hopes that I should be able to get a very nice raw set (there are just over 500 cards in the set), a good number of gradeable cards, and lots of dupes for the guys trying to make a set from one vending box. collation should be good, but I've never opened vending from this year so i'm not 100% sure on that.
  • Options
    I'm in for one box.

• Options
    Wow, are you kidding me! I'm interested in this too....86BKB or 77TFB....hmmmm....
  • Options
    digdugdigdug Posts: 216 ✭✭
    I'm probably in for 1. I'll know for sure this weekend
  • Options
    This is very tempting.. My concern is that this year the centering is why you do not see many 9 or 10's... I am going to have to think about this one hard....
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    I'm in for (1) !!!

I'm currently obsessed with completing this set in a PSA 8-10 range.

I have about 200 cards of this set graded and I would love to get one of these.

Thx, Rob
  • Options
    sportsamerica-yeah, i thought about that too, but at less than a buck a card, i think it may be worth the gamble, especially given the pop. report. if only steve could crack and scan one box for us first...

4 down, 20 to go!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    You may want to only do 18 boxes...leave the bottom 6 boxes cuz those are the ones most apt to have damage.
  • Options
    yankee7-that's a valid concern. I got a mail in to Steve about it (us buying 18), but that case looks very clean for the age. maybe a couple of corner boxes might have the first 25 cards with dings, but it looks very solid otherwise. And after seeing great stuff pulled from beat up vending cases in the past, I'm even more confident after seeing the pic of this one!
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ouch-that's pretty brutal. was that from a vending box, or a whole vending case?
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Put me down for one. These boxes are impossible to find. And you'll never find this year cheaper than that, not with all the rookies in this set.
    I've never opened vending FB from this year but have opened wax with mixed results - one box was horrible and the other was very good with great centering (several rough edges though). I have not had surface wrinkles from this year, so that box you opened may have been an anomaly. Most of my subs came back 8-9.
    One of the best FB sets ever, IMO
  • Options
    recbball-well, i know it's not a guarantee, but the cardboard that topps used for their shipping boxes was generally of horrible quality, and it got mushy/mealy pretty quickly if conditions were bad. this case looks like it's been taken care of at least moderately well. I'll ask Steve if i can get more info on the history. And I'd definately trust a steve case over a random GAI box, all things considered!

got you down, hammered.
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    So I have to put aside my white whale - PSA 6 Jimmy Brown Rookie for another month. I just can't pass this one up. Put me down for one box. Thanks for looking into this. Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    UPDATE FROM STEVE:

"Case case from a old time collector who bought vending cases in the year of issue and put them away. Cases have since been brought out and sold. There is no mildew, no water or no damage to them. This case came from the same source who I just sold the 1976 Topps baseball vending case who has listed his results on CU boards!

Thanks! Steve"

OK People, fire away!
  • Options
    I'm in for 1
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    I am in for one box.

Robb
  • Options
    great-15 left!
  • Options
    ttt-if we're not almost there by Monday, we'll have to call it a no-go.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Bump

Come on people, lets make this happen !!!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    put me down for one...i'd like to be a part of this one. seeing those 76s makes me want to do it.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I'm in for one, but I'm going to need some help with the specifics as I've never done this before and don't have paypal, etc.

• Options
    great! 13 to go! I'll send you info if we sell out!
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I'll take two.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    last bump! we're over halfway! are we rolling downhill, or stuck at the top??
  • Options
    I wish I could buy another, but I can't. Anyone else, this would be a great rip!
  • Options
    A shame...looks like we will not make it this time. i might try again in a month or so, and will pm everyone here when i do! in the meantime, i'll go buy some stocks today instead. i'll lose just as much money, but it will not be nearly as fun. image
  • Options
    I may have enough money by next month to buy two boxes. Thanks and let me know. Tony
  • Options

<< <i>A shame...looks like we will not make it this time. i might try again in a month or so, and will pm everyone here when i do! in the meantime, i'll go buy some stocks today instead. i'll lose just as much money, but it will not be nearly as fun. image >>

if we get closer next time, im in for 2
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Ya, I was also considering adding a couple more boxes, and if it'd help I still would.

It would be nice to start a set, maybe another day. image
  • Options
    good to hear everyone. I'll be sure to try again in the near future then. I'll also see if i can beat up steve any more on price, but it won't be easy...

jason
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I'd consider buying a box - let me know if you try again next month.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    You got 13 out of 24 in less than a week. Why the abrupt halt?
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>You got 13 out of 24 in less than a week. Why the abrupt halt? >>

Exactly. Seems like we could get this filled by Friday. A few others have already expressed interest since you halted it. This would be a very fun rip...

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    yer over halfway there now? why quitimage
  • Options
    mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    It couldn't hurt to mention that a PSA Gem Mint 10 Largent rookie sold for $5,800 in 2008
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They haven't given up yet on the 86 fleer basketball rip, so don't give up here.
    Besides, some posters go through a few stages before deciding to join a group rip.

No, I don't have the money now.
    Well, I'll see what happens, money a little tight.
    It does look like an interesting group rip.
    Is this thread still here? God obviously wants me to participate.
  • Options

<< <i>They haven't given up yet on the 86 fleer basketball rip, so don't give up here.
    Besides, some posters go through a few stages before deciding to join a group rip.

No, I don't have the money now.
    Well, I'll see what happens, money a little tight.
    It does look like an interesting group rip.
    Is this thread still here? God obviously wants me to participate. >>

So you'll take 1? sweet
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was 77 baseball I probably would.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it was 77 baseball I probably would. >>

I think the FB has more HOF RCs than the baseball. just sayin.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Re-Start this rip and I will take 3 boxes.image
    Edited to add that this must be done prior to 5:00AM PST on Friday March 6th as I will be gone until Tuesday of the following week with no Internet access.
  • Options
    yes. Let's keep this thing going
  • Options
    So let's do a theoretical, and/or a re-start. I'd like to see the price come down a little bit, then I might be in for 2.

I've never done this before, but who wants to start a new thread and see if we could get enough theoreticals?