Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Time for the year-end tally.

Bought 10 coins, sold 4 coins, net +6 for 2008.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Bought too many, sold too few, net +++ in '08 image

I must confess that I went lazy this year on keeping track of the coins I bought, their cost, and crossing off coins from my list (twice this year I bought dulicates!)
  • Options
    I lost track at the FUN show.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭
    I've still got 17 days.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Net buyer for the year. As usual.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never looked at my collection in these terms before, but in 2008 I bought a total of just 35 nice half dimes and sold a total of 18 duplicate (not so nice) half dimes, so I am up net +17 for the year. Looking at this another way, however, I culled out 18 coins that were lower grade examples, and added 35 coins that were very nice additions. Low numbers for me, but things are getting harder to find in my specialty.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I never count my chips until I've pushed away from the table.image
  • Options
    I bought 44. Sold 0.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Oof.

Well, it's not the end of the year yet, so i'm not saying.

At least one more is inbound.

It was a banner year for me up until those last few months.

Do medals or tokens count?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a lot early in the year... I didn't buy anything between June/July 2007 and September 2008. I think I've bought 5 or so pieces since September that will be keepers.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be plus 30 or 40 at least
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought a lot of large cents....maybe around 50 of them! Bought about 20 other misc coins. sold about 8 gold coins. so net 62 coins!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought way too many coins and sold a few.

In 2009, it will be fewer and better coins. image
  • Options
    new to the hobby and i know i've already way over spent.....
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    a bunch and more. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Yhis year I have sold 40 coins for every coin

I have bought. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I was at net +22, then I bought two more tonight, mostly darkside this year. I got a few reasonable deals early in the year on early commems, then everyone seemed to get silly with their pricing and auction reserves.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my record-keeping sucks. I do not plan on being able to accurately answer this question a year from now either.
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought 32 Sold 0
  • Options

<< <i>Bought 10 coins, sold 4 coins, net +6 for 2008. >>

I bought the 2008 Mint Proof Set and the 2008 Silver Mint Proof Set.
    Plus, I bought 10 "single" coins, the most expensive of which was an 1838 No Drapery PCGS MS62 Quarter.
    I did not sell any coins for the year.
  • Options
    I bought about 30 coins sold zero, gave one away as a gift.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It's been a great year, professionally, investment-wise and as a hobbyist.

I wish you all good health in 2009 and beyond. Long as you have your health, everything else can be a breeze.image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's been a great year, professionally, investment-wise and as a hobbyist.

I wish you all good health in 2009 and beyond. Long as you have your health, everything else can be a breeze.image >>

Yep.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought 16, Sold 1: Net +15*

But I have one more purchase in the works.....Mike

[*edited to add: not counting bullion transactions]
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Somehow, I don't think people are counting correctly.

You know, if you purchased any ASEs, you need to count those too. They _are_ coins. 20 to the roll. Don't ignore them.

If I were to include the direct ship prezzie dollars (only fair, those are coins too), i'm into the thousands of coins this year. They are all outbound; but it takes some time to spend them, so they are a net positive coin count for 2008 and a net negative for 2009.

If you purchased a mint set just for one of the coins, be sure to count the rest that languish in some box somewhere.

What about the change that you've stuffed into your change jar? Those coins that you'll look through later? Count those too!

Somehow...the small numbers reported here...folks are leaving stuff out i'm sure!

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought one coin; that's it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG, I cant tell you. I think it's 1000's I buy rolls just recived 30 1960-D Sm date rolls and dont sell them. I think I sold 250+ coins this year. image I need help.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff? I've bought 9 really nice SLQs this year, one prevented me from buying a new car.. oops!

The 7 year old in me loves having tons and tons of old coins to play with, so we've been accumulating any SLQs that I can buy for no more than 1x face each over melt. Or that's how I justify it.

Oh, and I have been hoarding 28-Ds and 28-Ss for my mintmark study.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Bought too few, sold 0. When will I get to start collecting again image
  • Options
    Purchased 4 and sold 8
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not sell coins, nor do I keep track of my purchases. However, the first fact alone would make me +++ for the year. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file