Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SAE collectors.....do you collect toned SAEs?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, do you do it raw or slabbed?
Some years harder than others?

I've noticed that the earlier years seem to tone more "smoothly" while the last few years seem to tone a bit "rougher" looking....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not Ron.

I packed my Dansco with extra pages to minimize air flow and as a result some of the inside coins have a muddy, syrup like toning.

Now, if you'd just let me use your bathroom for about 90 days, I could change all that!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

You are welcome to use the bathroom.....just cost ya a dollar (maybe a certain Ike? image ).
    I haven't put coins in the bathroom....the additional humidty, from showers and stuff, is too much like a bit of accelerated/AT to me. Mine just sit 10' from me right now image
    In the closet....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>If so, do you do it raw or slabbed?
    Some years harder than others?

I've noticed that the earlier years seem to tone more "smoothly" while the last few years seem to tone a bit "rougher" looking.... >>

Of the ones I have I would say this seems correct.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lee,

You are welcome to use the bathroom.....just cost ya a dollar (maybe a certain Ike? image ).
    I haven't put coins in the bathroom....the additional humidty, from showers and stuff, is too much like a bit of accelerated/AT to me. Mine just sit 10' from me right now image
    In the closet.... >>

O-o-o-o-h! Closet Coins?

Is the rent on the closet a bit cheaper? (The IKE stays with me but I'll let you hold it!)

Who was it that had them on the bathroom shelf?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Ron... as you already know... however.. I just realized... I have an old Dansco of ASE's I have not looked at in years... guess I better check that out - may have to buy a bottle of EZest.. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    VERY NICE ASE's!! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

• Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    how do you get the colors to stand out like that,beautiful.
    figglehorn
  • Options
    You never know what TPG will do with the raw coins. So I try to buy them slabbed, unless it really stands out.

• Options
    Hmmm..

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to get these slabbed or keep raw. I have almost a dozen and don't relish spending $14*12+$5+shipping+any potential truview if I wanted to go that route.

2 of them....

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron, what did you say you charged for closet space rental. I forget. image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    No, in my opinion any toning on a coin series that is only 23 years old is AT
  • Options

<< <i>No, in my opinion any toning on a coin series that is only 23 years old is AT >>

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not ... got enough problems from keeping them milk spot free. btw some of your colorful ASE's look as if they have the "disease."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Don't really care much for them myselfimage

Stefanie

image >>

I 2nd that, ASE are suppose to be Silver not left out for the elements to destroy the beauty.
  • Options
    all Blast White for me!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options

<< <i>No, in my opinion any toning on a coin series that is only 23 years old is AT >>

That's fine, for an opinion.
    My opinion is that anyone that makes blanket statements either doesn't know what they are talking about or is someone to ignore image
    You do realize the makeup of SAEs and their process is super different from actual "coin" series, right? If you are basing your "opinion" on morgans, dimes, etc, then you are being way too narrow minded.

• Options

Garsmith... Just think of color on a coin like a little seasoning on your steak. Without it, it's dull, boring, and flat out plain. image

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I guess depending on your steak, I like no seasoning on my filetmignon
    "It is what it is."
  • Options

<< <i>I guess depending on your steak, I like no seasoning on my filetmignon >>

Um... well a filetmingon is like a gold coin, and I'm speaking only of silver coinsimage
  • Options
    I do, I do.............................I doem raw toned, raw white, slabbed white, slabbed toned, white in one Dansco, toned in another Dansco.

Heck I even have a PCGS blue box full with some that have these really neat white spots.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked my album (it is a Littleton, not a Dansco) of ASE's... virtually no toning...and it has not been viewed since 2001.... of course, I do not get milk spots either... must be the incredibly pure environment in my safe (gun oil helps) image Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file