Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold to $900+, Silver to $16 on Tuesday

Well here we go again! Get ready for a PM ride on Tuesday as oil prices will likely jump $20+/barrel as a result of Hurricane Gustav. A 20% increase in pump prices is possible next week.

Any predictions on PM by mid-week? Here's mine:

GOLD: $902

SILVER: $15.91

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine by Friday:

Gold 785.00
    Silver 13.00
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of you are right...

somewhere between $785 and $902 for Tuesday sounds about right to meimage
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Gold/silver usually go the opposite of what logic should dictate. Both will probably go down this week.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold/silver usually go the opposite of what logic should dictate. Both will probably go down this week. >>

• Options
    As of this writing, the storm looks like it will only have a minor impact on the oil rigs. Last week, the oil traders already bid up oil on the early-early storm tracking. A Cat 4 or Cat 5 may have been factored into the oil futures, so anything less, or the storm veering to other areas, will mean oil goes down and may take gold with it.

Overall, I think metals will be flat. Kitco now showing neutral prices in Asia, after a modest bump up in early trade.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold ... $821.23
    Silver ...$ 13.42
    Plat.......$1502.27

Oil.... $121.00 ... but back down to $114 by 9/5 ...

My cloudy crystal ball needed a beer or two or three or more ... it's woikin just fine now.... image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oil was only up $1.55 today after being up over over $2.50. Gustav is only a strong Cat 2/weak Cat 3.

Overall the energy markets are giving a big yawn to Gustav.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    PM's & Oil are "heading south" in the overseas markets this AM ...
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Fear of an event is often worse than the event itself. Gustav , while serious is no Katrina

Although I'm still mystified why so many PM enthusiasts see every disaster, natural or man made, as being bullish for PMs....facinating
  • Options

<< <i>PM's & Oil are "heading south" in the overseas markets this AM ... >>

Those betting on Cat 5 hurricanes are like those buying lottery tickets. Cat 5's are rare and a Cat 5 going directly into the oil rigs rarer still. A lot of folks made those bets when Gustav was a Cat 1. Some folks like betting the long shots. Some day they will be right, but so far, today is not the day.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these hurricanes and the price of oil being affected are pure BS - I remember after Katrina they were hard pressed to show any actual damage that was widespread. Also, there did not seem to be much in the way of actual refining or production that was affected = pure hype - maybe folks are getting tired of this crap going on....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>I think these hurricanes and the price of oil being affected are pure BS - I remember after Katrina they were hard pressed to show any actual damage that was widespread. Also, there did not seem to be much in the way of actual refining or production that was affected = pure hype - maybe folks are getting tired of this crap going on.... >>

FYI ...

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Energy companies waited anxiously on Monday as Hurricane Gustav lurched across the nation's largest concentration of oil platforms and refineries in the biggest threat to fuel supplies since 2005.

Nearly all of the oil and gas production in the Gulf of Mexico and more than a quarter of U.S. refining capacity was shut or slowed down as a precaution by the time Gustav made landfall near New Orleans on Monday morning.

But energy experts were hopeful the storm would cause less damage to infrastructure than Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, which three years ago destroyed more than 100 offshore oil platforms and closed several large refineries for months.

More bs or hype? I for one don't think so.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think these hurricanes and the price of oil being affected are pure BS - I remember after Katrina they were hard pressed to show any actual damage that was widespread. Also, there did not seem to be much in the way of actual refining or production that was affected = pure hype - maybe folks are getting tired of this crap going on.... >>

FYI ...

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Energy companies waited anxiously on Monday as Hurricane Gustav lurched across the nation's largest concentration of oil platforms and refineries in the biggest threat to fuel supplies since 2005.

Nearly all of the oil and gas production in the Gulf of Mexico and more than a quarter of U.S. refining capacity was shut or slowed down as a precaution by the time Gustav made landfall near New Orleans on Monday morning.

But energy experts were hopeful the storm would cause less damage to infrastructure than Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, which three years ago destroyed more than 100 offshore oil platforms and closed several large refineries for months.

More bs or hype? I for one don't think so. >>

the media is spinning a worst case scenario even as OPEC says $100 oil is okay.

they shut these platforms down last week, there is a hella lot more preparedness for this event.

putting their plans made after Katrina into motion, will only lessen the damage.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well here we go again! Get ready for a PM ride on Tuesday as oil prices will likely jump $20+/barrel as a result of Hurricane Gustav. A 20% increase in pump prices is possible next week.

image >>

I certainly hope you didn't bet on it!! PM and Oil are down.....

Gold: $817.20 -12.20
    Silver 13.42 - .17
    Plat 1426.00 -37.00
    Oil 111.24 - 4.22
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Although I'm still mystified why so many PM enthusiasts see every disaster, natural or man made, as being bullish for PMs....facinating >>

Thank God it didn't happen in this threa, but I have noticed it is common for for PM bulls to cheer on disasters and war and economic collapse. My question is, if the world begins to use alot less oil in a couple of decades what will gold have to hitch onto to ride up or down?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My crystal balls are in the shop.
  • Options

<< <i>but I have noticed it is common for for PM bulls to cheer on disasters and war and economic collapse. >>

I've noticed this too and I find it sickening. Although I hold some gold and silver as insurance against these things (and because it's nice to look at), I'd rather cheer on innovation and well-executed business plans of solid companies. That's what this country was built on; not bars of metal and gloom. Flame on.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well here we go again! Get ready for a PM ride on Tuesday as oil prices will likely jump $20+/barrel as a result of Hurricane Gustav. A 20% increase in pump prices is possible next week.

image >>

mm hm
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    fishyone looks like you were wrong on the prices!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to go "double or nothing" on another prediction, Fishy?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats a big Woopsie Doodle!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Okay, Okay - We dodged a bullet this time. I'm still on board with DoubleEagle59 in the long haul.

It may take a few months before we see $1000 gold and $20 silver again, but by late winter it will happen.

Also I'm still a believer that $1500 gold and $30 silver are NOT in the distant future. I see these prices in 2010 at the latest.

NostraDogbert has spoken.

• Options

<< <i>Okay, Okay - We dodged a bullet this time. I'm still on board with DoubleEagle59 in the long haul.

It may take a few months before we see $1000 gold and $20 silver again, but by late winter it will happen.

Also I'm still a believer that $1500 gold and $30 silver are NOT in the distant future. I see these prices in 2010 at the latest.

NostraDogbert has spoken.

image >>

Looks like we may see Gold @ $750 & silver at @ $12 before your optimistic predictions take hold. ... maybe years ...., You must have read the wrong quatrain. Boy, I hope it happens before 12/21/2012. image
  • Options
    which Tuesday?

(you are still safe)

• Options

which Tuesday?

(you are still safe)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Tuesday after Election Day! The Feds can't keep the dollar propped up forever!

P.S. The shortage of physical silver right now makes it $14 at least.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>which Tuesday?

(you are still safe)

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Tuesday after Election Day! The Feds can't keep the dollar propped up forever!

P.S. The shortage of physical silver right now makes it $14 at least. >>

psst, there is no shortage of silver.
    the only shortage is in "investor" form in small sizes.

feel free to buy a 1000 oz bar from a refiner. make the call!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭
    $12.22 and falling......no shortage of silver to be had!!!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My prediction for this friday was off: I called 780 gold 13.00 silver. I thought silver was a little more closer to the bottoming than gold, but it appeared to be reversed for close of this week. Gold came back a little late today, but silver didnt !!

Jim
  • Options
    Große Scheiße ... I wasn't even close in Plat. Silver or Gold ... Gonna have to turn in my crystal ball. image