Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Spouce Pricing, you've got to be kidding....

Wow, 2008 One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin Elizabeth Monroe for $619.95 and below it the 2007 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin Dolley Madison for
$529.95. Can you tell the the difference in actual value here????????

What am I missing other than some high profit margins..........

Comments

• Options
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    OK, you got me there......

I'm new and aways learning.....
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    I think I'll go back to collecting Lincoln pennies !

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    Seems a bit high to me. I'll pass...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they're just expecting gold to be up to $1100 by the time they start shipping...?
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope they ship these quick. May pick one up on the bay, for 475 or soimage
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    ya, I am fun done buying those half ounces from the greedy mint
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    If you can get it for $475 which is $950 gold that would be a good deal. I'd forget about tracking these sells by order number since we have 2 coins to pick from. Once people get their and see the UNC Dolly for $509 then they may just buy that one like I did. I really don't like the series but that's way to close to spot and won't be there for long. I may not get the one I ordered.
  • Options
    Quite a hefty premium for bullion.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quite a hefty premium for bullion. >>

don't you get it yet! it says $10 right on the reverse! this is not
    bullion. it is a coin and worthy of the premium they are asking!

how dare you mock the franklin mint and their pathetic attempts
    to milk collectors for money!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Ziggy. I can imagine the price of gold spiking around shipping time just in time for the mint to pull them and change the prices. Boy that would sure limit the number of first strikes.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, you got me there......

I'm new and aways learning..... >>

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm saving my pennies for the 2 Liberty coins that are coming out this year. Are they the next two coming out.... or are they the last two?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm saving my pennies for the 2 Liberty coins that are coming out this year. Are they the next two coming out.... or are they the last two? >>

The only two for 2008

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm saving my pennies for the 2 Liberty coins that are coming out this year. Are they the next two coming out.... or are they the last two? >>

The only two for 2008

>>

Yep, those are two I will be splurging for. I might have to put off my first Charlotte mint gold piece to get them too. Very tough decision.
  • Options
    That Seated Half Eagle (First Spouse) is going to look suuuweeet! I dig it. In a big way. *Sigh. I guess I'm going to have to sell off some stuff.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the mint gives those of us who buy the Monroe spouse coins first dibs on the Liberty coins! imageimageimage
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>That Seated Half Eagle (First Spouse) is going to look suuuweeet! I dig it. In a big way. *Sigh. I guess I'm going to have to sell off some stuff. >>

Just curious why you would call that a "half eagle"? Its not a part of the AGE series, and in fact has no eagle on it whatsoever. Also, it is closer in size to what classic collectors call an "eagle" as far as gold weight is concerned. So I have no clue how you came to call this a half eagle.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Unlike the Franklin Mint, the USA Mint

is duly authorized to scr*w , Blue and tatoo

the population by congressional authorization.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i> I think I'll go back to collecting Lincoln pennies ! >>

BobSav this might be a good idea. I am heading to my bank tomorrow to pickup
    my 3 boxes of 08 Lincoln pennies. So far the 25 dollar box seems to sell
    for around 75 to 100 dollars. I guess with the last year for the Lincoln memorial
    the interest is there

Sorry for the OT but had to chime in on this one..
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    If they discontinue the spouse series, will they be called ex-spouses? imageimage
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Actually, the Elizabeth Monroe has less of a markup than the Dolley Madison. When the Madison spouse coin came out on November 19th gold was $780 an ounce and the Madison Spouse was priced 36% above spot price at $530. With gold at $960, the Monroe spouse is only priced 29% above spot so the profit margin is less on the Elizabeth Monroe spouse. The Mint has stated the Dolley Madison coins were all struck at the end of last year when gold was lower which is why they are still offering them at the same price, something bullion dealers don't do image
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file