Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Early Copper Guys

There was a story in the local paper on Sunday about a collector who walked into the L.B. show this weekend and sold 301 'pennies' for a cool 10.7 MILLION bucks-

Did anyone here about this or know the collector?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>There was a story in the local paper on Sunday about a collector who walked into the L.B. show this weekend and sold 301 'pennies' for a cool 10.7 MILLION bucks-

Did anyone here about this or know the collector? >>

There are 3 or 4 threads on this already. It was an auction that included some outstanding 1794 and 95 pieces!
  • Options
    I dont think he walked into the show with the "pennies". Atleast I would guess he didnt.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL - at least maybe this distorted story will help improve public attendence at the next LB show!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>I dont think he walked into the show with the "pennies". Atleast I would guess he didnt. >>

Then the press is alll wrong on what happened- all I did was ask the question.

The collector lives in the area and has been a collector since 13, sez he is now in his late 70's.

I don't have the article in front of me to verify the issue.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, this proves further how the press almost never checks facts anymore. The Husak Large Cent sale had been planned for months to get them ready for auction.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Well since none of the replies so far have mentioned the obvious, it was the Husak sale put on by Heritage.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Here is CNN's short news account.

CNN Story

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprisingly, the Los Angeles Times ran a fairly accurate story about the sale in the Sunday paper. You actually got the vibe of the auction and its importance from the story, as well as a bit about Mr. Husak. It also mentioned that he paid about $5 million for the coins and that he started collecting at age 13.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does the press insist on calling them "pennys" when they are "cents"? Oh well, it's not like this is the first time the press has been wrong concerning coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Surprisingly, the Los Angeles Times ran a fairly accurate story about the sale in the Sunday paper. You actually got the vibe of the auction and its importance from the story, as well as a bit about Mr. Husak. It also mentioned that he paid about $5 million for the coins and that he started collecting at age 13. >>

An earlier thread by Rick Snow stated that Husak had about 3.5 million into the collection, and a few years ago wanted to sell it privately for 7 million, or double what he had into it.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does the press insist on calling them "pennys" when they are "cents"? Oh well, it's not like this is the first time the press has been wrong concerning coins. >>

Do you also complain about what William Sheldon's book was called? (The 1958 one, not the 1949 one)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you also complain about what William Sheldon's book was called? >>

The "whimsy" part makes me think the whole thing is not to be taken seriously. And maybe it's not meant to be

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file