Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DSLR macro lenses are too expensive, what's a good current digital p&s for macro?

PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
I'm getting a Canon XTI with a great standard 28-135 (USM/IS) lens, but I can't really justify $400 for a dedicated macro lens. So, as a substitute, is there a really good point and shoot digital (currently available; not something I have to hunt down in a used bin somewhere) that's great for macro pictures? I'd like to find one that is a good vergence of high quality macro and low price and way under $400.

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You went for the bucks for a great camera, go for the lens. You'll never regret it. Mike
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Used manual focus macro lenses can be had for <$200
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    to answer your question, canon powershots are nice. best buy
    carries them and wayy under 400.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Used manual focus macro lenses can be had for <$200 >>

Ditto on that. Once you start using the Canon for regular duty you won't miss a point and shoot. The photo quality makes it worth lugging around.
  • Options
    This pic, along with all my pics was taken with a Canon SD750 P&S camera that I bought new last year for $250. Once you familiarize yourself with its many features/settings, making an argument to spend over $800 on a DSLR+ Lens seems almost silly.

Edited to add: Here is a quick example of the camera's very satisfactory digital zoom ability as well.

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Look at the Nikon S51c (nikon) - we just git it and it has Nikon's VR system as well as macro mode.

You can't go wrong with Nikon!

8.1mp
    $240
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Used manual focus macro lenses can be had for <$200 >>

Ah, but he has a Canon. Not sure if that's a viable option.
  • Options
    I found a 100mm canon macro manual focus for $179. Have they changed the lens mounts on Canons?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Canon SD series point and shoots are a good bet.

My SD 870 IS has a "digital macro" mode....which basically means it takes a macro shot and automatically digitally zooms the pic in real-time. I've been really impressed with it for easy, quality close-up shots. It was $349 but they have others that are below that with the same feature.....

Gecko, great shots!

• Options
    Great suggestions guys...thanks. I'm not sure if a pure manual focus will work with this DSLR. I was also advised to stay clear of the cheaper 50mm due to the fact that it has a much closer focal distance which can interfere with lighting. I'm also leaning pretty heavily towards going to the ANA Summer Seminar photography class this summer.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a 100mm canon macro manual focus for $179. Have they changed the lens mounts on Canons? >>

Some of them are quite different.... I am searching for a DSLR for my grandfather and the canon system he is on is not compatible
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a 100mm canon macro manual focus for $179. Have they changed the lens mounts on Canons? >>

Yes -- Canon launched the EF mount with their first EOS (autofocus) camera. (The argument was for purely electronic connections between body and lens, as well as to allow for larger rear elements.) Though there are some oddball adapters that don't allow infinity focus or autoexposure, the FD manual focus mount is practically incompatible with the EOS (including all digital) SLRs.

I'm inclined to agree with the OP that the 50mm (and 60mm) lengths are too short for comfort, but I know some members here would beg to differ. Still, if the alternative is to buy an entirely different camera for $250 or more, why not consider the Canon EF 100mm macro for an additional $100 or $150?
  • Options

<< <i>Still, if the alternative is to buy an entirely different camera for $250 or more, why not consider the Canon EF 100mm macro for an additional $100 or $150? >>

This is precisely the conundrum I'm facing.

• Options
    Look for closeout Marco Lens. I found one for my sony DSLR for around $80 brand new in box. The original retail was something like $300+. They are out there. You'll never get great detailed closeups without one. I would seach the market before spending money on a point and shoot. You might be surprised what you dig up.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Buy the canon esm 100mm
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 105mm Sigma with a Rebel XT and love the results. I was able to buy it used for about $250.

Here's an example - CLICK ME
  • Options
    Kinda sucks that they changed their lens mount. Keeps you away from all sort of nice old stuff.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kinda sucks that they changed their lens mount. Keeps you away from all sort of nice old stuff. >>

Mark, can't you still get an adapter for the FD mount, like planetsteve mentioned?
  • Options
    Great shot on that 1890 half Jerry!
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    I have an Olympus D545 cost $199, available used for $75. Most P&S camera with a super macro setting work fine

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100mm Macro-Pentax:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file