Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need a faster internet connection!!!!!

I do have a DSL connection, but my distance from the phone company equipment limits me to a lower end DSL connection or so I've been told. Well I'm sitting here grooving to some Internet radio and I open Shylock's thread expecting to see some neat cameo proof coins. Well the music can't keep up because the images are taking up bandwith! No, I won't take a radio feed with lower bit rate, I ENJOY my music and I can't stand the poor quality of low bit rate feeds. I enjoy my cameo proofs and the excellent photographs often posted here! I want it all and I want it now!

I'm jealous of my Dad. He has a fiber optic conection direct to his home network.

So, is there anybody who opens the picture post threads and *boom* all photos appear instantly? Is anybody still in the dark ages and using a dial up connection?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not here Carl... I have been broadband for many years... I just do not have the time for anything less. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I have cable and I couldn't live without it. =)
  • Options
    I have Verizon DSL and just barely am in the radius of the Central Office.

I am currently running 1792 x 448 kbps

About 5 months ago, I was running 848 or so, till I received an upgrade upon my Verizon contract renewal for the above speeds.

Also pending on your area, they are coming out with Fiber Optics very soon.

Gary
  • Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Im running Cable as well and love it!

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It's one of several reasons why we didn't buy a house in western north carolina. It would be like going back in time there.

Have a pretty fast comcast cable connection here in Fla.

Stayed at a hotel in S Korea though that had a connection that really whipped.
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I just upgraded to a 15 Mb cable connection and the pictures snap up when I click them. When downloading a file I get transfer rates of 1.2 Mb/sec - love it.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    <<I have Verizon DSL and just barely am in the radius of the Central Office>>

I have Verizon DSL also. I'm just barely in the radius of the nearest office, I doubt it is very central.

I asked the cable company to come and route their wires where they wouldn't be seen and have them end up in a place that is convenient for me to connect to my home network. They (Comcast) laughed and said they would not bother sending anyone out unless I give them carte blanch to put the wires anywhere they durn please. I declined that. Anyway my neighbors who do have cable are no better off...
  • Options

<< <i>It's one of several reasons why we didn't buy a house in western north carolina. It would be like going back in time there. >>

Have to use the old telegraphs and dixie cups and string there, huh?

<< <i>Stayed at a hotel in S Korea though that had a connection that really whipped. >>

When you look at average internet speeds, the USA is SLOOOOOWWWW compared to MANY other countries....
  • Options
    Actually if you have a neighbor that is broadcasting a wireless signal you may have another option considering you have a wireless laptop and/or wireless home network...

Gary

Edited to add: Have you considered a satellite type for your Internet? Dish Network has an option for internet via satellite
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    With the combo of the bidding box next to the current price on ebay auctions, a quick refresh button and DSL has helped me master the art of sniping without using auctionsniper.com. I can coinsistently hit it with 1-2 seconds left now. Used to on dialup the best I could do was 7-8 seconds.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    dial up still. dsl or cable not available. the prices on att wireless are getting dangerously close to me jumping though.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I have a sirius sattelite subscription and can get sirius radio thru my sattelite TV or my internet connection. You might try getting your music thru the TV and piping it into a sound system. --jerry
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run Verizon FiOS (fiber optic) at 15 meg. Instant downloads
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Speakeasy speed test

SPEED TEST

11635 Download speed

2341 Upload speed
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Cable all the way!. Although I am connecting from a resort in Maui today, I don't know if its DSL or cable but definitely broadband. And NO, the images do not populate instantaneously when you open up one of these threads. But, they don't drag either; rather they populate fairly quickly. And this is my experience at home with cable too!

The downside of cable is that the more users on the cable network, then the slower the performance because all those users suck up bandwidth. This is not a problem with DSL. However, with DSL the maximum download rates are not nearly as great as with Cable. It just so happens that cable is still the better choice for me in my neighborhood. But in some areas, cable may not be the best solution due to too many users hogging up the bandwidth. Bottomline is you need to know if the cable connection bandwidth has been compromised due to too many users. There are websites that can test the performance of your IP connection. I use pcpitstop. If you can find a commercial place in your area where you can log on using both a DSL connection and a Cable connection you might be able to run the diagnostics and see which is best for you. You should also be aware that performance varies over time. During the heaviest usage times of the day, cable may not perform as well as DSL because of bandwidth limitations. But overall performance should determine which broadband provider that you choose. For me its still cable!

Good Luck!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options

<< <i>Actually if you have a neighbor that is broadcasting a wireless signal you may have another option considering you have a wireless laptop and/or wireless home network...

Gary >>

In some states, you can be arrested for doing that (stealing internet access). This is why all of my wireless access points are encrypted!

Chances are the neighbor has a similar service.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    I just did my speed test:

10793 kbps Download

1870 kbps Upload

Not too shabby.

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>In some states, you can be arrested for doing that (stealing internet access). This is why all of my wireless access points are encrypted! >>

Thank you for pointing that out. I turned off the broadcast option of my wireless signal, and I keep it encrypted as well.

Gary

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my wife and I built our house here in SC a few years ago, I had sense enough to have cable lines run throughout the house with an outlet in every room (just in case). Boy, I'm so glad I did that! I could never go back to dialup.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    Speakeasy test:

I'm way on the edge of DSL!

FIOS it not here yet.

I have DirecTv with many radio channels. Some are good. Just not the variety that Internet radio provides! And besides the Internet is free once I have the connection I need...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<I have Verizon DSL and just barely am in the radius of the Central Office>>

I have Verizon DSL also. I'm just barely in the radius of the nearest office, I doubt it is very central.

I asked the cable company to come and route their wires where they wouldn't be seen and have them end up in a place that is convenient for me to connect to my home network. They (Comcast) laughed and said they would not bother sending anyone out unless I give them carte blanch to put the wires anywhere they durn please. I declined that. Anyway my neighbors who do have cable are no better off... >>

I wouldn't have a cable company do the cabling since they do it the way they want it.
    I had extra coax run from the point to the house, all throughout the house, when I had my house wired for cat5 networking. Worked out great.

Wireless is fine but I like being able to be wired from any room as well. Now, I have clean, new, coax to each room as well so it is all good. Since I couldn't physically do it, due to knee problems, it was worth paying a contractor to do it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Just tested again on speakeasy.net and......

11432 Down
    2484 Up

We have the slowest package offered by comcast by the way. image
  • Options

<< <i>Just tested again on speakeasy.net and......

11432 Down
    2484 Up

We have the slowest package offered by comcast by the way. image >>

Two years ago there was a survey about the best and worst cable service providers. Adelphia finished dead last. I used to be an Adelphia subscriber by the way. After the great Adelphia scandal the company was sold and purchased by Comcast. Guess who finished second to last in that survey? imageimage
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    I have Comcast cable also. My computer is the only one that is connected through a wireless router, and I've been told that my reception and speed won't be as good because of that. Lately it's been erratic, and I've also been told that it's because of an upgrade being done. Pretty soon, if it doesn't improve, I'm going to call, whether that will do any good or not. I did the speed test also:

2597 Down
    1031 Up

I guess for cable, that's a snail's pace. image
  • Options
    I'm not at home, but the speed from Maui via San Francisco servier is:

2075 Down
    531 Up

Not too bad. I have no problem with big images on this forum from this connection.

<< <i>I have Comcast cable also. My computer is the only one that is connected through a wireless router, and I've been told that my reception and speed won't be as good because of that. Lately it's been erratic, and I've also been told that it's because of an upgrade being done. Pretty soon, if it doesn't improve, I'm going to call, whether that will do any good or not. I did the speed test also:

2597 Down
    1031 Up

I guess for cable, that's a snail's pace. image >>

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    least expensive Verizon FIOS option

Down....5199
    Up.........1791
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just switched to top-end fiber here - 6 Mbits guaranteed down or your money back.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain, Carl. When we moved out to the country a few years ago, we moved beyond DSL. I was faced with having to go from DSL back to dialup, and even slower dialup than we'd had back in '99. It was horrifyingly awful. I could get up and make a sandwich, eat most of it, and play a hand or two of solitaire while waiting for the average page with pictures to load. A lot of times I'd go through the wait, only to have the computer give up and say "screw this, operation timed out", or something like that.

I was pulling my hair out.

Finally, dear ol' Dad footed the bill for us to get satellite DSL. It still isn't as good as the "regular" DSL we once enjoyed, but it's actually usable. That dialup was so frustrating it was functionally useless.

Here at work there is a T-1 connection, so yes, most of the time here, I have that *boom* "all pages load instantly" result. Except on the huge threads like my own "Coin UNO" thread monstrosity. On those, it takes even T-1 a second or so.

One irony is that here at work, our server now blocks Photobucket and some other image hosting sites, so even though I enjoy high speed here, I get a lot of red-X pics I just can't view from work.

I can remember the 16K dialup horror months all too well- I can remember trying to browse the forums and cursing folks who had animated gifs in their siglines, or even in the avatar pics. It got so I couldn't even view threads that certain members had posted to, because any thread with their animated sig image always caused my puter to just freeze and lock up. Wow, that sucked major bigtime.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Calif. and have DSL and the test (using NY as a city) says my D/L speed is 1292 KBPS (161.5 kb/sec transfer rate) and
    my U/L speed is 289 KBPS (36.1 kb/sec transfer rate).

I'm not very computer-savvy. Is that fast, slow, or average?
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    I just got off from dial up ,,

the speed test gave me 635 down and 631 up .

Im at the lowest basic service plan ,,right now this seems fast to me after being on dial up,, but Im sure that it won't take me long to upgrade to the next level .

Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cable:
    14612 DOWN
    1784 UP
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing beats a 14kbps connection, it's so slow you don't even bother to jump on the net.

I love it.image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    2845/697
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Southeast Florida, DSL:

Download: 3129
    Upload: 382

I'm glad I don't have to upload many files!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>dial up still. dsl or cable not available. the prices on att wireless are getting dangerously close to me jumping though. >>

i feel for you! still with dial up....................image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Cable.

about 5000 down/500 up.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file