Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

LURKERS: Tell us who you are and why you don't post...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    I lurk for three reasons:

I love coin collecting

I have learned a lot form you guys and I appreciate that

Nice way to kill time at work, just being honest

• Options
    bwjetsbwjets Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Add me to the list of lurkers image I enjoy alot of different types of U.S. coins. Right now, I'm waiting for a unopened mint box of 5 1981 mint sets to arrive that I bought on Ebay, so here'e hoping to find some gems.
  • Options
    The people that have thousands of posts, mostly to hear themselves talk, more than make up for lurkers lack of posts. One of my old teachers said you can't hear when your mouth is open, so that is what I mostly do, listen.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    ttt

There's probably a gaggle of newbies chomping at the bit for this opportunity!image Lay it on us!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ttt

There's probably a gaggle of newbies chomping at the bit for this opportunity!image Lay it on us! >>

I don't post because I am not allowed to surf this forum from work. image
  • Options
    I lurk because I dont have a huge picture of my wife, car, dog etc. to scroll through, and who no one cares about, to go with my post!!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, welcome. I would like to say personally to you and anyone who read what is highlighted in BOLD that unsavory comments from the peanut gallery (whether intentional or unintentional) have kept many hundreds of normal folks from posting.

Which explains the predominance of abnormal posters? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I am me and this is my post
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Not a "lurker" but actively reading the Forum daily...

Otherwise don't have too much to say in light of the greater knowledge and experience already here

Gary
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a "lurker" but actively reading the Forum daily...

Otherwise don't have too much to say in light of the greater knowledge and experience already here

Gary >>

A lot of lurkers have low post counts and high quality posts.

It would be great to see you and many others post more.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a "lurker" but actively reading the Forum daily...

Gary >>

I can't speak for anyone else but I get tired of making it up as I go along.

Smoebody else should take over. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I mostly use this forum for research.
    Lots of folks here, have been nice enough to help me find information.

The "search" bar comes in handy for finding archived threads, and I use it a lot.
    There are some serious numismatists here, and the information many of them provide is priceless.

I don't post here much, mainly because I have been posting on another coin forum for so long.

BTW, my name is in my user ID, and I mostly collect coins and exonumia.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I like to watch members from the parking lot at coin shows. I am the Green Bandit!!
  • Options
    I only post once in awhile now.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've reached that milestone image. I can go back to lurking now.
  • Options
    I read often but seldom post; I'm just working on a modest 7070 set and my photos suck compared to the others here.
  • Options
    I lurk to find out good info. So what have I discovered by collecting & reading here?

It isn't worth the hassle to send coins to PCGS. Poor submission instructions for new guys.

There is a higher class of snobs than coin collectors. They are called yachters.

On the other hand, the Ebay rip-off items that you guys post are super info.
  • Options
    As soon as I get my question answered on my 'other' post, I too, will likely retreat to the shadows...again. I enjoy the knowledge and talents of all the regulars and I am especially tickled to see more new members adding their valuable input to this forum.
    If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read this forum several times daily. I find it entertaining and educational. I just love anything related to coins!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The majority of threads that I post to get nuked.image
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Me answer(*) Longhorn's(**) questions in best(***) way.

adamlaneus let me use account for no e-mail exists on Hrtae. He give me cheap (****) rates.

Translation:
    (*) pathetic non-answers
    (**) You know who
    (***) worst, sometimes sick
    (****) extortionately expensive
  • Options
    lurk lurk lurk... all day long

lurk lurk lurk while i sing this song

Hey, I'm almost to 1,000 posts
  • Options
    Long term Lurker here.
    I enjoy reading these forums every day and have learned a ton about all the fraud in the hobby (artifical toning, Chinese BS, Altered dates /mintmarks,"Unopened" Proof sets--the envolope type,Fake mint errors etc...).
    I have been a coin collector since 1973(born 1962) When my buddies and I would ride our bikes to drive through bank windows(in Va. Beach Va) and ask for silver coins--and recieved quite a few--mostly the 40 % kennedys,We also would search penny rolls on the steps of the bank we went to--the tellers gave us a bit of grief at first in swapping out rolls ,but after the day the president of the bank saw us sitting there searching coins and came over and talked coin collecting with us--we never had a problem again!
    Unfortunetly, I have built a number of small collections and always had to sell them to get through hard times. Presently,I have but a handfull of Collectiable coins. Now my main intrest is Roman Coins--Mostly Uncleaned Cheap ones hoping for a Find. I did recieve a 1909 Wheat penny in change the other day(no VDB) in fine condition!
    The only graded coin I ever owned was an ANACS(a paper with photo of coin-no slab) 1885 O MS 64 Morgan I bought from Ellsmere(SP?) Numismatics in 1985 for $240 (OUCH) and sold a couple years later for $80 (Double Ouch!)
    I do not post due to the fear of upsetting some of the egos on here and I am not interested in arguing with people over the most trivial things.
    Respectfully,
    Tim

• Options
    I wouldnt say I'm a lurker, I'm just not that knowledgable about our hobby as most of you. I collect only what I like and can afford, which is not much. But I can say truthfully that I have learned more on this forum in the past year than I ever imagined. My daily reading on this board has kept me from making a great many mistakes in my aquisitions and for that I sincerely thank all of you.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << LURKERS: Tell us who you are and why you don't post... >>

If they respond they won't be lurkers anymore image
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 16 years
    and still lurking? Com'on guys. :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

What fun indeed! Truth or dare. Tah tah all. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most people get right to the point so nothing to add usually.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zombie thread resurrection of the year . . . . !

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome necro-bump from 16 years ago! :D

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boatbldr said:
    The people that have thousands of posts, mostly to hear themselves talk, more than make up for lurkers lack of posts. One of my old teachers said you can't hear when your mouth is open, so that is what I mostly do, listen.

:D

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2021 11:13PM

I'm looking for the Lol Pop Guilde.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems reasonable. Nothing going on in recent years so dig up relic from the past and stir the soup. Managed to get political (comments on Clinton?). I see the point as it’s boring here and it has been a minute since a thread got closed. Well good luck and I am amazed at the “why” of all this🤓🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t post often. :D

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lurked and rarely posted for many years, before I started posting regularly.
    Reason: I didn’t know how to post pictures.

• Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I’m the definition of a lurker. Been here about 13 years, have less than 700 posts, but read regularly. There are a lot of experts and very knowledgeable people here who share their knowledge. This is a great place to learn and I greatly appreciate the willingness of the experts to share their knowledge.

I post when I have uncommon knowledge to share - which is rarely. I also post when I have a question and can’t find the answer. As a small time collector of what most here would consider dreck, my opinions aren’t worth much in this numismatic pool of knowledge.

My picture taking and posting ability stinks. That also limits what I do here. But I do enjoy lurking and reading. Thanks to most of you for making this a pleasant place.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether 5 seconds or 5 years everyone has lurked. It took me about 2 weeks to find a safe place to jump in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjWHBHlvAs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file