Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

LURKERS: Tell us who you are and why you don't post...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
Then, feel free to return to the shadows. Thank you.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    tlhoytlhoy Posts: 2,204
    OT and silly.image
  • Options
    OT and silly.

OK, fine. So lurkers, also tell us what you collect. image
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>OT and silly.

OK, fine. So lurkers, also tell us what you collect. image >>

+2image
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    My name's Tom S. and I'm a alco....Opps, wrong forum. I collect Morgan Dollars & Walkers (short series trying to upgrade). I try to keep my posts a minimal as possible so I don't get my ego offended by the ego maniacs and crawl in a hole.image

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm Russ and I don't post because this place is very intimidating and the members are mean.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Andy Lustig

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    If they posted, they wouldn't be lurkers. image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    And now for a real one...

I've lurked here off and on for the better part of a year. Finally decided to post because, well... why not? Generally, I keep my mouth shut unless I have something to offer (this is an exception), I don't bother with personality clashes and bickering, and I'm not one to reiterate an answer given by somebody more knowledgeable than me (You just might get called on it!)

But then I read some of the stuff in the open forum...

Oh, and I collect VF-lower MS type, mostly 19th century.

• Options
    kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017

<< <i>But then I read some of the stuff in the open forum.... >>

Welcome to the Open forumimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584

<< <i>Finally decided to post because, well... why not? Generally, I keep my mouth shut unless I have something to offer (this is an exception), I don't bother with personality clashes and bickering... >>

I lurk here occasionally, i'm much more prominant in the darkside forum, the reason why i generally just lurk here is because i just don't know enough about US coins. I collect 1950-64 P-Mint Washington Quarters in UNC, semi-seriously, all of which are raw naturally. I like them but they are more of a sideline to my real focus, which is medieval silver and gold coinage of England.

As for personality clashes and bickering, well i just tend to wander straight through it all. There once was a time when something like that might bother me but I don't care anymore, no point being bitter, life's too short.
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But then I read some of the stuff in the open forum.... >>

Welcome to the Open forumimage

Cameron Kiefer >>

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My name's Tom S. and I'm a alco....Opps, wrong forum.

Tom >>

Keep comin back Tom!

• Options
    stujoestujoe Posts: 1,510
    I read daily but don't post all that often. Mostly that is because Russ is mean.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    o k i lurk. i dont post because my knowledge of coins does not match my love of coins. i sit at home and watch movies and shows like back to the future or leave it to beaver and wonder about the coins and dollar bills on the show. i think man if i was back there i would . . . . . i can hear the coins beaver and wally are using and know they are silver. i saw a beat up morgan dollar on one of the doc holiday western movies and said to myself that coin wouldnt have looked like that back then. i guess i just remember when coins had value and i miss that. i dont post because i am a real big fan of coin collecting but i just cant put the money together to get any. i have had some great coins though. an 84 carson city morgan that was almost proof like, i had an 1812 half dollar that i was very proud of. i get a bit disalllusioned because when i talk to coin dealers and ask them about my coins nobdy wants to talk about them unless i first tell them how much i paid. cant they say what its worth with out knowing what i paid. i am a big fan of coins because at one time when i had a half dollar with a couple of dimes and a quarter it sounded like bells in my pocket. those of you who can should try this little test. next time you are in public like a train station or a shopping mall try dropping a couple of dollars in silver coin on the floor and watch the reaction of people around you. it would be different with old silver coins than the crap they put out today. i dont post because some here think the number of posts reflect ones comitment to being a coin buff. those who have less posts have nothing relevant to say. that cant be true. i think the coin shows on the shopping networks are even worse than going to the coin store and talking with the dealer there. i had 3 g.s.a. morgans i bought on e-bay for between 70 and 80 bucks and nope not a word untill i told him what i paid. when i told hm he said well thats about what they're worth. i lurk i dont post but i sure do like coins
  • Options
    I have posted here in the past and probably will again in the future. I have only enjoyed my coin hobby for about a year. I like reading these posts because y’all are knowledgeable and don’t pull any punches (which is sometimes hilarious) with people who have differing opinions. This site is a fun read.
    Dennis, COTC
    imageimage
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Sounds like you've got some crappy coin dealers around you coincan image Why not when it's time to sell, sell on EBay yourself? image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    I lurk, but I think that the place is overmoderated and my fragile ego couldn't take a nasty PM from the jackbooted thugs that watch over the boards

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    SylvestiusSylvestius Posts: 1,584

<< <i>i get a bit disalllusioned because when i talk to coin dealers and ask them about my coins nobdy wants to talk about them unless i first tell them how much i paid. cant they say what its worth with out knowing what i paid...

...i had 3 g.s.a. morgans i bought on e-bay for between 70 and 80 bucks and nope not a word untill i told him what i paid. when i told hm he said well thats about what they're worth. i lurk i dont post but i sure do like coins >>

I'm hearing ya! Sounds like you and i have much in common. I'm in it for the love of the hobby, heck i regularly sell coins at a loss when i fancy upgrading or trading several in for some more, who cares? Certainly not me...

As far as i'm concerned if i buy a coin i buy it because i want it for the sake of wonting it, for it's history's sake, when i sell it i don't expect to make a profit, if i lose i'm not too bothered because the money i lose is usually equivalent to the enjoyment i've had from owning it (plus if say i'd bought a CD player or something with that money, i wouldn't expect to make a profit [or even get my money back] when i decided to sell that 3 or so years down the line), you pay for the enjoyment of coins in my eyes. If you do make a profit that's unusual and a bonus.

I'd class myself as a fairly serious collector.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I lurk because I'm afraid of saying smoething that might get me bammed.
  • Options
    ,I LOVE THIS PLACE, IT ALL GOOD ,AND I WILL STOP LURKER/STALKING AND START TO BE MORE PART OF A GREAT THING ?MY NAME IS JAMES AND I LIVE ON THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII ! I HAVE A VERY NICE COLLECTION ! IT NOT A BAD THING ?I NOT A WANTABE YET...BUT WHO KNOWS WE WHERE ALL WANTABE AT ONE TIME ? BEST WISHES AND HELLO :image
  • Options
    trbyrnetrbyrne Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Bigtime lurker here. I just generally like to read than type. I do enough typing at work each day. I've learned a lot here and I thank you for it.
  • Options
    I'm Jimmy and I've lurked here for far more than a year (maybe two or three). I don't post because I really don't collect coins. I read these boards (this one and the baseball card forum) daily because I find the personality clashes fascinating (and I love acquiring information about the historical aspects of our coinage).

The intolerance here is both extreme and entertaining. It's gotten to the point (both here and in our society) where people are not just intolerant of others' opinions (e.g. this coin is DCAM and not just CAM and you don't know what you're talking about if you think it is), but also of their likes and dislikes (e.g. modern collectors just don't know what they're doing). The vitriol and ad hominem attacks appeal to our basest sensibilities. I am guilty of chuckling at them, but I also find them sad.

So, even if you don't see me post for the next couple of years, trust that I will be reading, laughing, and shaking my head daily.

-jhg

(please excuse all of the parenthetical asides)

Always looking for Pugh baseball covers
  • Options

<< <i>I lurk, but I think that the place is overmoderated and my fragile ego couldn't take a nasty PM from the jackbooted thugs that watch over the boards >>

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    This thread is turning out pretty well. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in it for the love of the hobby >>

I'm in it for the money.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Bigtime lurker here. >>

Damn, I'd say so! A total of 19 posts since Feb. 2001! Xpipe posts that many per hour.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bigtime lurker here. >>

Damn, I'd say so! A total of 19 posts since Feb. 2001! Xpipe posts that many per hour.

Russ, NCNE >>

On a slow day.
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    I guess you could call me a lurker here (Though I'm shocked that I have 300+ posts). I read far more often than I post, and when I do post it seems to come in spurts. Why don't I post more? Well, I'm really not a dedicated coin collector like most people here are. I go through periods where I spend a bunch of time putting together parts of a collection, and then I spend months not even thinking about coins. I also don't have as much knowledge about coins that most people here do since my limited knowledge doesn't really hamper my collecting. This is because I simply cannot afford these multi-hundred and multi-thousand dollar coins that I see many people here talking about on a daily basis. I mean, to think that someone has a "collection" of Saint Gaudens Gold Coins just floors me as it would take years for me to save up and afford just one coin. image (Though I can say that I do have one 'real' gold coin. An 1880 $5 half eagle which is a beauty for me, but probably junk for most people here. image) The other day I got my first 1/4 ounce platinum eagle and that just floored me as I had been saving for a while to be able to get one. Funny thing is, there are collectors here who probably pick up seven or eight at a time. lol.

So most of my lurking is just so that I can get a chance to see these gorgeous coins that people have. Sometimes I can chime in with a photo of a coin that I have, but I'm still in awe over some of these specimens I've seen. For me, I have an actual complete collection of Roosevelt Dimes including proof coins. When the mint sets and silver proof sets come out, I'll have this year's versions as well. I'm currently putting together a collection of coins from the year 1880 which is 100 years prior to my birth. In that collection, I have every Morgan Dollar minus the proof version, an IHC, and a $5 half-eagle from the philly mint. The rest of the coins in the series will probably cost me a pretty penny, so it will take me a while to get ahold of them. As for other collections, I'm putting together a set of Complete Sets of Topps Baseball Cards from the year 1980 through the present. As of right now, I'm only missing the years 1980, 1981, 1984, and 1985.

Finally, my big collection which is mentioned in my signature, is my collection of the elements in the periodic table. I own a pure sample of every element on the table that is not radioactive. (I got some fluorine gas a few weeks ago). Heck, I even have some depleted uranium metal which it turns out isn't nearly as radioactive as most people would think. This element collection is truly my pride and joy and I'm simply amazed when I look at it sometimes. I've posted pictures of my elements up at a chemistry forum I work for, and these photos have been noticed by some big people. A publishing company has gotten ahold of me and will be using some pictures of mine in an upcoming general chemistry textbook scheduled for printing later this year. Right now, just my phosphorus photo is scheduled for use, but the authors like all the photos and will probably want to use more. So that's really my big collection and in some ways that has tied into my coin collection. (Silver Eagles and Maple Leafs are part of my silver samples, gold maple leafs make up parts of my gold samples, and platinum maple leafs, pandas, and eagles make up parts of my platinum sample. In fact, my recently acquired 1/4 oz platinum eagle was for my element collection and not my coin collection. image Older Candian Quarter/Dimes/Half-Dollars are made of pure nickel, so they have a place in my element collection too. US coinage has provided me with pure copper samples (The core of modern dimes and quarters) and pure zinc samples (modern pennies).) That's really all there is to know about me. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one remains silent, you can not be called upon to repeat it...

It is better to remain silent and thought of as a fool instead of talking and removing all doubt...

I thought perhaps those of the Republican persuasion would appreciate Silent Cal

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking of becoming a lurker. Does that count?? Since I'm a Larson, Lars Lurker fits...See,s like we've run out of interesting topics and the Wannabe rants are getting old. Lurking is looking more attractive daily.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ThatdamnThatdamn Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I am a coin collector of 45+ years. Still, after collecting for so long, I do not have a lot of coin knowledge. So, I read the coin forum to learn, and keep quiet. For the last 6-7 years, I have focused on collecting uncirculated classic commemorative halfs.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Cal also said "I have noticed that nothing I never said ever did me any harm". Good, imaginative thread, Mr E.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    zeus135zeus135 Posts: 1,043
    Yep, I guess I qualify as a lurker too. I enjoy learning about and collecting coins. It's a hobby for me, plain and simple. I'm not in it to make money, but if my kids make a pretty penny or two down the road, that's great.

I also enjoy learning about American History. I have a 1840 large cent (PCGS, F15) that isn't worth much, but could you imagine if it could talk? I mean, Martin Van Buren was in office when it was minted. Thomas Jefferson had only been dead for 24 years when it was minted.

My collections? Hmmmmmm......... full sets of Buffalo nickels, LIncoln pennies, Walker Halves, and I'm one short on my Washington quarter set (1934D, grrrr....... it's being evasive). These sets have the "common" dates in AU-MS, the tuffer ones are F-VF, so it's nothing much to brag on. But what a feeling of accomplishment when they are complete!

Anyway, don't mind me, I'm just trying to learn a thing or two. image
    My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • Options
    tigermarootigermaroo Posts: 264 ✭✭
    My 21st post and I've been a member for a LONG time, and I read posts all the time. I've even made a lot of deals with other members. I guess I lurk because people know a lot more than I do, and I have to admit some members are somewhat intimidating. I collect copper coins, and that's about it.
  • Options
    Aiyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

theFonz
  • Options
    I've been a lurker for a few months mainly because I'm new to collecting and didn't have much too add. The Draped Bust Dollars have zoomed out of my price range, so I started looking to the Darkside. At my first convention in St. Louis, I bought a 1796 italian crown, 8 Lire, genoa. also bought a thaler from 1624 Germany saxony (Sax-Gotha) D-7431
  • Options
    I have been a lurker for quite a while. I also have been collecting for quite a while but still have a lot to learn.

I have been collecting silver Roosevelt's, Mercury dimes, and just added Barber dimes to my list of coins I am collecting.

I think there are probably two reasons that I seldom post. The first is because there are so many posts made on here, that I think I would just get lost in all of the posts. The second is because I am probably considered a wannabe. I do not want to be a dealer, but the only way I can afford to collect for myself is to sell at a profit when I can. I will buy several coins and sell all but one. The coins that I sell (hopefully at a profit) will pay for the one that I keep.
  • Options
    I lurk, but I'm trying to quit.

/Kore
    I'm on dial up, nuff said!
  • Options
    brumabruma Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Hello, My name is Bruce and I am a married man. It has been three months since I last tried to have an opinion-----about anything except a Morgan dollar.

I post when I think I can provide useful information - - which looks like lurking because that doesn't happen very often. I sometimes decide not to post something because I'm not sure I would be available to follow-up and answer anything that called for a response. I read this forum often, if not consistently, to learn things and I do appreciate its existence and contributors. Thanks to all...........Bruce
    Trying to collect anything else would only make me more painfully aware that I do not have enough money for the Morgans I think I need
    My Morgan 58's
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Bruce, I'm really impressed with your almost complete AU-58 Morgan set. Looks like a lot of patience and hard work and money have been put into this set. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    I've lurked for a long time but post infrequently, mainly because individuals that don't constantly post with a high post count seem to be largely ignored. What is almost comical about this is the avatar labels that are assigned based on point count. In order to be an "Expert Collector" on the forum, your post count has to reach a certain threshold which you can achieve by posting non-sensical comments on every thread you come across. The unfortunate potential side effect of these labels is the perceived weight they might add in the mind of someone new to the forum. Just because someone posts frequently doesn't make them an "expert". Some of the people labeled as "expert" coin collectors in the forum spell like they never made it out of the fifth grade.

This is the first forum that I've participated in that allows such a large level of forum noise, such as a single post with a smiley face in it or an "I agree." message. Unfortunately, all this noise causes some really great threads with good, sound, and intelligent responses to become buried and unnoticed. What ends up in their place are flame wars, Ebay auction commentary (I'm even guilty of this one), and "I got another pop!" threads. On the half-dozen or so forums that I'm actively involved in (non-coin), this kind of stuff would result in warnings and eventual bans.

Also, since this forum is largely sponsored by a slabbing company and I'm not a big slab head, a large portion of the threads are about interaction between individuals and various grading services and/or slabbing in general. Any comments I offered on those threads would likely be viewed as inflammatory since I have a low opinion of the slabbing industry as a whole.

So, I continue to lurk, looking for the occasional gem posts that are always a good read. I appreciate the input of those that have something worthwhile to contribute and look forward to continued reading. For those new to the forums I can highly recommend taking the time to read some of the older, archived messages. There was a thread about coin photography that was full of useful information and details on the process. Thank you to everyone who contributed to that particular thread. I learned a lot.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Posts: 3 ✭✭

I am a strict follower of the ancient wisdom known as "Lurk before you leap."

• Options
    I have learned a lot about the hobby from these boards and will continue to read. I do put my two cents in from time to time just for my own benefit. I collect what ever catches my eye, old quarters, new quarters, any old silver with a date on it, that is what I like. I collect not to sell. That said, I tend to agree with what thegutz said before.
    I do get a kick out of some of the characters on this site.

I hope all has a wonderful week. image
  • Options

<< <i>I lurk because I'm afraid of saying smoething that might get me bammed. >>

Oh don't be scared, if anyone bamms you tell them to shut upimage
    If you made a valid point others will stand up for you. (I think) image
    pz
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333

<< <i>I lurk, but I think that the place is overmoderated and my fragile ego couldn't take a nasty PM from the jackbooted thugs that watch over the boards >>

Does Carol know you are talking aboot her in public again?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Busted! I'm a lurker, been that way for a year and a half. Just like to read the forums for educational purposes and an occasional chuckle.

Anyhoo, my name is Rick and I collect.... moderns (cue the crickets). Specifically my goal is to obtain an example of every coin (excluding commems and bullion) made from my birth year (1970) to present. I've decided on PCGS plastic as my storage medium for proofs while I keep the business strikes raw.

I've submitted a few business strikes to PCGS just to test my grading skills and was pleased with their opinions as nothing came back less than a 67 and met my grade expectations.

I'll post again in a couple of months!

Rick

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file