Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If I wanted to jump on the bullion bandwagon, is this a good price for common date Saints?

I got an email from a very large organization, attempting to whip me up into a frenzy over the price of gold, and getting in on the ground floor before the price per ounce really soars. Below is a partial cut and paste of the text of the email. What do you think of these prices? What do you think about the "premium over spot" that they quote and compare from prior years? Or should I just stick with First Spouse coins? Please answer quickly before the price of gold goes up another $100 today!!!!!!

"Is $1,500 an ounce gold possible? With the way things are going it seems so. Now is a great time to grab some $20 St. Gaudens as many believe, and experts have predicted, that gold bullion will reach $1,000 to $1,200 an ounce over the next year.

Plus, as the U.S. dollar continues to weaken, I believe gold is the best store of value to protect your assets - your savings - and numismatic gold is even better. Here’s why:

First, $20 St. Gaudens move with gold bullion prices. Should gold bullion reach $1,200 an ounce an MS63 certified St. Gaudens, based on today’s numismatic premium, will be selling for $1,595; MS64’s at $1,835 and MS65’s at $2,340. With the devaluation of the U.S. dollar, $20 St. Gaudens would be worth even more in today’s dollars.

Also, the premium $20 St Gaudens are trading over spot metal prices is historically low. In the late 1990’s MS63 $20 St. Gaudens were trading for a 107% premium over spot gold. If that were the case today, MS63 Saints would be selling for $1,728 each! MS64’s, which had a 205% premium, would be $2,545 and MS65’s at 285% premium over spot gold would be trading for $3,215 each! If there is a shortage of $20 St. Gaudens on the market - with demand getting stronger it is likely - today’s historically low premiums will not last.

Take a look at the offer below and call XXX-XXX-XXXX to reserve the grades and quantities you want.

$20 St. Gaudens Special: PCGS or NGC Certified

MS63 $20 St. Gaudens $1,115 each

MS64 $20 St. Gaudens $1,280 each

MS65 $20 St. Gaudens $1,630 each

Please note: Dates and grading service are of our choice and prices are subject to change due to market fluctuations. If paying by credit card additional fees apply. Call for details."
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    You should be able to get all the PCGS or NGC 63 saints you can handle at about $970 each.
  • Options
    I agree with the e-mail regarding the soaring price of gold. If you would like to purchase St. Gaudens coins, then I would check out APMEX since their prices are a little lower, in fact, I think they offer the best deals on coins. The Gold Saints will be much more liquid than the Gold Spouses. Most dealers won't touch any modern stuff. Give this a try, give Stacks a call and tell them that you want to sell them Gold Spouses. They won't even bother with you. Then try to sell the Gold Saints and you'll see the difference. I am personally dumping most of my modern coins and I will move the money into Gold Saints and I will be holding them for the long term. Gold will probably hit $1500 to$2250 an ounce with no problem. Jim Kramer of "Mad Money" predicted the price of Gasoline will be $4.00 dollars a gallon within 6 weeks. If that happens, then you better hope you have some gold stored away.
    GUINZO1975
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    That is funny, I wonder how many chumps fall for it.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got an email from a very large organization,.... >>

Name of this company?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The historical information seems about right, but their taking assumptions about the premiums in an overbought market in the late 1990's and applying it to today's pricing isn't necessarily valid.

Further, if you consider MS-63 Saints as old bullion (as I do), they shouldn't have much premium at all, let alone a fantasticly high one. If this bullion market continues, and I believe that it will - I would expect the premiums for MS-63 and then MS-64 Saints to diminish as the price of gold washes out any numismatic considerations.

A 28% premium on an MS-63 Saint. It's never going to be a rare coin. Nah, I'd rather buy a 2007-W Burnished Unc American Platinum Eagle (current mintage = 3,054; projected mintage = 4,500 max.) at 11.7% over spot from the Mint. You get the potential appreciation and a possible low mintage kicker that has low grade Saints beat every which way.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    As of right now you can buy problem free Saints at much better prices than the ones quoted to you if you contact a few of the larger gold wholesalers.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You should be able to get all the PCGS or NGC 63 saints you can handle at about $970 each. >>

In your dreams
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correspondence like you received is good for use as toilet paper in case of 'emergencies.'
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold will probably hit $1500 to$2250 an ounce with no problem. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Whenever I see "dates our choice" as applied to a numismatic collectible (i.e.- not bullion) I'm gone...image

Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't the bandwagon leave the last stop a while ago?
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    If you want to ride the gold wave, why buy Saints or any other coin that carries a large premium over spot? Every dollar of premium over spot is money that is not in gold--it is in numismatic value which is not tied to the gold price. You are better off with Gold Eagles. And even there you will be buying gold at a premium over spot, which means of course that gold has to go up further by at least that much in order for you to break even.

CG
  • Options
    $1500 an oz ? extremely unlikely. if not impossible.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I see a pull back to $750 some time before next summer before it hits $1000. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1500 an oz ? extremely unlikely. if not impossible. >>

It may take many years but gold will eventually exceed $1500. Ever hear of inflation?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    Why not just buy modern boullion in an MS, like the buffalo or the eagle? If you are trying to tie your money to the price of gold?

Gold Buffalo $873.00

Gold Eagle $859.40

1927 Saint AU $914.67
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper is getting stolen. China is moving into second place in gold output and we can't even find a silver lining in a cloud anymore image

Bandwagons should have been jumped on three years ago. It's almost near the end of the road.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It may take many years but gold will eventually exceed $1500. Ever hear of inflation? >>

If inflation were actually a factor, gold would have passed $1500 long ago.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I can remember in the late 80's probably 87 I was selling Maple Leafs and Krugs at $480. Had a few buyers come in and buy 6 figures against my advice to buy monthly, oh no they protested Gold is going to take off, ever hear of inflation, its a good 5-10 year hold. Well ten years later we were buying it back from them at $280. For pete's sakes NO one knows what the future holds.

Edited to add: total inflation during that time period was 43% or an annual rate of 4.3% Gold was a great hedge against inflation. image
  • Options

<< <i>If you want to ride the gold wave, why buy Saints or any other coin that carries a large premium over spot? Every dollar of premium over spot is money that is not in gold--it is in numismatic value which is not tied to the gold price. You are better off with Gold Eagles. And even there you will be buying gold at a premium over spot, which means of course that gold has to go up further by at least that much in order for you to break even.

CG >>

Or just invest in much more liquid ETF's. No paypal fees or dealer margins to deal with there.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    The wholesale buy/sell spreads today for sight unseen NGC/PCGS Saints is:

MS 62 $910/$945
    MS 63 $960/$1000
    MS 64 $1130/$1195
    MS 65 $1425/$1460

Spreads are narrow on these so if you pay much over the ask end you're working with the wrong dealer.

WH
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The wholesale buy/sell spreads today for sight unseen NGC/PCGS Saints is:

MS 62 $910/$945
    MS 63 $960/$1000
    MS 64 $1130/$1195
    MS 65 $1425/$1460

Spreads are narrow on these so if you pay much over the ask end you're working with the wrong dealer.

WH >>

Thanks Wayne... I think that is what was really being sought out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file