Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I confess, I was a dipper

Klif50Klif50 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭
I now hang my head in shame but was just doing what the market required. I worked in a coin shop in Laurel, Maryland from 1977 to 1981 on a part time basis (I was full time military over at that NSA place). EVERY SILVER coin we bought hit the jewel luster. Every circulated Morgan or Peace dollar hit the jewel luster. Dip, swish, rinse, pat dry, coin after coin after coin after coin. No one wanted those old tarnished coins. Every proof Ike dollar hit the jewel luster since we knew they would develop that ugly white toning. Every unc CC GSA dollar was popped out and dipped. When people complain about things being dipped, I'll take a big chunk of the blame. Everyone wanted white coins, circulated or uncirculated. You couldn't give away toned pieces. We always had a jar of jewel luster open by the sink and the smell haunts me to this day.
I also learned how to effectively use "dellers darkner" to make those old large cents look better. No one ever thought anything about it, it was just business as usual.
Anyway, I'm much older, probably not wiser, and that coin shop has long since gone out of business (even though we did really well during the gold and silver Hunt brother debacle) and during my time I got to see some old time collections of coins and stamps that I'd only read about. I never owned them. Most of what I collected was type and Bust Halves. I religiously dipped all my bust halves and when I sold off my collection in 83 I had over 200 of them, no idea of the date or condition, I just bought every one of them I came across that I could afford but XF pieces were selling for $35 or less.
Anyway, feel free to curse me if you need to. I did not know what I was doing except doing what the boss said to do and what just about every other coin shop did.
Sorry image
Cliff

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was dipping the norm in from 1977 to 1981?

People used to lacquer copper all the time and those people don't get cursed.
  • Options
    It's still the same today. And it's "market acceptable". There isn't a blast white coin in existance over 80 years old that hasn't been dipped, no matter what the owner says. Enjoy!
  • Options
    That shop was on Route 1, right?

Garrow
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Once you were lost, but now you are saved!............Praise be!!!!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options

<< <i>It's still the same today. And it's "market acceptable". There isn't a blast white coin in existance over 80 years old that hasn't been dipped, no matter what the owner says. Enjoy! >>

Incorrect.. Depends on how you define blast white!
  • Options

<< <i>Depends on how you define blast white! >>

What are some commonly used definitions?
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Your far from alone there. Dipping still is a great thing for some dealers in order to sell to the uneducated numismatist. Sort of like the people that refinish an antique desk, chair, table, etc. I too used to dip, clean, wash coins to make them pretty but that was long, long ago. I used to take every coin I had and washed it in baking soda and water. Similar stupid thing is I found an old sewing machine table at a flea market. Added a shelf by drilling through the legs, drilled holed for wheels on the bottom, drilled big holes in the top for my protable bench grinder and wire wheel set up. A neighbor lady that knows antiques saw it, called me almost every name in the book and stormed away. Later her husband showed me an antique book with my table and it was worth lots and lots and lots if not messed around with. At least I didn't paint it.
    Carl
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I also would like to beg the forgiveness of the numismatic community--not just for the coins I've dipped in the past, but for the ones I'll surely dip in the future.
  • Options

Well Cliff..I was a dipper too in the early 80's (dipped skoal tobacoo). But I'm reformed..just like you!

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with dipped coins, as long as the dipping was done to get crud which has accumulated removed from the surfaces of a coin. I've seen coins like this become much more pleasing to the eye once they were correctly dipped. The rest of the dipping I can do without, thank you.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who hasn't dipped is the question.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Who hasn't dipped is the question. >>

I haven't ever dipped but based on the results I've seen with modern proofs, I want to start image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Who hasn't dipped is the question. >>

I haven't ever dipped but based on the results I've seen with modern proofs, I want to start image >>

DITTO

There is just no excuse for a hazy field on a modern proof. image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a nicely toned Peace Dollar I bought once.

Before giving to me the helpful guy at the shop dipped it right in front of me, just like it was a normal thing to do. He then handed to me saying "there, now it looks good".

anyhow. It's a terrible thing when today's standards are applied to yesterday's behavior. It was the thing to do at the time.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    And part of the problem is that so many of these dipped "blast white" old Bust and Seated coins are quickly slabbed after dipping, thus preventing them from having a chance of retoning to something remotely resembling originality...they are entombed as freakish-looking for a long, long time...
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's still the same today. And it's "market acceptable". There isn't a blast white coin in existance over 80 years old that hasn't been dipped, no matter what the owner says. Enjoy! >>

Really?
  • Options

<< <i>

Really? >>

Absolutely.
    Even with today's modern intercept shield holders, sonic slabbing, and all that crap, after a decade, toning begins to appear on coins. Anyone that collects blast white morgans and believes they were never dipped is living in a fantasy world--the same goes for all vintage coins. And before toning became popular, it was the collector base that insisted upon white coins, and it was the sellers that delivered, albeit with a little help from goddard's. The exceptions to this rule are so few and statistically tiny, they aren't worth mentioning. Everything should be considered dipped, and there's really no way to prove it one way or the other, except through the laws of chemistry and oxidation, which is a fact of life even the most stubborn defenders can never deny. Silver cannot exist in coin state for 100 years without reaction. Impossible.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>

<< <i>

Really? >>

Absolutely.
    Even with today's modern intercept shield holders, sonic slabbing, and all that crap, after a decade, toning begins to appear on coins. Anyone that collects blast white morgans and believes they were never dipped is living in a fantasy world--the same goes for all vintage coins. And before toning became popular, it was the collector base that insisted upon white coins, and it was the sellers that delivered, albeit with a little help from goddard's. The exceptions to this rule are so few and statistically tiny, they aren't worth mentioning. Everything should be considered dipped, and there's really no way to prove it one way or the other, except through the laws of chemistry and oxidation, which is a fact of life even the most stubborn defenders can never deny. Silver cannot exist in coin state for 100 years without reaction. Impossible. >>

Lots of Morgans sat in bank vaults in dry climates, and lots of them survived blast white. Most GSAs in holder have never been dipped. There is no incentive to do so when the price differences in the lower MS grades is so small. What coin doc would take the time and risk to carefully crack open the GSA holder, dip the coin, then carefully reseal the holder, just to get $10 or $20 more for it? If either the cracking or resealing went badly, they would lose far more money than they might possibly gain. If they got a reputation for selling resealed coins, they could no longer sell to most audiences.

The government certainly did not dip the GSAs. There would be evidence, witnesses, invoices for chemicals, if any government approved dipping went on. Any one who bought one directly from the sale, can be assured that their GSA coin is original. The toned coins were sold separately for a discount.

Many Redfield Morgans also survived undipped. Hoarders had no incentive to dip their coins. There have been plenty of silver dollar hoards and other hoards.
  • Options

<< <i>The exceptions to this rule are so few and statistically tiny, they aren't worth mentioning. >>

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the GSA and redfield hoards really statistically tiny and not worth mentioning?
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

<< <i>Are the GSA and redfield hoards really statistically tiny and not worth mentioning? >>

Yes. And, I do not hold the GSA dollars in the same regard as others, I guess. I've seen some nasty looking cleaned garbage in those holders, many circulated and toned, and the brilliant ones are baggy and suspect in many ways. But, that's just my opinion. I'm not going to change my mind that 99.9% of all vintage silver coins have been dipped if they are white, and many have been previously dipped even when they're toned. When this dipping business was in full swing, everything toned got a dip, but then people started retoning them, and now when people dip their toners, sometimes it becomes obvious they are overdipped and grey. Ooops. Time to retone them again. These "hoards" you speak of, sitting in bank bags, lol, yes TINY STATISTICALLY TINY SMALL FRACTION of what is out there.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>

<< <i>Are the GSA and redfield hoards really statistically tiny and not worth mentioning? >>

Yes. And, I do not hold the GSA dollars in the same regard as others, I guess. I've seen some nasty looking cleaned garbage in those holders, many circulated and toned, and the brilliant ones are baggy and suspect in many ways. But, that's just my opinion. I'm not going to change my mind that 99.9% of all vintage silver coins have been dipped if they are white, and many have been previously dipped even when they're toned. When this dipping business was in full swing, everything toned got a dip, but then people started retoning them, and now when people dip their toners, sometimes it becomes obvious they are overdipped and grey. Ooops. Time to retone them again. These "hoards" you speak of, sitting in bank bags, lol, yes TINY STATISTICALLY TINY SMALL FRACTION of what is out there. >>

You are entitled to your opinion.

For pre-Morgan coinage, it is may even be accurate.

However, most Morgans did not circulate. The average uncirculated coin is MS63 or 64. It just isn't worth the time or effort to dip the common date median grade coins. For what? $3 extra if they can find a gullible buyer? Most docs are too busy going after big game, not $5 little fish.

In my opinion, the undipped white population of Morgans is a huge number of coins. There may be a tiny handful of dipped coins in the GSA holders. Show me three images online of obviously dipped GSAs in holders and I might start to think there is a percentage of such coins. Otherwise, I think I will continue to think such rants are rubbish.

• Options

<< <i>Many Redfield Morgans also survived undipped. >>

This one...

was white when I bought it. It's toning nicely now. image
  • Options
    I'm just glad to see collectors appreciating the natural process of oxidation....

on old metal antique items its called patina.....

a play on words just like "Tone" is but in the antique world its not only accepted it greatly drives prices and desire..

AL
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just glad to see collectors appreciating the natural process of oxidation....

on old metal antique items its called patina.....

a play on words just like "Tone" is but in the antique world its not only accepted it greatly drives prices and desire..

AL >>

Yeah, try to sell a coin on fleabay and refer to the toning as "TARNISH"! It made me laugh, a few days ago, I was browsing ebay and found a newbie selling silver eagles in 10 coin lots. She described them as follows "8 of these appear to be uncirculated but 2 of them have horrible tarnish"--the toning was quite beautiful (and NT) and I had intended to buy them but just forgot about it, until now. The "tarnished" eagles were also uncirculated, but it demonstrates the sentiment that most people new to the hobby still have--if a coin isn't blast white it must be circulated, and it certainly isn't desirable.
  • Options
    The shop was in the Laurel Shopping Center across the way from the movie theater. After they expanded into comics and baseball cards they also opened a shop around the corner in what was "the wood den".
    The one coin that rest in my mind as not having been dipped was a 1895-S Morgan which had an exceptional strike and was toned a pleasing black with purple underneath. We talked our selves in to believe it was a branch mint proof and Walter Breen take a look at it. He pronounced it a gem proof like business strike, an opinion that Wayne Miller agreed with. I really wanted to dip that thing but the boss held out and sold it for the princely sum of 3k. This was before the greysheet started listing MS60 and MS65 grades and everything was circ, XF, slider, unc, choice or gem. That was a huge sum to pay for such a coin in 1978. Some times it's a good thing to tell the exhuberant younger people to slow down and wait a few minutes before dipping the next coin.
    Cliff
  • Options

I was re-reading this thread from 2007 and thinking about all the coins I dipped early in my career working in a coin shop. Everything needed dipping (except copper) and that is where it would go directly after being bought. Everything looked so much nicer without that nasty tarnish.

How times change. I am just bringing this out to put the old days back in the spot light. It was the thing to do at the time. Not so much now. Collecting changes over the years (how many old copper collectors still lacquer their early large cents?).

If I was bad bringing this really old thread back to light, sorry.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's only "bad" for people who don't realise that it's an ancient thread that's been bumped, and who then attempt seance-like to communicate with members who are now long-gone.

WARNING: THIS IS A NECRO THREAD. PLEASE CHECK THE DATE ON A POST BEFORE REPLYING TO IT.

There. That ought to do it.

Now, on the general subject.

Non-collectors often wonder why coin collectors place a premium on never-been-dipped coins. And the answer is much the same as for anything else we place a premium on: supply and demand. Because so many coins were dipped decades ago, the few survivors that never got the treatment are, relatively, rare.

It's also a one-way trip: anyone can dip a coin at any time, and many well-meaning people do, but it's not possible to un-dip a coin. The percentage of never-dipped coins is therefore always going down. They are therefore getting rarer every year.

This, I suppose, is an unforeseen advantage of the high prevalence of slabbing in the current market: a slabbed coin is much less likely to get dipped or polished by a well-meaning but clueless heir before being sold. So hopefully, future generations of collectors won't find more and more of the top-tier coins getting ruined.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

People buy shiny just like paint on cars.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

After dipping the MOST important step is neutralization of the dip and a proper rinse,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Artificially white..... :s

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2023 1:47PM

I love to "Dip"!
    Great differences. Many coins I dip before sending to PCGS. Have, so far, been successful! No details.
    So, I must be doing something right?
    :D
    Many times, just before I send out modern clad Quarters, (W's), with haze. The dip would help tremendously!
    Twice, I hit ms 67 grades.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1921 Peace Dollar that I bought because of it's exceptional strike and lack of any dings on Liberty's face or in the fields or on the reverse as well. The coin is not blast white and to me looks natural. So, I submitted it to ANACS on a show freebe and it came back a disappointing MS62. Could it be that they downgraded this coin because it has signs of being dipped in the past? Perhaps I should crack and dip in acetone to see if it brightens the coin and resubmit?

Thanks to the OP for his historical perspective on dipping of silver coins. While I have only dipped coins in acetone which is not considered a dip by most people as it only removes surface issues without effecting the underlying surface luster.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shame on you Mister😱

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, all we need is for the coin doctors to come forward and admit all they did.....

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

1977-1981 just be glad you weren't hauling buckets to the refinery :o

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

How costly is an exorcism?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭

Every time I stepped into my dealers coin shop and went into his back room private office there were all the necessary type of accoutrements all over his desk in which to enhance inventory. He never tried to hide them and I thought it was the normal tools of the trade. I was green, had no idea what they exactly did to the coins, glad I never bought anything from him lol.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@basestealer said:

Yeah, try to sell a coin on fleabay and refer to the toning as "TARNISH"! It made me laugh, a few days ago, I was browsing ebay and found a newbie selling silver eagles in 10 coin lots. She described them as follows "8 of these appear to be uncirculated but 2 of them have horrible tarnish"--the toning was quite beautiful (and NT) and I had intended to buy them but just forgot about it, until now. The "tarnished" eagles were also uncirculated, but it demonstrates the sentiment that most people new to the hobby still have--if a coin isn't blast white it must be circulated, and it certainly isn't desirable.

If I were looking for toned coins I would add searches with the word “tarnished”.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2023 11:03AM

Dipping conservation normal part of the biz. Nothing wrong with it. Just do a quick in and out (tap water) for few seconds, rinse real good, pat dry with soft cloth. Many coins need a dip now and then especially if went bad in the holder.

Never really was a fan of tarnished coins. It results from exposure to the atmosphere and will get worse with time. Prefer material that has super, cartwheel luster (PQ). So do most off the bourse.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2023 11:19AM

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I have a 1921 Peace Dollar that I bought because of it's exceptional strike and lack of any dings on Liberty's face or in the fields or on the reverse as well. The coin is not blast white and to me looks natural. So, I submitted it to ANACS on a show freebe and it came back a disappointing MS62. Could it be that they downgraded this coin because it has signs of being dipped in the past? Perhaps I should crack and dip in acetone to see if it brightens the coin and resubmit?

Thanks to the OP for his historical perspective on dipping of silver coins. While I have only dipped coins in acetone which is not considered a dip by most people as it only removes surface issues without effecting the underlying surface luster.

Who knows? It could have been something else, strike, marks. Try a dip if you think will improve chances. But if it’s already dull well…probably best it’s gonna be. Dipping is for removing tarnish, haze. If luster already gone….well no restoring it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭

Original surfaces are now the trend. The biggest loss for the hobby was the matte proof dipping. Hard to find matte proof gold with original surfaces now and gold doesn't tone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file