Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*UPDATED* Which Would You Rather Buy: This Coin or a Kitchen Appliance?

In another thread, I mentioned that I mistakenly left an invoice for my latest purchase on the kitchen counter. It was folded in half, but it was technically in the open (so I can't claim the moral high ground by making an accusation of snooping), and my wife found it.

She is far too clever to be angry. One evening earlier this week, after we cleaned up after dinner and the kids had disappeared upstairs, she reached into a pile of papers and pulled out the invoice. I knew what it was even before she calmly unfolded it and handed it too me. My heart quickened as I cursed my own carelessness under my breath. A flash of anxiety undoubtedly crossed my face, and my muscles tensed as I suppressed the instinct to run away. But, as I said, my wife is far too clever to be angry; so, instead of facing her wrath, I'm confronting an argument that we should be spending our money on a kitchen renovation.

Up to this point, I was winning the argument against a kitchen renovation by evoking a sense of guilt in my wife. I'd ask, "How can you ask me to spend hard earned money on something that we really don't need?" Needless to say, the force of that argument left when the invoice arrived. I'm defenseless and looking for a new strategy.

It occurred to me that maybe my wife would be persuaded by the opinion of a group of unbiased folks. I'm sure that she'll abide by a majority vote of the CU U.S. Coin Forum. So, please cast your anonymous and entirely unbiased vote here. I'll show the poll results to my wife and let you know how she responds. Here's the coin that came with the invoice (photos courtesy of Mike Printz):

Would you rather have the coin or a new appliance (please assume that all your kitchen applicances are currently in good working order)?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Well, we're currently undergoing a kitchen remodel so we are buying new appliances. But if the old ones work perfectly fine and you're not doing a remodel or general kitchen updating, I don't see why the appliance would be necessary.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are looking for an UNBIASED response HERE?????? image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    We went through a complete kitchen re-model two years ago. It was a lot of work and expense but was worth it. I can't imagine going through it if it wasn't necessary though.

Buying a coin isn't blowing money like spending it golfing, bowling or going to strip clubs. At least some portion of the outlay can be recovered and frequently a profit can be made.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin. You're up a creek without a paddle - you've got to do both now. That's what home improvement loans are for.

Ain't debt great! image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

Just built a new house 3 years ago and have brand new, in good working order, appliances. SO, I get to buy coins. BUT......now she wants a flagstone patio in the backyard image which is going to put a hurtin' on the coin budget for a little while.

Just think of it this way. You can get the new Stove and cook up some Toned Monsters and make your $$$ back.image

If Mama ain't happy.......(you fill in the blank)!

wes

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather NOT be you.image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    If your wife is unusually rational for a woman...oops, can I say that???...then she might listen to this fact-based argument:

The coin you just bought will likely never go down in value, will be available to convert into ready cash in the event of an emergency, and could be passed down as a family heirloom. It is a capital good.

The kitchen remodel will net you about 75c on the dollar if you sell your house right away and perhaps 10c on the dollar if you sell in 5 years when the appliances are older. 20 years from now will you even know you did it? It is money consumed rather than put into capital goods.

--jerry
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    You could win the survay, but I think if you don't remodel you may loose your spouse's respect. Give her what she wants and work together in the process. You may even find yourself someday being rewarded.

My wife knows about my coin purchases and I run every new coin that I buy past her. I value her opinion. Sometimes she pickout something I didn't see. She will comment on the color or whiteness. She goes to coin shows with me. She told me to buy a 2006 Anniversay gold set (which I didn't because of the amount of money it cost). She supports my decsions, and I support her. I love the fact I don't have to hide things the way some of the member here seem to have to do. She has even bought me coins like my 1942/41 Mercury Dime, 1937-D Three Legged Buffalo Nickel and more. One show we went to there was a guy making Hobo Nickels. She wanted one, so I bought one for her. It's a two way street.

Now--you do know what the right thing is don't you!

Have fun with your remodel. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Dear Mrs. Lou,

Please do NOT take any of this out on me as I was only helping your husband (I presume this little bump in the road of marital bliss will not affect his status as husband moving forward?) find the shield nickels he is so madly in love with. He made it perfectly clear to me that any monies used for coins were NOT earmarked for anything other than his complete and total enjoyment of these small, round discs.

Should there be any fallout whatsoever to this unfortunate event I need to know you and I are on good terms.

How's that? I'm sure everything will be fine.
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options

My wife made the appointment for the carpet installers to come out today and measure the house for new carpet....image

Get the wife her new stuff and reap the benefits later...image
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Tell her that a coin is more likely to appreciate in value than a kitchen appliance. Granted, you can't cook a meal on a shield nickel, but I still vote for the coin.

PS. My radiant heat cooktop has been fixed, in case you are wondering. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    honesty is the best policy.

and some new stainless steel appliance would look smashing image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need the kitchen appliance. You're already cooked.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    No kitchen could ever look as nice as that coin! Until they build appliances that tone as naturally and beautifully as that nickel, I'd vote for the coin every time.

Ask your wife what you could sell the kitchen for in the future, and what the return on investment would be compared with the coin.

Of course, these are all the opinions of a die hard coin collector, but you are up against the most fearsome of all adversaries - a wife armed with incriminating evidence in hand. In short, I hope you enjoy your new kitchen.

And that is my very 'unbiased' opinion. image
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about giving you a flippant remark, but then it occured to me to do a serious response.

First, is the kitchen getting kind of worn down, e.g. could it use the renovation?

Second, is your wife bringing in income? If not, is she raising your kids, which, let's face it, is a full time job in it's own way.

While I agree with Jcarney that coins are a store of wealth and can be profitable so too can a proper kitchen remodel. From all studies I've seen a kitchen remodel is the one remodel that when you eventually sell your house you get more money out of it than you put in. I realize it might be a long period of time before you sell your place, but it may also be a long period of time before you sell any coins too.

Finally, let's face it, she's got you by the short hairs. Find a nice date where you can give in gracefully, be it her birthday, your anniversary, Christmas etc., and tell her the remodel is a gift. It'll save you the hassle of finding a nice gift for her (and the money that would be spent on it), it'll make her sweet to you for at least 24 hours, and it'll allow you to spend on coins guilt free for a while.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Total Votes: 27

I'll take a kitchen appliance.
    12 (votes) 44.44 (%)
    I'll take the coin.
    15 (votes) 55.56 (%) >>

Do we have a lot of female lurkers?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tell my wife that I can always sell it for more than I paid - it's an investment, fer cripes' sake image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings from Mrs. RYK...

My husband is at work (or so he says it's work image ), and I have been following your saga very closely. I completely understand your wife's desire to remodel her kitchen. Not that I have made much more than occasional pancakes and heated up frozen dinners, I have always wanted the kitchen of my dreams. Just like you guys like to compare your coins and one-up your buddies, we like to do the same when we get together. I consider the home to my hobby every bit as much as that lazy lout considers coins to be his.

I have been at odds with my husband over this for several years, but we are finally realizing my goal and dream of having our home remodeled to my liking. It has taken a lot of negotiating, bargaining, pleading, etc. Finally, I compromised and allowed him to take over an underutilized room in our home as his "coin collecting room" AND have allowed him to build an audiovideo room in the addition. He seems to be satisfied with this.

As for the coins, chances are, you have another coin that looks just like the one in this thread. Why do you guys needs so many? Are you all trying to overcompensate for something else? While I do not know how many coins my husband has, I do see a lot of old packaging material when I take out the garbage, occasional slips of paper around, and have noticed that my husband runs to the door to get to the mailman as if the house were on fire. He thinks I do not know what's going on, but I do, and I choose to let him have his hobby...so long as I can have what I want, as well.

At any rate, Mr. IGWT, I will be in touch with the Mrs. to help her with some strategies for negotiating with you. As you may know, we share the same specialty in the same profession, and I can help your wife win the argument, get what she wants, and I may even have some design suggestions. I did not appreciate that Kenmore comment in the other thread. image

Sincerely,

Mrs. RYK

PS Please do not let my husband know that I visited with you today. image
  • Options
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    Go for the appliance but avoid wallpaper at all costs.
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    glad I'm single image I'm one of them "don't fix what isn't broken" types when it comes to needless spending of money. If the kitchen is functional and isn't something horribly ugly out of the 70's with wallpaper everywhere I'd say go for the coin. It's a beauty, a great investment, and will go up in price. How about you post a picture of the kitchen so we can compare? image
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    You bought a NICKEL for the price of an appliance, and you are trying to explain to your wife how the nickel trumps an appliance, good luck.
  • Options
    Not that I have made much more than occasional pancakes and heated up frozen dinners

Mrs. Longacre... is that you?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Whether you realize it or not, you've already bought the appliances.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with this one.

If there is really nothing wrong with the old appliance, all other things being equal, I'd side with the poster who said

<< <i>The coin you just bought will likely never go down in value, will be available to convert into ready cash in the event of an emergency, and could be passed down as a family heirloom. It is a capital good.

The kitchen remodel will net you about 75c on the dollar if you sell your house right away and perhaps 10c on the dollar if you sell in 5 years when the appliances are older. 20 years from now will you even know you did it? It is money consumed rather than put into capital goods.
    >>

This is a truly valid point.

There are too many particulars of which I do not and could not ever know for me to vote in your poll with any sincerity, though. Obviously, I'm more into coins than kitchen remodeling, but we live the real worlds of our real marriages ... I think you probably need to just suck it up and buy the appliance.

Been down this road before ...
    mirabela
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Dear Mrs. Lou,

Please do NOT take any of this out on me . . . .

You're being very kind to my wife, Mike. You must know who really controls the money.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the generous giveaway..........as I voted in the poll Ill take the coin.
  • Options
    PS. My radiant heat cooktop has been fixed, in case you are wondering.

I'm glad to hear that, Longacre. image I just stoked our stove with some more firewood. image
  • Options
    I thought about giving you a flippant remark . . . .

That's the only kind I was expecting. image
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Tell her this just proves how unique you are and how lucky she is to have you. Ask her how many of her friends are married to such an artistic individual such as you.

Any woman can marry a man but it takes a special woman to marry a discriminating, well-wrought, sublime, sensitive, grand artiste as you.

Brother......if that fails.......don't say another word and get out the checkbook.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    At any rate, Mr. IGWT, I will be in touch with the Mrs. to help her with some strategies for negotiating with you. As you may know, we share the same specialty in the same profession, and I can help your wife win the argument, get what she wants, and I may even have some design suggestions. I did not appreciate that Kenmore comment in the other thread.

After reading your letter, Mrs. RYK, I now understand why RYK spends so much time on these boards. image
  • Options
    Compromise, Compromise, Compromise that's what she always says. Her needs come first, as they say "If mama is not happy, no one is happy". But as long as her needs are taken care of I can buy all the coins I want.
    Retired U.S. Army Paratrooper 1977- 1992 Served Proudly. 100% DAV
    All The Way - And Then Some
    I collect Modern Commemoratives
    and anything Franklin.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you enjoy your new kitchen.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    The results of this poll are absurdly close. image
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're screwed. I hope you make a profit on the nickel and enjoy your new kitchen image
  • Options
    kalch23kalch23 Posts: 312
    You have to sell it as an investment. You're just thinking about you're future ...

That being said, I just shredded my last auction invoice so my fiancee wouldn't see it.

Hello, my name is James, and I have a problem...
  • Options
    as they say "If mama is not happy, no one is happy".

Amen, brother. It took me a while to figure that one out the hard way.
  • Options

<< <i>glad I'm single image I'm one of them "don't fix what isn't broken" types when it comes to needless spending of money. If the kitchen is functional and isn't something horribly ugly out of the 70's with wallpaper everywhere I'd say go for the coin. It's a beauty, a great investment, and will go up in price. How about you post a picture of the kitchen so we can compare? image >>

I am also single, and agree about not fixing what isn't broken. Gee my dryer is from the 70s, the timmer is broken, so I can't turn it on if I might fall asleep. And I have to put something in front of the door to keep it closed. But it STILL WORKS.

That being said, I think you will have to do the bathroom too.
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take out a loan and get both.
    I voted for the coin. I don't see your logic that this is unbiased poll though, beings as all here are coin collectors. If you took this poll with any other group do you think the vote would be even close?
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    I don't see your logic that this is unbiased poll though, beings as all here are coin collectors

I agree with Rec78 here....I think you should post this poll to the "How to get a brand new kitchen the easy way" forum over @ the Martha Stewart site image
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q: How to get a brand new kitchen the easy way?

A: Sell your husbands coins.
  • Options
    Someday you will have to pay to have the appliance hauled off to the dump, or someday you can dump the coin on a fellow collector for a profit. No contest.image
  • Options

<< <i>Someday you will have to pay to have the appliance hauled off to the dump, or someday you can dump the coin on a fellow collector for a profit. No contest.image >>

I could not have summed it up better myself. image
  • Options
    I don't see your logic that this is unbiased poll though, beings as all here are coin collectors. If you took this poll with any other group do you think the vote would be even close?

Please don't impugn the integrity of your fellow board members. image Anyways, the results suggest that a fair number are appliance collectors. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on your wife's side since I don't like the shield nickels very much at all.
    Get the appliance image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Be grateful she isn't sneaky. My first wife would have started the discussion, handed me a generous length of rope by letting me claim we couldn't afford it, and only then produce the receipt.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    Buy any appliance that says IN GOD WE TRUST on it.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Be grateful she isn't sneaky. My first wife would have started the discussion, handed me a generous length of rope by letting me claim we couldn't afford it, and only then produce the receipt.

Dastardly!
  • Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842
    Upgrading the kitchen is for investment purposes as well and a valid reason to have it done. When it comes time to sell, an updated kitchen will fare better than an outdated one. I think you are backed into a corner on this one and will have to fork over the $$ for the renovation.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see your logic that this is unbiased poll though, beings as all here are coin collectors. If you took this poll with any other group do you think the vote would be even close?

Please don't impugn the integrity of your fellow board members. image Anyways, the results suggest that a fair number are appliance collectors. image >>

I have come to appreciate a few appliances...

These refrigerator drawers are great for keeping your beer and wine nice and cold, and no one ever thinks to look for beer in the drawer!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file