Home U.S. Coin Forum

*UPDATED* Which Would You Rather Buy: This Coin or a Kitchen Appliance?

Comments

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I think you need to hire a better lawyer, IGWT. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

<< <i>These refrigerator drawers are great for keeping your beer and wine nice and cold, and no one ever thinks to look for beer in the drawer! >>

Tsk, tsk. You just blew your cover when I come to visit during the EAC Convention.
  • Try having separate checking accounts. It has worked wonders for my marriage. Also, leaving receipts around is pretty much asking for grief. You had to be asking for it. image

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    on the basis of the information provided, i'd go with the coin if only because in the long run it'll prove to be the better investment of the money involved, assuming both are equal. the kitchen might provide some peace on the home front and aesthetic appeal to anyone who enters it, but if it's in good working oreder and up to date from a fashion standpoint, it's foolish to place your hard earned dollars into ti at the expense of the coin.

BTW, she's your wife so the snooping clause is a moot point. what's yours long ago became hers!!
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

The appliance is gaining ground!
    I'm using all of my alt IDs to vote for the appliance. image
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I'm using all of my alt IDs to vote for the appliance. image

I'm not surprised, Mr. Radiant-Heat-Cooktop. image
  • I love that nickel.....
    BUT if you keep her happy, she will keep you happy.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    What's more important, you're mental and physical health by reducing your stress levels via collecting coins? image Or new appliances to replace your old appliances that work just fine? image
    -George
    42/92

• << <i>I love that nickel.....
    BUT if you keep her happy, she will keep you happy. >>

I Agree
    It's a horse race. When will the final vote be tallied?
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I voted for your wife. Gotta keep her happy - or otherwise there won't
    be too many new coins in your future !

Plus, if you do a home construction loan or rewrite your mortgage,
    you may have a few extra bucks to add a coin or two to your collection.

Its a win-win situation.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Do be sure to leave a list of prices realized on recent auction sales of both similar coins and similar current kitchen appliances that your wife is looking to purchase
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(photos courtesy of Mike Printz):

Would you rather have the coin or a new appliance (please assume that all your kitchen applicances are currently in good working order)? >>

Well, I voted with my heart and took the coin, but after a careful search on the internet, I found the following and really must re-consider

HE>I

I suppose it's time to close the poll. Mrs. IGWT has read through this thread, and she thinks that we're amusing in a pathetic sort of way. What amuses her most, however, is that there's just a 5% spread between the choices . . . on a coin collectors' message board for God's sake. She has claimed total and complete victory despite the fact that the coin garnered a slim majority of the votes. I can either capitulate or hire Al Gore's legal team. Either way, I'm deeply disappointed.
  • tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In another thread, I mentioned that I mistakenly left an invoice for my latest purchase on the kitchen counter. It was folded in half, but it was technically in the open (so I can't claim the moral high ground by making an accusation of snooping), and my wife found it.

She is far too clever to be angry. One evening earlier this week, after we cleaned up after dinner and the kids had disappeared upstairs, she reached into a pile of papers and pulled out the invoice. I knew what it was even before she calmly unfolded it and handed it too me. My heart quickened as I cursed my own carelessness under my breath. A flash of anxiety undoubtedly crossed my face, and my muscles tensed as I suppressed the instinct to run away. But, as I said, my wife is far too clever to be angry; so, instead of facing her wrath, I'm confronting an argument that we should be spending our money on a kitchen renovation.

Up to this point, I was winning the argument against a kitchen renovation by evoking a sense of guilt in my wife. I'd ask, "How can you ask me to spend hard earned money on something that we really don't need?" Needless to say, the force of that argument left when the invoice arrived. I'm defenseless and looking for a new strategy.

It occurred to me that maybe my wife would be persuaded by the opinion of a group of unbiased folks. I'm sure that she'll abide by a majority vote of the CU U.S. Coin Forum. So, please cast your anonymous and entirely unbiased vote here. I'll show the poll results to my wife and let you know how she responds. Here's the coin that came with the invoice (photos courtesy of Mike Printz):

Would you rather have the coin or a new appliance (please assume that all your kitchen applicances are currently in good working order)? >>

That is a really nice coin image
  • NicNic Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a nice, and VERY tough , coin. K
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    You might as well do the kitchen thing. Yes, I voted for the coin. Her alternative is to put your coins on ebay to pay for her new kitchen!
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you're paying the rent and putting good food on the table with your hard earned money, you shouldn't have to explain your coin expenditures.

This is the theory, anyway.

I vote for the coin. Tell your wife you deserve it.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    New kitchen appliance means food right? And I'm eating food right now and it tastes a lot better than the penny I swallowed when I was 5, so I'll take the.......

COIN

What did you expect!!! image

• I just voted for the coin, it's just too damned purrrty!!

However, I also had to concede to my wife on the remodel of our house......so , just give up and hope the meals are tasty! image

Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"

• This is a true story as god as my witness.

Last month I bought:

A Range (Kenmore ELite Stainless)
    A Microwave (Kenmore ELite Stainless)
    A Fridge (Kenmore Elite Stainless)

Last December I bought

A new Washer and Dryer (Kenmore HE4 ...you know.. the front load jobbys that use 2 cents less water and cost 2 times as much )

This was after a gander at my inventory listing I keep in Exel.

Any questions on how I vote?

If you dont make mistakes, you aint doing much
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I may be in the minority here, but I say that a hobby should not come between you and family harmony.

Like you, my wife and I sort of have a policy of 'don't ask / don't tell' in place.

Beyond that, a justification for expensive coins that seems to hold some water with her, is that well-purchased coins tend to act as a sort of savings account; i.e. with most hobbies once the money is spent it is gone, however with coins it just tends to get tied up for a while.

Short of finding a way to get your wife to come around to your way of thinking, you may have to face the painful fact that if you can afford a gorgeous shield nickel, that you can probably find a way to afford a kitchen remodel. The upside, is that once it is finsihed, you may ultimately be allowed to collect coins more freely.
  • oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    In my house it would be the kitchen appliance. But with good reason, one kitchen appliance would comeback to me threefold in Numismatic spending $$$!!! image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that you will keep this coin, but the next purchase will be of HER choosing.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • NicNic Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'll change my vote. I apologize to you, the misses, RYK's wife, etc. Send me the nick and get the appliance. Mike, what is the very least, image, I need to send. K
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    That's an extremely cool shield nickel, and probably a more stable investment than a kitchen appliance. image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • A nice kitchen really helps sell a house. Upgrading an appliance that is working perfectly rubs against my grain. However I would consider a lasting upgrade that really improves a kitchen to be an investment.

So, assuming this really is a valid kitchen upgrade, I would follow the advice above and get a loan so I could have the coin and the kitchen upgrade. After all that is one sweet nickel!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some great responses here... I really could use the Refrig drawer.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are some great responses here... I really could use the Refrig drawer. >>

Be a cool place to store those coins. image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    If you can afford to remodel without going into debt, by all means go for it. Just don't break the bank on buying the most high end stuff, since in as little as 6 or 7 years it will be "dated" will have lost a lot of its value and in 20 years it will need to be redone, no matter how much you spend.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • I'll take the kitchen appliance. If I take the coin, I'll be sleeping alone. You can only get so much from a coin!!
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Like at least one other has said, you came to the wrong place looking for an unbiased opinion.

IMO, there is a larger issue here at hand: you buying high dollar coins behind your spouses back. In a way, I wish I could do that as well, but as it is we pool our finances and my other half sees every cent come in as go out, and I too see the "books". I read thread after thread of people talking about the money (a lot of money) they spend without their spouses knowing it, and one is left to imagine the deciet going on under such roofs.

Now before you catalog me as all unveiling, I occasionally sell sh1t and what ever I earn, you damn well can bet where it will be spent. I figure that is money I've earned. Money outside of the buget. I honestly do wish it were a little different, wish I could spend myself into deeper debt buying more pretty coins, but there are other lives affected here, and if it comes down to a kitchen appliance for the family, or a coin for YOU, the better choice is to buy the kitchen appliance, or what ever it may be. It sounds to me like you've got a good, smart woman there - do what makes her happy. Of course I'm being a complete hypocrite here but wtf?

• ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I keep separate checking accounts. Today I paid a former student and his sons to take out the old bathtub and install a new whirlpool for which she paid. She also called in someone to paint several rooms and redo the woodwork along the corners of the ceilings in several rooms today. Thankfully I can fix the washing machine. She just spent over $3 grand for some exercise equipment, yet the most expensive coin I've ever purchased was for $650, also from Larry Whitlow. (She did buy me a $20 Saint and an NCG MS-62 $20 Liberty for Christmas 2002 when gold was at $350) Does she owe me something like the original poster's nickel? Our kitchen appliances are all working. I spent the three most enjoyable years of my life in a Ghanaian town with no electricity, running water, kerosene, or telephone service with neighbors who valued history and keen observations over household conveniences, so of course I'll vote for the Shield Nickel instead of more stuff around the house. If I could return all her exercise equipment for half the price paid, I'd rather have my pleasantly plump wife, four or five coins like the OP's and no more obstacle course though our cluttered dining room, kitchen, and spare bedroom.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Greetings,

My wife is unhappy all the time ,so i'll just continue to buy coins as I see fit. she can buy whatever she wants as long as she pays for it,
    Bruce
    Update: I didn't mean to leave you all hanging, but there wasn't much to report until today. I had to take a couple of hours off work this morning to be home when the contractor arrived with the final contract for the kitchen renovation. The deed is done. We signed the contract, effectively sacrificing many prospective coin purchases on the granite altar of kitchen cabinetry.

But I shrewdly negotiated for permission to attend the ANA show in Milwaukee. And I also managed to make a purchase just under the wire. Here it is (photos courtesy of Mike Printz):

I don't focus on proof coinage, but this coin gave me a reason to fill out my business strikes with the two proof-only years of the series. It's a nice coin.
    Lovely coin. It will be too bad when you have to sell it to pay for the first (or second or third) surprise during construction. imageimage
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IGWT:

You know, if you use your new stove correctly, you can take up a new occupation by toning many a coin and perhaps make a large profit on the remodeling! image
    Mark

So Mrs. IGWT won out, huh? I thought I was the only sniveling wimp on these boards. image

<< <i>So Mrs. IGWT won out, huh? I thought I was the only sniveling wimp on these boards. image >>

RYK: "Snivel...snivel..."
  • BajajimBajajim Posts: 529
    You are screwed, glued and tatooed.
  • Oh comon'... I'm my own man who makes all th---

*Hold on sweedums, I'll be right there!!*

--sorry I'll have to finish this up later.
    First get the knowledge, then the coins.

imageimage

<< <i>So Mrs. IGWT won out, huh? I thought I was the only sniveling wimp on these boards. image >>

She wore me down easily. I was ready to agree to anything after just 15 minutes of looking at various styles of backsplashes. Hey . . . I just had an idea that I'm going to send to the CO of Guantanamo.
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    To the Mrs: Tell him to return that coin immediately...it has a large crack in it!
    He can get rid of that hideous coin by mailing it to me, and I will dispose of it for you. Thank You.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
    Now would probably be a bad time to tell you about this shield nickel discovery specimen coming up for auction later this month. image

<< <i>Now would probably be a bad time to tell you about this shield nickel discovery specimen coming up for auction later this month. image >>

The link isn't working. I thought I looked closely at all lots of any interest in this auction. What did I miss? image
    I saw that, and it looks interesting, but not interesting enough to incur the wrath of Mrs. IGWT. This '66 RPD It's a different variety, but I like it better. You'll have to do a better job tempting me to cancel the kitchen appliance order. image

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I sold some and bought a ROOF.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file