Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let's start a new HOF Debate. Who among these guys gets in?

Current players:

Biggio
Sheffield
Frank Thomas
Glavine
Manny Ramirez
Thome
Mussina
Schilling
Pedro
Nomar

I've intentionally excluded locks such as Clemens, Griffey Jr., Maddux, Rivera, etc. and avoided roided up clowns such as Bonds, Sosa, etc.

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Thomas and Glavine.

Pedro and Nomar with a couple more strong years.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Biggio - Most likely if weight is given to his position, but not on first try.
    Sheffield - Nah. Good player though.
    Frank Thomas - Most likely, but maybe not on first try.
    Glavine - Yes
    Manny Ramirez - Yes
    Thome - Nah
    Mussina - Nah
    Schilling - Borderline. Not on first try and may take some campaigning.
    Pedro - Yes
    Nomar - Nah
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with these guys...

Craig Biggio: Consistency, durability and longevity at three different positions (similar to Molitor).
    Frank Thomas: The best unjuiced slugger of the era, plus 2 MVP awards. Gets minus points for being a DH, but still gets in.
    Tom Glavine: Underrated. As solid as they come in the modern era.
    Manny Ramírez: One of the 10 best RH hitters of all time.
    Pedro Martínez: The best pitcher I have ever seen in person. If he had Clemens' build, he'd have won 400 games.

The others are certainly good players, but given the era of exploding offensive stats for hitters, Sheffield, Thome, and Nomar just haven't put up enough numbers. Mussina and Schilling haven't been dominant enough to merit consideration.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Biggio-Yes
    Sheffield-No
    Frank Thomas-Yes
    Glavine-Yes
    Manny Ramirez-Yes
    Thome-?
    Mussina-No
    Schilling-No
    Pedro-Yes
    Nomar-not unless he buys a ticket-not close at this point

I consider all my yes answers to be absolute locks except for Manny. I expect him to be in, the others are in if they retired to today. I believe everyone on the list has a decent shot except Nomar.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Biggio - Yes - 3,000 hits and top 5-10 in all-time doubles
    Sheffield - 500 Hr's would help, but I just don't think he was "that guy" enough to get in
    Thomas is a lock if he gets to 500, if not then he's a "but he was dominate for x number of years" guy
    Glavine - a possible 300 win pitcher in today's game is an absolute lock
    Manny - Yes, one of the best hitters in the era, possibly ever
    Thome - Maybe close. I think he has to get in the 550-600 hr's to get in. Not enough clout in other areas
    Mussina - probably not, had the benefit of being on good teams and his ERA isn't that good
    Schilling - If he gets in it will be from the K totals and the bloody sock, I say no for now
    Pedro - Dominate pitcher who would get in if he quit now
    Nomar - Noway unless he stays healthy and gets another 1,000 hits in the next 5 years. Then maybe
    Travis
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are covering the bases pretty good.

One thing...

I'm really disappointed in Nomar - I had higher expectations for him.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Biggio, yes esp. if he gets >3,000
    Sheffield will be tough, I think, but if his career BA went over .300, it would help
    Frank Thomas -- one more season like last, and I think he'll get in
    Tom Glavine - yes
    Manny Ramirez - yes
    Jim Thome - with one or two more solid seasons, yes
    Mike Mussina - probably not
    Pedro - yes. I would consider him a lock.
    Nomar - way too early to tell.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Lets throw in chipper jones and John smoltz also

for the rest:

Biggio-yes
    Sheffield-no
    Frank Thomas-yes
    Glavine-yes
    Manny Ramirez-yes
    Thome-no
    Mussina-no
    Schilling-yes
    Pedro-yes
    Nomar-no

Chipper-yes
    Smoltz-yes
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Smoltz with one 20 win season in 18yrs? I'll pass.

Dont forget The Big Unit!
  • Options

<< <i>Lets throw in chipper jones and John smoltz also

for the rest:

Biggio-yes
    Sheffield-no
    Frank Thomas-yes
    Glavine-yes
    Manny Ramirez-yes
    Thome-no
    Mussina-no
    Schilling-yes
    Pedro-yes
    Nomar-no

Chipper-yes
    Smoltz-yes >>

I think both Smotz and Larry Wayne will be borderline guys that we will debate for years. I don't think either is clear cut at this time, however Chipper does have a few years left to pad his resume.
    Travis
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Biggio-Yes
    Sheffield-No
    Frank Thomas-No
    Glavine-No
    Manny Ramirez-Yes
    Thome-Yes
    Mussina-No
    Schilling-Yes
    Pedro-Yes
    Nomar-No
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Biggio-Yes, eventually
    Sheffield-No
    Frank Thomas-Yes, not on first ballot
    Glavine-Lock
    Manny Ramirez-Probably first ballot
    Thome-Not yet, another 1-2 good years, maybe
    Mussina-No
    Schilling-Not enough complete, solid seasons
    Pedro-Lock
    Nomar-No
  • Options
    I'll go with Frank Thomas and Glavine.

Anybody think Julio Franco deserves some consideration? Maybe just for longevity? image And he has a .299 career avg.
    << image >>
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭✭
    Biggio - Yes
    Sheffield - Better than average shot
    Frank Thomas - Yes
    Glavine - Yes
    Manny Ramirez - Yes
    Thome - Probably
    Mussina - If he gets to 300, yes
    Schilling - This year counts a lot, but probably
    Pedro - Yes
    Nomar - No

In addition to the no-brainers you listed, I'd also include Randy Johnson, Arod, Vladimir and Piazza.

Pudge, Hoffman, Pujols, Jeter and Ichiro will make it in too. Chipper's also got a good shot, as do Tejada and Smoltzy. If Santana continues his dominance, he'll be a first-ballot guy.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Smoltz with one 20 win season in 18yrs? I'll pass. >>

See Dennis Eckersley.

<< <i>Anybody think Julio Franco deserves some consideration? >>

No way. Do you want to put Jesse Orosco in too? image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Biggio - Yes, but not 1st time
    Sheffield - No
    Frank Thomas - Yes, but not 1st time
    Glavine - Yes, probably 1st ballot
    Manny Ramirez - Yes - 1st ballot
    Thome - Yes - with 2 more solid years
    Mussina - No
    Schilling - No
    Pedro - Yes 1st ballot
    Nomar - No

• Options

<< <i>Smoltz with one 20 win season in 18yrs? I'll pass.

Dont forget The Big Unit! >>

Most wins in post season history and a dominant closer for a period of time will cancel this out.

imagey
  • Options

With the advent of the Wild Card, post season stats have lost some of their luster.

I think Albert Belle should have had more consideration, but b/c the writers hated him he had no chance. He was a terror for his short career and played on very good teams.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    The game has also evolved to the point where pitchers do not need the traditional lofty numbers that they used to need to even get a sniff.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Interesting discussion so far. Here are my own thoughts:

Biggio - a lock assuming he gets to 3000.

Sheffield - Ugh. If he gets to 500, let the debate begin and I'm sure he'll tell you how good he was. I would vote no.

Frank Thomas - 500 homers gets him in. For a while, the most feared hitter in baseball.

Glavine - 300 gets him in.

Manny Ramirez - Yes, assuming he gets to 500 and doesn't pull any truly knuckleheaded stunts along the way. People overlook his hitting prowess sometimes; the guy can flat out rake.

Thome - I think he gets in with 500, certainly 550 homers. Kind of the Harmon Killebrew of our time, only a better overall hitter.

Mussina - doubtful. A very, very good pitcher however.

Schilling - I don't believe he has Hall worthy numbers, but the postseason adds to his lore and he may get in eventually.

Pedro - The Juan Marichal of our time, only better. In.

Nomar - no, unless he puts up some serious numbers over the next 3-5 years.

Others: Too early to tell on Jones. I don't think Smoltz gets in if Schilling doesn't. Pudge, Jeter, A-Fraud, Pujols, Clemens, Maddux, Griffey Jr., and Randy Johnson are all headed in the Hall's direction. Most of these guys are locks.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Rickey Henderson...
    << image >>
  • Options
    Henderson will get in.

imagey
  • Options
    Henderson is a shoe-in...1st ballot no-brainer
  • Options
    Biggio: yes, eventually
    Sheffield: depends on the steroids issue.
    Frank Thomas: if he plays for 2 more years and puts up decent numbers, absolutely
    Glavine: a lock.
    Manny Ramirez: no doubt
    Thome: classy guy, some superb numbers, a genuine steroid free slugger thats gonna club 500+ homers? a lock.
    Mussina: nope, not gonna happen, never truly dominated
    Schilling: borderline
    Pedro: yup, a lock
    Nomar: too many injuries, not evenclose
  • Options
    Biggio - Not unless he has a miraculous resurgence
    Sheffield - No
    Frank Thomas - yes, eventually
    Glavine - slam dunk
    Manny Ramirez - slam dunk
    Thome - yes if he gets to 550 HR
    Mussina - yes, if 300 wins and/or 3000 SO but not looking good; no multiple 20 win seasons hurt
    Schilling - no; too many injuries
    Pedro - slam dunk
    Nomar - yes but needs another 4 or 5 years and a LT BA over 300
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Honestly, I question why Nomar is even in the discussion. Maybe 5 year ago, but not now. Hardly dominant and the injuries kill him.

Baseball-reference has him compared to the following

Miguel Tejada (850)
    Chick Hafey (841) *
    Ken Williams (835)
    Magglio Ordonez (823)
    Wally Berger (815)
    Scott Rolen (804)
    Jackie Robinson (802) *
    Rich Aurilia (799)
    Hack Wilson (794) *
    Travis Jackson (790) *

Biggio was not dominant, but he played everyday, was rarely hurt and was the picture of consistency.

Look at who baseball-reference has Biggio compared with...pretty good company

Robin Yount (831) *
    Joe Morgan (817) *
    Roberto Alomar (816)
    Lou Whitaker (776)
    Paul Molitor (776) *
    Ryne Sandberg (765) *
    Cal Ripken (753) *
    Charlie Gehringer (751) *
    Brooks Robinson (741) *
    Vada Pinson (732)
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Do we know for certain Jim Thome never did roids? I'm not saying he did, but I have no idea if he did or not. Up until yesterday, I didn't think Gary Matthews Jr. did HGH or roids, but you never know anymore.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Not for sure about Thome, who has "bulked" up since he came into the league. Thome does not look defined like a Sosa, Bonds or McGwire...Thome just looks thick and big
  • Options
    only the guys the press hates used steroids. the others get a free pass. image
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Biggio - 1st ballot

No one else matters image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    What's all this 'probably' talk regarding Biggio??? The guy is going to collect his 3,000th hit this year, plus he's one of the best second basemen of all time. He's a first-ballot lock - unless by some miracle he does not reach 3,000. Without checking, I think he's about 90 away.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>Not for sure about Thome, who has "bulked" up since he came into the league. Thome does not look defined like a Sosa, Bonds or McGwire...Thome just looks thick and big >>

Thome has definitely put on a lot of weight. But nobody ever accused Rafael Palmeiro or Jason Grimsley of being body builders, but look at what we found out.

Unfortunately, nobody is safe from the steroid/HGH cloud in baseball's steroid era.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Biggio has 2930 hits....I agree he is a lock, just not sure about 1st ballot
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned Santana...how about Roy Halladay...I know it's early in his career but he is conisdered by most to be if not the best one of them.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    one more...now that he is retired...Bagwell?
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Halladay I would say no..he turns 30 this year and has 95 wins. I think someone like CC Sabathia would have a better shot than a Halladay.

Santana needs about 7 to 10 more years at his current pace and he could be in
  • Options

<< <i>one more...now that he is retired...Bagwell? >>

He was always one of my favorites. Unfortunately I don't quite think he has enough to get in. If anything he should get bonus points for being able to hit anything with that goofy a$$ swing.
    Travis
  • Options
    good point. Halladay started too late. still a damn good pitcher.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    how about Delgado? he should easily hit 500 HRs. (but then i thought McGriff would have too)
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Why no love for Mussina? He has a 0.644 winning percentage and played on some bad teams with the Orioles. And if you want to compare him with similar players, 5 of the most similar players are HOF's and at least 2 others being highly considered (Glavine, Schilling).

Juan Marichal (915) *
    Jack Morris (873)
    Clark Griffith (869) *
    Bob Welch (867)
    Carl Hubbell (860) *
    Curt Schilling (857)
    Tom Glavine (857)
    Jim Bunning (854) *
    Bob Gibson (850) *
    Kevin Brown (847)

300 wins will not be the magical number for modern pitchers like it was in the days of 4 man rotations. I think any pitcher who started in the 1990's and gets to 250 wins will be a strong contender for the Hall. He had a strong last season with a 3.51 ERA and was top 10 in ERA, WHIP, SO/9 and SO. Also the 20 win number is just a number it's like saying Aaron didn't have enough 50 or 60 HR seasons. He did have 7 years of 17 or more wins. Wins again are overated as the team and other players really affect that number.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Mussina has a great shot, no question.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    Biggio - Yes, after a couple tries
    Sheffield - it wold take a weaker than averaage ballot
    Frank Thomas - Yes, definite
    Glavine - Yes
    Manny Ramirez - Yes
    Thome - it would take monster HR #'s (600)
    Mussina - not likely
    Schilling - I'd go with Schilling over Mussina - he has that magic Series moment like Brooks Robby over Reds in 1970
    Pedro - Yes
    Nomar - Not unless he finishes career like his 1st 9 years instead of last few
  • Options
    I am surprised Thome is somewhat of a question mark. In his 13 year career he has had....40 HR's 6 times, 100 RBI 9 times, scored 100 runs 8 times..has a .282 career BA, played in two W/S with 17 post season home runs....although his post season BA is something to be desired .229
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>one more...now that he is retired...Bagwell? >>

He was always one of my favorites. Unfortunately I don't quite think he has enough to get in. If anything he should get bonus points for being able to hit anything with that goofy a$$ swing. >>

Are you talking about the squatting to take a poo stance? image

He should get in the Hall but unfortunately, he will proabably get grouped with steriod users.

It's a shame but it is what it is.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Biggio has 2930 hits....I agree he is a lock, just not sure about 1st ballot >>

Look at all the other 3,000 hit guys who've been inducted recently. Murray, Brett, Yount, Molitor, Boggs, Ripken and Winfield. They were all first ballot inductees. I think the first one to break this string will be Palmeiro. Biggio's dominance at his position (2B) will also help his cause - not that you really need anything on top on 3,000 hits. I just can't see him not being inducted first ballot. Heck, if he's not, I'll send each member of this board a crisp $1 bill. image
  • Options
    Bagwell was nothing more than Dave Kingman with a funny stance
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bagwell was nothing more than Dave Kingman with a funny stance >>

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
  • Options

<< <i>Bagwell was nothing more than Dave Kingman with a funny stance >>

Except that Bagwell could hit for average, extra base hits that weren't home runs, take a walk, be a 30-30 1st baseman, and I think he even won a GG. You're right, other than that they were identical.
    Travis
  • Options
    You can do better than some Abe Lincoln quote.

My own thought is Bagwell was good, great at times, but not a HOF
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Pedro Martinez is a lock. He's 23rd all-time already in Bill James HOF monitor. Thomas, Ramirez, Biggio, Sheffield, Schilling, Glavine, and Smoltz will also make it. Thome, Garciaperra, and Mussina are less likely. Ton of other players will be more deserving.

HOF Monitor (where > 100 is likely HOFer) for players not yet eligible:

345 B. Bonds
    266 A. Rodriguez
    212 I. Rodriguez
    209 K. Griffey Jr.
    205 M. Piazza
    193 R. Alomar
    192 D. Jeter
    191 S. Sosa
    186 R. Henderson
    184 F. Thomas
    182 M. Ramirez