Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Let's start a new HOF Debate. Who among these guys gets in?

2»

Comments

• Biggio- probable...needs a weak group
    Sheffield- 1st thought is no
    Frank Thomas- another big year and he's a yes
    Glavine- yes. He should get to 300 wins, wasn't he a World Series MVP? Possible 1st ballot
    Manny Ramirez- yes
    Thome- no.
    Mussina- 1st thought-no. Decent #s, needs a BIG Oct and a ring to help
    Schilling- possible. A weak group would help
    Pedro- yes
    Nomar- no

Ron >>

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
    Biggio---Good player--nothing special
    Sheffield -Don't walk in front of his swing. You could die!!
    Frank Thomas - My what if player. If he could have stayed healthy..............
    Glavine - Not on the first try
    Manny Ramirez - Bad attitude and ego won't get my vote!
    Thome - Need to get a category for DHer's in the HOF.
    Mussina - Sorry. Not in his lifetime!!
    Schilling - Bloody foot equals HOF. Standout guy on and off the field
    Pedro - Good quality pitcher--iffy
    Nomar - Another what if player if he could have stayed healthy.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    LOL at Bernie Williams, David Cone, and (cough) Jose Mesa being + 100 on the HOF Monitor. They may as well admit every baseball player who ever played if they let them in.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bagwell was nothing more than Dave Kingman with a funny stance >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I am somewhat amused by those of you who state what Frank Thomas needs to do to reach the Hall of Fame. I will be charitable and assume that you are too young to remember what a dominating force he was in the 90s.

His OBP is 14th all time, his slugging % is 16th and his OPS is 11th. Let's add in 23rd in HRs. 33rd in RBIs, and two MVPs. The man is a first ballot, inner circle, no doubt HOFer if he never plays again.

<< <i>LOL at Bernie Williams, David Cone, and (cough) Jose Mesa being + 100 on the HOF Monitor. They may as well admit every baseball player who ever played if they let them in.

Neither Bernie nor Cone would be anything close to the worst player in the hall. I personally consider them to be just outside the HOF. I asked baseball-reference.com to check Mesa-I think they made a mistake. I computed it manually and obtained a much smaller #.

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Biggio - yes. 3000 hits will make the writers take notice, and he should get there this year.
    Sheffield - maybe. He has been implicated in the BALCO steroid scandal. I don't know how that will play out in voting.
    Frank Thomas - probably. One more good season should do it.
    Glavine - yes.
    Manny Ramirez - yes.
    Thome - he'll need Killebrew-like numbers.
    Mussina - needs a couple more good seasons.
    Schilling - needs a couple more good seasons.
    Pedro - yes. He's the closest thing to Koufax.
    Nomar - not without a massive turnaround.
    Smoltz is a likely at this point.
    Chipper Jones needs a couple more good seasons.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Biggio---Good player--nothing special
    Frank Thomas - My what if player. If he could have stayed healthy..............
    Glavine - Not on the first try
    Manny Ramirez - Bad attitude and ego won't get my vote!
    Thome - Need to get a category for DHer's in the HOF.
    Mussina - Sorry. Not in his lifetime!!
    Schilling - Bloody foot equals HOF. Standout guy on and off the field
    Nomar - Another what if player if he could have stayed healthy. >>

You have Schilling in and Pedro possibly out? Please explain your reasoning...

<< <i>You can do better than some Abe Lincoln quote.

My own thought is Bagwell was good, great at times, but not a HOF >>

You are no better at history that you are at baseball. I would tell you the source of the quote, but you obviously need practice doing research.

You think Thome should be in the hall-compare Bagwell's numbers to Thome's
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Great topic!

Off your list, I would put Glavine, Pedro, Schilling and Manny in.

If Nomar had not been hurt as much as he has been, I think he would have incredible stats and be a shoo in.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Actually Bagwell is closer to these guys than Kingman.

Frank Thomas (897)
    Gary Sheffield (895)
    Fred McGriff (865)
    Willie Stargell (844) *
    Andres Galarraga (843)
    Ken Griffey (834)
    Orlando Cepeda (827) *
    Mickey Mantle (818) *
    Willie McCovey (813) *
    Duke Snider (810) *

I would say he would be a good candidate but with the proliferation of stats in his era he does not stand out enough to be a HOF. I give him a 50% chance at best.

Schilling on the other hand, I don't see at all. Look at players comparable to him at the same age. Seven of his first nine seasons were a bust. He turned it on mid career and had one great world series. If he has 3 more good seasons and gets close to 250 wins I can go see him in the HOF but if he stopped today, no way.

Kevin Brown (923)
    Orel Hershiser (887)
    David Cone (886)
    Freddie Fitzsimmons (878)
    Lew Burdette (877)
    John Smoltz (875)
    Charley Root (866)
    Luis Tiant (861)
    John Candelaria (854)
    David Wells (852)

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Not that i'm that impressed by wins (how much luck is involved?? like Ripken's $3bill streak?), but any pitcher nowadays who can stick around long enough to amass 300, should go in with honors....... with 5 pitcher rotations, and managers creaming to get to their closers, it's an ESPN highlight itself for a pitcher to even finish a game!!! Anyone remember that 3-pitcher no-hitter????
  • Mark...to be frank Lincoln used a quote very similar to Mark Twains, as did Samuel Johnson, it's also a well known Russian proverb.

Bagwell needed to play a few more years and have some post season hightlights

<< <i>Mark...to be frank Lincoln used a quote very similar to Mark Twains, as did Samuel Johnson, it's also a well known Russian proverb.

Bagwell needed to play a few more years and have some post season hightlights >>

*************************************************************************************

If I were a betting man, I would bet that he gets in. Of course we both know that just because you are in does not mean you deserve to be. Anyway, I would vote for him.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What about Ron Fairly?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Hey Carew image

Biggio---Good player--nothing special (really, nothing special?)
    Frank Thomas - My what if player. If he could have stayed healthy..............(what if?? do you remember the 90's?
    Glavine - Not on the first try (going to be a 300 game winner and a dominant pitcher for nearly 20 years?)
    Manny Ramirez - Bad attitude and ego won't get my vote! (guess what you dont vote, his career numbers are going to monstrous)
    Thome - Need to get a category for DHer's in the HOF. (Thome is a DH now, but played 3b an 1b for most of his career)
    Mussina - Sorry. Not in his lifetime!! (borderline)
    Schilling - Bloody foot equals HOF. Standout guy on and off the field (this is the ONE guy you pick? lame)
    Nomar - Another what if player if he could have stayed healthy. (a few great seasons dont equal the hall of fame)