Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bought a 1993 Topps Refractor...

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason why you posted the pic 4 times?

You like what you see, eh?

Not that there's anything wrong with that......
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a reason why you posted the pic 4 times?

You like what you see, eh?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...... >>

No Stown, there IS something wrong with that.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    lookin at the pic actually gets consecutively funnier.. Eventhough its the same thing.
  • Options

<< <i>lookin at the pic actually gets consecutively funnier.. Eventhough its the same thing. >>

Right.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    The great thing about these guys is that they are so interchangeable..Like LEGOS!!

You all love those don't you.

"Look, Momma, I made them twins and twiplets and fourpletses!!

• Options

<< <i>The great thing about these guys is that they are so interchangeable..Like LEGOS!!

You all love those don't you.

"Look, Momma, I made them twins and twiplets and fourplets!!

image >>

now they are all self portraits
  • Options
    of yo momma
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, I don't wanna get everybody in an uproar, but I just busted 10 cases of 1993 Finest and every box had a McGwire refractor. So I did what any sane-minded individual would do and I melted them all down and built a "Super Refractor" of McGwire that measures 6 feet by 10 feet. Here's my friend Oscar standing in front of it:

Lee >>

ROFL...classic!

ps.....is that picture with the "stripe shirt boys" PAndrews or J Garci's homies?
  • Options
    I think he might be one of those people that gets ridiculed a lot, only he pretends not to hear it so he acts like no one is making fun of him.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>I think he might be one of those people that gets ridiculed a lot, only he pretends not to hear it so he acts like no one is making fun of him.

Lee >>

Just like he redirects posts to talk about refractors, then he tries to redirect posts poking fun at him.
  • Options
    Yeah I poke fun at HIM all the time.

hmmmmmm...

• Options
    Wow
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah I poke HIM all the time.

hmmmmmm... >>

Yeah, way too much info.
  • Options
    Why not use your own head, here ya go image

taken from his wesite

Who I blog for
    I blog mainly for myself. I want to record my opinions and findings here for a future read. That, in turn, helps inform other people via links to the post or through search results. I have no interest in being an A-List blogger or getting a lot of hits, if anything I am interested in knowing if what I have to say is of some use to others. The only time I am concerned with hits is if I need to listen to how my thoughts have been perceived and to make sure my bandwidth is under control.

How I blog
    I try to blog as honestly and transparently as I can. If there is something I don’t like, I’ll express it. Likewise, if there is something I do enjoy, I’ll let people know. Either way I’ll express myself as I see fit, I can’t care if someone’s feelings are hurt, don’t like the language I use or if readers think I am kissing ass.

I want to be boring. I have no problem with being boring as long as I am informative. I would rather be boring and informative than funny or entertaining and have nothing of substance to say. I now aim to keep my posts dry and dispassionate but as informative possible. Being informative is providing others with the 3 types of information: information that should know, need to know, or want to know. So that is what I hope to be doing.
  • Options
    For the record, I'd rather my "blogging" to be funny and entertaining
  • Options
    I wish I looked like that, especially the whole goatee thing. I can't grow that much hair there or down there for that matter. Maybe I should save more of my "manliness'...if you know what I mean.

but it's impossible to be master of your domain...like you have said before.image
  • Options
    my name is not julio,

in case you wanted to know that you stalked the wrong guy. image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish I looked like that, especially the whole goatee thing. I can't grow that much hair there or down there for that matter >>

Is this for real or did I stumble into the twilight zone??
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Matt , Its the outer limits. We go from 1993 topps refractor to nightmare on gay street. Only in the outer limits.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i> We go from 1993 topps refractor to nightmare on gay street. Only in the outer limits. >>

HAHAHHAHAH That gets a vote for Statement Of the Year. I literally laughed out loud. Thanks for brightening up my day.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On cornering the market...

I'm going down memory lane - does anyone remember the hubris created over the accumulation of a higher end auto version of this guy?

Hint: after the battle - I was affraid to go near the ocean.

Mike
  • Options
    Ah, jay, you mean my rapping and photoshopping didn't make you laugh. I am really depressed now.
  • Options
    No. You're not funny. I know funny, and "You so corny".
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah, jay, you mean my rapping and photoshopping didn't make you laugh. I am really depressed now >>

Are you currently taking any prescription medication?
  • Options
    I was more reminded of Bruno Kirby in Good Morning Vietnam than Robin Williams. Sorry pal. Whats up with the Colla Promo making an unscheduled appearance?
  • Options
    I'm sorry this may be off the subject....

But I wanted to let you know that I'm trying to corner the 1987 Topps Mark McGwire market.

I currently have 3...

or roughly .0000000000000000012% of the market.

SOON THEY WILL ALL BE MINE!!!!!

AND YOU WILL ALL PAY!!!!!
    Trying to complete 1960, '61 and '68 Topps baseball sets...raw
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    jgarci11
    I dont know what else to say except you are one strange dude.
    Oh...maybe one other thing...
    You will NEVER get my McGwire refractors. I will only sell them to those who want them for their COLLECTIONS.
    Carry on....
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ah, jay, you mean my rapping and photoshopping didn't make you laugh. I am really depressed now >>

Are you currently taking any prescription medication? >>

I think he can honestly answer "No". Now if you asked if he had been prescribed anything that he wasn't taking . . . .

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ps.....is that picture with the "stripe shirt boys" PAndrews or J Garci's homies? >>

dems mah homies..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Hey, I have the promo version of that guy!

I got to be free...

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On cornering the market...

I'm going down memory lane - does anyone remember the hubris created over the accumulation of a higher end auto version of this guy?

Hint: after the battle - I was affraid to go near the ocean.

image >>

That name reminds me of this guy:

• Options

<< <i>I was more reminded of Bruno Kirby in Good Morning Vietnam than Robin Williams. Sorry pal. Whats up with the Colla Promo making an unscheduled appearance? >>

...and now we are going to hear from "frenchy" image
  • Options
    Yeah we have already, annoyingly, heard from you. As expected.

carry on...

PS. nice bid Yankee, but it won't hold up. I mean, $77, really?

• Options
    This thread begs for more cowbell -

Baby take my hand,
    Don't buy the refractor image

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    well, lets just say that you better set your snipe real high. And glad to see you are stalking my ebay bids.
  • Options
    Actually, I see how your theory works! Wow! A Mac refractor comes up and you are going to pay MORE for it! Bwaahahahahahaha!!!
  • Options
    SnipeThat

Snipe that/
    All on the Floor/
    Snipe that/
    Give me some more/
    Snipe that/
    'til you get sore/
    Snipe that/
    OH/
    OH/
    OH/
    OH/
    OH!
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    isnt it easier to cut to the chase and ask the seller how much he wants for a 50 count or a 100 count? after all, 1993 refractors are the only product that deals ever has. nothing else at all. so it seems obvious to me that there are huge quantites available. otherwise he would be like other dealers and have other items as well, i.e. different years, different brands, diff sports. makes sense to me. obviously a neverending supply.
  • Options
    I just need More!! Like this one!!

• Options
    it will be nice when they add the mini refractors to the resigtry, huh? so its easier to grade the backdoored ones.
  • Options
    If he has more than more power to him. You should realize though that over the YEARS, their have been alot auctions and buying say 6 or 7 refractors of one player is not hard. After all I didn't start too long ago and I already have 30! Soon 31!

The fact is, that no matter how hard people say that there are more than 241, no one can prove it!! Eventually, people will give up and the original production number, 241, will still be retained in the memories of FUTURE collectors!
  • Options
    I want a mini Refractor!! Where can I get one At!! Anyone have a side buy side scan of one!!
  • Options
    Are you now saying that people will give up and then not give a crap about them? Make up your mind! Will you buy them all and corner the market or will people lose interest first and you will have lost your shirt???
  • Options
    No, People in the future won't know that there could be more than 241 made because nothing is proven. The Official sources like PSA and Beckett will still continue to emphasize the 241 number, therefore, the prices of any refractors, inserted or Backdoored, will STILL hold their value!!

Then Once I grade all of my shizz, they will be totally certified as Legit!!
  • Options
    unfortunately a beautiful issue has been trashed with all the stolen cards out on the market. topps did a great job on the refractors in 1993 just to have thousands stolen. its a real shame. without that huge black eye, the issue had great promise.
  • Options

<< <i>No, People in the future won't know that there could be more than 241 made because nothing is proven. The Official sources like PSA and Beckett will still continue to emphasize the 241 number, therefore, the prices of any refractors, inserted or Backdoored, will STILL hold their value!! >>

But dont people ALREADY know there are more than 241? LOL Really, if you are into collecting 1993 refractors, Im sure you already know this...AND those coming in will learn very quickly.
  • Options
    How, when, who, and where were they stolen. Even more important, how can we tell a stolen refractor from a real one??

How can PSA??

Also, people coming into the hobby follow what Beckett and PSA say to a tee!

Maybe Beckett Magazine should do some in depth investigative reporting. yeah right.

Lastly, even if there are more than 241, if it is GRADED bY PSA, it is DEEMED as Legitimate! and accorded the graded refractor price found in Beckett magazine.
  • Options
    Well, when you finally get 242 in your possession, Topps will surely have you arrested for dealing in stolen property.
  • Options
    Then I'll be Famous!! I'm almost a sixth of the way there!!