Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever seen a 170 year old naturally white coin?

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
A newp from Long Beach!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH my, drrooool, sloooobbbbberrrr!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    beautiful!!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY nice. image

Is this a set up?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Too bad its got a crack. Better send it to me so you won't have to keep being reminded of it..... image
  • Options
    Wow!! Ordinarily I'd say no--but since it's your's, I must say--it's a beaut!

Edit--any idea where it has been all these years? Or, as some would say--what's a nice girl like that doing in a place like this?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    Wow, very nice!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Wow ... that doesn't happen to have a slight rub somewhere making it AU58 and thus perfect for my type set does it??? No??? I thought not image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That be one really nice coin.image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin, TDN! I can see the die crack circling half of the reverse! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Is that a die clash or some cracks at the top of the wing?
  • Options
    Very nice TDN. Do tell - who's plastic is she in and what are they calling her?
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice TDN. Do tell - who's plastic is she in and what are they calling her? >>

Doesn't really matter - I couldn't put the coin down. Must have picked it up a dozen times. That's what really counts!

[ok, ok - NGC MS67]
  • Options
    Pretty
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Damned, she's pretty ... as a modern. image Well, she just LOOKS like a modern. image OK, she just looks like she did when she WAS modern. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Wow, very nice. Nice color and it is MS (right?)

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice 66?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally awesome .. I wonder what the provenance might be... good acquisition.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice 1837. There appears to be some color from the photos, but probably as white as an original coin can come. I recall Delaware Valley having 3 of these in dipped out but blazing MS66 a few years back. They've been making the rounds. If they were more natural looking they'd find permanent homes. I don't think there is any coin 170 yrs old naturally white. 80-90% white is possible.

Drat......I could have used that one for my set as well!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The luster jumps out on that one!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A newp from Long Beach!

image >>

I guess it's OK for a 170 year old coin. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spectacular. Now get that darn tarnish off of it.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Wow ... that doesn't happen to have a slight rub somewhere making it AU58 and thus perfect for my type set does it??? No??? I thought not image >>

C'mon Fletch. Make up your damn dim mind. Is it crusty that you want or is it rub? Don't you already have the rub in your palms?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanna trade? I could offer you a 1991 Ford Explorer, runs good.

Aw shucks. I didn't think so.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    hmmm
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So there are some virgins out there, huh ? image
    Are those slight scuff marks on the obverse rim face at 6 o'clock ?
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Cool
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Looks nice

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Oh come on- that things been dipped!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Beautiful. wonder how it managed to escape toning?
    Any idea how long that dealer had it Laura, or where?
    Don
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Excellent coin.An example of buying the coin,not the plastic.Kudos to TDN.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWEET! image

<< <i>Ever seen a 170 year old naturally white coin? >>

Close. How 'bout 151 years old, for sixty bucks?

(1856 German States/Bavaria 1-kreuzer, NGC MS66).

imageimageimage

At least sixty bucks is what I'm peddling it for- I just paid fifty. Hot new purchase, in my hand right now. Pretty little gem, half dime sized.

Krause 4th edition price for a generic BU is only 24 bucks, but I had no trouble throwing Krause out the window for something like this. 151 years old, silver, pop 4 with none higher, old NGC fattie slab, booming luster... behold the beauty of the Darkside! More bang for the buck!

(Of course that RE Bust half has more bang, period, but I like my little Darkside newp.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's definately rare to find an original white coin-but lightining DOES strike and you can find them. >>

Yes, that is the truth and I can vouch for it. I've bought many an original white coin for my collection.

And the amazing thing is - I'm not a millionaire. image

The US Mint doesn't seem to mind though. They still sell me anything I want. image

• Options
    That is one fantastic coin! Nice find TDN.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful.......image
    Becky
  • Options
    A mindblowing and amazing coin to have survived in impeccable condition for a 170 years. image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Very attractive, congrats!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin TDN.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting! I like that one for sure. image I like the design too, simple and clean.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who is not totally convinced that this coin is 100% original? How can a silver coin be 170 years old and not develop some toning? Don't forget that over most of this time paper envelopes were state of the art for coin storage. Very nice coin, by the way. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous coin. I have seen only a few bust halves I thought were original white, and both had milky/frosty centers with russet edge toning. I thought those were possibly white from storage between other coins , probably stacked in roll fashion.

I have this near- white 1795 flowing hair half dime PCGS MS63 that came from a small hoard of nearly white coins brought back from Great Britain, I believe it to be original but am not sure how it stayed nearly white. image
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    I had an BU 1876 Trade Dollar that came out of a very old collection that I was liquidating. The coin was naturally blast white and had the sharpest strike you will ever see. The luster was abolutely stunning. Sent it out to NGC and it came back MS66, sold it on heritage shortly after.
  • Options

<< <i>You think you bought it huh? image

This used to be the personal coin of one of the most successful and sharpest dealers ever-20 years ago!

Hard to believe, but this coin was NEVER dipped. It is called "original white". >>

I could be mistaken, but I believe this was a part of John Albanese' personal collection at one time. Seems odd to me that Laura couldn't bring herself to mention the dealer's name. Whassupwidat?

• Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    That is a fantastic breathtaking coin that I would love to see cartwheel in person, Thanks for sharing Bruce!image
  • Options
    Gorgeous.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

It does seem hard to believe that a 170 year old coin could remain so pristine and natuarally white.

Fantastic coin. Thanks for sharing it.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file