SanFrancisco Commemorative arrived

Just received my proof SanFrancisco $5.00 gold this morning. Very niceimage

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pics? image
  • Options
    jrscoinjrscoin Posts: 227 ✭✭
    Just received mine as well. However I found my coin had came out of its capsule during shipping and was floating around in the package. This will be exchanged for another.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Really, they're shipping already? (And where are the pics?!) I'm traveling this week; maybe there'll be a nice surprise for me when I get home...
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, I hadn't been watching these closely as I was keeping my eye on the SAE shipments.

My PROOF gold shipped this morning and the Unc gold is instock and ready to go. Silver coins are still back ordered.

• Options

<< <i>My PROOF gold shipped this morning and the Unc gold is instock and ready to go. Silver coins are still back ordered. >>

My order also shows that the proof shipped this morning.
    The $5 unc. shows expected to ship on 10/20/2006.

The two silver dollars show expected to ship on 12/15/2006.

Can we get the "First Strike" designation on these? imageimage
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just received mine as well. However I found my coin had came out of its capsule during shipping and was floating around in the package. This will be exchanged for another. >>

I just received my two silver eagle anniversary sets, and the coins were loose in the box as well. Fortunately the space in the box was such that the coins could not go on top of each other, and the capsules did not open. As a result the coins and the capsules were undamaged. In all the years that I’ve been ordering from the mint this is the first time that I have seen coins so haphazardly placed in the boxes.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Pics anyone?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    I wanna see a pic
  • Options
    Just received mine too,but it will be going back.Mine has a few hits in the field with the eagle and you can see scrape marks on the shield. image
  • Options
    Here's a pic of the one I just received. Unfortunately, mine will be going back as well due to some hairline scratches on the obverse.

imageimage
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet reverse on that baby!
  • Options
    Also just rec'ed mine a few minutes ago.
    The coin was also out of the capsule laying in the box. But I can't c any damage.

When you send coins back to the mint for damage, How do you know the next shipment will be any better??????
    DONNYJF
  • Options
    Rayw,If your sending yours back too,i will probably get yours in return and you will get mine.image
  • Options
    I like the detail in the brickwork on the obverse. Lets see an uncirculated version!
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Nice pictures rayw.
  • Options
    rayw, you should do the marketing for the mint, your pictures are far better.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a pic of the one I just received. Unfortunately, mine will be going back as well due to some hairline scratches on the obverse.
    >>

Wow, that's real pretty.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    what a great little coin !

GJ MINT ! image
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Much nicer than I expected. Considerable improvement over the Capitol Visitor Center.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Now that I've seen the pic of the real deal, I want one.

What's the maximum mintage on the proof?
  • Options

This is a new Mint magic trick. Mine came out of its capsule but the capsule was closed. How did it do that? image
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    rayw, post more! You got awesome pic skillz!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a new Mint magic trick. Mine came out of its capsule but the capsule was closed. How did it do that? image >>

Beam me aboard, Scotty!image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I just noticed today is the last day for the pre-issue price of $230.
    After 5 PM today the price goes up to $255. The deadline applies
    to the silver versions as well.
  • Options
    My arrived a few hours ago, capsule was closed, coin floating in box.

Dagnabit !!!

Herb

Edited for spelling...image
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    My proof arrived this morning as well.
    The coin was out of it's capsule, and jammed between the
    ribbon and upper liner. Wife sez no damage. I'm afraid to look.

Added: I called to complain. Informed "Donna" of arrival condition.
    So noted. Then what?

I did, finally, look at it. No apparent damage. I will keep it. Whew!
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping for a really high relief of the Mint. That would have been really cool and that view of that building would make it perfect.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now that I've seen the pic of the real deal, I want one.

What's the maximum mintage on the proof? >>

The maximum mintage for Unc and Proof combined is 100,000. Thus far, the Mint has sold slightly more than 50K of both Unc and Proof $5 gold.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a new Mint magic trick. Mine came out of its capsule but the capsule was closed. How did it do that? image >>

You gotta be kidding me!
    1st the ASE's and now these.

I hope everyone will call them and then return all of thier items.

Rookie Joe

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

You gotta be kidding me!
    1st the ASE's and now these.

I hope everyone will call them and then return all of thier items.

Rookie Joe >>

Mine are out and are going back. I'll wait for my Unc to get here, maybe tomorrow, probably have to send that back too.

The way it happens is the bottom part of the capsule sticks real nice in the holder, but the top of the capsule is not tight enough, thus the top comes off, the coin and top move around, the top finds its way back to the bottom of the capsule.

This is kind of small. I'm used the the Buffalo and Anniv. Gold, the big 1 ouncers !!

Very nice coin though.

• Options

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
    Prices have gone up for both $5 coins at the Mint.

I am still waiting for the final November mintage figures. Thus far, 35K of proof and 15K+ of Unc coins have been sold. If the Unc $5's mintage stays below 20K by Dec. 1st, I will place my order. YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO image
  • Options
    I ordered the proof just before the deadline. Already "in stock and reserved".
  • Options

<< <i>Rayw,If your sending yours back too,i will probably get yours in return and you will get mine.image >>

I wouldn't be surprised and it probably wouldn't be the first time. I think a few years back, someone received a replacement proof set that was a previous return. The defects were circled on the case using a sharpie but the mint didn't even bother to check and shipped it right back out again. image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    So that's what is sitting on my desk. I thought the box was too small to be a couple of ASE Anniv Sets.
  • Options
    I got mine today too.
    It was out of the capsule as well.
    The Mint needs to fire their coin capsule sealer!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Rayw,If your sending yours back too,i will probably get yours in return and you will get mine.image >>

I wouldn't be surprised and it probably wouldn't be the first time. I think a few years back, someone received a replacement proof set that was a previous return. The defects were circled on the case using a sharpie but the mint didn't even bother to check and shipped it right back out again. image >>

Well, I feel sorry for the person who gets my returns, they fell out of the box and on the table then I picked them up and put them in the case, loose, just like I got them, sealed it and it's ready to be sent back to the Mint. Finger prints, dirt, dust, etc, are on these coins.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Why the heck doesnt the mint get better packing? They charge more than enough for this stuff, they should at least pack it properly!

AJ
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>I am still waiting for the final November mintage figures >>

You may want to order now! I just ordered both Proof & Uncirc.
    The Proof shows "In Stock & Reserved" but the Uncirc shows
    BACKORDERED 12/15/06. image

• Options
    Why the heck doesnt the mint get better packing? They charge more than enough for this stuff, they should at least pack it properly!

One word- outsourcing

The only lady that was really helpful and had the power to do anything during my recent orders was a government Mint employee, and she told me that her and her department were all getting the axe over the next couple of months and a new outsourced center was opening in Texas, mostly staffed by people with green cards.

She said that Congress and the Adminstration have agressively outsourced and privatized almost all aspects of the Mint outside of the actual internal Mint staff that does the pressing of the coins and associated management. She said that is has never been worse since this happened because these private companies that take over are only going for maximum bucks, leading them to hire unqualified, poorly trained, and hard to undertstand employees.

I'm a fan of free enterprise but not when it comes to government services like the Mint. I have gotten several damaged packages from the Mint in the last 2 years and I blame Congress for caving in to lobbyists who I'm sure took them on a few "vacations" in order to "persuade" them to privatize the US Mint. This may also explain the Mint's recent lack of integrity regarding the 2-piece gold sets and the release afterwards of the same coins as singles.

The only way to solve this is to find whether your Congressional representative voted to privatize at some point, and if you don't like all of this terrible Mint service then throw them out next election, regardless of their party. Otherwise, pretty soon the Mint will be like a Sprint Cellular Store, aweful!

WF
  • Options
    THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS! Could this possibly mean that there will be more damaged
    coins than good ones after final production? I know that if mine arrives NOT
    inside its capsule, it will go back for replacement. BOTTOM LINE!

I refuse to pay for - or sacrifice - the quality of a commem coin like this for
    mishandled and poor packaging standards and practices by "employees"
    who care NOTHING about how they are packaged or shipped! I can't take
    that chance of getting a coin with difficult to detect hairlines or damage. image

I expect the Mint will be getting more returns than what buyers might actually
    keep at this point. Might it possibly be cause for a major meltdown? image
  • Options
    FYI................

It was indicated to me by the CS Rep who took my order last night for the Gold SF Commems
    that the SF Mint does NOT currently have a store for selling souvenirs or coins to people who visit
    the SF Mint. So the SF Commems are not available there for sale. She also indicated that the SF Mint
    might possibly be buying some of the gold SF Commems from the US Mint at current prices (in the event their value goes up)
    to offer as gifts and incentives to donors!

If this is true, it makes me wonder what effect this may have on collecting these Commems!?

EDITED TO ADD......Ordered both Proof & Uncirc last night! Mint website now removed "CANCEL" option
    for both! Looks lilke both the proof & uncirc will be shipping tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they
    will arrive IN THEIR CAPSULES!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file