Home U.S. Coin Forum

POLL: should PCGS and the other TPG's go to a 100-point grading system?

Since PCGS will be discussing this at the panel discussion mentioned in Fatman's thread, they should know the opinions of forum members. Since the grading system was in place when they came into existence, I do not believe it is their province to change it. They of course can adopt whatever business model they choose. But the question that must be asked is, is it good for numismatics as a whole?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    what would cause any company, whether a lawnmower manufacturer or a coin shop, to change the way that they do things?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote my preference as #1, but I do not feel strongly enough about it personally. There are certainly pros and cons for the collector, and one's collecting habits and practices dictate whether the change is positive, negative, neutral, or even a non-issue. There will no doubt be unintended consequences, perhaps some that we have not yet considered. Of the problems and issues confronting numismatics, this is not a hot button issue for me, but I do understand the consternation felt by fellow collectors.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    The current system is flawed, but a 100 point system would be even worse. I think we should stick with the devil that we know.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    This is a free country so I voted the #4 image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to know what is so great and so holly about a 100 point system. I have no idea why so many of you want waste your money on have your coins re-holdered for the sake of new system that adds no value. I have no idea why you want to add confusion for new comers. This 100 point idea is the pits.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Confusion is the Holy Grail of the Coin Market.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Think back to high school science class. Remember precision vs. accuracy? Remember resolution?

Take your basic 12 inch ruler. Can you consistenly measure something to 4 decimal places? I didn't think so.

Coin grading is no different. The crackout biz and all the stories we hear about resubmissions (58, 62, 63, no grade, 62, 58, etc.) PROVES that coin grading is imprecise. Does precision increase by expanding the scale? NO! It further DECREASES!

It makes no sense to change the scale to 100 pts, unless you're a TPG and simply want to stimulate resubmissions to generate more income.
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    No, not unless PCGS is going to re-grade and re-slab all existing PCGS slabs at thier cost; including all shipping and handeling fees for sending the coins in and returning the reslabbed coins to the owner.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should have been based on a 100 point scale to begin with. It could work if the grading increments were held to either 2 1/2 points or five points-i.e.-MS70; MS72.5; MS75 etc. I'm sure that will never happen, tho. The minimum Mint state grade should be MS70-like a pass (MS70=MS) or fail (less than MS70=circulated) on a test. In spite of the confusion and/or abuse, I am in favor of such a scale.

<< <i>It should have been based on a 100 point scale to begin with. It could work if the grading increments were held to either 2 1/2 points or five points-i.e.-MS70; MS72.5; MS75 etc. I'm sure that will never happen, tho. The minimum Mint state grade should be MS70-like a pass (MS70=MS) or fail (less than MS70=circulated) on a test. In spite of the confusion and/or abuse, I am in favor of such a scale. >>

Your post has confused me already in just three sentences. image

The 70 point scale started to be used on ALL U.S. coins in the mid 1970s. By the time third party grading came on line it was well established.

To me the 100 point scale falls in the same category marketed men classify funerals. It’s an “unwanted good.” image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    I've been collecting since 1961 and well remember the time when no numerical scale was used at all. What I'm saying is the 70 point scale never should have been adopted at all, not just by the slabbing companies. I know it's been used forever for large cents, and it should have been unique to that series only.
    Yea, well I've been colledting coins since 1959, and I have no interest in spending several thousand dollars to get all of my coins re-holdered so that they will be marketable.

This is a very bad idea, and if PCGS wants to shoot itself in the foot, it can go for it.
    The Sheldon scale was originally meant for Large cents only. It should have stayed that way IMO.
    And what is so wonderful about a 100 point scale?

When your opinions cost collectors thousands of dollars, don't expect them to pat you on the back.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    While I have no interest in resubmitting my 150+ slabs for such a conversion, I would welcome a 100-point grading system. The current system is very confusing for a newbee and has little logic.

I wonder what Dr. Sheldon would think.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I bet NGC and ANACS would love to see PCGS adopt this.
    Everything is confusing to new collectors. Learning the parameters of the Sheldon scale (60 to 70 = Mint State etc.) and putting on the decimal system won't make it any easier to learn.

If this goes through you will not immune. You will either have to spend money or reholdering your collection or get lower prices for it when the time comes to sell.

<< <i>You will either have to spend money or reholdering your collection or get lower prices for it when the time comes to sell. >>

Of course the flip side is that your PQ coins will now grade higher relative to the dogs at the same grade. A premium quality MS65 may translate to an MS91, while the other guys low-end MS65 translates to an MS90 or MS89. Thus one could actually profit from such a conversion if they've put together a high-end collection for the respective grades.

If it comes to 20+ MS grades, you are talking about re-grading the entire collection and not just reholdering. Then I'm looking at $12,000 + re-slabbing bill.

No I find nothing appealing about your upgrade argument. We've got 11 Mint State grades now, and you can get different grades each time you submit the same coin. 20+ MS grades are only going to make the situation worse.

<< <i>We've got 11 Mint State grades now, and you can get different grades each time you submit the same coin. >>

Bill, I'm not trying to pick a fight so please don't read any "tone" in my arguement. However, if you're going to state "you can get different grades each time you submit the same coin" then why bother with the submission in the first place?
    Did I say anything about a pat on the back? I'm just offering an opinion-isn't that one of the purposes of this forum?
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    The current system is OK and a change just for TPG money is no good but I would like a better grading methodology.

<< <i>

<< <i>We've got 11 Mint State grades now, and you can get different grades each time you submit the same coin. >>

Bill, I'm not trying to pick a fight so please don't read any "tone" in my arguement. However, if you're going to state "you can get different grades each time you submit the same coin" then why bother with the submission in the first place? >>

You have got to submit expensive coins for grading because you can't sell them for decent prices if they are raw. That's the way it works today. If an expensive coin is offered raw at a bourse or if it is in an off-brand holder, there is usually something wrong with it. That's what the situation has come to.
  • This is a bad idea. One for which I see no compelling arguement.

If the name of Dr. Sheldon is so offensive to some, simply change the name of the current system to the "Standardized 70 Point System" and leave well enough alone.

Personally, I am able to separate the concept of the system from the man.

Thomas Edison cheated others and was a very repulsive individual, but I'm not offended when I turn on the lights. Sheesh!!
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    No matter how many threads we get on this, I hope you all will also vote throughout the day so we have something meaningful for DH to look atimage

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

So it's noon here, and the no votes have held at about 75% throughout the morning. Let's see how the afternoon crowd feels, shall weimage

<< <i><<We've got 11 Mint State grades now, and you can get different grades each time you submit the same coin. >>

Bill, I'm not trying to pick a fight so please don't read any "tone" in my arguement. However, if you're going to state "you can get different grades each time you submit the same coin" then why bother with the submission in the first place? >>

You have got to submit expensive coins for grading because you can't sell them for decent prices if they are raw. That's the way it works today. If an expensive coin is offered raw at a bourse or if it is in an off-brand holder, there is usually something wrong with it. That's what the situation has come to. >>

I'll agree with you in this respect. The market is such that any coin NOT in a respected TPG can't sell for a respectable price. Still, I believe TPG's do show some general consistency or else the market place would never have accepted them.

• << <i>Of course the flip side is that your PQ coins will now grade higher relative to the dogs at the same grade. A premium quality MS65 may translate to an MS91, while the other guys low-end MS65 translates to an MS90 or MS89. Thus one could actually profit from such a conversion if they've put together a high-end collection for the respective grades. >>

Exactly! And since most all of the slabs I hold on to are PQ for the grade, I am all for it!

Edit: And I can not believe the "chicken-little attitude" (the sky is falling!) most have taken on this subject.
    The topic was simply thrown out there for discussion. Yet most of the posts have a "..it's just a matter of time b4 the TPG services do us this great disservice." attitude.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Whats the diff between strike of 7 out of 10 and strike of 8 out of 10?
    They holder market acceptable cleaned coins. So a cleaned coin gets a 1 out of 10 for original surfaces?
    What is the difference between a 1 for original surfaces and a body bag?

Sounds way shady if ya ask me. It also sounds like someone wants to make a system for thier personal use.

PURPLE!

<< <i>And I can not believe the "chicken-little attitude" (the sky is falling!) most have taken on this subject. >>

I'll admit, I'm also surprised at the emotion this subject has evoked in many forum members.

Perhaps I'm not taking it seriously enough.

Or perhaps I don't believe it will actually happen.

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    I won't happen. Can you imagine the stress level of the graders??? Can you imagine the flak the dealers would get if their ms68s came back in 72 holders???
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS contemplating changing the grading scale from 70 points to 100 is more about marketing than an evolutionary step forward for numismatics. This topic of a 100 point grading scale is not new. In fact the reason why I think it has crept on to the PCGS radar is because of the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) factor.

Whitman publishes the Red Book -- regarded by most as a staple of numismatics -- and a host of other numismatic literature. Whitman also owns Anacs. How can Whitman disrupt the current grading paradigm (and TPG market dominance, which Anacs currently doesn't have) thereby gaining a competitive advantage for Anacs? Simple -- Whitman changes the grading standard to a 100 point scale and Anacs adopts it. Whitman uses their publishing business to make the 100 point scale a reality, and positions Anacs as the "new" leader in a "new" era of numismatics. Mark my word, people will begin to adopt it, and if the other TPG's don't, they will simply begin to loose marketshare.

So, why is PCGS all of a suddent contemplating a 100 point grading scale? Simple -- in order not to get left standing at the plate watching a curve ball sneak in to the strike box, for strike 3, they are trying to get ahead of a slow curve so they can smack it out of the ballpark. In direct terms, PCGS has no choice but to think about a 100 point grade scale, and instead of reacting (which would probably be too late) they are looking to preempt!

<< <i>Perhaps I'm not taking it seriously enough. >>

No you are not. When I had my raw collection slabbed, it cost me as much as $125.00 per coin plus shipping to have it done. The reason was that once coins have a value beyond a certain amount you have to pay that to get work done. The desire for a quick turnover has nothing to do with it.

I went though the usual. I had coins that were graded correctly. I got some gifts. I got some undergrades. And I got some body bags, both deserved and undeserved.

Now after going though that and spending several thousand dollars to get my collection slabbed, we now have this threat that will make all of my slabs obsolete. I'll have to spend thousands of dollars to hold the value of my collection. The guarantee that the slabs would help to maintain the values of the my collection because the grades were certified to be correct will be null and void. PLUS all the coins that I have purchased in slabs will be obsolete. I’ll have to have them regraded too.

Can you understand why I am not happy with this? Most of my better coins are high grade circulated early pieces. There will be no “Mint State windfalls" for me. It will be mostly a downside all the way.

<< <i>Or perhaps I don't believe it will actually happen. >>

There is an excellent chance that it is going to happen. David Hall would not be pushing it at his little dinners that he has with collectors if this were not a real threat. He wants to stuff this down our throats so that he can increase his profits. It's just that simple. And despite the fact that 75% of the respondents to the current poll oppose this, he'll probably do it anyway. And if he does do it, he will show a total lack of respect for many of the people who have made his business a success through the years. And he will have also broken trust with the collectors who depended upon the integrity of his product.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO there are too many grading inconsistencies using the 70 point scale. A 100 point scale will only make it worse. If PCGS adopts a 100 point scale, I will no longer buy PCGS coins. If NGC and PCGS adopt the 100 point system, I will leave the hobby.

I believe such a proposed change is merely a marketing tool, as the powers that be apparently think that virtually all of the classic coins worth grading have already been slabbed.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
    100 votes cast so far, and the 75% against is holding up.

I wonder how collectors and dealers felt about the idea of TPG's before NGC and PCGS came around?

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭
    NO!

TorinoCobra71

• appears just a ruse to fatten their pockets. They want better grading, get better graders. anyone buying coins right now and not knowing which way this crap will go, may come out big losers
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wrote this in another thread and I think it needs to be said again. Back when ANACS began Tom Delory suggested a 100 point scale and it pretty much fell on deaf ears. The concept is good but the opportunity has passed. Period.

I think this is really much a-do about nothing. PCGS will talk about it-that's it! It's like when the Lutherans(sp?) and Catholics started a dialogue 15-20 years ago. There will be some warm fuzzy talk and they will agree to disagree on most things and then break for lunch.

Relax and have a image
    Don't drink, but I'll crack open a diet pepsi and hope you're right

-------------------------

• dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    As I stated in another thread - "The more I think about it, a 55 gallon drum of worms is about to be opened!image"
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
    Many issues have been raised that need to be considered.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something just occurred to me. HRH has probably already tested this on his professional grading team.

If they can maintain their batting average (world class graders agree 75% of the time) and split 10 MS grades into 20 at the same time, there would be a powerful argument to differentiate themselves in the market. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any way they could grade that consistently across 20 MS grades. They're good but they ain't that good.
    Using the 70 point system there are already holes throughout ie. there are MS53, MS55 and MS58 graded coins but no MS54, MS65 or MS57 graded coins why do they need to go to a 100 point sytem when they are already skipping numbers in the 70 point systemimage

Is this just hype to confuse people and a way to get more money through re-slabing feesimage

• << <i>Using the 70 point system there are already holes throughout ie. there are MS53, MS55 and MS58 graded coins but no MS54, MS65 or MS57 graded coins why do they need to go to a 100 point sytem when they are already skipping numbers in the 70 point systemimage
    >>

The problem is that they don't care about hardly any of the first 59 grades. image As you say, they don't use all those grades anyway so there is no pressing reason to change them. The real goal is to expand the 11 MS grades. That is where the 'money' is.

To me, decimal grading makes more sense if they want to go and expand the scale. It gives them an infinite scale between 60 and 70 to differentiate in without screwing anything else up. image There are 2 problems I can think of with that, however.

The first is psychological. They might be able to persuade people into thinking they can grade MS coins to 20 or 30 distinct levels by using MS78, MS82, etc. It would be a tougher sell if they tried to use 64.66 and 65.25. People would tend to think the latter is ridiculous. No one can grade to a fraction. image

The other problem is that there would be no pressing need to get your coins re-holdered. An MS65 would still be at least an MS65. It might be an MS65.25 or an MS65.66 but at worst it will still be MS65. It is the same scale. Not true if your MS65 now needs to be reholdered to an MS82 or MS83 on a whole new scale.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing...
    My Web Sites
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    There is no need to adjust to a 100 point grading system.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    There may not be if the 76% opposed speak up.

........point
    ........grading
    ........system
    redux

• Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    This is all a tempest in a teapot. No one really believes that we NEED this change, but if it comes there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but within a year it will all have blown over and be accepted in the maketplace. Just like when the 70 point scale was adopted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file