Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats the most expensive coin you've bought?

I hope these threads are interesting and not "bad" posts. I can't find anything really exciting to post about. But I was wondering what everyones most expensive coin was. Especially a gold coin if you've bought any.

The most expensive gold coin I bought was around $250, but I bought other coins with it and a few holders for a forum member here so it cost over 300 total

Comments

• Options
    MS67,41p Walker back in 89 for 2100.00
  • Options
    The most I have spent on one coin is around $35 dollars.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<----------------- 5K

None of my other coins even come close in price. I just had to have this one.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    20 bucks for an 1886 Morgan about 5 years ago before I got "re-interested" in coins
  • Options
    1889-CC Morgan dollar, bought it raw at XF price, it slabbed out at AU50. . .image
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    1916-D Merc in G6.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe around $1,400.

No, wait- that's about the most expensive I have sold.

The most expensive I've bought was right at about $1,000-1,100.

I did sell off a gold coin Registry set to finance the purchase of a $4,400 PR66 Seated half, once, from Pinnacle Rarities. They even sent it to me on approval, but I returned it. Not because there was anything wrong with the coin, which was gorgeous, but rather because I decided I didn't need to be collecting $4,400 coins. I took that money and started my small dealer operation instead.

I now have two of these:

As my inventory grows I will add one or two more, perhaps, but they ain't cheap new- I paid about $1,800 for each of mine after freight and so on.

I never regretted investing that $4,400 as I did. Now I have a small but varied dealer inventory instead of one pretty proof Seated half.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    LMV those dealys are so much fun.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    $750 or so

Zach
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe around $1,400.

I did sell off a gold coin Registry set to finance the purchase of a $4,400 PR66 Seated half, once, from Pinnacle Rarities. They even sent it to me on approval, but I returned it. Not because there was anything wrong with the coin, which was gorgeous, but rather because I decided I didn't need to be collecting $4,400 coins. I took that money and started my small dealer operation instead.

I now have two of these:

As my inventory grows I will add one or two more, perhaps, but they ain't cheap new- I paid about $1,800 for each of mine after freight and so on.

I never regretted investing that $4,400 as I did. Now I have a small but varied dealer inventory instead of one pretty proof Seated half. >>

What is that thing? Does it hold coins?
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<Whats the most expensive coin you've bought?>

My 1913 Liberty nickel wasn't very cheap.image

Seriously, my most expensive coin is probably this one:

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most expensive gold coin? 2001 one ounce proof gold eagle $640 I think

non gold? 1893-s Morgan PCGS vf35 $5450
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    1896-S Morgan PCGS MS-63 at slightly over Grey Sheet Ask.
  • Options
    $920 for a 2004 $100 platinum pcgs ms69.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    The responses in this thread coupled with many other discusions point out that coin collecting has a broad spectrum of participants and level of investment People are spending from several hundred dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars for their most expensive purchased piece. This breadth bodes well for the field as the lower end spenders often mature into more advanced purchasers.
    Trime
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $11,500 for an 1889-CC Morgan MS63DMPL. Yes, a while ago.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
  • Options
    Two 1793 Large cents at $1,000 each.
  • Options
    $2,650.00 for an MS-65 Monroe Commem.

Most expensive purchase was $3,900.00 for an MS-67 Columbia 3 coin set.
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Two 1793 Large cents at $1,000 each. >>

I'll bet they are worth a lot more now.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1936 proof 66 mercury dime..................image

• Options
    A nice AUish 16D Mercury. Long gone now image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe around $1,400.

I now have two of these:

I never regretted investing that $4,400 as I did. Now I have a small but varied dealer inventory instead of one pretty proof Seated half. >>

LM, This is probably my next move as well. Maybe in a few years. Do you have your own building? Rent? My biggest concern is security.

Edited to add: $1400.00 for an overgraded 1893-s Morgan but it looked good and I believed the prices were soon going to be out of my reach. I was so sure the prices were going up that I got a loan for it, so I ended up paying $1550 but I think its still liquid at that.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A VF 1916/16 Buffalo for $4950 back in 1995.
  • Options
    $650 for this beauty

"Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1911-D Indian Head Quarter Eagle (AU-55). It sells in the Nov Long Beach Heritage auction. I hate having so much money tied up in one coin. Proceeds will be happily spent at the FUN Show in January.
  • Options
    This would be the one

Herbimage
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <----- My icon is my most expensive coin to date. I've had some hella nice coins in the last 30+ years of collecting, but this is the most expensive (though probably not the most valuable in today's dollars). It was about $1600 in April of this year.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    My top 3:

1909 VDB Matte Proof Lincoln Cent - PCGS PR61RB. Bought for $1,955 in 2002 as an ANACS Pr63RB. Crossover to PCGS in 2002.

1914D Lincoln Cent - PCGS MS65RB. Bought for $1,550 in 1990 as a PCGS MS64RB. Removed from holder and sent raw to PCGS in 1997.

1990 no S Proof Lincoln Cent - PCGS PR68DCAM. Bought for $1,275 in 1994 as a proof set. Sent raw to PCGS in 1997.

Pretty good return on investment!

Steve

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    $ 290 for a PQ MS64 PCGS 1884-CC Morgan Dollar...

Not the most expensive collectible tough. That would be several stamps bought for $500 or more a piece.......

Dennis
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭✭
    A 1979-S Type 2 SBA Dollar graded as PCGS PR70DCAM. It sold one year later for 2.30 times what I paid for it. image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    A 1895 Proof Morgan about 5 years ago, $17,500
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most I ever spent was $350 or so for a 1909-S VDB cent in an ANACS net-graded holder, which I thought was a misattributed clip. When I got the coin and realized it was properly described, I immediately resold it for a small loss.

The most expensive coin I still own is my clipped 1922 Plain, another ANACS net graded coin (are you sensing a pattern here?), which I bought for $325 in 2002.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    It looks like it is about a tie between these three with the dime just a few hundred more image.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    1799 $10 PCGS F15:

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Although I've been collecting for well over 50 years about 90% of my collection has come from going though pocket change, bags of coins from a bank, garage and yard sales and flea markets. Meaning my primary cost was face value. However, never could find a 55 DD Lincoln Cent so finally went out this year and bought one for $1300 to finally complete at least one of the 10 sets I have.
    Carl
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    1934 Boone in PCGS MS67, POP 24/1

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $3000 for a 1914 D PCGS MS 63 R&B private sale.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    5500 for a VF25 '56 flyer............later sold
    6450 for an AU50 '56..................later sold
    3000 for a G6 chain.....................later sold
    3500 for a VF35 16slq.................later sold

3950 for a VG8 16/16 nick...........that's staying!
    7500 for a G4 1796 quarter.........same!
    10,500 for my current '56 which I like MUCH more than either previous!

• Options
    <<<<<<Icon. Can't remember how much I paid. It must have been one of those amounts that my mind has buried away to be never recalled. I believe shrinks refer to this as a "Gestalt", a process to protect one's sanity.image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bought "Raw" - Before PCGS and NGC even existed:

1879 Flowing Hair Stella - (Would grade Pr65 Cameo in todays market)
    1909 Eliasberg Roman Finish Proof $20 Saint Gaudens (Would grade Pr66 in todays market)
    1868 Amon Carter Proof $20 Liberty Type 2 (subsequently graded Pr65, now Ex Trompetor)
    A Choice EF Gold Aureaus of Caligula

Purchased Slabbed:
    Another 1868 Proof $20 Liberty Type 2 - Pr65.
    1895 Proof 65 Morgan
    1856 Proof 64 Flying Eagle
    1869 Proof 65 $3

Not exactly sure which was the most expensive - but in terms of cost when I bouhgt them a tie between the 1909 Roman Finish Proof $20 Saint Gaudens and the 1879 Proof Stella. (The Caligula was kinda pricy too.)

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    TDN,

Is that one of them Franklin Mint repros? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the business: A 1897 Liberty $5 gold in NGC PR-67 D-Cam - $70.000 + - It was an amazing coin!!

For myself: My High Relief $20 gold in PCGS MS-63, but it's now well down on my list of most valuable coins, even with the price increases for these over the past couple of years.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    1890 Proof Morgan 64 CAM.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    $595 for a 1914-D $10 Indian raw off Eaby. Currently NGC - MS63.
  • Options
    $5000.00 for AU-50 1799 bust dollar PCGS
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

<----------This one (1873 Trade dollar Dcam).
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    After a few trades, the equivalent of $8,750 for a mint state 1926-S Buffalo.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file