Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you had one trip on a time machine for coins............

.....where and when would you visit??

For me, I'd select an ANA convention post WW2--should be full of rare coins at very low prices.

Comments

• Options
    Lumpkin County - 1838
  • Options
    Carson City...1879.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    San Francisco, 1893 image
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Philadelphia Mint...1895
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 40s show sounds good.
    I'm going to need a book, some boxes and a 2-wheeler image

A 20s show in Philly might be nice as well.

Something to think about.
    You would have to take old money with you to buy with.
    Larry

• Options
    A hillside outside ancient Rome, circa 3500b.c. (wag), hiding behind a tree, watching some brainiacs burying coins. That alone would be worth the trip (hey, why you doing that? Growin money tree, mister. Finally, mystery of why they buried coins for yuppies to find today is solved). Dig them up after they left, come back, sell them for $3.95 each, like they are getting today. image
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia 1794

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Philadelphia, pre-April 1933. All previous Saint dates availabe via mail-order directly from the mint...1927-D's!! And OTHERS!
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭
    ALL MINTS in 1893!! Gimme those key date Morgans!!! image

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I would venture to the basement of John Harper's saw shop, on Sixth Street in old Philadelphia, in July of 1792. I would stand next to Thomas Jefferson, Adam Eckfeldt, David Rittenhouse, and others, and watch as the first coins struck under the authority of the new United States government came off the hand screw press built by Eckfeldt. I would then follow the procession up to Independence Hall, where the 1500 new half dismes were presented to President Washington, Alexander Hamilton and others. And hopefully, I would be afforded the privilege of taking one of those pieces of Americana home.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Philadelphia Mint,1888. I would buy most of the proof coins they made for that year. I would say to the mint employee. "Hey, what do you think these will grade at PCGS." He would just stare at me and say in his head, "What the he** is he talking about."image
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philly 1895

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Two stops: San Francisco, 1915 to pick up a few Pan-Pac sets, and then Philadelphia, 1796, to put together a nice 1796 mint set.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh the list would be long for all the historical things ... I think I would definately want to join MrHalfDime ...

and making a night shift visit to the Philly mint in 1857 to find out what is really the story with those mules would be a treat ...

but if it was all about the money, I think I'd show up in San Francisco in the spring of 1901, and in addition to a few of each of the new issues, I'd be checking my change. image

It'd certainly be worth buying five common date twenties before I went back. image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Can I bring some bullion with me to have coined?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    China, 4000 B.C.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    denver 1916
  • Options
    love this thread!! 1906 San Francisco. Pick up a U.S.-Philippines Peso before shipped off to the far east!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Visiting the mint at some time in the past and stocking up on items at face value. Value-wise, probably key pennies would be the way to go. But at the same time, you don't want to dilute your holdings.
    If you did have a bag of 1893-s dollars they wouldn't be worth $50,000 each today. Maybe $1000-2000 each or so.

I think I'd visit a major auction some time in the past or possibly visit a coin dealer like B. Max Mehl and stock up. Cheap money that they would easily accept in the past would be common date BU silver dollars for anything post 1881. Rolls of key date Lincolns and Indian Cents come to mind.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Philadelphia 1916 then on my way to Denver. A roll of 16D Mercs!image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Right here in front of my Computer Dec 7 (or there-abouts) 1999.

Silver Proof Sets, Delaware Quarter Bags, anyone?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>love this thread!! 1906 San Francisco. Pick up a U.S.-Philippines Peso before shipped off to the far east! >>

You risk being killed in an eathquake.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    October 1916 Denver Colorado.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carson City 1870. Or Philadelphia, 1793.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would probably choose around the late 1920's era, at this point in time you could probably locate most of the late 19th century key dates as well as the recent coins like the 22 No D, 16-d dime, 01-s quarter, better date buffalo's, 16 SLQ, keyu WLH's and many others
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I would go back to the US mint on the day in 1817 when they started minting after the fire, on the day they grabbed the old 1814 obverse die and punched the "7" over the "4".image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    San Francisco 1884 image
  • Options
    I first would want to be 10 years old in 1877, hoping my dad would take me on a 'tour' of all the mints, and talk to the directors and ask them to send me at least 4 examples of each coin that they mint each year for the next - say 30 or so years to my home in Chicago.

Then come back in today's time and pick up those 'examples' send one of each to the top graders and watch all haites break loose.

I could then pay for my cancer treatments quite well.

• Options
    I would have to only go back to 1955 in search of those full red double die penniesimage
  • Options
    New Orleans, 1838
    Mark
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Philadelphia Mint,1888. I would buy most of the proof coins they made for that year. I would say to the mint employee. "Hey, what do you think these will grade at PCGS." He would just stare at me and say in his head, "What the he** is he talking about." image >>

imageimageimage

<< <i>New Orleans, January 15, 1861 >>

Also have the hourimage?
  • Options
    "One trip" ??--If you mean it's one way, I'll go to a post WWII ANA, because I want antibiotics and such to be invented so I can live to see my profits. image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    San Francisco, 1915. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia, late 1797 image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    my place & time would be 1915 panama-pacific international expotion
  • Options
    Anywhere around Denver in 1916, or 1932!!
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Philadelphia, late 1797 image >>

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pick some time in the late 1860's or 1870's when coin production and aquisition from the mint was sort of negotiable.image I'd take some common circulated seated coins with me and trade it in for all kinds of MS- goodies from the mint.
  • Options
    1870 CC ... I would be at the Carson City mint getting a canvas bag full of $10 & $20 Liberty's...image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take a bunch of different coins to about 40 years in the future.

Even if I got stuck there at least the coins should have some value and it would be an interesting time to live.

I'd bring back gold and a few coins for my collection. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I would go back to San Fran for a bag of nice shiney new 1901S Quarters !!!
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    New York city, December 1983.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lumpkin County - 1838 >>

fats.... my name is Lumpkin...i had family all over georgia

s.c. & n.c. rumoured that lumpkin county was named after my ancestors.

why is it numismatically significant?
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Philadelphia, 1935:

"Mrs. Chapman, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Really? There's inventory left? Of course I'd be happy to help!"

Runners-up: Philadelphia, 1793; Cairo, 1954; Boston, 1652; Annapolis, 1783; Paris, 1787.
  • Options
    1854 - San Francisco or 1794 Philly
    Nick
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    San Fransisco - 1926

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Philadelphia, January 1924. I would have been at August Wagner's shop w/ money in hand BEFORE his ad offering to sell the complete five-coin set of 1913 Liberty nickels even hit the stands. Nagy? Nope, doesn't ring a bell.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file