Home U.S. Coin Forum

Barber Coins - To much press lately

Tyler's (ARCO), recent thread on Barber halves has prompted me to start another Barber thread......

I just finished reading my latest edition of Coin World, and once again, a numismatic publication has included at least one article (usually there are more) on Barber coinage. Same thing with the September issue of Coins magazine, more articles on Barbers.

The articles usually refer to how underpriced Barbers are, in relation to other US coin series, how tough a series they are to collect in original, not messed with, condition, and the like. Although I love to read about the series that I specialize in, it is making it harder and harder to find nice Barber quarters and halves, at prices that are still considered "undervalued". With all the latest collectors jumping on the Barber bandwagon, finding that special Barber, at a decent price, has become a 24 hour a day job.

All this attention being played to the Barber series would be great, if I had my sets at least near completion, but that's not the case. As some of the articles have suggested, prices will probably continue to rise, at least for the keys and semi keys, at an unbelievable pace. Coin World's "Coin Values" section, has used the 1896-s Barber quarter as an example of a key date who's price in VG-8, has gone from $700.00, in Jan of 2005, to the current value of $1,200.00.

I guess I just have to accept the fact that Barbers are no longer a series that are collected by a few, (which kept prices down), but rather, is a series that is picking up huge momentum in the numismatic community, and will continue to become even more popular in the future.

Comments

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will balance out. There just aren't enough of them for all that many people to get in on it. A small influx of serious seekers can make prices really spike, and that will drive some people out in turn. I would expect a new equilibrium not that much crazily higher than the old one. Just my guess...
    mirabela
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Welcome to the club. Most other series have gone up 2-3X over the past couple of years. Looks like these are finally catching up.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This attention is what has lead to the insane prices being realized for coins like the 04-s halves and 13-s quarters as of late?

• << <i>This attention is what has lead to the insane prices being realized for coins like the 04-s halves and 13-s quarters as of late? >>

Jim,

You're right, all it takes is one article, in a major numismatic publication, calling a particular date, a "sleeper", or "undervalued", and forget about it after that.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I wish all the Barber attention would just go away. The Set Registry aint helping none either. Luckily those Registry guys would rather buy the bright shiny dipped out gold retoned ones & leave the drab ugly original toned ones for me. I'm one of the few that appreciate an ORIGINAL Barber.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    This is why I've given up at the possibility of starting and completing a set of Barber halves in VF, XF or AU. In the past, it was often stated in print, that there are no rare dates in this series. Perhaps in low grades that might be true, but in the well worn grade of Fine, they can be very elusive. Now, we're not talking about mint state condition rarities, because for Barber halves, even a Fine-12 can take forever to find. Add on the original problem-free requirement, and you might as well give up and start collecting state quarters! Occasionally, you will see an 1893-s, 96-o or 97-s that at first glance, appears to be a true Fine or VF, but you quickly realize that it's been harshly cleaned or scratched in all the wrong places.
    For those who do have a complete, evenly matched set of these in grades better than VG-10, I congratulate you.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A large percentage of the buying is by speculators and hoarders, not true collectors of the series. The result is the same. The supply of nice original coins, which was never very large, has dried up fast.
    All glory is fleeting.

• << <i>A large percentage of the buying is by speculators and hoarders, not true collectors of the series. The result is the same. The supply of nice original coins, which was never very large, has dried up fast. >>

Good point, I forgot about the hoarders and speculators who are only thinking about the almighty dollar.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess that leaves the Barber dimes as the only "available" Barber series left. And there are no real stoppers though dates like 95-0 do cost several hundred dollars. Was fortunate to pick up a complete G+ to VF set just the other day. Unusual that only one single scarcer date was scrubbed: the 1897-0. The 1895-0 was a very pleasant borderline VG with excellent rims. I'm sure it took the seller a while to put this together. The quarters and halves were of much lower quality and many were AG and scrubbed.

The seated series is replete with underrated dates that don't cost a lick. The 1859-0 quarter is rarer in overall circ condition than any Barber coin (1901-s 25c included).....probably 5 to 10X as rare as the 1901-s quarter. Yet you can find those for $30-50 in decent circ grades. EF's cost around $100-150. Eventually, that hoopla over the Barbers will make its way back to many of the mid-range seated coins.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Roadrunner,

I would love to see the set of Barber dimes that you picked up. It must be a great feeling to buy an early set like that (even in lower circulated grades), and find so many nice, original looking coins. One day, I'm hoping it will happen to me with Barber quarters or halves.

Because the Seated series is such a tough and challenging series to collect (even more so than Barbers), and the series contain a ton of different dates and mintmarks, I don't really see the the early seated coins be collected for anything more than type sets.
  • CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Dog,

I have a circulated registry set, but I'm only competing with myself. I participate to share what I have. Fortunately the number of blast white shiney ones are in the small minority. image

Dime prices seem to be heading up also.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Dimes (minus the 95-O and 01, 03 & 04 S mints) for the most part have been spared the prices increases. about every two months I go to the book store and pick up a coin prices magazine and every time there are price increases on almost every Barber half. The first three years I collected these, I didn't once see a price increase in the retail price guides.

Yeah, I think the upsurge (three more collectors have joined in image) in popularity has made what was already a difficult series even more so now. The quarter keys have seen the greatest price increases especially the 01-S. Jim's Fine 01-S is now worth what I paid for my house (a bit exaggerated). Someone should just shoot Jim as no one deserves the kind of luck he has had! image

In addition, there have been some very well financed and dedicated MS Barber collectors (in the half series) that have been in friendly competition for the finest higher end MS pieces, two of whom post here. Harry Labstain's 04-S in MS61 for sale is listed as, "Call for Price" which means that its price is HIGH and rising too quickly for him to be bound by a fixed internet price.

I am lucky enough to collect in a grade range that is still affordable if not nearly impossible to find choice examples. However, I am disappointed to see the ever elusive 92-o micro O escalate in price like the quarter key dates. If it is any consolation Dan, while the prices have been rising, it still seems to me about equally difficult to locate choice and original pieces as it did five years ago. I have noticed that Heritage has had many more nice Barber coins these last two years. I once wrote Heritage all pissed off after scanning their site for about one year and not seeing a single nice Barber half. I wrote and told them I would NEVER buy from their lousy site that featured nothing but cleaned crap. image Well some years later and a bit more maturity, I have probably bought twenty to thirty Barber coins from them.

Tyler
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbers are extremely ugly coins, especially in grades below MS68. This is not my opinion – this is fact!

Do not collect or support such an uninspiring, hideous design.

All Barber material under MS 68 (and PR 70) should be melted, and turned into Franklin Mint commems.

Oh, and one more thing --- Charles Barber was very mean man (who was also a hack). image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Barbers are extremely ugly coins, especially in grades below MS68. This is not my opinion – this is fact!

Do not collect or support such an uninspiring, hideous design.

All Barber material under MS 68 (and PR 70) should be melted, and turned into Franklin Mint commems.

Oh, and one more thing --- Charles Barber was very mean man (who was also a hack). image

Dave >>

I wouldn't go quite that farimage
    Barbers are handsome, highly collectible coins with some incredibly scarce dates, but compared to the superior coins of 1916, they are a little dull. In fact, viewing my Barber coins comes in handy when I have a bad case of insomnia. Works every time.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charles Barber played Golf? Perhaps by calling him a hack, you point out yet another reason why he should have spent more time on the course...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Casey, Yeah I clicked on your sig link the other day and was checking out your Reg Set. You got a cool set. image
  • a year ago - no one wanted Barbers...
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Dagnabbit roadrunner, shush about them Barber dimes! image

Meanwhile - 1859-O quarter, eh?
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dagnabbit roadrunner, shush about them Barber dimes! image

Meanwhile - 1859-O quarter, eh? >>

The last time I returned to coin collecting, Barber Dimes seemed like the perfect set for me to build: no price fluctuations, no unaffordable dates, but a challenge in no-problem circulated condition. Dimes are too small to interest many collectors, and the design is not one of the most inspiring. Since there are not enough full Liberty Barber Dimes without problems to interest wholesale promoters, I jumped on the Barber bandwagon with dimes and have learned a lot, while completing two sets with many duplicates.

I have also completed a Barber Half set, and have most of the quarters that I'll ever be able to afford. Barber Halves have become too popular for my liking in the last year. Now I have to buy a graysheet every few months.

Still, every time I read an article about Barber Dimes being as undervalued as I have known for them, I feel like a couple dozen strangers are heading for my favorite obscure fishing hole.

I am also considering looking into Seated Liberty Dimes next, despite some of the expensive CC issues from the early 1870s.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    All I gotta say is that I am glad I started collecting Barbers when I did.

Those of you who know my collecting habits realize that my sets are fairly uniform in grade and toning. Yes, a few white coins slipped in and a few MS coins fill holes which were meant for AU 55-58 examples.

The key word in collecting Barbers is "patience".

Yes, the supply seems to be drying up for better mid range circulated to choice almost uncirculated coins, but I see the supply that does exist seems to be going more to collectors rather than the investor base.

As far as the Seated Liberty VS the Barber Liberty Head debacle, I wouldn't dream of starting a Seated Liberty collection due to the utter rarity of most of these coins; yes, many are modestly priced (compared to their rarity factor) but there are SO many show stoppers in all the Seated series, it would be almost complete lunacy to attempt a complete collection of dates and mint marks.

Someday my AU 55 1901-S quarter will appear, I just hope I'm not in a nursing home
    when that happens ! image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike wrote:

<< <i>Someday my AU 55 1901-S quarter will appear, I just hope I'm not in a nursing home >>

One more comment that I thought of after reading Mike's post. The Barber dimes and Halves are tough to finish but totally doeable. That is what many collectors want; difficulty, but a doeable set with some patience. As Dave knows...you are essentially out to lunch if you try the quarter set and hope for a choice 01-S quarter above VG. The same thing for much of the Seated series. Who can collect a date set? No, collectors need to find every damn date and mintmark in a series to feel complete! image
  • CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    This 1897-S dime (ANACS AU55) closed on Ebay today for $430. It sold for $218 in May during a Heritage Bullet auction. Wow.

Ebay linkimage
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Mint State Barber Halves have always been hard to find. PFs are a little bit easier.

I picked up a really nice MS 66 type Barber Quarter at Long Beach for a type price. If you want a high grade 16 D or a Philadelphia mint Barber Quarter and not pay a fortune for it, they are available. The hoarders are going after San Francisco and New Orleans coins.

High end Barber Dimes are always available.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I started collecting Barber dimes in the early 1980s, trying to get coins in at least VF condition.
    Low grade Barber coins just are not that appealing but most circulated barbers are in the lower grades
    so I had much more of a challenge on my hands.

I got most of the so called "common" dates but I'm not sure any Barber dime in VF can really be called "common". I'm missing about 10 coins (the 94-S of course) but I do have the 1895-O in VF
    that I got from a B&M auction in 1983 for around $250. The price on that date in that condition has sure risen since then. Somewhere along the way I lost interest in working on the set but I still have it in a
    Whitman bookshelf album. I got diverted by other things and the attention to the Barber set has suffered
    for years. I hope to start working on it again someday.

• << <i>I started collecting Barber dimes in the early 1980s, trying to get coins in at least VF condition.
    Low grade Barber coins just are not that appealing but most circulated barbers are in the lower grades
    so I had much more of a challenge on my hands.

I got most of the so called "common" dates but I'm not sure any Barber dime in VF can really be called "common". I'm missing about 10 coins (the 94-S of course) but I do have the 1895-O in VF
    that I got from a B&M auction in 1983 for around $250. The price on that date in that condition has sure risen since then. Somewhere along the way I lost interest in working on the set but I still have it in a
    Whitman bookshelf album. I got diverted by other things and the attention to the Barber set has suffered
    for years. I hope to start working on it again someday. >>

If I were only 10 coins away from completing the set, and you have the key date 95-o, I certainly would contemplate finishing the set. Of course, if the 10 coins included dates like the 1901-s, and 1904-s, then it could still be a real challenge.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I started working on my Barber half set (VG) grade about 9 months ago because it seemed like a fairly quite set to work on. I did purchase the 1913,1914 & 1915 about 1 year ago for nice prices compared to today.....

Having just read in Coins Magazine that Dimes, Quarters & Halves are undervalued and should be looked at in the future I get annoyed, that prices will rise faster then I can find nice VG Quarters and Dimes (grade not determined yet) in the future.....

I keep reading how VF and higher the Sets are extremely difficult, sets of these coins without a slick back is pretty difficult to me..... I have just stopped looking at the stores by me as they have nothing at this point..... Can't wait till that August Cleveland show.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Tom,

I can not believe the variance in the Bullet sale and the Ebay sale prices. I also can't believe that the 97-S is the one ( and only ) coin I wanted to upgrade eventually. Oh well...

Tyler,

In twenty years you can visit me at "Shady Meadows" down here in Naples and I'll show you my 01-S quarter ! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    The Coin World that I received yesterday trumpeted the price increases of key date Barber coins since the start of this year.

I've started buying more original XF/AU Philadelphia Barber Dimes for $15 to $40 each because I like them, can easily afford them. I never thought Barbers would rise in price so quickly, but if someone is going to try to promote them (the way Morgans, Franklins, late-date Walkers and other common coins have been promoted), these are still undervalued and available at less than CDN bid for sometone with a good eye.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got kinda excited when I looked at TT tonight and saw they were auctioning a couiple 1913 Barber Halves, a couple 1914's, and a small stash of 1915's. On the surface, I don't mind the VG grade in these coins if it looks decent. These didn't. Most of them svcked! Anyone else look at those?

There was a mostly decent VF 1897 there -- good looking but for one 'issue' of some sort, I forget what. There was also a VF35 1913 I think. Too rich for my blood, so I didn't click to look at it.
    mirabela
  • There appears to be a great deal of Barber buying by dealers and investor/speculators. Frequently that is a sign that a new publication on a particular series is about to appear. Anyone hear anything?
    If it wouldn't been for that 1 guy, what's his name, yeah oldcameoproofsguy, that tried to single handedly tried to corner the Barber market years ago, we'd still be getting them cheap. image
  • I've been buying, selling and collecting Barber dimes for 7+ years, mostly on eBay.
    Some personal stories can illuminate the price rising.

For 3 or 4 years I bought all the XF or better Barber dimes I could find for less than $10.
    Not eBay XF, the bottom band has to be complete to reach that grade. (Unless it is slabbed
    by Heritage DBA ANACS.) Every couple of months I would post 40 or so of my XFs and plow
    the proceeds into buying more dimes. The prices I got has risen from $10-16 to $15-25 in the last year
    or so. There is definetly more demand for my series.

Every year I put together a G-VG set of Barber dimes just for the fun of it. When I finish the set
    I admire it for a bit and break it up on the bay. Years ago I would spend from $750-900 or so
    on my yearly pursuit. This year I am nearing $1200 and am still shy the 1897-O. I used to spend $40-55
    for a nice G or G+ '97-O. I expect to have to shell out twice that much this year.

I put together 33 of the 74 coin set in slabbed MS63+ over the course of 5 years. I looked at tons
    of coins and bought smart. I bought mostly white coins and put a great deal of importance on eye appeal.
    I rarely if ever paid more than the CDN bid at the time. That would not be possible today. Part of the reason
    is that there is a lot of investors tired of grade and price inflation in the usual suspects -- Morgans, Walkers,
    Mercs., etc. But there is evidence of a strong collector base supporting the Barbers too.

<This 1897-S dime (ANACS AU55) closed on Ebay today for $430. It sold for $218 in May during a Heritage Bullet auction. Wow.>

I sold an unc. '97-S just a year ago for $200. It was at least as nice as the coin mentioned above. Investors
    don't buy coins like that, collectors do.

I also grumble about the good old days when there was less competition for nice pieces. But I also enjoy looking at my
    NGC 1904 MS64 picked up on eBay years ago for $140. That will never happen again. There are simplt too many
    knowledgale collectors out there now. And that's a good thing.

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file