Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Type sets - what do YOU do?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I picked up a Dansco Type Set album...after seeing so many cool coins, even in series I and the boy don't collect.
Gonna be expensive and I don't think I will be getting "similar look/similar grade" coins.
But, I do want to fill it out as much as I can. I think it is cool.

I even won a 1868 shield nickel (I won't collect the series) since it is my birthyear -100 and I will crack it out of anacs slab to put in the album.

That, and doing some "simple" filling has me wondering though, and this is the question from the title:
Do people use PROOF coins or MINT STATE coins (even if circulated....either circ or unc)?

I can think some cool proof toned coins would be great but it would really look different to have a mix of proof vs mint state.....does anyone do it and if so, are you doing it as you feel is right, or trying to do it all proof?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I filled mine with mainly MS coins. I am currently working on a VG8 key date set.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some folks are purists and go for MS business strikes only. I personally like the "flash" of proof coins, so I used to use proofs in my type set whenever possible, and a mixed set looked fine to me. The traditional focus of a type set is on the best possible example of that type, i.e. more on grade and eye appeal than rarity, and I figured proofs were the pinnacle of eye appeal for a given type. Especially CAM and DCAM proofs.

HOWEVER, I don't recommend putting proofs in a Dansco. I had problems with slidemarks and milk spots and haze when I did that. Baley's famous Dansco 7070 type set has a lot of proofs, though, including 19th century proofs!

Edit to add: you're in for a lot of fun. The Dansco is a blast. I've done it 2.5 times.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just try to put a pleasant, eye-appealing example of every coin in there. I have a half dozen proofs in mine, but only among moderns. I'm too chicken to put classic proofs in that thing (not that I have lots of them laying around!), for the aforementioned reasons. For the same reasons, I only put things better than MS62 or so in there when the coin is worth less than around $100. My classic 19th century examples tend toward choice XF or choice AU. Some are way worse; these tend to be coins I've had since I was a kid. Most upgrade eventually. I make an exception for the large coppers; I just don't like them enough to spend real money. Maybe someday I'll get religion on this issue, but until then I've got some pretty marginal coins in a few of those slots. So -- I guess you can say mine is all over the map.

I really really like my 7070 album. It's one of the most fun facets of my collection, and definitely the one that shows the best.
    mirabela
  • Options
    I'm thinking the same way on most of this.....I am doing only MS right now but may put a proof or two in....
    I have a few that are toned and a few that aren't.

I have a limit around $80-$100 for a coin I would put in the 7070 instead of in a slab.

What upset me is the nickel portion......I just bought the 7070 and there is no slot difference for the Westward Journey nickels than the Monticello from '38-'03 (except for the war years of silver).
    So, "new page" coming?

I really think all four from '04-'05, and whatever comes out in '06, should be in there.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree about the nickels -- I'd like to at least have one hole for "westward expansion nickels" or something.

I finally broke down and cracked a bunch of slabs for my Dansco a couple months ago. I had all these great looking 19th century type coins, and all these slots with either nothing or a scrubby F12 or something -- I just couldn't stand it. Anything that I figured wouldn't get hurt, and that I could in reasonable confidence say wouldn't be for sale this decade, went in the album. It was a great day.
    mirabela
  • Options
    I used proofs for the moderns, but stuck to business strikes when
    filling the rest of the book out. (And gave up and cracked out a
    20 cent and Trade dollar and Seated Dollar to fill the last holes!)

I think that the key is to find a coin that you like; set your own rules.

When I was finishing the first phase of my 1872 project (get an example
    of each denomination) someone replied to my "I'm done!!" post by
    saying that I cheated by using the proof 2 cent as my example of that
    denomination while everything else was business strike. My response
    was that I can't be cheating because I set the rules as to what constitutes
    an example!

Do whatever makes you happy, and enjoy the set.image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    You'll have a great time with your Dansco 7070. Only MS examples for me.

You may have a little trouble with your $80 to $100 per coin budget. I rarely spend more than $100 per coin, but I already have about 14 coins in my type set that I spent over $100 per coin on, and they're nice original coins, IMO. I still have 3 big holes left, and 2 of those are the early large cents and the Seated Dollar with motto. I don't think there's anyway I can fill those holes with decent examples for less than $200 each.

Have fun...you'll get addicted to that album.
    Bill
  • Options
    Ron,

I do both MS and Proof. I'm looking for the best possible example ot the type of coin for each hole. Actually, a lot of the 19th Century coins are much cheaper as Proof than MS!

Ken
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I don't like proof coins.

Proof coins were made to be saved and preserved, so they should be pristine.

Mint state coins survived that way, generally, by dumb luck.

I like the idea of having old coins that are mint state and have no rightful reason to have survived like that.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I used some Proofs in the moderns. Click on the link below and you'll see them.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Proof coins were made to be saved and preserved, so they should be pristine. >>

They can remain that way in a Dansco just fine if you are careful with the slides.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    My 7070 set is a mix ... some proof coins for the moderns, but the vast majority are business strikes. I'm going to redo this set someday looking to "match" the coins as much as possible, given budget constraints. I'm thinking all post-1900 coins in MS, 1850 to 1900 coins in EF-AU, the earlier coins in VF-EF. The redo will be all circulation strikes.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just about worn mine out by changing out coins.image

Years ago when I first started it, every coin had to be something special.
    A key date, a rare variety or maybe a proof. I view it now as a mistake.
    It never really had that look of a well matched set.

Over time the proofs started to have problems from the album and I started to worry.
    I had put some coins in the album that just did not belong there.
    Over time I down graded the set and put most of the coins in plastic.

A type set is great fun, no matter how you go about it.image

Larry

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    When I was collecting type, I was trying to stick to proof where possible. Early proofs can get very expensive, whereas MS coins come in all price ranges.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I look at my higher level coins as staying in slabs.
    I will have a "type set" in slabs, for the preservation as well as authentication (such as on the trade dollar if I ever get one....they aren't cheap for a nice one), but I also want something in the album because I think it looks cool.

I haven't done proofs, yet, but may.
    I have gone high end, on moderns only, for the timebeing. Unless the coin has cool toning or something. I am putting some that I find in rolls, etc, that have cool toning just because image

For the $100 budget....I know it will be hard. I may break it on occassion. But, I am not going to break my idea on not putting in high MS coins that are easy to counterfeit (or have many out there) or are just plain hard to get. Ie.....the merc dimes won't find a 16-d in there nor will a lincoln 09-svdb be in there image

• Options
    I've got everything from VG to MS 64 crackouts in mine....and it looks fine !!
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a mixture of proof and MS. Some crackouts, some bought raw, and several the result of some nice swaps with folks here. I even have a couple of lightly cleaned/retoned coins in there. It's been awhile since I added anything to it though. Hoping to hit my first show in over a year soon. My Dansco is the only part of my collection I have left after selling everything in my collection to buy groceries a couple times some months ago(long story), and I think I'll just stick to albums from now on.
    imageimage

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too am mixed... moderns and some mid-era type coins are proofs, the early coins are AU to low MS grades.

I think it kind of shows the evolution of coinage to have the moderns be dcam proofs; the technical merits of the coins improved while their artistic merit declined steadily after reaching it's apex in the 1907-1916 through the 1935-47 period.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    <<the technical merits of the coins improved while their artistic merit declined steadily after reaching it's apex in the 1907-1916 through the 1935-47 period.>>

I like that. It puts into words what I have been thinking for a long time.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    for all the "to date" spots, i broke up a proof set from my birthyear. the "modern and bicentenial page" is also all proofs, except for the SAC, which for some reason I can't remember, I opted to put an MS example. The quarter is also an MS, cause I wanted it to be the first CA quarter I found in circulation - so there will always be some form of sentimentality to it even though it is a cheap coin. (also makes it the only coin in there that I pulled from circulation.

As for the rest of it, I crack slabs all the time to put them in the dansco. I try where I can, to do first or last year of issue, and where applicable, I use the "transition" year. For example, I put in an 1883 NO CENTS nickel, (which I cracked out of an NGC slab), but then for the "with cents variety, I went out of my way to use an 1883. That way you can actually see the change.

Here are some photos for example's sake.

the other pages have changed quite a bit since I last scanned them, so i left them out. (plus I didn't want to dominate your thread).
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am trying to match a set in high high F to XF. Very tough. I have been looking for three years and found only these.
    They all have the same high light low dark look and nearly the same color in person, the pics make a few look different.

This is the most challenging way to collect as far as circ go I think.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Capital Plastics type set holder for 20th century coins, but... and here's the fun part...

It has NO holes for my Type I Buffalo, my 1909S VDB cent, my "with cents" V nickel, or the 5 state quarters, or type I and II SLQ. I have such a love/hate thing going on with Capital plastics.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As for the rest of it, I crack slabs all the time to put them in the dansco. I try where I can, to do first or last year of issue, and where applicable, I use the "transition" year. For example, I put in an 1883 NO CENTS nickel, (which I cracked out of an NGC slab), but then for the "with cents variety, I went out of my way to use an 1883. That way you can actually see the change. >>

Great minds think alike. My type nickels are dated 1867, 1883, 1913, and 1942 -- two of each date, each different types.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three type sets going at any one time.

A Library of Coins (two albums - no gold) which will never be complete unless something weird (like a lotto / megamillions winning ticket) happens and then two Danco 7070, one with the gold page and the other without.

The Danco 7070 without the gold page was given to me as a Christmas present before many of the forum members were born (1970). It is makedly different from the current 7070 with no spaces for SAE, Sac and SBA dollars, Statehood quarters or Ike dollars (although I did add a bicentennial page to it back in 76 - I don't think that page is available any longer).

At any rate, the Library of coins set it my primary set, all the best stuff goes there, as I upgrade coins in that, the one that got upgraded will go into one of the 7070 albums.

Type sets are one of the more interesting ways to collect since you get to see a broad spectrum of US releases.
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    I did my 7070 in VF to AU grades only.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to acquire Proof type coins when I can afford them. I'd like to get all of the 20th century Proof type coins and then work back to say the types from the 1860s forward.

BUT since my favorite type coins fall in the 1792 to 1807 range, I'm happy if I can afford a nice AU. Mint State, with one exception, the Draped Bust half cent (1800 - 8), is out of the question for me financially.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I have a mixture of F+ (my 1803 cent) through MS64 (Morgan and Peace $) in mine. The only proofs I have are an 1982 Washington Commemoratice half and a Franklin. I'm not crazy about the proof contrast with circulated and uncirculated coins. So I'll probably swap those two out. My favorites for the set are the VF to EF coins--which is good because I won't be able to afford AU/MS for the types I have left.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of completing my first...

At first, I filled many holes with coins from my existing childhood collection. Recently, I and have been actively upgrading and filling holes. The general thought is to have key/semi key dates for all the coins in as nice of a grade as I can afford.

Many of the moderns are proofs. For many of the early 20th centry and non-modern coins the price of proofs becomes limiting, so I try and get a key or semi-key date below $500/coin.

The method I use is: I research a series, buy a book or three, pick a few candidtate coins, then start searching for them. I buy from ebay, TT, DLRC, Heritage, etc. I buy slabbed and non-slabbed coins -- I buy the coin.

I've really had a blast doing this and learned a bunch.

Have fun...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Don't be afraid to use Proofs in a 7070. I have quite a few in mine, including an '82 Shield Nickel (formerly NGC63). The slides are a concern, but if you're careful, Proofs really show off nicely in an album. And, a lot of 19th century Proofs in PF62 through 64 ranges are just stupid cheap.
  • Options
    Just started a 7070 and am really enjoying all the different types of coins that I never really looked at before. I am learning something new every day well trying to. Proof to VG, would like to have it MS when i'm finnished.image
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my type set, condition runs from PO-1 to PR-63 details. And the rarest date/mintmark I can find. I am still looking for many, and it is quite a challenge. Type collecting is by far the best way to begin collecting, IMO.
  • Options
    How is that type set coming along Ron?

Pics??

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file