Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is your favorite owned coin your most valuable??

These Boards seem to be shallow in content lately, so I'll take a shot at a new thread. This surely is not a topic of first impression, but doesn't seem to have been discussed lately. Unlike many recent threads, it actually pertains to coins!

My answer is no, not by a longshot. My favorite coin actually is a set of seven circulated $5 gold pieces is in a custom Capital holder entitled "THE ONLY COIN MINTED AT ALL SEVEN MINTS". It contains an example from each mint, and my Dad (RIP) bought it for me in 1958 at a Coin Convention in downtown Los Angeles for the princely sum of $210! It's a bit outdated, as the $5 gold coin was coined at West Point long after the set was assembled. I have never seen another like it. It offers so many memories, and is at the top of my favorites list even though it would not excite many collectors.

As far as individual coins, two of my favorites (but not most valuable) are an 1872 two cent piece and a 1812 half, both in PCGS MS 66 1st gen holders. They are "condition census", in amazing states of preservation and are wonders to behold that would excite many collectors.

OK, it's your turn: Is your favorite owned coin your most valuable??

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    My favorite is a 1864 2c piece, given to me by my grandfather. I couldn't even tell you the grade. After that would come the proof sets from 1968-1980. I got one each Christmas from my other grandfather.

Of the coins I bought myself, it would be a 1960 LD over SD proof cent, one of the first coins I got when I got back into collecting. Don't remember the grade.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    It's a 1955 DDO, and the most valuable. When and if I buy smoething more valuable, it will still be my favorite.
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Heck naw! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    my favorite is my most valuable. i dont usually spend outside 200 dollars, but this one screamed "you MUST buy me!" and so i did.
  • Options
    7summits7summits Posts: 316 ✭✭
    Mine favorite is a 1913-S Lincoln. I got it working for my Grandmother. She had saved up several quart jars of cents and let me 'cherrypick' after each time I cut her grass and pulled weeds in her garden. The cent is VF at best, but it brings back fond memories of a much different era.
  • Options
    yellowjacketyellowjacket Posts: 1,809
    My favorite is an uncirculated 1938-D Buffalo I bought when visiting my grandmother in Oklahoma City in 1966. I liked Baffalos and saw it at Alexander's Coins. $3.25 for what must be a 65. I have a registry set of Bufallos, but this raw coin is still my fave.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I really don't have a favorite coin. If I had a 55 DD it would be my favorite but that may be because it's the only Lincoln Cent I need to complete a collection. The nearest thing that I really like is a 1943 Lincoln Cent that is copper plated.
    Carl
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

My most valuble coin:

My favorite coin: (currently)

David
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    My favorite coin is not at all my most valuable if you go by its current grade on the pcgs holder, but if it upgraded (it should, I've never tried) it would be my most valuable. Actually, if my second favorite coin upgraded that would then win! Those are both early Lincolns. My second favorite Lincoln Memorial is a 1966 that pcgs just graded ms65. They think it's worth like 50 cents. It's nicer and far rarer than my pcgs ms67 1964-d that is worth $3000. The 64-d is only my 6th or 7th favorite Lincoln Memorial.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nicer and far rarer than my pcgs ms67 1964-d that is worth $3000.

Haletj - You must really love that 64-D if you haven't yet sold it for the 3K it's worth!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DracoDraco Posts: 512
    Not by a long shot. . .my favorite is also my oldest; 1806 half in an ANACS F12 holder. Every time I hold this coin, I think about the things there were going on in the world at that time (like Napoleon's conquest of Europe) and wonder who was the the first to spend it on something they needed. . .and what was it that they purchased? Cool stuff.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my favorite is also my oldest; 1806 half in an ANACS F12 holder. Every time I hold this coin, I think about the things there were going on in the world at that time (like Napoleon's conquest of Europe) and wonder who was the the first to spend it on something they needed. . .and what was it that they purchased? Cool stuff.

Just imagine how cool it would be to actually touch with your hands the coin that has all that history,
    instead of holding the plastic container the coin is in!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if I have a favorite, but I love touching my Roman Silver Coins, thinking about all they have seen and where they have been in 1700+ years.....

Not my most valuable by far either.....

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    In all honesty, I cannot come up with my favorite coin. I could, however come up with hundreds that I would sell to buy such a favorite coin.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I actually have two favorite coins, both for reasons on how they were aquired.

In order I received them:

The first: The Firemans 9-11 New York State Quarter (PCGS graded, Number 70/100, MS-65). A gift from friends of the forum.

The second: The 1924 $20 ST. G. (PCGS MS65) Also a gift from the forum.

As for prices... They are both priceless to me, they will be handed down to my daughter when I pass on, or when I hand over the whole collection to her.

Ray
  • Options
    Mine would have to be the one I made my avitar, it only cost 5 cents and wouldn't grade verry well and I gave it away to a freind but it was still my favorite
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    No, my favorite coin is a Jefferson Nickel I paid a little over 2 dollars for. While my most expensive is a Peace Dollar for my NGC registery Set
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    My favorite coin also happens to be my most valuable coin. One of these days I need to pull it out of the bank box and shoot it with my current setup.

• Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    My favorite isn`t my most expensive which is a MS66 1879-S. It has a good shot at MS67 if I ever send it in for a regrade. I don`t see the point in doing so as I don`t intend to sell.

imageimage
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    That's reall clean for a 66 CCR. I'd say you have a shot.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well certainly not my most expensive coin. Not really my cheapest either. But, since Russ gave it to
    me it certainly has sentimental value as Russ is my hero. I get choked up writing this (stman wiping a tear from his eye.)
    Thanks again Russ!!!!

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    ChuckCChuckC Posts: 1,600
    <<--- my fav is the merc featured in to the left, but it is not my most expensive coin
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Cool!image Coming from you, it probably really does have a chance. The ticks are very few and superficial except maybe one or two. I bought her about 3 or 4 years ago and part of a unregistered " S-Mint " ( 1878-S through 1882-S ) that I have. The 1879-S and 1882-S are the two highlights. All are MS65 except the 1879-S. It`s a real nice satin luster and the 1882-S is brilliant or near brilliant.image
  • Options
    My favorite is a Silver Roman coin. I don't know a lot about ancients, but I am amazed at the condition and history of the piece. Cost? about $70.
  • Options
    GTSGTS Posts: 300
    yes,1920-S St. Gaudens $20 Double eagle.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
  • Options
    lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    Not one of the top ones, but I look at this one more than any of the others!!!
    (pic courtesy mgoodm3)
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    No. Most expensive = 1890 Morgan proof. Most faveorite = 1883 proof indian cent in PR66BN (bluel toning).
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is your favorite owned coin your most valuable?? >>

My most valuable coin wouldn't even make the list of my 5 favorite coins.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is your favorite owned coin your most valuable?? >>

not by a long, long shot. my favorite coins tend to be in the $25 - $100 range!

K S
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite coin is the 94-s half eagle that was the first gold coin that I bought after a twenty year hiatus from coins. It is not the most expensive but I look at it at least once a week and swear at it. "you good for nothing AU sob, why couldn't you have been MS?" I guess it will have to do as I have not been able to lay peepers on a MS 94-s.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite coins is a 1981-P quarter in MS-64 PL with a type "d" reverse. (reverse is MS-67 PL)

This is a very tough date in PL and the only type "d" PL I've seen from any year. It trends for $7 as
    an unrecognized variety but it would be difficult to find a buyer. Few dealers or even modern col-
    lectors would offer over $.30 for it.

Some of my other favorites are worth much more now days.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    Major bigtime, your key-date ms66 red two cent piece isn't your most valuable?

WOW! image

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. My favorite coin changes from day to day. However they would include:

1. 1890-CC Morgan in VG-F condition that was found by my aunt on the street in either Denver or Iowa in the early 1960's. She gave it to my mom cuz she knew I was a YN. My mom gave it to me. It is a sentimental piece.

2. 1913-S Lincoln in F condition - given to me by my mom in the 1960's when she found it doing some gardening in our back yard. Also sentimental.

3. 1974-D quarter in MS condition (66-67 IMHO) I plucked from circulation and placed into a Whitman Album, it has toned nicely, has no flaws I can see.

4. 1963 Proof Franklin contained in an original set I picked up for $10.00. This was acquired shortly after I got back into the hobby in 1998 and shortly after I first read Tomaska's book on 1950-1970 Cameos. The coin is DCAM+ and IMHO would grade a 68. It looked so stunning in the mint cello and even more so after I cut it out of the cello that it triggered my ongoing 6+ year project for assembling a raw set of 1950-1970 cameos.

5. 1957 Proof Franklin, the best of 3 coins I picked up 11-2004 at Santa Clara. I have looked for raw 1957 CAM/DCAM halves for years without luck and stubmled onto three of them last fall. The best of the lot is very clean and IMHO would be a DCAM.

6. 1964 DCAM non AH Kenndy half that I found in an original proof set for $10.00.

7. 1942 Proof Walker that has cameo contrast (light on the obverse and heavy on the reverse).

8. 1936 Proof Buffalo nickel, Satin Finish.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite coin since I have so many favorites. One of my favorites is a 1906 quarter eagle for which ANACS issued a grading photo-certificate in the pre-slab days. Later they used the photo of my coin in the official ANA grading book. When I saw it in the book I called them and they were kind enough to send me a letter on ANA letterhead confirming that this coin was mine.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even in the same ballpark. My favorite coin is a 1917 Type 1 quarter (now worn to G-4 on the right day) which I found in a park in 1964. It is what got me into this whole mess so maybe it shouldn't be my favorite.image

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In all honesty, I cannot come up with my favorite coin. I could, however come up with hundreds that I would sell to buy such a favorite coin.image >>

Do it.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite coin also happens to be my most valuable piece, the 1792 half disme.

imageimage

The coin in #2 position is my 1805 dime. That one is well down the list when it comes to value, but it's the piece that got me hooked on early American type.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Nope

Close, maybe third or fourth favorite
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Favorite:
    Most Valuable:
  • Options
    so far, my favorite coin is the most expensive one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file