Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grades/opinions on this raw 1920 SLQ

FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    What? EF or so. Kinda beat up.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    manlye1manlye1 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    VF-35
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Xf-40 or so, but awful lot of contact marks, hits, scrapes and bangs!
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    ef40 with rim damage
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    ef-40. digi-pic seems a bit weird though.

K S
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Roughly XF-40 in terms of wear, I think. The coin looks rough, banged up and a little funky, though.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Enviro. damage.....otherwise EF40.
  • Options
    No grade... Rim damage.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Rather severe rim damage, and looks "strange" overall. I've never seen a counterfiet SLQ, but I'd look at this one carefully before I bought it.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

<< <i>No grade... Rim damage. >>

There *is* a grade. The question wasn't how PCGS/NGC would grade the coin or whether they would slab it. Perhaps we've become so entrenched with the slabbing mentality that our first thoughts aren't on the grade or the damage on the coin itself but whether or not it will slab. Which is fine if the question was, "How would this particular TPG grade this coin?"...but in the general case, requesting mere opinions on grade, it *does* have a grade (with modifiers for damage).

You can call it something like "XF-40 with damage" or "net VF-20" (or whatever you think it is) and such...either way, there *is* a grade for this coin, whether or not PCGS or NGC would slab it.
  • Options

<< <i>Grades/opinions on this raw 1920 SLQ >>

I gave my opinion.

I grade per NGC and PCGS standards. If it won't slab I say no grade.

<< <i>but in the general case, requesting mere opinions on grade, it *does* have a grade (with modifiers for damage). >>

PCGS does not use modifiers and I see no use to try to just guess a modifier or net grade.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In terms of wear, this coin is an XF all day long, if I can rely on the image. I would stay away from it due to the material rim damage. This is a problem coin, and you don't want these in your collection.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS does not use modifiers and I see no use to try to just guess a modifier or net grade. >>

Well, if PCGS doesn't do it, that's the end-all-be-all, isn't it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file