Options

Please tell me this 1959 Franklin isn't worth thousands, or even hundreds

While I was sitting there twitling my thumbs, somebody hit the BIN for $99.95

imageimage

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    Could be a nice PR-67DCAM worth hundreds!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It's likely that it is not even a cameo.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Who was the seller?
  • Options
    Who was selling it? A few sellers are known for touching of their images a bit. I agree with Cameron, if it does look like that in person, it would almost definetly go DCAM.
  • Options

<< <i>if it does look like that in person >>

It won't.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ must know who sold it. Can you enlighten us Russ?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options

<< <i>Russ must know who sold it. Can you enlighten us Russ?

Cameron Kiefer >>

It's pretty obvious by the image that it's a jwcameo coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    Cameron-

The Price guide lists a PR67-DCAM at $10,000

10 1959 - - 10 15 18 23 29 45 165 -
    10 1959 CA - 14 15 27 92 390 780 1000 5600 -
    10 1959 DC - - - - 2000 4000 5000 10000 20000 30000

I think I like Russ's answer better

But at $100 I think the potential upside far exceeded the downside.

Here is the auction
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>But at $100 I think the potential upside far exceeded the downside. >>

That's what I thought when I BINed this one, (also for $99):

Turned out to be only a cameo, worth about $20:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Still even a Cameo 1959 Franklin lists PR65CAM at $390, PR66CAM at $780 ...

since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>Still even a Cameo 1959 Franklin lists PR65CAM at $390, PR66CAM at $780 ... >>

True. But compare the contrast in the image of the Frankie with the contrast in the image of the Kennedy and it should be obvious that the Frankie isn't a cameo. Note, for example, how silvery the devices appear in the image. This is a dead giveaway.

You did just fine by not plunking down your money.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>The Price guide lists a PR67-DCAM at $10,000 >>

PCGS price guide?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I agree with everything Russ has said. image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    Here is what a Franklin which has real cameo looks like. This one only got a 68 cam at PCGS although it is very close to dcam. Nice even frost on both sides.

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yep, jwcameo and not a cameo.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just about anything looks cameo when you take a photo using a black background.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭
    Cameron,

I'm sure there would be plenty of buyers for a '59 in 67DC at $10k.
  • Options
    Where the heck is Lucy??? I want to know how many BeBopAlooa's it gets...... Then we'll know for sure.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    As soon as I saw the picture I knew who the seller was. I to bought a 65 SMS set and the coins looked great in the picture. But they were not even CLOSE to cameo! Returned them the next day!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Obviously there are mixed opinions about Jeff Werlin on these forums. I have bought and sold with him many times and have had only smooth transactions. But I will say that if he is selling it raw, it probably wouldn't get the grade (meaning CAM & certainly not DCAM) if submitted to PCGS. He knows his CAMs and DCAMs quite well, and wouldn't let a "$10,000" coin go for $100. It might CAM at NGC, but not at PCGS.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    I will also add that I bought a set of 1964 proof coins from Jeff a long time ago - all raw DCAMs - and every one came back from PCGS as a DCAM. He had listed a similar set on Ebay and I got sniped on the auction, so I e-mailed him and asked if he could put together another set, which he did and shipped them out - all great stuff.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is what a Franklin which has real cameo looks like. This one only got a 68 cam at PCGS although it is very close to dcam. Nice even frost on both sides.

image >>

correction, here is a Frankie with cameo contrast!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monstavet
    I think you have it exactly right. I agree.

If it were a $10k coin, it would already be in a PCGS holder.

It is probably a $100 coin - Jeff knows his cameos.
    Nut

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    dude is great with a camera !
    his act is getting a little old,everybody knows he has slabbed coins as well !
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Even if the coin is accurate it is no way...now how...anywhere near a DCAM. I agree it probably isn't even a CAM. Probably photographed with flourescent lighting. I think jwcameo used to post pictures a couple of years back with the coins imaged with both flourescent and incandescent lighting. The flourescent photos always appeared to have more cameo contrast than the incandescent. Having said that...I've bought coins from jwcameo in the past, in fact at least one of the coins in my current Franky PR Registry set came from him. Even beginning Franky Proof collectors know that 1959 is the killer date to get in DCAM. Almost as hard, if not as hard, as 1950. A 67DCAM for 1959 would get chased very hard by lots of deep check books.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    in my opinion, there are three holy grails in the wonderful Franklin half series...

a 1950 in DCAM, a 1959 in DCAM, and last but not least a Mint State 53s in FBL.....

any person that has one of these would surely get it slabb'd.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    in my opinion, there are three holy grails in the wonderful Franklin half series...

That would be the 'holy grail trifecta', I believe. I concur in the substance of the post. Heck...I'd be pretty darn happy to just have ONE of the the three.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Looks like a stock photo to me. I doubt the buyer will receive a coin nearly so nice.
  • Options
    Bow wow Lucy Bop! Nice 56. But I should have shown a 59 since that is what this thread was about. Here is a nice cameo example of a 59. This is what one should look for when chasing a cameo 59.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file