Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

O.K. Lets See Those Really Rare Coin’s !!

2»

Comments

• Options
    I wanna see more CWT.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>1885 $3 ms-62 Pl. Less than 1000 minted. I gont know how many still exist. >>

codhodk, WOW!
  • Options

<< <i>Cratylus, haven’t the big hitters like Tahoe Dale been sitting out on your doorstep? >>

A collector who wishes to remain anonymous recently offered me $15K for the 98-O. Needless to say, the coin is not for sale. I believe Tahoe Dale only collects MS65+ Barbers so my coin would be of no interest to him.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Overton 137 Large letter reverse...R-6...2nd finest of 20 known.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one showed up in today's mail. It's one of about six known.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one's also pretty cool!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    OK, here's a change of pace. This US "colonial" is R7 in copper, and as far as I have been able to determine, is unreported uniface. It's considered a colonial even though the obverse, missing on this coin, is dated 1820.

A couple of remarks about these tokens, which were evidently used in the NW Indian trade in exchange for beaver pelts: virtually all known specimens are holed, as they were worn around the neck like wampum, and virtually all have been recovered from the ground in the NW US and Canada, meaning almost all are are heavily corroded. The coin here is less corroded than most specimens, and has a better strike than many.

The "VF" grade is whimsical, but colonial grading is very, very different than what we're seeing on federal coins & patterns in the rest of this thread and criteria vary from coin type to type.
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Rare. Very rare.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Love that Church Penny.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks ER. It really looks like a proof. There were only 109 proofs minted, so I think they probably just used the same dies to make the other 800 business strikes. The reverse is nearly mark free, but the chatter in the fields on the obverse limits the grade.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    For Bust halve fans here is a 1795/95 O-112

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's the 1807 O.115, an R8 variety,

and some closups of a couple of the features that make it different from the similar O.104

and an overlay of the two obverses

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Very Nice Baley,
    I was wondering when you were going to show up in this thread.

I think TDN and RR are on vacation this week!

O.K. let me look through here are see what I might find to go with your post, I'll be back!
  • Options
    Baley,

Here is the same year as your post but in the Capped version.
    This is the R-6 1807 50/20 O-111 the 2 sticks out just to the top left of the 5 on the reverse, and it has the typical die defect dots above the left wing and below the bottom arrow. This variety is rarer than the more popular 1807 Bearded Goddess version.

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Ok...try thisimageimage

1931 MS66.image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Total Known 125-150

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1804 quarter eagle, the "common" 14 star reverse variety, of which less than 50 are known. This one is in a PCGS AU-50 green label holder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Finest graded of only about 200 known.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1805 half dime. Only one set of dies used to produce the entire mintage. About 125 examples known in all grades. This on is a PCGS VF-35.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

• Options
    Thats a nice coin granddad, what is it exactally? Grade too?
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Here is J-339 an R-6 seated 50C struck in copper.1863 50C PCGS PR63.

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>Thats a nice coin granddad, what is it exactally? Grade too? >>

Scott

Granddad signed off so I'll help you with your question. It is a private gold piece minted by Clark, Gruber & Company of Colorado. Private companies would pop up in the areas where gold was mined so the gold could be assayed and coined locally avoiding the inherent danger of transporting gold to a US Mint facility. In many cases the Mint opened branch mints near the sources of gold ie: Dahlonega, Charlotte, and San Francisco putting the private companies out of business. If you have a copy of the Red Book you can find a complete listing of these companies and pieces they minted near the back.
  • Options
    Thanks fatman, I love these kind of coins.image
    Scott Hopkins

My Ebay!
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mintage 50. Proof Haw. commem. K
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Cardinal .... my favorite coin and one coin collection. K
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB-12, R.7:
    imageimage

BB-26, R.6 (or high R.5):

BB-93, R.6:

BB-110, R.6:
    imageimage

BB-185, R.7

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file