Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATED: what premium would you pay for the color on this coin? And, looking for suggestions on a po

Part 1:

A fellow forum member who owns this coin gave me permission to post it and ask everyone what type of premium they would place on its color.

It resides in an NGC MS64 holder and lists at $185 in the Certified Coin Dealer Newsletter and $282 bid/$310 ask in the CDN. What would YOU pay for such a coin?

Obverse

Reverse

Part 2:

I'm considering (meaning, I might or might NOT be) changing my icon and am looking for your input and suggestions???? Thanksimage

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    $150
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't change your icon!

Back to the coin... while I like the periphery, I think the brown detracts from the coin. Balancing them out, I'd pay around $270-310, maybe, but I'd have to see the color first hand to be sure I'd buy it at all.

Jeremy

EDIT: After seeing that CDN is a lot higher, let's change my price...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Manofcoins.I'd pay a slight premium for that type of toning, but I wouldn't go nuts over it.$300-$325 range and I'd consider it.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭
    The Coin in question.image

• Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    I'll say 300 also.

Scott

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options

If that coin is for sale today, I will mail you a check for $340.

PS - I would get rid of the "coin doctor" image icon and go with something a bit more prestigious, such as your favorite coin in your inventory or collection. Or, you could use an image that references your famous relative, B. Max Mehl.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Assuming I had the cash on hand, I would probably pay in the $400+ range for the coin. The coin seems to be pretty nice, with nice colors not usually seen as often on Peace dollars as other coins. I'm also guessing that the area of the coin from 6-10 o'clock is speckled with the same kind of color, although it's not coming through in the pic. It wouldn't be the first toned Peace dollar that I've overpaid for, anywayimage
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the toning is very unspectacular. No premium.

Leave your icon the same.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That's a $400 Peace Dollar. Note: That's not what I'd pay for it, since I don't collect them. But, I'm pretty sure it would sell for that.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    $350, as long as thats not hairlines on the cheek!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I like the toning, and would be excited around $350-$400 depending on the luster flash.

I thought about possible icons, and I realize you might not have a nice example of one of these to pick from, so I'll be happy to loan you one of mine. Feel free to crop as you see fit. image

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    $401. So far, I win.image

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Can I answer???????

Fine -- deleted image

As for your icon -- leave it alone. It suits you well. image

Michael
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not a common date 22 or 23 or 24, the color if above average nice, if it was my coin i'd hold out for $450.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Can I answer??????? >>

No Michael, you may not. Now, please delete your post!image
  • Options
    I'm at $325 and am outbid again!

Coinguy1 - go for a neat classic coin as an icon. I think of you as a classic kind of guy more than as a mad chemist image
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Mark, if you really want to change your icon, how 'bout a nice seated liberty dollar?
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I would go 10% above ask ($340).
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'd pay a small premium, but not too much of one.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    I agree with Fatman as far as a premium for this coin, I'd go 10-15% above ask - As for your icon, this is the only suitable one in the whole array of icons: image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Don't change your icon Mark, people here are creatures of habit and will always associate you with Poindexter -- like it or not.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    From the picture, it seems that the coin is a high end MS64 (or possibly a shot to 65) so that the premium that I am willing to pay is high provided that I can see the coin in person. The rim color is interesting. It adds some value to tell graders that its surface is original. I don't care the tiny color that much (I know not many nicely toned Peace dollars). Personally, if the coin is updated, I won't pay anything for the color. image If the coin has no chance to upgrade (or it is a solid MS64), I will pay around the ask for it if I want it.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    I have been buying, and studying, color for a few months now, and it seems that there is lots of color around, what is very strange is that the more modern the toned coin the higher the price. Older toned proofs for example can be had very close to their white price, but as we saw last week great modern bullion coins can go many, many, multiples. Peace dollars are hard to find with great color but unless you are a toned type set builder there is no reason to own, one with medium color, and pay much more than the white price. So I would be at $300
  • Options
    In the Superior Auction at Pre=Long Beach, this coin was in the auction. I put a bid in of $285 with a check in the box on my fax form to go 10% higher if needed. So with that in mind plus the 15% juice I would have been willing to pay $360.53 for it. But some other fink won it!
    Specializing in coins with "thin film interference" & "sulfur impregnated surfaces" due to hanging out with "old bags" and "wrappers"
  • Options

<< <i>But some other fink won it! >>

Easy there -- your days of buying toned Peace $ at auction are over! And I'm coming to get that 34-D as well!!! --- the premium on that one is going to be HUGE!

Michael
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I think it would bring a hefty premium and I agree with russ that it would reach $400.

I don't collect these, but I have seen my share - and this is one of the most attractive toned Peace $s I've seen.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I like that peace dollar, but personally I wouldn't pay a big premium for the color. As far as your icon, I think you should keep the one you have! Your responses on this forum always seem so calm, reasoned, and polite- and that little poindexter guy seems to be a very nice cartoon embodiment of those qualities..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'd pay what those other guys paid. nice dollar.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay a premium. Tarnish, I mean toning, is a fad.

Don't change your icon. It suits you well and is quickly identifiable when scrolling a thread.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

85% of what Frattlaw would pay
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that most people consider going over Greysheet ask a "Premium."
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    $675

michael
  • Options

<< <i>Don't change your icon Mark, people here are creatures of habit and will always associate you with Poindexter -- like it or not. >>

That's right... you know I'll always send pointless PMs to Poindexter no matter what image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    $185
    Matt
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet it go for double greysheet bid, easy.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark: First and most importantly DO NOT CHANGE YOUR AUTHOR ICON!!! -- Under penalty of profuse verbal abuse by many forum members!!!

As for the Peace dollar, I would try to purchase the coin near MS-64 Bid and not pay a premium for the rim toning.

It's a premium eye appeal quality coin which is attractive enough that I would consider purchasing it for around Greysheet Bid of $260.

Thanks for sharing this pretty coin with us!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty nice toning but not the break the bank monster type of toning- I agree with the $400 or so. About your icon Mark- I thought that was an actual photo of youimage. mike
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, but I'm thinking something approaching MS65 money. That's a BEAUT!

And by the way, don't change your icon. It becomes you.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>$675

michael >>

from what i can tell, he's the only one who would have outbid me, so far..........(although i don't know what the other Michael did pay for it).

that is one sweet lookin coin!!

icon works fine for me.

z
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    don't pay a premium for toned coins.....

Dennisimage
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly in the $400-450 is a reasonable price on the coin's value.
    What anyone would pay on any given day is debatable. I'd love to buy this for CDN bid or ask too! image Please, ship me a crate of these at $300.

Blue sheet bid for a lousy 65 of this date is $430. That seems reasonable for a PQ eye-appealing 64. That's also about half of the CDN65 price ($800) which also supports a figure in the $400 range.
    The obv on the coin looks very close to 65, the reverse has some chatter on the eagle that appears to negate a 65 shot.

MARK, KEEP YOUR ICON, IT SEEMS TO SUIT YOU AND WE CAN FIND YOUR POSTS MORE EASILY

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Well since this thread has now quietly died I'd figure I'd finally post to it.

I am the purchaser of the coin. As most know, I have been collecting toned MS Peace $ for about 2 years and I have to search high and low to find nicely toned examples of such. After seeing thousands upon thousands of toned Peace $ -- this one certainly fits into the "nicely toned category" not a monster, but very nice by toned Peace $ standards. Therefore the toning would carry some premium.

Secondly, this a 1934, a rather low mintage date for Peace $. Actually the 4th lowest mintage. Finding a 1934 Peace $ with nice toning is extremely difficult. The common dates are rather easy, but the other years are almost non-existent. This is the 3rd toned 1934 that I've owned and the nicest, by far, of the three. That, to me, warrants a nice premium.

While the coin is not a MS65 it is a solid MS64. So no premium there.

As for the price, the coin opened @ $450 to the book. No one else was even close at the auction so I was able to purchase it for $460 + juice + sales tax. Overall I think the coin was roughly $565.00 out the door. Is it alot -- sure. But there's no way I would have owned this coin bidding sheet for it. The seller knew what it was worth. I knew what it was worth.

Common dates with color have sold for $400+ This coin is certainly more rare than that. While I might never get my $565 back, it really doesn't matter since the coin will probably never be resold.

It has occurred to me from reading this thread, that if you want really nice coins sheet just isn't going to cut it most of the time. I have started to realize that and have started to change my collecting style. I'd rather overpay for a beautiful coin, then underpay for an average coin.

Thanks
    Michael

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    Keep your current icon or face the Zipper Dance. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options

<< <i>After seeing thousands upon thousands of toned Peace $ >>

Interesting, and they say toned Peace$ are tough to find. Now I know you're gonna say "Nicely toned" Peace$ are tough which is true. But I'm glad you've found "Thousands" to look through in 2 years time.image

Gotha back dude. Ga-head, get the last word.
  • Options

<< <i>While I might never get my $565 back, it really doesn't matter since the coin will probably never be resold. >>

Please do enter me in your most generous giveaway image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions.

PART 1:
    Based upon the various replies, it appears that the consensus/average value placed on the 1934 $1 by the forum is approximately $350, a bit more than 10% over CDN "ask". I, as a dealer, would probably be willing to buy the coin at roughly a 50% premium or somewhere in the $425 range.

PART 2:
    I will NOT be changing my icon image
  • Options

<< <i>I, as a dealer, would probably be willing to buy the coin at roughly a 50% premium or somewhere in the $425 range. >>

I find this to be a bit interesting. Probably why I rarely sell anything on the BST. Why bother when a few dealers I know are willing to step up for nice coins. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file