Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WINNER ANNOUNCED...GIVEAWAY~1000th Post~Toned 1902-O PCGS MS64 Morgan Dollar

Comments

• Options
    I like shiney round pieces of metal.

Also because my dad got me started collecting and it's a happy memory from back in the stone age [the 60's]

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Numismatics combines art, history, prestige and added value by rarity or precious metal content or a combination of the two. Nothing else even comes close! (comics, sports cards, stamps etc. are all rarity driven only and paper just can't compete with silver and gold when the chips are down!) I can't think of any other collectable that will withstand the "test of times" that coin collecting has proven over the decades and centuries. This coupled by the great people associated with the hobby makes it far and away the most interesting, insightful, and educating hobby for me.
    Joe
    P.S. Congrats on your post milestone, I'm going to have a "small" giveaway for my 500th. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    aesthetically pleasing to the eye, some coins are just seductively attractive
  • Options
    The beauty, and the history...thinking about what someone would be experiencing in the world when the coin was issued.
  • Options
    When my grandfather passed on his collection to me I thought it would be great to finish all the sets that he worked on during his life. The core of his collection was a partial set of Walking Liberty halves he collected from circulation. The enjoyment I got from adding coins to his partially filled Whitman folders hooked me for all time.

There is no greater joy than sorting through a box of coins to find a nice match to your set in progress. That's why I love this hobby: I'm an addict!

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Another reason: I like shiny things. image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    My collecting started when I was received and really looked at my first coin that was older than my father. I would sit and look at it thinking about all that may have touched this coin and what/why did they purchase that resulting in them circulating the coin through our economic system. At the time I did not even know about economics but I did know that one coin could have traveled the world and back during trade/purchase transactions. To view some of the coins and let them give you a view of the past and how we have changed from our fathers and their fathers.

The excitement when you receive a silver dime/quarter and so rare now half in change while looking at the individual making change and knowing that they have no ideal of what they are doing or have done by giving you such a special coin.

Jim Chandler
  • Options
    When can we expect a winner?

Oh yea, just to remind you, its your head if it's not me... image
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    I like collecting coins because of their beauty, rarity(some of them), history and I especially like the hunt for "that certain coin".image

Thanks for the contest.
    Gary
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    I love to collect GSA Morgans because the hard plastic cases won't fit in a slot machine.

Actually it's sometimes a hunt to find "that" coin and it's just a great hobby.

Tom
  • Options
    I enjoy it because it is something that I can pass on to my son. He is 5 and is already an avid collector.
  • Options
    With older circulated coins I love just thinking about all the hands the coin has passed and where it has traveled around... with ms coins I just love the absolute beauty of them, I guess thats what really makes me enjoy this great hobby.

And i like shiny things =)
  • Options
    Because it doesn't destroy my liver like my old hobby, drinking. Seriously, I gave up drinking and use the money I would have spent to buy coins. I find coins to be beautiful and fun, and I have met some pretty great people as a result.
    -John
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    I love the thrill of the hunt of neat, eye appealing coins. When you're working on a particular series and filling up the Dansco, all of the coins that you let pass by because they don't have the look or meet your criteria.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I guess I love the hobby because of the beauty and history that are involved in coins- little pieces of art that have survived the decades and centuries. And it helps take my mind off of stress and chronic pain! Thanks for the giveaway! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    It's a personal challenge to try to assemble sets; but the final result
    is something that can be shared by others and inspire them to collect
    also. It is good to remind yourself how much history some of these
    coins (especially darkside coins) have seen.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    All the great coins I get to see (that I can't afford)....and the great people I get to meet!
    nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...oh, wise guy huh!!!
  • Options
    Because it is the separate world which allows you escape into it sometimes from the reality..
    Because that topic relates a lot of other ones..
    Because the coins just so nice..image
    N. N.
  • Options
    Hi, the reason i enjoy this hobby........ for one all the differant choices out there ,the history behide each coin what was going on in the world when each was was minted ,all the people i have met , maybe 4 that was in it for pure profit, the rest have been polite,helpful in anyway possible,honest( im not sucking up lol ) it has been to me the best stress releiver , help me over come my depression, i have also quite smoking, for 30 yrs i did , the choices again , mint , proof , slabbed what ever it is all interesting to me , for 33 yrs i wanted to collect and only because of a accident am i able to have the time, i am not saying all this to win if i did wow it would be the first , coincollecting is the hobby i enjoy the most , i do have others that i have been doing for decades lol but i will be doing this just as long and the best part i have someone close to me that i can share it with awwwwwwwwwwwe thanks
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I like the history, the hunt and the beauty, both in the designs and toning.

Nice giveaway!

• Options
    I've got this thing for shiny objects. What else can I say.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Some coins are just interesting.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    it is fun and something i can share with my kids, thanks for the chance!
  • Options
    See Sig Lineimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I love to collect because of the history involved in coins and currency. Most of us wernt alive when these coins or currency were minted so it is a direct way to hold a piece of history in our hands. To hold a simple 1858 flying eagle in out hands just think of the history that that little coin has witnesed. Think of all the coins and al the history they have been witness too. Maybe you now in your collection have a coin Robert Oppenhimer(sp) had in his pocket when the first atomic bomb was detonated. Maybe you have a cent that Lincoln held or a Morgan that some president has held in his hand. The history involded in our coins is just so amazing.

I hope that that will suffice for a reason I like to collect coins.

Byron
    Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Please Enter Me!

These little round disks,
    they catch the eye
    when you give them a twist,
    the luster makes you cry

Even a real loner,
    can have a good time
    got me a toner,
    purple red green lime
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    The enjoyment I get when I snipe a Accent Hair Kennedy away from Russ is ALMOST as good as having sex!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I love the history, the art, and the hunt.

MadMonk
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Besides the fact that I've enjoyed collecting since I was a youngster, the main reason was to deviate my thirst for booze, and spend money on something more lucrative (coins) instead of pissing it away...image Thus far, it's been a arduous journey in one hand and a great adventure in the other...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    I like the Great Hobby of Coin Collecting because it makes me think of my grandfather who got me collecting coins at the tender young age of 8. So many wheat cents!!!!
    Thank you for the chance to win a nice Morgan and for reminding me of the many memoirs of my grandfather imageimage

Papabearimage
  • Options
    I love our great hobby because of the history, the artwork and detail that goes into making a coin. I also like to think of who may have used this/that coin. What did it buy?

Also there is all of the folks I have met by collecting. Just a all around wonderful thing for me.
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • Options
    The history, sense of accomplishment, and just being able to spend time doing something you enjoy that is not stressful is why I enjoy the hobby.
  • Options
    Because not only do you get to collect money, but you learn history & you meet some great people!
    Glenn
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭
    Because I like to pay 1000x over face value for something!!!

imageimage

• Options
    Eye candy, thrill of the hunt, History.
    Thanks
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • Options
    My wife says, it's cause I'm a loser.....image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

WOW - that's a nice coin.

What do I like most about this hobby?
    --- The nice people who give away free coins. image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    collecting helps me unwind and it gives me a chance to spend some time with you guys

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    I enjoy this hobby because of being able to appreciate art, geography, and history all in a little piece of metal.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy coin collecting, because of the history involved. When I see and hold a coin from the 1800's, I can only imagine where the coin has been and who could have used that coin to buy a cup of coffee or something like that. My oldest coin is an 1828half cent. Abraham Lincoln was 19 years old. Think who was alive then. I can also imagine what life must have been like then as well. To me it's like holding a small piece of history in my hand.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    The constant whining and crying of S&H, eBay auctions, submission times, wrong grades, other grading companies, AT vs NT, OT's, make the coin community and collecting a real treat! The constant exchange of information on coins is getting more variant everyday and keeps me involved in collecting!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    i like coin collecting because its so much fun to look at all the coins with so much history behind it, you never know who could have been holding the same coin you have.
  • Options
    Why do I enjoy collecting coins - I still remember the first thrill of finding the right coin to fill the empty slot as a child, and being able to share the hobby with my family, and hopefully to be able to share it with my grandchildren when they are old enough to learn more about it.

I like to hold the coin and feel the cold hard metal in my hands and think that this coin, if preserved properly, will go on and on and on - for many more years. I feel an obligation to preserve it properly and worry way too much about what to do about that spot on that old circulated wheatie or Jefferson.
    And like others have said - to wonder where the coin has been - and where it will be - many years from now when I am gone, hopefully, where God's children go! And I hope that the next person who has it will enjoy it as much as myself, and will also take good care of it.

I also enjoy the coin forum and interaction with folks in the hobby - but I also enjoy the alone time I have with my coins - it's a special time - just me and the cold metal in the dark of night while everyone else sleeps. A time to forget the days worries and relax and enjoy filling yet another empty slot. I also consider how really cold and lifeless they can be - not human, that is - but filled with time.

• Options
    Count me in!! Congrats on 1000!!

I enjoy coin collecting because of the history, beauty and ability to complete sets.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about getting personal image

Anyway, when I was younger (around 8 years old) I collected comic books. My grandmother used to get me some from the drugstore she worked in. She collected coins. I started seeing the coins she would trade the till for, for her collection, and got interested.
    She gave me a Peace Dollar from her birth year (1923).
    Neighborhood kid/thief took it, and the ones she gave my mother and brother as well, one day.
    I felt bad, but I kept collecting coins, as well as I could afford, on my own....and, not knowing better, and doing it all without an adult around. I got took a few times from Ron's Coin and Books in yakima, wa....they are still around.

So, I stopped, and later joined the US Army and packed all my stuff up and left it at my mom's.

(Fast forward 17 years later to last year)....I had a son turning 1 year old and also had gotten a lot of my stuff back from my mother...I found some of my old, common, coins. I wanted to do something for my son to grow into and to do with him. I also had just torn my achilles tendon and couldn't do anything physical. So, I was watching late nite TV and saw "Shop at Home".
    I wasn't going to get suckered again, but I did like the coins I saw.

So, I started getting back into the hobby thanks to eBay, Rec.collecting.coins, and local shows I found out about..and some magazines. Then I found this forum.
    I now have proof sets for him (and almost a set for myself), SAE proof set for him (and 1/3 of a set for myself), SAE unc sets for him and myself, and some other coins that I liked for him. And, I have some for myself.

I am currently trying to find some nice lincolns and franklins for him. I kind of want a type set (with more than 1 of any one type) when he get a few years older....and, since his is only 2 right now (on 2/12/04 actually), I want to make sure they are slabbed image

So, in short...I got back into this excellent hobby due to my grandmother (whom regrettably passed away a year too early to see my son) and my son. My mother also collects what she can, so I get her some as well.
    The hobby allows me to do things to make my mom happy with small things, and remember my grandmother in a very good fashion, and to plan for time with my son in the years ahead.

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<why you enjoy this Great Hobby of Coin Collecting so much?>>

Because it is the greatest hobby of all!

After all, if it was good enough for the Kings, that is good enough for me!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who has entered so far.

The drawing will be sometime Monday evening.

Jim
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    JM - Thanks for the chance! I love this hobby mainly because of the history you hold in your hand! Even a 1910 heavily circulated Lincoln cent - My late grandparents may have touched it!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    I enjoy collecting coins because it allows me to meet so many coin dealers, who by nature are outgoing, fair, exciting, vibrant and so gosh darn willing to impart their knowledge upon us regular folk. Thanks for a wonderful giveaway.

tom
  • Options
    Because I am a sociopath.
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file