Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WINNER ANNOUNCED...GIVEAWAY~1000th Post~Toned 1902-O PCGS MS64 Morgan Dollar

Thanks everyone who entered... The Winner Is....

JLW

To make this a little more interesting you must reply to this thread telling us all why you enjoy this Great Hobby of Coin Collecting so much image

The winner will be determined by a random drawing.

Good Luck image

Jim

imageimage
ANA Member R-213302

Comments

• Options
    I enjoy this Great Hobby of ours because of the beauty of the coins, the rarity, value... and also the generosity of some people in the numismatic community, especially a couple people here on this forum! Thx Jim!
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>why you enjoy this Great Hobby of Coin Collecting so much >>

Psychosis.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    First and foremost, it helps me meet a lot of great people. And, It's gotten my grandkids interested in something interesting...
  • Options
    Why do I enjoy this "Great Hobby of Coin Collecting"? What's not to enjoy? The coins are interesting and beautiful. Their are so many different types, each with their own unique character. Then their is the history behind each coin...

That and if I don't win this contest its your head... imageimage
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy this hobby because it gives me a great appreciation for history and (some) art. The people in the hobby also rule image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    i love collecting coins because it is a hobby me and my children can enjoy and it is something that i can pass on to them when my time is up , and it also gives me a chance to meet some real nice people in the coin comunity . thank you
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I actually love collecting, it's more like an itch I can never quite scratch.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    Knowledge. Learning new stuff. Appreciation of art mixed in with raw '80s greed. image
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there aren't too many coin collectors compared to other hobbies. Also I like meeting the people in this hobby and coins are GORGEOUS! Please enter me....thanks image
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    Just what Jeremy said. To look at a well worn coin and wonder where it's been...to marvel at how something so old can look so beautiful (ms condition)
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    I work away from home a lot and can pursue the hobby by visiting the local coin shops wherever I am as well as through the internet. Everybody I have met through the pursuit of coins has been great. image

• Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    I like holding a piece of history and wondering where the coin has been, who had it, what they bought with it and think about the things going on in the world when it was made.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Why? Because of the history involved. Learning about different coins involves learning about different times and different people. Coins are an integral part of mans culture.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because so much history is wrapped around these things.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    What you all said.
  • Options
    i love collecting the most because every coin you hold has a history and it has seen decades of historical events. Some coins could tell you more about the year it was minted than the most extensive history book. Also, meeting and interacting with people has been something new to me and i enjoy it a lot. very generous for you to have this give away, count me in
  • Options
    Because it's fun! image
  • Options
    I enjoy it because there ARE so many reasons it can be enjoyed! You can approach it from so many directions, beauty of the coins, history of the coins, coins from far away places and times gone by, investment. You can put it down and pick it back up years later and no problem (unlike tropical fish, orchids or a marriage) image

The people you can meet are wonderful ... some of the nicest you could ever hope to call friends.

• Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    Are you kiddin'? Just one look at an Ike and I was hooked. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    What I enjoy about coin collecting....

When I see a nice uncirculated WLH, I get the sensation of ICY WIND BLOWING IN FACE AS I NAVIGATE THE SLOP-- no, wait, that is the feeling I get from a York Peppermint Patty.

Seriously, I think our pre-1948 coins are artwork and enjoy looking at them like I enjoy any other fine art. There is also the history element and the wonder as to how a coin from the 18th/19th century could survive the centuries uncirculated.

Above all of this, it is fun. Fun to look at coins at shows, shops and what the heck, even E-bay.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because I have met the most interesting people in this hobby. Put that together with the history, art, and variety and you have one helluva mix!

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the brain buzz you get when you finally get your hands on that luscious coin that you have been looking for forever. And you get to meet a lot of great folks during the hunt.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    because beanie babies suck.
  • Options
    variety ~ the spice of life image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy this hobby on several levels. And they change as I go further in. I think the aspect I enjoy the most is being able to share the enjoyment with others such as you guys here. I sometimes wonder if the comaraderie is cooler than the coins itself at times. But then I look at works of art such as a gorgeous rainbow toned MS-67 morgan or an original color bust dollar or even a stunning modern proof and I realize it is because it is a shared vision we all have.

The madness makes sense to us, when it makes no sense to anyone else. And, what is more, there is history and art and artifacts of bygone eras you can hold in your hands. In what other field can an ordinary person hold a 1900 year old item that cost them $2 and you didn't have to get export visas or keep it in hiding? In what other area can multiple people own the same thing but each one can have its own charm and beauty that makes it special?

Ahh, coins. They are fun on so many levels.
  • Options
    I honestly can't tell you why I love the hobby, it's something that I'm just drawn to. Whatever causes it, I love it, and hate it, because I can't stay away. Plus the people that I meet are great, but that's just an added bonus to the affection.
  • Options
    I like the warm n fuzzy feeling I get when holding that old worn SLQ or WLH in my hands showing it to co-workers.Also knowing that when that ole FE cent circulated it'd by a horse, a cow,a mule,and a 80 lb sack o taters!image
  • Options
    The historical facts and informaition, the pure fascination. I can't fathom the ability to sculpt a single die that pounds out thousands of pieces of art on planchets. No two are exactly alike. I love the perfections and imperfections of machining.
    slurp, smack, droul!

... Not an entrance for a givaway, just what I feel. Don't enter me
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I collect for the fun in itimage and the histryimage
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the hobby because I like the thrill of the hunt and the memories that coins hold for me. I own coins from people who have since passed as well as coins that were purchased during neat phases of my life. Thanks for the excellent giveaway!
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am attracted to the aura of history and antiquity attached to old coins, and the artwork and beauty of the designs of coins both old and new. It's like being an art collector but you get a more conveniently-sized objet d'art... instead of having to haul around huge paintings or big marble sculptures, you've got neat little minature sculptures, which are often genuine relics of bygone eras. You can learn world history, a little economics, and a smattering of Latin and other languages.

PS- congratulations on your milestone. I see you are at 1,001. And that's a helluva generous giveaway. image

Looks like the Darksiders don't have a monopoly on generosity, after all. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy this hobby because of the history involved as well as the aethetic beauty that coins bring.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Jarrett just boiled my answer down to a single sentence. image

It's not surprising, though- a lot of us are in it for the same reasons.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    Coins offer a distraction from workaday life. Plus the right series can be challenging to put together.

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I guess like a lot of people it is the history of coins. To imagine what it was like when the coin was in regular circulation. Like the Morgan dollars my wife and I love westerns and it is interesting to think that many of the western legends used Morgan dollars to buy a beer, a horse or a women (not necessarily in that order). image
    Joe Rookie
  • Options
    The thrill of the hunt and the history of each series and how it evolved
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Over the years, one becomes jaded by what they encounter in life, nothing impresses me like my immediate reaction
    of seeing an incredible coin. Goose bumps arise, and under my breath, I mumur "wow".

Nothing has ever affected me the way this hobby has. I love the pure symbolism the engravers imparted in our designs.

The historical aspect of our coinage translates to a love that endures for the values we hold so dear, freedom of religion and liberty over tyranny.

Every design has its draw, each collector has the right to pass on their collection to the next generation of collectors, as we never really own our coins, we are only the custodians to pass them on.

We exchange view points on what interests us, and our friendships have a common ground, the love of the hobby and the coins there in . Its been called the Hobby of Kings, but we're all Kings in our own right.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Hi Jim,

I could go on and on about why I enjoy collecting... image Actually, I did go on and on... On the main page (and continued on the about page) of my web site, I go into this very issue in depth...

To sum it all up... I enjoy thinking about everything these old coins have seen as they've passed through history... The remarkable beauty they have...

Matt
  • Options
    Because it reminds me of my Dad and because I think coins are beautiful, especially the older stuff.

Besides, I'm way too clumsy to handle stamps...
  • Options
    The coolness of holding a coin over 150 years old and wondering how many times it has been spent,whos pocket it has been in,and the places its been to is almost breathtaking.
    Formely known as kamehameha00
  • Options
    cause I like money
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to collect coins because I derive alot of enjoyment learning about different coin series, the social aspects of the hobby, and the thrill of a good treasure hunt every tiime I visit either a local Coin Store or a Coin Show.

I also appreciate the history, beauty and scarcity of the coins that I collect.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Camraderie, competition, beauty, history, education, knowledge, the thrill of the hunt, there is so much to be had from this great hobby! Thanks for the great giveaway!
  • Options

<< <i> >>

good reason,dizzlecc
    Formely known as kamehameha00
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Because of coins like these ...

imageimage

imageimage
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the hobby first and foremost because it is a fun education.

The second reason it makes sense is that at the end of the day my money still has some value (plus or minus is debatable). Unlike other hobbies where at the end of the day you have nothing of real value only memories and experiences.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    It's something that I can do without screwing up my knees anymore than what they are.
    Seriously, like all my collections, I enjoy the hunt.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Fantastic giveaway Mr. JMoore.

What do I like about this hobby?

Just Being online with you people and getting the skinny on anything you want to get
    the skinny on and much more.
    And just feelin` the love. Love of the people like you that can find it in themselves to literally
    share some of the magic that is this hobby.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one reason:

Numismatics....there is no substitute.

Tbig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file