Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why Are there NO "ANACONDA" or "GSAGUY" Type Morgans in ANACS Holders?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why is it almost all real killer and colorful Rainbow Morgans are in PCGS and NGC holders? I even saw a nice run of these in PCI holders (most, flipped-in-holder, with the reverse Rainbow featured on top) at the last Long Beach convention, but have yet to ever come across one in an ANACS holder? ANACS is somewhat respected overall, so why no real monster rainbows?

There are some pretty coins in ANACS, but it occured to me today, I don't think I've seen, ever, an ANACONDA type Morgan with ANACS.

peacockcoins

Comments

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braddick, I don't like to label coins to people's name.... but ask and you shall receive. I'll call this a "STMAN" Morgan in a ANACS holder graded MS65. Bought it at a show of about 125 tables a couple weeks ago.
    Just my simple scan, but you probably get the idea.

BTW, I think this matches up to the kind you are talking about.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Gorgeous stman!image Uhhhh...... would it happen to be for sale?image
    Puff, thanks for the good words. But if or when it ever comes up for sale.... unlike other folks it won't be posted here it will either be in the BST where it belongs or offered to the "right" person.image

• << <i>Braddick, I don't like to label coins to people's name.... but ask and you shall receive. I'll call this a "STMAN" Morgan in a ANACS holder graded MS65. Bought it at a show of about 125 tables a couple weeks ago.
    Just my simple scan, but you probably get the idea. >>

image THAT is a NICE coin - and the scans not bad either - How'd you do the scan? I just bought a couple of nice toned Morgans & I'm having a heck of a time capturing the real colors.
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist

• << <i>Puff, thanks for the good words. But if or when it ever comes up for sale.... unlike other folks it won't be posted here it will either be in the BST where it belongs or offered to the "right" person.image >>

Do people post coins here in the coin forum for sale!imageimage
  • stman,

Let me take that ANACS dog off your hands before it keeps you awake all night barking at the moon.

Your Buddy,

Mikey
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
    Mike, had I not bought that "Dog" at the recent San Jose show.... it probably would have ended up in your case at Long Beach. But hey I've said this before... I'm really just a "HOE" and anything can be for sale. Except this guy.image He appreciates me.

• Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The best I could do was find you an Anaconda Morgan in an ICG holder:
    For pretty ANACS Morgs you need Mike Billy.
    Most dealers put them in holders where the $$$ is @.

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    Hey yeah.... "Textile."
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    hmmmm..... stman loves those fingerprints!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    <<<Hey yeah.... "Textile.">>>
    "Reptile"
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    nice edit dog, the Cats were gonna think you called me a reptile!!!

in the doghouse again!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Maybe ANACS is not as experienced with AT detection as PCGS and NGC. Im not a raw toned coin submitter so just throwing this out there. image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stman, leave it to you to prove me wrong, and prove me wrong you did! That is absolutely stunning and exactly what I was talking about. Your Morgan is (now) the first I've seen that striking with true colors in an ANACS holder. I'm sure, the little I know you, it'll stay put, right where it is, without you seeking the crossover game. Excellent. Hey. If anything, this thread brought your coin out of the safe. Thanks for sharing it.

peacockcoins

you Cats better hope the Kitty doesn't enter the Morgan areana!!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    Thanks Braddick. But you know what?

<< <i> I'm sure, the little I know you, it'll stay put, right where it is, without you seeking the crossover game. Excellent. Hey. If anything, this thread brought your coin out of the safe. >>

I am finally gonna play the game with this one. It's in Long Beach as we speak looking for a new tomb. Not sure why as you know I never play the game even if I have high end pieces that would probably upgrade. But just for fun I thought I'd give this one a shot. I don't think it will upgrade.... but hopefully it will cross. If I was real serious I would have cracked it but left it in the holder.

<< <i>you Cats better hope the Kitty doesn't enter the Morgan areana!!!!! >>

Lucy... Morgan's are man style. Stick with your Franklin's. You CAN"T compete in this area.image
    You better watch it.....

Some of the top Frankie collectors will tell you I single handily drove up the prices of the GEMs......

Those knock out Morgies could really skyrocket!!!!

Cause the Kitty digs the Color.......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    image Is there no civilization?

Ok... (deep breaths...) Please tell me you have it in with NGC for the STAR and really, possible upgrade.
    That Morgan deserve white bordering it to show off the colors.

peacockcoins

My MS67 NGC Star doesn't have color, but its frosty...

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

<< <i> Lucy... Morgan's are man style. Stick with your Franklin's. You CAN"T compete in this area.image >>

Excuse me? image
    It is indeed going to NGC. To cross at same grade or they leave it as is I guess. Will they still upgrade if it warrants it? I don't see no 66 on this. I feel by the old school grading it's a 64+++ on the technical aspects. But for these days, it's a sharp strike for the year and mint, proof-like obverse, and nice luster. I'm not sure why I'm trying to cross it, because I've thought about getting one of those Capitol Plastics holders with the different types of toning that Gsaguy has and put this in it. So why I send it to Long Beach is beyond me.image

<< <i>

<< <i> Lucy... Morgan's are man style. Stick with your Franklin's. You CAN"T compete in this area.image >>

Excuse me? image >>

OOOOps... sorry.image
    stman, I gonna step up to the plate and show you, 'I have a pair'......

heh heh......

The HepKitty will give away a NGC Color Morgan with a gorgeous Orange Reverse... to some lucky board member....

To promote this series...... and to share.... HepKitty style!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    Sounds good. GSAGUY's got the fortitude I lack. I could never crack out a multi-thousand dollar, monster toned PCGS MS67+ and place it into a Capital Holder. I admire him for doing so and understand his logic. No one really needs to see a label from a grading service with a "grade" on it. It's a non-issue with this kind of color quality.

I tell the story of going to Long Beach, oh, it was probably three shows ago, with my wife Elizabeth, and spending the better part of an hour looking at Bryan's stash. Each was more spectacular than the last- and each was housed in a Capital Holder. Lovely, beautiful coins. It made looking at coins at the rest of the show pale in comparision. In fact, I told him later in the day, looking at his Morgans and then viewing coins in other Dealers cases is like going to a Five Star steak house followed by a tour of Denny's. You get my drift.

Yours fits right up there with many of his.

peacockcoins

That's nice of you Lucy. I'm not a nice guy though. I just bought a Morgan with a orange obverse today. I don't think you need to promote Morgans though. They've always been popular. I gave a few things away and the people couldn't even let me know they received it. So no more mister nice guy for me.
    No, Morgans don't need my help... But I enjoy it...

I'll promote the goodness of this Board, and the fine people here, even those grumpy ol Morgan Heads!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    Last year at this time the Long Beach show I met Gsaguy and seen his stash. The best I've ever seen. I really like those 78cc end-rollers, and I'm not really an end-roller type of guy. They look like glass sitting in those holders. I agree, after spending quite a bit of time at his table... it makes looking at all the other Morgans around just average.

<< <i>That's nice of you Lucy. I'm not a nice guy though. I just bought a Morgan with a orange obverse today. I don't think you need to promote Morgans though. They've always been popular. I gave a few things away and the people couldn't even let me know they received it. So no more mister nice guy for me. >>

stman, that crusty exterior of yours is cracking and we're getting a glimpse of the real you.image

peacockcoins

stman is a big softy....

where do these cats get this grumpy bit???

Ol Dragon, another softy! He claimed to be grumpy also.....

and Dog97, all bark and no bite..

heh heh.......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"

<< <i>stman is a big softy.... >>

Yeah BUT... oh never mind.
    I kind of blew my cover on this one. LOL Text
  • i know it does evrything else, but does ANACS slab A/T coins?(pardon the stupidity)image
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    To the original question, I've seen quite a few of these "types" of Morgans in ANACS holders.
    I think they get put in ngc or pcgs holders for the market acceptance factor. Most of the time, the grade can be a sidebar with the fantastically toned examples.

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • My Icon Coin is (Hopefully soon to be was, it's at NGC now) in an ANACS holder.
    <-------------------------------------------
    ANA Member R-213302
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I wouldn't send rainbows to ANACS. No personal experience, but I've heard people allude to the fact that ANACS downgrades coins with tone.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Why Are there NO "ANACONDA" or "GSAGUY" Type Morgans in ANACS Holders?

I sold a nice ANACS toned CC Morgan to gsaguy before he seemed to like it, also I seem to remember seeing anaconda sell an ANACS graded toned Morgan a year or two ago. They do exist just not a lot of them around, probably just holder bias since the coins will generally fetch more in NGC/PCGS holders.

• << <i>probably just holder bias >>

BINGO !!
  • ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't send rainbows to ANACS. No personal experience, but I've heard people allude to the fact that ANACS downgrades coins with tone. >>

Not true!!!!! ANACS will reward nice toning just like PCGS or NGC.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • the two reasons i like anacs coins less than pcgs and ngc coins is:

1) market acceptance is lower for anacs coins as opposed to the others and

2) the holders are too small - they don't fit nicely into an ngc box
  • Let us not forget what a great victory it was for the famous Roanoke commem to make it out of an Anacs holder and into an NGC holder.

It implied more legitimacy for the toning in the minds of many-- and the pocket books of some.

Let's face it, getting your toned coins in holders by one of the two top tier grading companies amounts to almost an "anointing." Whether that be good or bad--it's just the way it is.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Andy Kimmel had a 1881-s in ms-68 anacs holder that would knock your socks off. He sold it at FUN, but more interesting was the story of how that coin has existed and been passed around for years. I know ArtR saw this coin and maybe a few others. Andy owned this coin originally and it had made its way back to him at FUN. Then it got sold again.

TD
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Three of the coins in my "A" box of toned dollars are in ANACS holders. They include lot 581 from the Goldbergs sale of September, 2002, in case anyone would like to view it or post it here. That coin was described by its consignor, a well known toned dollar dealer, as the most beautiful such coin he's seen. (And, that was after, not before, the sale.) The other two would be competitive to almost any other holdered toned dollars around. If you'd like to view them, provide me your email address and I'll be glad to send a scan along.

My experience is that ANACS toned dollars graded MS66 and 67 can be very nice coins indeed. However, MS65 pieces usually are more baggy than one has come to expect from pCGS and NGC in this grade.

Probably the reason that so few gem toned dollars are seen in ANACS holders is that they have for the most part been crossed over to PCGS and NGC.
  • ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably the reason that so few gem toned dollars are seen in ANACS holders is that they have for the most part been crossed over to PCGS and NGC. >>

You can also add PCI to that list!!!!! Many of the great toned dollars that showed up in PCI holders in the last couple of years were originally in ANACS holders.

If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can ANACS coins be removed from the holders and spent?

Or would the "legitimacy" factor cause the secret service to be called?

"We have met the enemy and he is us"......Pogo

• islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Thread on NGC high prob AT commem

Above thread somewhat related image
    YCCTidewater.com
    The great PCI toned dollars that I've seen recently, one of which I purchased, were labelled "T.Cork Estate." Moreover, they had that telltale attractive yellow toning around the borders, an indication to me that these particular coins were formerly in NGC holders.
  • GEMTONE

The coins from T Cork's collection are fairly nice. I met this person at the TNA show last May and he had 3 cases full of these coins. He bought most at the price a white coin was sold for. He told me he has been buying them for 20 years. I know of a good many true monsters that he has and has sold recently. Nice coins.
    JB:
    At the time Tom Cork had those PCI toned dollars in Baltimore, he also had for sale that PCGS66 DMPL toned dollar that Mike DeFalco showed here recently. I passed on that coin, because the coin I did buy was more attractive at one-sixth the price.
    Gemtone65, I'm sure I have an image of your coin somewhere. But if you would like to email it to me I'd be glad to post it for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file