Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm buying this from Pinnacle

MS64B in an old NGC holder. I'm wondering if I have this reslabbed do I get the 10 year gaurantee for the price of a reslab? I just got done checking auction prices and it's not a bad deal at all ($470 ppd) and on approval.

Comments

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about a die crack! Nice coin 007 image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no copper expert, but that coin sure looks nice. I especially like the cool die cracks...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Nice coin, Jim. That really seems like a great deal, a coin in that state of preservation for that price. Way to go.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Great coin Jim. Looks like it has some nice luster, which is rare on early large cents. Pinnacle is great to deal with. Mark.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • A nice Randall hoard coin.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice one. Got this NGC 63BN for $260 at Long Beach a couple years ago.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could afford those- PRETTY COIN! Also, that die crack is just calling my name... but you answered the door imageimage
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a keeper, and I sold my copper. I like that die crack!!! That alone makes it!
    I brake for ear bars.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    imo, $470 is top-dollar for that coin. you should be able to get a randall coin w/ significant red on it at that price. personally, i'd pass

K S
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    What exactly is "the 10 year guarantee," for us unknowing?

BTW, I think it looks like a lustrous and desirable specimen, although I cannot debate its value.

Does anybody give any credence to Scott Travers supposition that 90% of red copper (with some age of course) is more likely than not recolored?
    Gilbert
  • Great coin pick up. I have always loved coppers.
    Glenn
  • Dork,
    Check Heritage auction prices it's in the ball park (even less than some) your living in the past. I'd like to get it for less. Wake yourself up, your dreaming.
    Gilbert,
    NGC has stated they'll guarantee copper in their latest generation holder. I was just wonder to they reslab and give the guarantee or must it go through an evaluation process.
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Nice coin. I love coronet head large cents. Their old and underpriced.

And, you bought it from Pinnacle, a good company.
  • One more point. comparing the 1818 to the 1820.
    Total Pop pcgs/ngc. ms64/better
    1818 1820
    b 77/9 211/233
    rb 69/7 144/141
    r 3/0 12/7

nearly impossible to find an 1818 better than ms64. I was told this coin has considerable red for a brown coin. I think the price is fair.
    no way, jimmy-bop. if your looking at auction records for guidance, your screwing yourself.

i bought a anacs ms-63-RB 1818 large cent less that 6 months ago for $325 off the bourse floor. it actually was ms-64, but it had a mint-made rim-clip (which is why i bought it)

K S
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too, especially like the die cracks. I am especially fond of the 1818 date for no other reason than that was the date of the first large cent that I ever owned, I scrubbed-copper F example that I still enjoy despite its many problems.

AgentTim, though I no longer collect early copper, I expect that the population figues you quoted probably underestimate the number of specimens that exist. The EACers I used to converse with did not believe in slabbinbg their coins!
  • Hi Double-Oh-Seven! The price doesn't seem terribly high to me. Here is an 1818 Randall Hoard coin with substantial red on it, and we have it priced at $450.

It's a question of better detail and surfaces which your coin has versus more red color, which our coin has. I like the one you're buying!

Cheers!

- jadecoins
  • From 30+ years I have learned the price is not near as important as the coin. This appears to be a nice original coin priced at retail.
    Not everything can be bought for cheap..................
    Rusty
  • Nice looking coin. What does the B in the grade refer to?....Ken
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    jadecoin,

Is that one of your "repair" jobs?

Russ, NCNE
  • Hi Russ. The coin is 100% original. We disclose all known problems (repairs, cleaning, etc.) with any coin we sell.

- jade
  • I fully agree with billiardmaster. If the coin jumps out at you and is near the right price, buy it. The illusion that this stuff can be turned into a commodity because of slabbing is the worst circumstance currently facing collectors. It becomes "the emperor's new clothes"; a bunch of guys playing some machismo game based on someone's observation that the emperor's got great clothes. Meanwhile the rest of us dodge the fallout and have to live with the absurdities.
    yeah, you're right. even though i think you could get this same coin quite a bit cheaper, the bottom line is:

if you like it, really really like it, the price does not matter

of course, make sure you see it in-hand 1st

K S
  • Wow,you guys been busy.
    The B is for brown whoever asked.
    Dork your 1818 (and 1820) pops open way up at MS63. rim clip adds no value except to you.
    Also Dork auction prices are a fair estimate of value, there are fewer deals walking the floor you can find them when you as old and wise as you are, but I'm not ( well probably older but not wiser).
    maybe pops are not completely accurate because copper boys don't slab but they make an excellent sample population and I suspect few gem 1818 exist based on this sample population.
    This coin appears to have the look I like and I'm willing to pay his asking price.
    No one has answered my main question will I be able to have this reslabbed into the new 10 year guarantee holder with or without some cost of an evaluation.

<< <i>Dork your 1818 (and 1820) pops open way up at MS63. rim clip adds no value except to you. Also Dork auction prices are a fair estimate of value, there are fewer deals walking the floor you can find them when you as old and wise as you are, but I'm not ( well probably older but not wiser). >>

alright, jim-bob, now your asking for it. i gotta slam you big-time, so lemme put it this way, buster: ain't no way no how, are you gonna be older than me image

stick that in your pipe & suck on it

K S
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Here's another of the Randall hoard. This one is an ANACS AU-53 which I purchased in a Heritage Internet auction for about $150 with juice. It's a beautiful chocolate brown. It's a little lighter in the pic than in real life.
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    The Randall hoard coins is one of the coins I talk about when trying to find nice examples. The 1818 and 1820 dated ones seem to be very plentiful (about 50,000 if I remember correctly). I would classify them in the same league as a 1881-S Morgan or a 1938-D Buffalo Nickel in that they are the most affordable for the type. Beautiful coins. Mine, I picked up last year at the Long Beach show. It is in a PCGS MS-63BN holder and it just glissens with luster. Only the barest hint of a red tinge.

Tom
    Tom

• More Randall coins for you to peruse (all raw, all sold):

MS-64 RB

MS-65 BR

MS-66 RB

AU-55 BR

MS-61 BR

MS-64 BN

MS-65 RB

and my all-time favorite:

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1818 & 1820 are the most common, with the crack encircling the stars (the N-13 re the 1820, forget what it is on the 1818) They are typically well struck and not expensive for the grade compared with other Coronet Head Large Cents.

Look closely re spotting re copper & for contact marks on Miss Liberty's face and neck.

The NGC guarantee applies only to recently graded copper, so I'd find out when this coin was originally slabbed.

With the contantly changing standards re color designation, make sure the coin has at least 25% of original mint RD if you plan on paying RB prices for old copper.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    agentjim007- that's a great looking coin! These are one of my favorites along with the great story behind them! The only drawback of owning one of these coins is that everybody will want to buy it from youimage Here's a picture of mine. mike
    • I would classify them in the same league as a 1881-S Morgan or a 1938-D Buffalo Nickel in that they are the most affordable for the type.

I don't agree with this statement. EVERY auction has 1881-s Morgans and almost every one has 1938-d 5c but you don't see unc Randalls in every auction fewer and fewer as a matter of fact. I've been looking. I just had to return one to B&M. Cataloged as UNC. someone tried to remone carbon spots with a pin. If you drew a circle on an etch-a-scetch and tried to file in the circle thats what several areas looked like, I'm gun shy of raw.
    • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
      Agentjim007 - No they are not EVERYWHERE, but they are far more prevalent than say a 1821 large cent. If someone wanted an early Coronet Large Cent for a type coin, I would steer them towards a Randall hoard one. Far, far cheaper than a non-Randall hoard one. Look at how many folks on this thread alone showed pictures of one. Ask them to do that to a non-Randall hoard and I'm sure there would be fewer pictures.

Tom
      Tom

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
      All I know is that image from Pinnacle sure hints at great eye appeal. And it is a coin I would spend the money on.
    • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
      agentjim: You new cent looks closer to a MS-65BN. It does appear to have some toning spots whch may prevent that grade.

It is an extremely likeable coin and very PQ for the assigned grade NGC gave it although it does look more Brown than RB.

I think you will forget the price paid long after you and others still enjoy the quality of that coin. It looks to be a keeper.

So what if you paid an extra $50 or $100 tops? You won't regret it.
      A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    • I like it too! It's in much better condition than me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file