Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How large is your collection?

Just curious to see if I rank where I supsect I do when it comes to volume. Are you a "20-30 fine specimens" collector, or a "hoard them all" collector?

How many coins are in your collection? If you're a dealer, please exclude your sales inventory from your personal collection. And for the dealers, how many coins are in your sales inventory?
dwood

"France said this week they need more evidence to convince them Saddam is a threat. Yeah, last time France asked for more evidence it came rollin thru Paris with a German Flag on it." -Dave Letterman

Comments

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    I'm stuck somewhere between dealer and collector and would say I've got, maybe 6 coins that are (nearly) untouchable. I have about 35 others which I would consider to be inventory.
  • Options
    Hard core collection about 70-80 coins. The rest is accumulated stuff that I liked mainly because of pretty toning. Then there is a smattering of left-overs from busted up mint sets.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally consider every coin (ever made) to be part of my extended collection, the current owners just don't know it yet and since I can't yet afford them all, I've yet to call much attention to this strategy, until now.
  • Options
    Lanlord,
    The truth is out. Prices on EVERYTHING just rose slightly. Curse you!
    dwood

"France said this week they need more evidence to convince them Saddam is a threat. Yeah, last time France asked for more evidence it came rollin thru Paris with a German Flag on it." -Dave Letterman
  • Options
    I was an accumulator for several years. A few months back I finally started getting rid of all of my junk...I'm now down to just over 100 coins.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    More than I think I have, but less than I want. image

Actually, I used to have quite a bit of this and that, in addition to what I was collecting primarily, but this being my third rendition of a "coin collection," it is sometimes a little disheartening how disciplined I have become.

I may never acquire the collection I desire.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I confess. I'm a hole filler. While I have a group of pricey coins, I also have a number of completed albums of low/midgrade circulated coins. On occasion, I've thought of getting rid of them, but why? They're not worth a lot, but they're still a piece of history.
  • Options
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    Just an earthbound misfit,
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    I hate it when I get interrupted....image

New Collector:

10 slabbed (ASE ms69 - 8 in registry...a work in progress)

30 SAE in airtites

six Morgans in airtites ( one 1883 cc that was cleaned, but sold that way, and I wanted it anyway)

10 or so various other coins in flips and mint issue plastic holders

Around 46 coins I say give or take a token.......Oh yes....And a very big GUN if anyone trys to come and take them

imageimageimage
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere around 50 coins.
    LabLover
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Okay,

Get out something to wipe yopur eyes..This is my sad story.

My dad and I began collecting coins in 1958. We were visiting my old home (Sioux Falls, S.D.) I was eight. This friend of mine was collecting Indian Head Pennies and I couldn't believe how neat they were. Two days later I go to the Drug store and get an Indian Head penny in change... I was hooked and, My dad was hooked.

When he died in 1977 my stepmother sold all his (and my) coins to the attorney that handled the estate (A small estate) and didn't offer them to me. I didn't find out until much later. It was 19 years of collecting... all kinds of Whitmans and 10 proof sets per year for 19 years.

I was soured on collecting and didn't start again until I saw an SAE Proof...Just magnificent.

I've been hooked (My wife says sick) for over two years now. I have a full set of PCGS $2 1/2 Indians. A full set of Platinum proofs and working on the Silver Eagle Proofs. I also have a couple of Seated dime proofs and mint rolls of Kennedy's I've picked up here and there.

Just having fun!
  • Options
    Abes neighbor:

I think I would have wanted to collect that lawyers head.image

Yes, if there were a Emotion icon for crying you would be seeing it.
    Travis

--------
    Howdy from Houston...

Can't keep my eyes
    from the circling skies
    Tongue tied and twisted
    I

">my registry set

• Options
    The collection I have now is fairly small. I am working on a U.S. type set with a minimum of $50 paid for each specimen. I have 10 or so pieces so far. In addition, I am filling Whitman folders with avg. circulated stuff. I also have a lot of Korean coins.
    The collection I sold two years ago to help finance a daughter's college education was much more extensive. The type set was complete for Copper, nickel, and silver types from 1834 on, as well as a few earlier half cents and large cents. Also had a couple small denomination gold pieces. All were in F or better. For my general collection I had a complete date set of Barber Dimes, Mercs, and a complete Unc. and Proof set of Roosies. Scads of everything else: Buff nicks, Standing quarters, Indian & Lincoln cents, etc. Also had almost complete proof singles for all denominations from 1956 on. Throw in a scattering of Civil War tokens, Silver Eagles, Commemoratives, errors, and Dark Side stuff, it was all pretty substancial. 10 years of maniacal coin collecting! But, that's all gone now, and my collecting behavior is much more reserved and deliberate.
    Trying to put together a U.S. type set
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    huge.

K S
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I've got about 100 slabs, about 250 in 2x2s, about 200 in whitman folders, about 1000 in tubes. Not counting proof sets, mint sets, and SAEs, etc.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to my database I have 508 coins. image

jom
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My active collection includes 14 gold coins. I hope to have a total of 22-28 gold coins in the next two-three years. I am actively collecting a New Orleans decade set (one gold coin from each decade-eight coins) and a Carson City decade set (one CC coin of each denomination from each decade-nine coins). Allowing for redundancy, 25 coins might be the right amount. Once I complete these two minisets, I am not sure whether I will try to upgrade the coins within each set (by going for scarcer coins), extend the New Orleans to include each type from each decade (that could get very expensive, ie. 1879), or pursue a No Motto set of New Orleans Eagles. So much to do, so little time (and money!).

I have an accumulation of several hundred coins, most of which were given to me/inherited (including four generic date gold coins), perhaps 25 of which were purchased by me as an adult. I will be happy to give these large cents, bust halves, and Morgans to my son when he is old enough to appreciate them.
  • Options
    My personal collection has a pathetic six cheap coins in it - and I'm a dealer! image

jadecoin
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my collection?
    larger than it was, smaller than it will be!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I own every Lincoln cent ever made.

Well, that's what my wife says, anyway. I actually own an insignificant fraction of them....but more than any single bank in this area.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I've sold off about ½ my stuff the last several years, mostly junky Morgans.
    Coin Elite says 521.
    About 100 1897 & 1997 slabs.
    About 100 1997 mint errors.
    About 200 nicer Morgans.
    About 100 misc.
    Had to get one of the biggest safe deposit boxes my bank has.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Lets see, complete Lincolns, Jeffersons, all clad quarters, dimes, and halfs, Ikes, Sbas, and sacs. And a CNS Type set 1793 to date 3/4 complete. Cant forget the frankies either in MS64 & up, need 6 more. Oh and the proof and mint serts and junk box and a roll set of state quarters.

Yeah I have a lot of coinsimage

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both. The quality pieces constitute the bulk of my core set. And I have impulse purchases which number a couple of hundred coins that are common, but are original, and have outstanding eye appeal. I have taken those coins which average from about $5-$40 each and put them in an old cigar tin. When I open up the tin to show off coins to others I have almost every denomination in varying grades that amazes non collectors, and looks extremely cool all mixed up by the handfuls.

Tyler
  • Options
    Without rolls or junk about 40 coins, around 15 slabbed the other 25 in 2x2's. I dont think its bad for collecting for about 6 months. (5 coins a month) With junk and rolls easily over 2,000. image
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Depends on how you define "fine specimen." I have about 5 coins that I would consider "fine specimens," as well as about 15 other pretty nice coins, as well as a bunch of circulated coins, proof sets, bullion, and that is just for US coins. I have many nice darkside coins as well.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    According to my Coin Elite database, 2051 but the top 100 or so coin probably make up 80% of the total value. I have just started(within the last two years) to get rid of the bulk to collect the quality.
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I have a 13 coin collection. (Isn't that unlucky?) A registry Morgan CC set of, which I currently have 12. Working on the 1889-cc. I will upgrade, but this will remain the extant of my collection. For now.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    3218 certified coins .

1733 PCGS
    1122 NGC
    363 ANACS

78 % pre 1964.
    22 % modern.

Brian.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuse me while I whip this out...
    -the new sheriff in Blazing Saddles

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    My main US collection is 1025 complete out of 1292 needed (up to 2003). My World Coin birth year set has about another 50 or so out of ???? My US type set has another xx number of coins in it. Then there is the 'stuff'.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    lol!! lets just say it would take several of you to carry it and several could stand in my safe.

eek!! it really getting close to selling time.
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100+ Different type coins
    Proof sets 1950 to date
    26 different gold type coins + some odds and ends
    Complete set $2.50 Indians
    50 piece "old" commemortive type set
    All modern commemorative coin sets that include at least one gold coin.
    400 to 500 tokens and medals.

After 40 years of collecting, most of it serious, you can end up with a lot of stuff.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Currently...

512 raw coins, 86 proof sets, 184 slabs (75% PCGS/ 20% NGC / 5% other) plus 103 PCGS coins in my registry sets.

My goal...

50 raw coins, 45 proof sets, 25 slabs (that I like) and about 225 PCGS coins in my registry sets (100 of those will be statehood 25c proofs, the rest type sets).

But I'm sure I'll complete my statehood 25c in 2008 before I finish my Complete type set image

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    If you're a dealer, please exclude your sales inventory from your personal collection

Wait a minute!! Since when do dealers collect coins?!!! image
  • Options
    Got 106 slabs, mostly flying eagles and indian cents,but hunting for more.
  • Options
    I'm with Dorkkarl, Huge! In excess of 10,000 pieces but probably less than 13,000 and that doesn't include any bulk material.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    About 50 slabs, mostly ANACS.........and about 200 raw. I even admit to having 1 PCI, 1 ACG and 1 IGC.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    I'm somewhere between condor101 and coppercoins in volume, but probably nowhere near them in value.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file