Home U.S. Coin Forum

Shout out to PCGS - New provenance

Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in June I emailed someone from PCGS and stated that I had acquired a few pieces from a famous collector, Henry Hilgard. In the email I laid out a case as to why I believed he should be recognized on PCGS labels. He agreed!

The coins were purchased raw, directly from Henry, by @habaraca at the ANA in 2010. They have been raw and in a Kraft envelope for probably 50 years.

Henry was most famous for his knowledge and collection of errors including a draped bust $5 gold piece, several full brockages of early coins and many cool off center/double struck bust halves. Henry also had 440 of the 450 Overton varieties.

After I received the coins back from PCGS, I emailed Sheridan Downey, who was a close friend to Henry, and let him know as I thought it would be a bright spot among some other not so fun things going on.

His response perfectly states why remembering provenance is important in numismatics:

Oh my gosh. I never would have guessed. Henry assembled a capped bust collection of over 440 die marriages, nearly all with nice surfaces. Most graded XF or AU. He did not chase UNCs; he would have had no interest in participating PCGS' registry set competition. Henry was loved and respected by all: not so much for the quality of his coins as for his knowledge, wit, kindness and willingness to share his thoughts and information. He was a true Renaissance man, willing and able to converse at any level on a variety of subjects - medicine, biology, politics and religion, as well as numismatics. You probably know that he held a hat full of academic degrees, including an MD and PhD, from such notable institutions Harvard, Stanford and the Univ. of Minnesota.

When his mentor, Elton Dosier, died in 1997 Henry's interest in collecting bust halves waned. His first love was always major mint errors. Henry gradually parted with most of his coins over the next few years. He had no trouble finding buyers. His BHNC friends knew that a "Hilgard" provenance equated with a no-problem coin.

So congratulations to you - and PCGS - for memorializing a wonderful man and astute numismatist.

Kind regards,
Sheridan

While the coins were never set pieces or of any major importance, they are important to me, the bust half community and are the only two with his name!

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

Comments

• Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

Can I get the Paulsack provenance on my 1807 and 1819 :D

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’re a classy gentlemen and a hell of a collector for going this extra mile.

Provenance has never meant anything to me, but I do recognize the emotions, feelings, and respect behind it. I also get a strong feeling in my gut that somewhere Mr. Hilgard is smiling, maybe a tear of joy in his spirit’s eye, knowing that his legacy is a little bit stronger today then it was the day before. And you made that smile! 👍🏻

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Very cool!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is great that you do his legacy honor.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davidk7 said:
    Can I get the Paulsack provenance on my 1807 and 1819 :D

If you email PCGS and ask for “Paulsack” and get it, I’ll give you my next paycheck.

Anyone that knew him and would like to share a story is welcome to! Thank you @RichieURich for sharing.

@BustDMs your BHNC number is in the single digits I think. I’m sure you have one.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, @Pnies20 for your dedication and for your post. You contribute greatly to the forum and to the hobby.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update Paul. It's great that you decided to go for it, and that you convinced PCGS to follow the path you laid out. Kudo's to both of you for that.

And I really like that you shared with Sheridan and shared his response here. It's obvious he see's the appreciation too.

You're a good man, and an even better collector. Did I say that? B) Nah, that can't be right. Actually you're a BUM, but we love you anyway!! >:)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an incredible life Henry lived.

https://www.mercurynews.com/obituaries/henry-hilgard/

• He taught at UC Santa Cruz as well. Go banana slugs!

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20
    I really liked reading your post and thanks for sharing.
    It makes me happy that so many forum members here, are willing to give and go the extra mile to bring knowledge to us all.
    A effort well done.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

440 of the 450 overton varities is very impressive to begin with

• Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

Ok now that I got my funny comment out of the way, it's really cool that you were able to do this, and I hope that this will bring more light to previously assembled Die Marriage Collections! Looking forward to seeing how it all goes!

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2024 7:45AM

@johnny9434 said:

@BustDMs
    Would the set had it previously been graded been officially ranked in the top 5?

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2024 7:37PM

@BustDMs, I don’t know when or where we were but I remember you telling me that story. Henry sounded like an amazing person. I only wish I could have met him (along with so many of the other legendary club members like Elton, Gehring, Swampy, Russ, etc, etc before they passed).

I couldn’t be any happier to be part of the BHNC. The people I have met who have since become great friends is truly the best part of being a member in my opinion.

Dave

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs what a tremendous recollection and makes me appreciate the gracious man he was. I would have liked to have known him. I bet you were honored to be his friend.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20: absolutely great read; appreciate you sharing your accomplishment with us! CONGRATS!!!!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs: wow, what a great story! So glad, too, you still own the coin!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin!!

It sure looks like you were holding onto it mighty tightly though.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@johnny9434 said:

@BustDMs
    Would the set had it previously been graded been officially ranked in the top 5?

Probably not but that was not Henry’s, or my, reason for collecting.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Great story, Brad. Thanks for sharing.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭

I don't collect anything close to this, but what a great read!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file