Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG what PCGS graded this 1920-D mercury dime and did CAC green sticker.PCGS MS-64FB gold CAC.

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 10, 2024 6:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What did PCGS grade this dime and why?

Did CAC green sticker this coin?

ANSWER:

PCGS MS-64FB with a CAC GOLD sticker.

Reason back in the early 1990’s, PCGS was very tough on mercury dimes. Look at the right side of the obverse. The strike is very weak in which the Y of LIBERTY almost fades to oblivion and even the date is very weak. PCGS in this case, is really tough due to what appears ti be a weak strike and CAC is not, since this dime is slightly off-center which accounts for the imbalance in the strike.

I did not evaluate the issue of friction on the obverse. .

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• batumibatumi Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:

My bet is MS66 FB w/cac approval. Really nice coin!

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the full res photo for those of you who don't want to spoil it for yourself by going to the page. (For the record, my initial guess would have been right)

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• YouYou Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@oreville said:

How is one expected to guess whether CAC stickered it without knowing the grade?

@You said:

@oreville said:

How is one expected to guess whether CAC stickered it without knowing the grade?

Pro tip: look at the rim of the coin to help determine what generation holder it's in, which can help determine how it was graded ;)

Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

I'll guess PCGS went 65FB. I see some luster grazes in the right obverse field, and on the reverse there's some minor chatter below EPU. Granted, that's nitpicking a bit. I wouldn't be the least surprised with a grade of 66FB.

For CAC, I'll say it got the green bean at 65FB.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2024 12:15PM

65 FB plus cac. Very attractive coin, super luster.

Coins & Currency
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 no fb cac

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

66+ CAC

• KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

66 FB no CAC

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

66FB with green cac

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2024 1:42PM

Depends on when they graded the coin.

But I will say 66 no FB.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

64FB w/CAC GOLD

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• AllentramAllentram Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

MS65 not FB, w/CAC green.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did not sticker - Obverse abrasions

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 no FB, green beaned

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 with green cac.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@You said:

@oreville said:

Thank you for asking. Threads soliciting grade guesses and whether the coins stickered at CAC are pet peeves of mine. The thread originators might just as well ask for guesses as to how much over or under CDN or price guide levels the coins brought (without knowing the assigned grade).😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@DisneyFan said:

But what if the coin graded 65, 64, 63 or 62? Would your answer (“Did not sticker - Obverse abrasions”)
    be the same in each case?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• DrewUDrewU Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I’m going 66 FB but no CAC. I wasn’t sold on the bands until the full res photo was posted.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 or 65 FB
    It CAC'd
    If 64 FB then it is Gold
    If 65 FB then it is Green

If it did not grade FB then I would send it in for regrade...

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

65+ FB green bean

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@DisneyFan said:

But what if the coin graded 65, 64, 63 or 62? Would your answer (“Did not sticker - Obverse abrasions”)

Based on my experiences with CAC, yes it would. That's also true if the coin had PVC or was cleaned and a lot of other reasons why coins do not sticker. CAC is really tough on finding "faults."

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the bigs @hummingbird_coins

Looks Gemmy. I'm guessing it's today's equivalent of a 65+/66 with FB ... what exactly that means in what appears to be an OGH by grade and bean is immaterial as long as the summation works.

I'm also with @MFeld to an extent ... can't guess a bean if you don't know the grade.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

@DisneyFan said:

@MFeld said:

@DisneyFan said:

Based on my experiences with CAC, yes it would. That's also true if the coin had PVC or was cleaned and a lot of other reasons why coins do not sticker. CAC is really tough on finding "faults."

Declining to sticker a coin due to cleaning or PVC is very different from doing so because of “obverse abrasions”. If you think CAC wouldn’t sticker that coin as a 62, 63 or 64 because of abrasions, you have an unrealistic view of their standards.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    64FB w/CAC GOLD

Damn I’m good. What did I win again? 😉

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2024 8:40PM

64FB w/CAC GOLD

Damn I’m good. What did I win again? 😉

You won bragging rights.Awesome.

To all other posters:

You guys and gals are getting good in reviewing mint state coins and should be happy with your responses.

The only question that remains is whether JA/CAC believes the dime is
    MS-65FB
    MS-65+ FB
    MS-66 FB.

I would be in the MS-65FB or MS-65+ camp. I put this dime away in my safe deposit box before I even thought about the more exacting grade question. However, i have seen recent PCGS MS-66 FB mercury dimes that look inferior to this dime.

@Relaxn said:
    64 or 65 FB
    It CAC'd
    If 64 FB then it is Gold
    If 65 FB then it is Green

If it did not grade FB then I would send it in for regrade...

Superb answer!

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2024 12:12PM

No submissions but bought about a dozen CACG coins. Sold a couple too doing well. WKG on box 20.

Coins & Currency

@Cougar1978 said:
    No submissions but bought about a dozen CACG coins. Sold a couple too doing well. WKG on box 20.

What is WKG?

@oreville said:

@Cougar1978 said:

What is WKG?

Working maybe?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file