Home Sports Talk

Will Teams Actually Line Up to Pay Dak $60 mil plus?

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:
    Not only have teams been contenders but they have won Super Bowls several times in the last two decades. 2007 Giants Eli was terrible and lead the league in INTs. Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles are all SB winning QBs. While you would prefer a Mahomes, it is possible to do it with a backup level QB since after all it is a team game

Like you said @Basebal21, it is definitely possible to win with non "elite" qb's and has happened no doubt, but those are the exception, not the rule of building a championship franchise. My point posted earlier is that in my opinion Dak is not "elite" and will likely never win a championship. I believe the Cowboys should have moved on from him. In his first 5 years he had one of the best o lines in the game, a young stud RB in Zeke and it has been failure after failure getting to the next level. Is it all his fault? Of course not, but after 8 full years it should have been time to move on from him.

Its certainly the exception. I wouldnt say Dak is an elite top 5 guy either, but hes top 10 or at worse top 12. I honestly dont think hes the problem. Dallas is always really good at getting a couple stars (no pun intended) like Lamb and Micah and Dak but dont do a good job of filling in good roleplayers. A lot of the time their defense is the problem.

I get not being thrilled about the new contract but what really was the option? QBs are just going to set a new record every time with an extension. Trading up for Daniels would have cost a ton (Daniels and Lamb would have been electric though) and look how the Panthers destroyed their organization with what they gave up to trade up. Or they sign Cousins for similar money whose not an upgrade and many would say would be a downgrade

Another issue is Jerry Jones. He hires puppet "yes man" coaches who instill very little discipline and by discipline, I mean in game discipline. I don't have stats, but I would say the Cowboys are perennially one of the most penalized teams in the league. Penalties have been a huge issue in the McCarthy era, the Garrett era, etc. As a fan it's very frustrating to watch. To your point the situation the Cowboys were in with Dak was between a rock and a hard place in regard to re-signing him or not.

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:
    Not only have teams been contenders but they have won Super Bowls several times in the last two decades. 2007 Giants Eli was terrible and lead the league in INTs. Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles are all SB winning QBs. While you would prefer a Mahomes, it is possible to do it with a backup level QB since after all it is a team game

Like you said @Basebal21, it is definitely possible to win with non "elite" qb's and has happened no doubt, but those are the exception, not the rule of building a championship franchise. My point posted earlier is that in my opinion Dak is not "elite" and will likely never win a championship. I believe the Cowboys should have moved on from him. In his first 5 years he had one of the best o lines in the game, a young stud RB in Zeke and it has been failure after failure getting to the next level. Is it all his fault? Of course not, but after 8 full years it should have been time to move on from him.

Its certainly the exception. I wouldnt say Dak is an elite top 5 guy either, but hes top 10 or at worse top 12. I honestly dont think hes the problem. Dallas is always really good at getting a couple stars (no pun intended) like Lamb and Micah and Dak but dont do a good job of filling in good roleplayers. A lot of the time their defense is the problem.

I get not being thrilled about the new contract but what really was the option? QBs are just going to set a new record every time with an extension. Trading up for Daniels would have cost a ton (Daniels and Lamb would have been electric though) and look how the Panthers destroyed their organization with what they gave up to trade up. Or they sign Cousins for similar money whose not an upgrade and many would say would be a downgrade

Another issue is Jerry Jones. He hires puppet "yes man" coaches who instill very little discipline and by discipline, I mean in game discipline. I don't have stats, but I would say the Cowboys are perennially one of the most penalized teams in the league. Penalties have been a huge issue in the McCarthy era, the Garrett era, etc. As a fan it's very frustrating to watch. To your point the situation the Cowboys were in with Dak was between a rock and a hard place in regard to re-signing him or not.

I was thinking the Saints would have been a nice trade partner for Dak since he is from that area, I was thinking Dak for multiple picks and throw in Derek Carr.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭

Jones tends to be pretty involved in personnel decisions so I think it’s fairly natural that he overrides the coach at times. I don’t think that means you’re a yes man. It’s just the nature of a hierarchy right?

Not every relationship can be like Jones and Johnson. But their history only lasted so long and “you’re in charge of football and I’m in charge of money” was out the window and Jones has been too hands on for his own good ever since. But I disagree that any, or all, of those guys were just pushovers. But when the owner says what’s what you can either kick dirt like Billy Martin or fall in line.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

While I do appreciate Jones desire to win, he would be better off taking a step back. It seems like hes just interested in hiring personal that will just be yes men. The fact Garret had his job as long as he did was insane. Theyve always been a player first organization even when they were the premier team, but it does seem like its probably gone to far

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@LandrysFedora said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

I was thinking the Saints would have been a nice trade partner for Dak since he is from that area, I was thinking Dak for multiple picks and throw in Derek Carr.

He does actually have a pretty interesting backstory. Im not sure if the Saints had any interest, but when he was in HS he did want to go to LSU. LSU has a big lock on that state for recruiting. Long story short LSU offered him as a TE and the smartest career decision ever he said no and went and played QB at Mississippi State. One of the rare massive misses

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me look at this from a financial side. If you look at the 10 highest paid QB’s the two best aren’t even on that list. Soon Mahomes and Allen are going to sign new contracts and the bar will be $70-75M.
    Waiting to sign Dak after that might cost JJ $30M more

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2024 5:28AM

@Mistlin said:

@perkdog said:

Since I'm bored at work and getting paid to respond I will entertain your nonsense.

I said "It's getting to the point where a crappy led team will be contendors" You said to show some examples so I did even though I said "Will Start"

And a contendors doesn't mean winning a Super Bowl either, it means making a playoff spot like Baker Mayfield accomplished last year.

My point being is when a guy like Patrick Mahomes contract starts getting expensive in a few years other teams might not want to do that and instead pay money for position players on both sides of the ball and get a blue collar QB

Patrick Mahomes on the Carolina Panthers last year wouldn't have been all that much better than the Tampa Bay Bucs with Baker Mayfield.

So again, enough of your nonsense and making a fool of yourself.

Unless you want to continue, I'm ok with it since I'm earning money while typing

First, what's a 'contendor'? Did you mean 'contender'?

Second, what does Baker Mayfield have to do with any of this? The NFC south is BAD. It's been BAD. This year will be more of the same with a projected win total of just 31.

Third, can you please point to a single example of a team choosing to go the route of letting a top 10 QB walk to sign talent? I am going to go out on a very short limb and state you cannot, otherwise you would have.

Finally, the Panthers are bad not because they don't spend money, but because they have made terrible talent decisions.

Again, please point to the recent (last 10 years) NFL team that let an elite QB go (either via FA or trade) and was a 'contendor' with a mediocre QB.

The rule changes to promote offense have made having a top 10 QB mandatory.

Again your asking me to show examples when my original post clearly was about the future, neither you or I know what will happen I was simply stating that with the massive amounts of money big name QB's are fetching these days with no signs of slowing down I think teams will start building a team with talent and plug in a blue collar QB to make the team a contender.

So again your either just too thick headed to understand my original post or your just ignoring what I said and are just looking to go back and forth.

BTW the grammar police thing was a nice touch, apparently you have never had a typo when using your cellphone?

Just a heads up, I'm at work till 2pm EST and am looking at another slow day so you got until then to get your rocks off with this back and forth, after that I'm punching out and unless I'm getting paid to feed trolls I will not do it off the clock, so get it in while you can.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

jerry isn't another issue he is the root of all issues. he is dumber than a box of hammers yet thinks he should be involved in football matters

not saying jerry was or is dumb in business mind you , but it doesn't translate to football roster decisions

@bronco2078 said:
    not saying jerry was or is dumb in business mind you , but it doesn't translate to football roster decisions

Firing Jimmy Johnson was certainly a wild move

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Again your asking me to show examples when my original post clearly was about the future, neither you or I know what will happen I was simply stating that with the massive amounts of money big name QB's are fetching these days with no signs of slowing down I think teams will start building a team with talent and plug in a blue collar QB to make the team a contender.

So again your either just too thick headed to understand my original post or your just ignoring what I said and are just looking to go back and forth.

BTW the grammar police thing was a nice touch, apparently you have never had a typo when using your cellphone?

Just a heads up, I'm at work till 2pm EST and am looking at another slow day so you got until then to get your rocks off with this back and forth, after that I'm punching out and unless I'm getting paid to feed trolls I will not do it off the clock, so get it in while you can.

*you're

With the rule changes in place, teams no longer have the luxury of signing mediocre quarterbacks and why Dak getting $60 million a year was a foregone conclusion (as I and many others correctly predicted would happen). In addition to the quality of play, you have to put butts in seats and a star QB is going to do that to a much higher degree than Joe Schmoe will.

Typo? You misspelled it twice. It's ok! Don't blame the phone, just say you didn't know how it was spelled.

At the end of the day, superstar QBs are going to always be the most important (and highest paid) players in sports.

@Mistlin said:
    At the end of the day, superstar QBs are going to always be the most important (and highest paid) players in sports.

They arent the highest paid players in sports. Otani makes more then any of them.

The highest paid players in sports are soccer stars. Renaldo made over 200 million last year. Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, all over 100 million.

At least use actual facts

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Probably should have left that highest paid bit out. Don’t blame your phone.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

They arent the highest paid players in sports. Otani makes more then any of them.

The highest paid players in sports are soccer stars. Renaldo made over 200 million last year. Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, all over 100 million.

Please don't confuse this guy with the facts.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

Ohtani makes $2 million a year.

Try again.

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

Try again.

Othani makes 60 million a year and another 60 in endorsements. Deferred money doesnt mean it doesnt get paid.

We can go deeper with race car drivers making 50+ a year or NBA players singing 5 year 300 million dollar deals. Scheffler made more in winnings but thats fair to not include someone that has to win tournaments.

You completely ignored soccer players as well.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

Try again.

Othani makes 60 million a year and another 60 in endorsements. Deferred money doesnt mean it doesnt get paid.

We can go deeper with race car drivers making 50+ a year or NBA players singing 5 year 300 million dollar deals. Scheffler made more in winnings but thats fair to not include someone that has to win tournaments.

Ohtani makes 2 MILLION per year or are you somehow unaware of his deferring his salary ?

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

Try again.

Ohtani makes 2 MILLION per year or are you somehow unaware of his deferring his salary ?

Do you believe that differed money does not get paid?

Again even with deferred money he makes over 60 million a year with endorsements

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Mistlin said:

@perkdog said:

*you're

With the rule changes in place, teams no longer have the luxury of signing mediocre quarterbacks and why Dak getting $60 million a year was a foregone conclusion (as I and many others correctly predicted would happen). In addition to the quality of play, you have to put butts in seats and a star QB is going to do that to a much higher degree than Joe Schmoe will.

Typo? You misspelled it twice. It's ok! Don't blame the phone, just say you didn't know how it was spelled.

Ok back on the clock.

I'm well aware how to spell but typing away on my cellphone does cause typos from time to time or I'm just too lazy to correctly type every single word, I mean even people like you can understand the point of my posts so I didn't think it was a big deal - I actually still don't, so either deal with it or put me on ignore.

I never said Dak wasn't going to get paid btw

Superstar QB's are definitely one of the most important players on the team, I've always leaned that way while others have suggested lineman and other key components around the QB.

There are plenty of examples of teams letting high priced veterans walk in place of smaller market QB's, and reloading through the draft or free agency

There are not many Patrick Mahomes out there, and in a couple years when his massive contract starts growing they will have a harder time with the salary cap.

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

soccer is actually football to the rest of the world

@perkdog said:

@Mistlin said:

@perkdog said:

*you're

Ok back on the clock.

I'm well aware how to spell but typing away on my cellphone does cause typos from time to time or I'm just too lazy to correctly type every single word, I mean even people like you can understand the point of my posts so I didn't think it was a big deal - I actually still don't, so either deal with it or put me on ignore.

I never said Dak wasn't going to get paid btw

Superstar QB's are definitely one of the most important players on the team, I've always leaned that way while others have suggested lineman and other key components around the QB.

There are plenty of examples of teams letting high priced veterans walk in place of smaller market QB's, and reloading through the draft or free agency

There are not many Patrick Mahomes out there, and in a couple years when his massive contract starts growing they will have a harder time with the salary cap.

there is a typo in there somewhere , I'm sure of it !

It is a lot of money for QBs and thinking they are the highest paid athletes in sports isn’t completely unreasonable. It just happens to be incorrect. Next time… give it a Goog first!

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to find that job where I can post here and get paid at the same time.

If I got caught posting here on the job like I'm doing now, my boss would fire me faster than Andy Reid responding to the sound of a dinner bell.

edited September 11, 2024 9:12AM

@stevek said:

If I got caught posting here on the job like I'm doing now, my boss would fire me faster than Andy Reid responding to the sound of a dinner bell.

I don't use the company computer,I post with my cell phone.

I run the maintenance department of a chemical company with one other guy and as long as everyone has what they need, the place is clean and in order everything is good.

I got plenty of "Down Time" but certainly not as much as the people who "work" from home

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I don't use the company computer, I run the maintenance department with one other guy jand as long as everyone is has what they need, the place is clean and in order everything is good.

I got plenty of "Down Time" but certainly not as much as the people who "work" from home

Study after study proves WFH workers are more productive (https://www.apollotechnical.com/working-from-home-productivity-statistics/).

You disparage WFH workers, but brag about getting paid to post here. Oh, the irony.

Back to the topic at hand:

No team, in serious contention, will ever sacrifice an elite QB to pay other players more.

@Mistlin said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I don't use the company computer, I run the maintenance department with one other guy jand as long as everyone is has what they need, the place is clean and in order everything is good.

Study after study proves WFH workers are more productive (https://www.apollotechnical.com/working-from-home-productivity-statistics/).

You disparage WFH workers, but brag about getting paid to post here. Oh, the irony.

No team, in serious contention, will ever sacrifice an elite QB to pay other players more.

I get paid to be there and make sure things are in order I do more than what my job title suggests, maybe that's why I got promoted and was given the biggest pay percentage in the entire company?

I'm not doing laundry, food shopping and going to the gym on company time.

Are you working from home right now or at the office?

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Mistlin said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I get paid to be there and make sure things are in order I do more than what my job title suggests, maybe that's why I got promoted and was given the biggest pay percentage in the entire company?

He is in his mom's basement.

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@perkdog said:

@Mistlin said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I agree and at this point I'm just enabling him so I will just do everyone a favor and not respond to him anymore.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I run the maintenance department of a chemical company with one other guy and as long as everyone has what they need, the place is clean and in order everything is good.

Paul - it wasn't intended as a knock at all, not in the least. I realize now it may have come off that way. Just a silly joke on my part. I was too focused on getting in another fat joke about Andy Reid. 😆

In reality there's no such thing as an employee who gets paid for 8 hours a day, actually spending 8 hours strictly working. It just doesn't exist in real life.

In a nutshell, I've told every employee I've ever hired, even in the interview, I don't care what you do or how you do it, as long as the job gets done.

I've finally stopped crying about my hurt feelings about working from home. Is this the thread about bad QBs and contenders or about police and wide receivers?

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Paul - it wasn't intended as a knock at all, not in the least. I realize now it may have come off that way. Just a silly joke on my part. I was too focused on getting in another fat joke about Andy Reid. 😆

In reality there's no such thing as an employee who gets paid for 8 hours a day, actually spending 8 hours strictly working. It just doesn't exist in real life.

In a nutshell, I've told every employee I've ever hired, even in the interview, I don't care what you do or how you do it, as long as the job gets done.

All good Steve, I thought about it and it might have sounded like I was bragging about getting paid to post but it was just a slight towards that clown I let rent space in my head for a day or so lol

edited September 11, 2024 11:23AM

@bgr said:
    I've finally stopped crying about my hurt feelings about working from home. Is this the thread about bad QBs and contenders or about police and wide receivers?

This thread got destroyed many posts ago , hope your not too upset lol

@perkdog said:

@Mistlin said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

shots fired !

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

Try again.

Again even with deferred money he makes over 60 million a year with endorsements

@Basebal21 you cannot present trolls with facts, it never works, they are always right. Pesky facts.

@Basebal21 said:

We are not talking endorsements - we are talking contracts and the fact you are reaching for endorsements to prop up your failing argument is pretty telling. I also never said that the deferred money is not going to be paid. Obviously, it is. But not until 2034. So, no, his contract is not paying him $60 million this year.

That said - Ohtani is earning $2 million a year for the life of his contract. He does not begin to receive the remaining $68 million per year until 2034. Regardless of the deferred money, he is not earning that money today. Period.

If you want an apples and apples comparison (instead of whatever this is), Dak earns $40 million annually in endorsement deals. With that in mind, Dak now earns over $100 million a year and Ohtani earns $62.

Lamar Jackson also is making over $100MM this season (with signing bonus).
    Joe Burrow must be close to $100MM in 2024 with the $40MM bonus.

Ohtani's on-field earnings are closer to $30MM than $2MM and Forbes has him at $25MM for 2024.

If you would just give Mistlin Ohtani he could look up at...

Ronaldo $200MM
    Rahm $198M
    and
    Benzema $100MM

But maybe Mt. Ronaldo would be obscured by clouds.

Point is. Quarterbacks are not the highest paid position in sports.

Let's not include endorsement deals though because it adds a lot more athletes between the first QB and the top spot. That puts Jackson & Burrow at #10 & #11 on the list. Dak will slot in with that massive signing bonus just above Ohtani at #13.

In 2025 those 3 will fall off the list and the highest paid QB will be Mahomes with around $66MM due in 2025. Dak will still be close at ~$60MM in 2025.

edited September 11, 2024 5:23PM

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

We are not talking endorsements - we are talking contracts and the fact you are reaching for endorsements to prop up your failing argument is pretty telling. I also never said that the deferred money is not going to be paid. Obviously, it is. But not until 2034. So, no, his contract is not paying him $60 million this year.

That said - Ohtani is earning $2 million a year for the life of his contract. He does not begin to receive the remaining $68 million per year until 2034. Regardless of the deferred money, he is not earning that money today. Period.

If you want an apples and apples comparison (instead of whatever this is), Dak earns $40 million annually in endorsement deals. With that in mind, Dak now earns over $100 million a year and Ohtani earns $62.

I dont need to talk endorsements. The simple fact is that Othani signed a 10 year 700 million dollar contract that is fully guaranteed that blows any NFL contract out of the water.

His endorsements are a direct result of his skill and other than maybe Messi he blows everyone else out of the water not including merchandise sales for player brands.

There are a couple reasons why so much of Othanis money was deferred. The biggest is that he wants to win. By deferring so much money his luxury tax hit dropped to about 47 million instead of 70 million and allowed them to sign Yamamoto who he was recruiting.

Apples to Apples Othani earns over 130 million this year if you want to include endorsements with your Dak comp. Again it doesnt matter if the money is paid tomorrow or in 10 years Othanis salary is 70 million

Your still ignoring soccer players

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@LandrysFedora said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

Try again.

@Basebal21 you cannot present trolls with facts, it never works, they are always right. Pesky facts.

Starting to feel like Im talking to a brick wall lol

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

I dont need to talk endorsements. The simple fact is that Othani signed a 10 year 700 million dollar contract that is fully guaranteed that blows any NFL contract out of the water.

His endorsements are a direct result of his skill and other than maybe Messi he blows everyone else out of the water not including merchandise sales for player brands.

There are a couple reasons why so much of Othanis money was deferred. The biggest is that he wants to win. By deferring so much money his luxury tax hit dropped to about 47 million instead of 70 million and allowed them to sign Yamamoto who he was recruiting.

Apples to Apples Othani earns over 130 million this year if you want to include endorsements with your Dak comp. Again it doesnt matter if the money is paid tomorrow or in 10 years Othanis salary is 70 million

The present day value of that contract is probably closer to $580,000,000.

edited September 11, 2024 7:51PM

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

Given that you very recently came out of the clouds saying you would be living your best life If I blocked you seeking engagement from me is a wild move. I basically stopped engaging with you when you posted that you dislike me and you continued to follow around my posts.

Im responding to this because present day value isnt that simple. Aside from the extenuating circumstances with how much Othani agreed to defer basically all big contracts have deferred money.

If you really want to go down that rabbit hole of real value, a contract in Texas or FL is worth more than one in NY, Connecticut, or California.

You can then go deeper about the value of the contract based off of what division a team is and what their schedule is since players at that level have to pay state taxes to the states they play a game in.

Could then even go further with who the agent is and the fee being charged.

Theres a lot of things that go into the value of a contract

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

Given that you very recently came out of the clouds saying you would be living your best life If I blocked you seeking engagement from me is a wild move. I basically stopped engaging with you when you posted that you dislike me and you continued to follow around my posts.

Im responding to this because present day value isnt that simple. Aside from the extenuating circumstances with how much Othani agreed to defer basically all big contracts have deferred money.

If you really want to go down that rabbit hole of real value, a contract in Texas or FL is worth more than one in NY, Connecticut, or California.

You can then go deeper about the value of the contract based off of what division a team is and what their schedule is since players at that level have to pay state taxes to the states they play a game in.

I know it’s not that simple and that’s why I provided it as an estimate. A conservative one.

As far as me not liking you I haven’t given that very much thought. I don’t like how you seem to debate things in such an incredibly disingenuous manner. You twist facts and use fallacious arguments regularly. You’ve been proven wrong frequently on this forum. It’s a common occurrence. You have no accountability or integrity. Being wrong is fine and isn’t even interesting to point out… but in cases where people refuse to accept it and move on. You will continue to promote ridiculous rumor as fact on occasion, and I find that bothersome.

I could enjoy you and Nistlin arguing about Ohtanis salary for days upon days. I just wanted you to be correct.

edited September 11, 2024 9:21PM

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

I know it’s not that simple and that’s why I provided it as an estimate. A conservative one.

As far as me not liking you I haven’t given that very much thought. I don’t like how you seem to debate things in such an incredibly disingenuous manner. You twist facts and use fallacious arguments regularly. You’ve been proven wrong frequently on this forum. It’s a common occurrence. You have no accountability or integrity. Being wrong is fine and isn’t even interesting to point out… but in cases where people refuse to accept it and move on. You will continue to promote ridiculous rumor as fact on occasion, and I find that bothersome.

I could enjoy you and Nistlin arguing about Ohtanis salary for days upon days. I just wanted you to be correct.

You could have saved time by simply saying you dont like debates. Ill go back to not engaging you. If you want to keep coming out of the clouds taking shots at me thats your choice

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Why is it assumed that Dak is automatically a top 10 QB? The guy throws in a favorable stadium and location. He has had an excellent team built around him. How are people separating his ability from that of his teammates and environment?

In fully outdoor stadiums for his career in 43 games, he has a QB rating of 92.4, which since 2018 is sometimes league average and sometimes a little above league average in the NFL. So throw a few more elements his direction and he isn't quite the same as throwing in the comforts he usually does.

His AYA (avereage yards per attempt) outside is 7.04. When not in the full outdoors his AYA is 8.25. Those are drastic differences.

Nothing like a little wind to make it tougher to throw the balls. I know there are a lot of variables involved in that, but if you don't think wind factors in, lets have a contest. We will see who throws the football more accurately and further. I will do mine inside with no wind. You will do yours outside in 20 MPH wind against your face.

Dak certainly isn't worth being paid as the top QB in the league. A few others up there aren't worth it either. In the quest for teams to find that franchise QB those GM's are making a lot of franchise killing choices in the process and that is kind of along the lines of what @perkdog is saying.

Deferred money is not earned until it's actually collected.

I don't know why people are so unwilling to accept that fact.

You think the IRS is collecting money on deferred salary or it hitting the salary cap number?

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mistlin said:

You think the IRS is collecting money on deferred salary or it hitting the salary cap number?

In comparing players’ salaries, what’s relevant is how much they are being paid for their services. How are the details of when the money is delivered relevant to that comparison?

@Mistlin said:

There Be Dragons!

Fact mixed with fiction.

The $2MM per season from 2024 - 2033 is the number that matters for the Team's total salary. There is another issue though and that is the Luxury Tax... The Dodgers will pay about $40MM per season ($48MM for 2024) in luxury tax. Which means the Dodgers will be realizing a portion of his salary, yearly, before the deferred payments are made.

So, it affects the salary cap (Luxury Tax) in MLB definitely. You're wrong.
    As far as the IRS goes. The deferred salary is not taxed as income until it's realized. The Dodgers are surely recording the expense related to the Luxury Tax.

Google exists for this reason.

Why is it assumed that Dak is automatically a top 10 QB? The guy throws in a favorable stadium and location. He has had an excellent team built around him. How are people separating his ability from that of his teammates and environment?

In fully outdoor stadiums for his career in 43 games, he has a QB rating of 92.4, which since 2018 is sometimes league average and sometimes a little above league average in the NFL. So throw a few more elements his direction and he isn't quite the same as throwing in the comforts he usually does.

His AYA (avereage yards per attempt) outside is 7.04. When not in the full outdoors his AYA is 8.25. Those are drastic differences.

Nothing like a little wind to make it tougher to throw the balls. I know there are a lot of variables involved in that, but if you don't think wind factors in, lets have a contest. We will see who throws the football more accurately and further. I will do mine inside with no wind. You will do yours outside in 20 MPH wind against your face.

Dak certainly isn't worth being paid as the top QB in the league. A few others up there aren't worth it either. In the quest for teams to find that franchise QB those GM's are making a lot of franchise killing choices in the process and that is kind of along the lines of what @perkdog is saying.

What 10 would you put ahead of him? Theres certainly some obvious answers, but theres arguments and its tough to say 10 are definitely better

Should he be the top paid no, but every QB basically ends up being the top paid when they get a new deal.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Mistlin said:

@Basebal21 said:

You could have saved time by simply saying you dont like debates. Ill go back to not engaging you. If you want to keep coming out of the clouds taking shots at me thats your choice

Then keep your eyes peeled and listen for the neeeeeerooom.

@Basebal21 said:

What 10 would you put ahead of him? Theres certainly some obvious answers, but theres arguments and its tough to say 10 are definitely better

Should he be the top paid no, but every QB basically ends up being the top paid when they get a new deal.

He might be top ten. He might not be. How people are so certain is what I am asking. How are they separating his ability from that of his teammates/coaches and how are the rectifying the fact that he passes in a physical environment where it is easier to throw compared to many of his league mates.

For instance, last year you got on Brock Purdy for having great stats and then dismantled him by saying it was because of his teammate...and there is some merit to that. Purdy has better stats than Prescott the last two years, and most put Prescott in top ten due to statistics, so is Purdy better than Prescott?

There are a lot of big variables that are getting ignored when elevating Prescott to that standard of automatic top ten.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this online last night and thought it would be good for a laugh here.

(To our Chiefs brethren here, don’t come @ me over this. I’m too lazy to have researched these stats) B)