Home Sports Talk

Will Teams Actually Line Up to Pay Dak $60 mil plus?

13»

Comments

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@Mistlin said:
    Deferred money is not earned until it's actually collected.

I don't know why people are so unwilling to accept that fact.

You think the IRS is collecting money on deferred salary or it hitting the salary cap number?

In comparing players’ salaries, what’s relevant is how much they are being paid for their services. How are the details of when the money is delivered relevant to that comparison?

Ohtani is being paid $2 million for his services in 2024.
    Dak is being paid $60 million for his services in 2024.

The people arguing that Ohtani is being paid $70 million this year are the same people who believe in "alternative facts".

No one is arguing how the money is delivered. You are arguing about when the money is delivered.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Saw this online last night and thought it would be good for a laugh here.

(To our Chiefs brethren here, don’t come @ me over this. I’m too lazy to have researched these stats) B)

Savage

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do so many threads digress into a battle of chief financial officers basebal21 and bgr?
    It’s like I open a thread and I’m in business school wondering how the hell I got in here. 🤔

@Darin said:
    Why do so many threads digress into a battle of chief financial officers basebal21 and bgr?
    It’s like I open a thread and I’m in business school wondering how the hell I got in here. 🤔

Guilty.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭✭

@Mistlin said:

@PaulMaul said:

@Mistlin said:

You think the IRS is collecting money on deferred salary or it hitting the salary cap number?

In comparing players’ salaries, what’s relevant is how much they are being paid for their services. How are the details of when the money is delivered relevant to that comparison?

The people arguing that Ohtani is being paid $70 million this year are the same people who believe in "alternative facts".

No one is arguing how the money is delivered. You are arguing about when the money is delivered.

Alternative facts would be denying what someone is required to be paid. Trout, Lindor, Tatis, Machado all have larger guaranteed contracts than any NFL QB and it would take several to match Othanis or two to match Trouts.

That doesnt even get into golfers or as you keep ignoring soccer players.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

@Mistlin said:

@PaulMaul said:

@Mistlin said:

Ohtani makes up the difference with his savvy sports wagering.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will Teams Actually Line Up to Pay Dak 60 cents?

Just suggesting a thread title change to the OP.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Will Teams Actually Line Up to Pay Dak 60 cents?

Just suggesting a thread title change to the OP.

The Dolphins would right about now.

I think the Packers would take him for the next 3 weeks.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cowboys were in playoff form in week 2. Impressive

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    The Cowboys were in playoff form in week 2. Impressive

Dam, that's a good zinger.

Wish I had thought of it. LOL

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good test for both Dallas and Baltimore this week.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • MistlinMistlin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

For everyone falling over themselves to cheer on Dak's poor week 2 performance, I am sure you are so confident that you're all stocking up on Derek Carr rookie cards, right? I mean if the first two weeks are the bellwether you all claim it to be, Derek Carr's blistering start is surely a sign he's a future Hall of Famer?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2024 11:37AM

@Mistlin said:

For everyone falling over themselves to cheer on Dak's poor week 2 performance, I am sure you are so confident that you're all stocking up on Derek Carr rookie cards, right? I mean if the first two weeks are the bellwether you all claim it to be, Derek Carr's blistering start is surely a sign he's a future Hall of Famer?

i think Dak is grossly overrated and supremely overpaid. i've watched him play more times than i care to admit, and that's how i formulated my own personal opinion. are there games where he looks like a top-tier QB? there are. but eventually the Cowboys either run up against a formidable team and/or play in a high-stakes game and they get the shit kicked out of them. and when everyone turns to the 65 million-dollar man for a response, he often looks like a deer in headlights. think back to the reg season game against the Niners last year. think about the playoff game against the Packers. and then of course there was the woodshed job by the Saints last weekend. there are many more examples where he comes up smaller than mini-me when his team......his fanbase.....his franchise.....needed much, much more out of him to prevent his team from looking like they might lose by 100 points.

is Dak the sole culprit? of course not. Dallas' roster is mediocre at best and Jerry did the team no favors in the offseason. quick, take CeeDee Lamb out of a game and tell me who scares you? exactly. they will be going nowhere, per usual. that's not Dak's fault. know what is his fault? playing like trash and your team often getting thoroughly embarrassed in the biggest games when you're the highest paid player in NFL history.

the sample size is quite small, as there have only been two games this season, but i invite you to go look at the QBR thread. Dak is sitting at #22 right now. he's looking up at Gardner freaking Minshew at the present time. do you find that level of play acceptable mistlin? should a man who is paid that handsomely ever go through a 2-game stretch where 2/3 of the quarterbacks in the NFL are providing greater production on the football field than he is?

he's a poser

go ahead and defend him, i'll hang up and listen

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

I recall not too long ago that a number of pundits were saying that Micah Parsons could be the next Lawrence Taylor.

Well there seems to be some games he plays like Taylor. However I'm referring to Taylor Swift.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I recall not too long ago that a number of pundits were saying that Micah Parsons could be the next Lawrence Taylor.

Well there seems to be some games he plays like Taylor. However I'm referring to Taylor Swift.

Micah is a fraud , it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that Lucas ran the whole damn town

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dallas and Miami are finesse teams. Miami ties to use motion to fool you and Dallas relies on speed and quickness on defense. When you take it right to both those teams they have no answer. Dak puts up big numbers but has never come through down in a game when the $60 M is on the line

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.