Home U.S. Coin Forum

What would you estimate this coin grade to be if I were to get it graded?

AccfakAccfak Posts: 7
edited June 20, 2024 1:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

It’s an 1865 2 cent coin.

Comments

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why don't you give it a shot and share what you think?

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/TwoCent/Grades

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG10. Not worth the cost of grading.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭

Why grade it? It is not worth the time or expense being a lower value coin. It is a nice looking coin on its own that would look nice in a type set album.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 2:22PM

Today they might call it “Fine” giver lower standards, but it still is not worth the grading and shipping charges to have it graded.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

With “WE” obliterated you are looking at a VG coin. Nice color and original surfaces. The perfect album coin.

peacockcoins

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice type set coin but not worth getting graded. VG08 - maybe a 10

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice VG10 / F12 coin with no rim issues, lovely color and surfaces, and just plain, honest wear. Quite attractive for that grade range.

As many have said, probably not worth grading from a monetary standpoint, but certainly a "worthy" coin.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG/F

Coins & Currency
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually like the coin, but with the lack of WE it would not be desireable as a 7070 candidate. I feel VG-F would be its range.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a F 15 just because I once owned a coin in that grade and yours has similar wear.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

f12 nice type coin for a modest collector

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come the VG10 coin has near full shield lines and no other coin with the same detail in the lines shows up until VF30?

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2024 6:28AM

@hummingbird_coins said:

How come the VG10 coin has near full shield lines and no other coin with the same detail in the lines shows up until VF30?

Probably striking issues. The lines were high points, and thus we're often not struck well. Same with shield nickels.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• Thank you everyone for your insightful input!

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Accfak said:
    Thank you everyone for your insightful input!

You're welcome. It's a nice-looking coin regardless of the grade.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

You have to grade the whole coin.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

vg/f

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing VG+/F... can't really see "WE"... I'm also seeing a small patch of green verdigris on the left side of the shield. Not a candidate for submission...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a fancy 5 if that means anything to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file