Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My bank's Brinks driver has been opening/searching the Half Dollar boxes!

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 10:25AM

Whether bank employee or Brinks employee, they do not own the boxes and by opening they have destroyed the order's integrity. I cannot imagine an act that reduces a banking entities integrity to not be within a banks standard whether illegal or not. When money is sealed it should only be opened by the owner. If not a banking law, it should be. JMO
    As to a bank's profit/loss to the handling of ordered boxes of coins would be irrelevant, as many banks do offer the service to their customers and therefore would distance themselves from employees that reduce that integrity.
    JIm

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    Drivers of all types of delivery trucks have to wait to load or unload trucks. They nap, read, watch jets takeoff and land—on the clock, especially if they are union members. Does any delivery business have a policy that says it is kosher to peruse the contents of cargo?
    The companies that move coins and currency do not want drivers going through the damn money.

If I was a driver I would have my own box of halves ready to swap each day, rolling and searching at night.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@Fraz said:
    Drivers of all types of delivery trucks have to wait to load or unload trucks. They nap, read, watch jets takeoff and land—on the clock, especially if they are union members. Does any delivery business have a policy that says it is kosher to peruse the contents of cargo?
    The companies that move coins and currency do not want drivers going through the damn money.

If I was a driver I would have my own box of halves ready to swap each day, rolling and searching at night.

Still, regardless when. The "opened and searched" factor would still be obvious.
    A NO-NO.
    🙂

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2024 11:32AM

Got this just now from a different bank.
    Now! This is how they suppose to be!

Ends, tightly wrapped!

<3B)<3

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

But a sealed box of $500 in halves was ordered and shipped, but has not arrived. What is the difference in a sealed coin in a holder arriving with the holder opened? Would you be as understanding?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    But a sealed box of $500 in halves was ordered and shipped, but has not arrived. What is the difference in a sealed coin in a holder arriving with the holder opened? Would you be as understanding?
    Jim

Apples and oranges. You don't order a "factory sealed box of halves" from a bank. You order a $500 box of halves. The bank would be within their rights to give you whatever they have on hand.

You also don't pay for the sealed box of halves, other than face value. Instead you make the bank swallow the cost of the order.

Yes, I will absolutely take all the open PCGS holder halves you have for 50 cents each... shipped.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure anyone really orders a "sealed box". They order a box.

You may prefer a sealed box, but $500 in rolled half dollars is what you will get.

• Options

"The Customer is ALWAYS right!"
    :D
    Been banking with them for over 30 years.
    ;)

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    Potentially unpopular opinion...I've worked for and at a bank for 16 years.

Handling coins is massively expensive. It is a complete cost center for banks to the point that most business accounts have to pay for all cash/coin being deposited over a fairly small amount. Even big businesses, although they typically earn credits towards the expense based on balances. The vast majority of customers with average balance checking/savings accounts (not loans, investing, credit card, etc) are NOT profitable to the bank. Which is fine but to expect lots of free services given that is unreasonable. There is a reason so many bank branches are closing across the nation.

All of that being said, given the amount of time, effort, and money your profitable hobby costs the bank, you should be grateful they allow you to do this at all.

I completely understand this, and am grateful, but currently only one bank has banned me. (So far) and it cited a fake rule to do so. So, they can not like it, but there is no rule against it, so they let me. I know the managers at multiple banks, and corporate at at least one of the chains knows what I am doing and they don’t do anything. As long as this is the case, I don’t mind the minor disagreements with tellers.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

@JBK said:

You may prefer a sealed box, but $500 in rolled half dollars is what you will get.

I can always say I don’t want it though.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CRHer700 said:

@JBK said:

I can always say I don’t want it though.

And they can always say they don't want to order then for you. They don't need a "fake rule" to do so. They aren't obligated to provide boxes of coin.

I realize this, that’s why I only order from one bank that offered this.

• Options

@MarkKelley said:
    I've waited a while before weighing in on this, just to see what others had to say. Now it's my turn.
    I get four boxes of halves from my bank every week. I realize that they're doing me a favor by ordering them, and I always make sure to show my gratitude (sometimes with more than just words). I've never been promised sealed boxes, nor do I specify them. I take what they give me each week. Sometimes it's sealed boxes with MWR's, sometimes it's re-wrapped MWR's and sometimes it's CWR's. Lately it's been all 2023-P coins several weeks in a row. I take them all without complaint, otherwise, they might stop ordering them at no cost to me.
    By the way, I dump the coins at a different bank in sealed $1000 bags, again at no cost to me.

Yes Mark! Couldn't of said it more better myself!
    😉

• Options

@Markkelley
    I rarely ever roll hunt halves so I’m curious how well you’re doing on silvers vs varieties and how often??

I did recently pick up a few rolls, actually it was Joey that sparked my interest from another thread. Anyway, I was sold 10 new rolls of 2023 P and I ended up sending one in for grading. We’ll see I’m hoping 67.

Btw nice approach.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Hi guys,
    Boy o' boy! What next?
    I've been noticing at my local main bank. Where I do order Half Dollar Bank boxes from. The driver goes through the box or boxes before he drops them off at the bank!
    Then, he rewraps them.
    Do any of you experience the same thing?
    Now I definitely know, they are NOT allowed to do this!
    It happened to me twice. Both times I refused to purchase the box. The tellers all agree with me. They are very supportive of my request to only purchase "Unopened" boxes.
    I pick another box up tomorrow (Wednesday) we shall see if it happens again?
    If so, no more ordering from them!
    Opinions?
    Thank you ALL!
    :)

Joey - I just wish your initial post had been more specific. I had to read this entire stinkin' thread to find out what was going on.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited June 12, 2024 3:19PM

@Coinscratch said:
    @Markkelley
    I rarely ever roll hunt halves so I’m curious how well you’re doing on silvers vs varieties and how often??

I did recently pick up a few rolls, actually it was Joey that sparked my interest from another thread. Anyway, I was sold 10 new rolls of 2023 P and I ended up sending one in for grading. We’ll see I’m hoping 67.

Btw nice approach.

Good Luck, brothers
    "Keep on Huntin'"

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

I've done this for many years and the banks have always been very nice. Including ordering me all the different state quarter rolls over the years. I've pulled a LOT of silver from the rolls over the years, $1000 in face. I've stopped now to let others in for the game. Also, you're correct in some coins are stollen collections. I have bought many coins from a stolen collection, AFTEWR they were recovered! The crooks stole a Kennedy half collection in slabs. They placed prices on the holders obviously from the Red Book! An $800 coin for $1.50? What a bargain! After recovery, I bought the coin for the $00 plus several others from the former collector, after he recovered them. Thank goodness they were still in the PCGS slabs. Just my 50 cents.

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    edited June 12, 2024 3:22PM

@raycyca said:
    I've done this for many years and the banks have always been very nice. Including ordering me all the different state quarter rolls over the years. I've pulled a LOT of silver from the rolls over the years, $1000 in face. I've stopped now to let others in for the game. Also, you're correct in some coins are stollen collections. I have bought many coins from a stolen collection, AFTEWR they were recovered! The crooks stole a Kennedy half collection in slabs. They placed prices on the holders obviously from the Red Book! An $800 coin for $1.50? What a bargain! After recovery, I bought the coin for the $00 plus several others from the former collector, after he recovered them. Thank goodness they were still in the PCGS slabs. Just my 50 cents.

Yeah, the only downside of CRHunting. Searching through coins of someone else's misfortune!
    Terrible!

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has been mentioned previously, banks don't have any control over whether these boxes of rolls have already been gone through or not. They aren't making a cent on the deal and have to go through the time, cost and hassle of obtaining them. Roll hunters should be thankful that there are still banks/CUs still willing to do this. Look at these like getting a scratcher at the Circle K. Some are winners, most aren't, but unlike scratchers, you aren't out anything because you never paid any premium to get them.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well after reading all the pros & cons, I have to agree with @jmlanzaf . Sure it's nice to get a sealed box but you are getting $500 for $500.

The tellers don't complain if your cash is wrinkled or dirty...

Is it wrong for a teller to buy a box, bring it home, search it, reroll it, and then sell it back to the bank? It could happen.

Sometimes the best finds are in the loose rolls the tellers have in their drawers, or in opened boxes.

• Options
    edited June 12, 2024 5:17PM

@Onastone said:
    Well after reading all the pros & cons, I have to agree with @jmlanzaf . Sure it's nice to get a sealed box but you are getting $500 for $500.

Is it wrong for a teller to buy a box, bring it home, search it, reroll it, and then sell it back to the bank? It could happen.

Sometimes the best finds are in the loose rolls the tellers have in their drawers, or in opened boxes.

No. us CRHunters should never complain. That's why I'm not furthering my complaint by pursuing the driver's company. If he is the one.
    But, just saying, what's right and what's wrong.
    Should be Unopened Like 99% of the time.
    Thanks

• Options

Next hunt ..

Consists of
    1 quarter box
    19 quarter rolls
    50 rolls of Half Dollars!

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@Onastone said:

That's why I'm not furthering my complaint by pursuing the driver's company. If he is the one.

Pursuing the driver's company?? Really? That actually crossed your mind? Were you actually there to witness the driver deliver the boxes? And you're 100% sure it wasn't bank employees or another collector that brought the search box back?

You're a successful, dedicated, proactive, out of the box thinking CRH'er Joey. I like that about you. I don't want you going off the rails. I'm hoping you don't need or want an intervention from us. 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 6:07PM

Man that’s tough when somebody horns in on your angle. Did he find out from you?

Tell you what will meet w my bank Mgr c if any that angle is there for me. Caching! Thanks for sharing.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Ends, tightly wrapped!

<3B)<3

Three bicentennials in sight. Good luck with your search. No Pepe!

• Options

@Markkelley > @JBN said:

@joeykoins said:

Ends, tightly wrapped!

<3B)<3

Oddly, 6 or 7 72s as well possibly a No FG.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@joeykoins said:

@Onastone said:

That's why I'm not furthering my complaint by pursuing the driver's company. If he is the one.

Pursuing the driver's company?? Really? That actually crossed your mind? Were you actually there to witness the driver deliver the boxes? And you're 100% sure it wasn't bank employees or another collector that brought the search box back?

You're a successful, dedicated, proactive, out of the box thinking CRH'er Joey. I like that about you. I don't want you going off the rails. I'm hoping you don't need or want an intervention from us. 😉

Did you read my post correctly?
    I'm not taking this further.
    As a matter of fact, Picked up coins at a whole different location 😆
    I'm chillin'
    Thanks 😊

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2024 5:16AM

@Coinscratch said:

@Fraz said:

If one had his own source, he would not need to do that. But, if one were in that position, and so inclined, the box would only have two coins per roll.
    That’s why they must come sealed.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is time to put this thread to bed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Good point @fraz I have four different accounts for business and personal at one bank and they charge me religiously for account analysis’s. I offered them a calculator in exchange but they didn’t respond 😂

I think I’ll go order some half dollars from them today and give them some grief.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Good point @fraz I have four different accounts for business and personal at one bank and they charge me religiously for account analysis’s. I offered them a calculator in exchange but they didn’t respond 😂

I think I’ll go order some half dollars from them today and give them some grief.

I just picked up a box (or five of various denoms.) yesterday after arguing about this. Come to think of it, I have like the account type with the lowest interest, so they can't complain too much. In over a year I haven't taken a single cent in interest from them.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody needs a hobby.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2024 8:30AM

@JBN said:

@joeykoins said:

Ends, tightly wrapped!

<3B)<3

Yeah, unfortunately.
    Pepe', showed up!

"Don't blame the bank by me arriving, too!"

• Options

@CaptHenway—

Was it the tone in her voice?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    @CaptHenway—

I think it was the sheer ingratitude...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Fraz said:
    @CaptHenway—

I think it was the sheer ingratitude...

Yep, that’s my bride.

• Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

I've tried to get halves or dollar coins thru my credit union, and they always say no !!!! I used to get them easily before Covid but something changed. With all the half dollar I've gone thru - I think they were searched. Some halves were marked and never found any silver. They probably wanted to cut costs with big time searchers. At least they have a free coin counter in the lobby.

• Options

Well, this is odd! I immediately thought of this thread Joey.

Got the box home and opened it. This is what I found. My first though was that the box was returned to the bank by a CRH'er. I called the bank back and asked to speak to Judy (the girl I get the box from). I asked her if the box I just received from her came from a customer. She said nope, it just came in off the truck. She asked if there was a problem. I said no, everything was fine. Thanks very much and we hung up.

The box had one strip of tape on it. If the box had been opened, the tape would have been cut or would have ripped or damaged the cardboard box if pulled off. The box saw fine. The box had hand wrapped rolls, hand wrapped rolls with taped ends and the unopened red, white & blue machine wrapped rolls. Very odd in my experience.

All indications, the box came straight from the coin rolling company. Did these hand wrapped rolls come into the rolling company this way? Did the coin rolling company employees transfer the rolls to an outgoing box? Did the coin roll company employees wrap these coins? Were the hand wrapped rolls already search by someone?... Who knows.

I haven't search the rolls yet. We'll see what happens.

• Options

Looks like the bank's coin supplier is recycling rolls it takes in.

• Options

Somethings off, and those coins were either searched, collected or both. The question is by who, when, and where.

Captain Obvious.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Somethings off, and those coins were either searched, collected or both. The question is by who, when, and where.

Captain Obvious.

But how do we get to the facts? It's all speculation.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?

Yes but how are they recycling them? hand wrapped rolls come in and they just sent them back out as is?...without counting them? I can't really see these coin roll company employees hand wrapping rolls. Can you?

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?

Yes but how are they recycling them? hand wrapped rolls come in and they just sent them back out as is?...without counting them? I can't really see these coin roll company employees hand wrapping rolls. Can you?

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Normally, the coin processors dump it all into the hopper and then wrap in the crimped shotgun rolls.

Recycle coins, of course. Recycle CWRs, very unusual.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file