Home U.S. Coin Forum

My bank's Brinks driver has been opening/searching the Half Dollar boxes!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 11, 2024 9:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Boy o' boy! What next?
I've been noticing at my local main bank. Where I do order Half Dollar Bank boxes from. The driver goes through the box or boxes before he drops them off at the bank!
Then, he rewraps them.
Do any of you experience the same thing?
Now I definitely know, they are NOT allowed to do this!
It happened to me twice. Both times I refused to purchase the box. The tellers all agree with me. They are very supportive of my request to only purchase "Unopened" boxes.
I pick another box up tomorrow (Wednesday) we shall see if it happens again?
If so, no more ordering from them!
Opinions?
Thank you ALL!
:)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your dilemma. Not much surprises me anymore. Hope your situation improves.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe?
    I never were specific about the Silver just mentioning about certain dates I look for!
    :*

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a conspiracy 😠

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 12:30AM

"Loose lips sink ships". Discretion is the better part of valor. 🤐

They (either the bank or Brinks) see you ordering all these boxes. Someone has been thinking about the reason. Or maybe someone is trying to teach you a lesson. ;)

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter worked as a teller with a great group of coworkers and when they became aware of the older coins and currency, they'd separate them on one side of their drawer and buy them later. Buffalo nickels, mercury dimes, silver halves, two dollar bills, silver certificates and older looking bills. Maybe you should consider a side job as a teller!!!

But opening boxes is crossing the line...especially if coinage is not needed in their drawers like halves. They didn't do that.

• TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 4:36AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    I see no reason why the driver or tellers would not have the right to search the coins. You order a box of halves not a box of unsearched halves. They are only responsible for making sure you get the right face value.

That said, how can you tell they were searched if they are re-rolled?

I agree that tellers should be able to do so. Drivers not so much. Are the drivers doing it on company time and are they permitted to “mess with” the rolls? What if there was a short count on a roll that they opened?

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a box of nickels from Credit union which the driver had dropped. I did not check it at the bank, but it was missing 1 roll. Did not do anything about it but will refuse the next open box they hand to me. I would still get boxes from your bank, just refuse opened boxes. The drivers and the tellers should not be searching the boxes. It is a box of coins and the boxes are sealed so they do not have to search them.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I see no reason why the driver or tellers would not have the right to search the coins. You order a box of halves not a box of unsearched halves. They are only responsible for making sure you get the right face value.

I agree that tellers should be able to do so. Drivers not so much. Are the drivers doing it on company time and are they permitted to “mess with” the rolls? What if there was a short count on a roll that they opened?

@Tomthemailcarrier said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Oh, I agree. I wouldn't want my employees at either the bank or the armored car to be doing it. And, as you say, especially the armored car driver who is not the end user. But, the only thing the end user is promised is $500 in halves not $500 in "unsearched" halves.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at a collection earlier in the week where an aunt was a banker who separated out all the 90% silver and Morgan rolls that came in during her career, tens of thousands of dollars worth. They can't do that legally any more.

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Hi guys,
    Boy o' boy! What next?
    I've been noticing at my local main bank. Where I do order Half Dollar Bank boxes from. The driver goes through the box or boxes before he drops them off at the bank!
    Then, he rewraps them.
    It happened to me twice. Both times I refused to purchase the box. The tellers all agree with me. They are very supportive of my request to only purchase "Unopened" boxes.
    Opinions?
    Thank you ALL!

I feel like something may be missing here Joey...what bank is it? If you don't mind me asking.

Brinks folks are on camera everywhere in and around the trucks/vans. And they'd need to bring empty rolls (and dispose of the empty machine rolled papers) with them in order to make it an on the job hobby.

Tellers...well, no bank mangers would want tellers spending time going through rolls on the job, other than verifying counts in the rolls received from customers. Which some of my Chase bank tellers have told me they've had to do, but usually only the small dollars rolls. I know tellers who pay more attention to what's in their cash drawers but none that open rolls to search. Because that's not profitable for the bank or adding to their bottom line.

Maybe some of your bank branches are just moving boxes around via brinks rather than paying to have brinks re-roll or something? It just strikes me as an exceptionally odd situation having been a manager in large cash handling environments...

Because every additional time money or product is touched by a human the potential for errors and shrink goes up.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much extra are you paying your bank for all the work they do ordering the coins for you and then presumably taking them back after you have had your way with them and having to ship them back to some coin depot?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:
    How much extra are you paying your bank for all the work they do ordering the coins for you and then presumably taking them back after you have had your way with them and having to ship them back to some coin depot?

Especially half dollars that no businesses use.

edited June 12, 2024 7:22AM

@jmlanzaf said:

First of all the box itself, was unsealed. Meaning, the tape that seals the box had been slit.
    Plus, each roll was obviously opened with the end loosely rewrapped.

edited June 12, 2024 7:29AM

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:
    Hi guys,
    Boy o' boy! What next?
    Then, he rewraps them.
    Opinions?
    Thank you ALL!

I feel like something may be missing here Joey...what bank is it? If you don't mind me asking.

Brinks folks are on camera everywhere in and around the trucks/vans. And they'd need to bring empty rolls (and dispose of the empty machine rolled papers) with them in order to make it an on the job hobby.

Tellers...well, no bank mangers would want tellers spending time going through rolls on the job, other than verifying counts in the rolls received from customers. Which some of my Chase bank tellers have told me they've had to do, but usually only the small dollars rolls. I know tellers who pay more attention to what's in their cash drawers but none that open rolls to search. Because that's not profitable for the bank or adding to their bottom line.

Maybe some of your bank branches are just moving boxes around via brinks rather than paying to have brinks re-roll or something? It just strikes me as an exceptionally odd situation having been a manager in large cash handling environments...

Because every additional time money or product is touched by a human the potential for errors and shrink goes up.

To tell you the truth,
    I'm not quite sure which company delivers the coins,
    Brinks
    Loomis
    Garda
    ???

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've gotten too cozy with one bank. I would stop going there for at least a year and find others many others.
    Besides, the mother lode won't come from a fed box. It will hit all at once from an accidental collection dump.
    Savoir Faire is everywhere!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

There could be heirs out there right now who are on the way to the bank to dump those old coins that nobody uses anymore at the bank.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    You've gotten too cozy with one bank. I would stop going there for at least a year and find others many others.
    Besides, the mother lode won't come from a fed box. It will hit all at once from an accidental collection dump.
    Savoir Faire is everywhere!

Not necessarily from an accidental collection dump. It could be from a stolen collection. Believe me, I KNOW.

edited June 12, 2024 7:35AM

You may be right.
    I do go to many others already.
    It's just that this bank is the closest and the most friendliest.
    I did notice new employees too!

@291fifth said:
    There could be heirs out there right now who are on the way to the bank to dump those old coins that nobody uses anymore at the bank.

I'm sure boxes fall into all three categories at one point.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those of us in the Coinstar searching world have similar beliefs about store employees.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    The more I think of it???
    It just crossed my mind!
    I hope, the tellers aren't the true culprits!
    They would seem to have more spare time than the drivers?

Cameras all over the place in a bank.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would complain to both Brinks and the bank management. Don't think they may get mad and not order you more. Look at the time they are costing you and they are knowingly doing so. They must know you are going to search the rolls and do not care about the time you lose, so do not tolerate this behavior...report and document.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 8:12AM

@joeykoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

First of all the box itself, was unsealed. Meaning, the tape that seals the box had been slit.

Where do you live Joey? You might be getting my rolls. :D

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Joey, I hope you take this in good fun, as it's meant. :p

My banks know not to give me my boxes back. I can tell what was mine and refuse it. I have however, twice received boxes that had been gone through by me, returned to the bank, returned to Loomis, put in new boxes and sent out to me again! I know because the coins were still in my rolls! I also once got a sealed half dollar box that was half CWRs from someone else.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I heard of another time where someone got a box of CWRs from a bank order.

If you or someone else returned a box of rolled coins it might just have gone back into the vault to await the next order.

Loose coins would need to be machine rolled before sending back out to banks, but since halfs don't actually circulate maybe someone figured why bother re-rolling them if they had been returned in rolls.

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Armored car drivers are on a tight schedule, and monitored. Not sure where they find an hour of downtime to search boxes and re-roll coins. Far more likely the teller does it and blames the driver.

Loomis drivers, at least, have zero schedule. They have to deliver on Tuesday, but sometimes they are there when the bank opens, and sometimes they come two hours after they close! The bank tellers have to sit and wait for them. Also, they sometimes just pull a fast one and don't give the bank an coins for a week. There was one week back in March I think, that they shirked their duties on the whole chain, and none of the banks had any coins.

@JWP said:
    I picked up a box of nickels from Credit union which the driver had dropped. I did not check it at the bank, but it was missing 1 roll. Did not do anything about it but will refuse the next open box they hand to me. I would still get boxes from your bank, just refuse opened boxes. The drivers and the tellers should not be searching the boxes. It is a box of coins and the boxes are sealed so they do not have to search them.

I also have had this happen, except worse. A box of nickels was missing 20 rolls and didn't even have a hole! The tellers gave me a different box though.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 My box was dropped, and I was told the driver put the loose coins back in the box. I did mention to the CU the next time I was there, but $2 was not a real problem. They have always been great to me, and o did not see a reason to file a claim for $2. Noe $40 is a different story. The weight difference in the box is very obvious too. P glad the teller swapped the box out for you.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

@CRHer700 said:

@joeykoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I still don't see why they can't give you an unsealed box of rolls. If they had a box of loosely wrapped coins from a customer, he'd jump all over them. In fact, couldn't the box have been from such a source. Why is your bank obligated to get you a sealed box from Brinks rather than just give you whatever box they have laying around?

edited June 12, 2024 9:27AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@CRHer700 said:

@joeykoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I still don't see why they can't give you an unsealed box of rolls. If they had a box of loosely wrapped coins from a customer, he'd jump all over them. In fact, couldn't the box have been from such a source. Why is your bank obligated to get you a sealed box from Brinks rather than just give you whatever box they have laying around?

They can, as long as they are sealed rolls or CWRs. Open MWR half dollar rolls are the problem.

Edit: what I mean to say is; if you ever see unsealed MWRs, there is a 99% chance that they are gone through. CWRs most of the time are too, but there is a possibility of good stuff.

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drivers of all types of delivery trucks have to wait to load or unload trucks. They nap, read, watch jets takeoff and land—on the clock, especially if they are union members. Does any delivery business have a policy that says it is kosher to peruse the contents of cargo?
    The companies that move coins and currency do not want drivers going through the damn money.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I would complain to both Brinks and the bank management. Don't think they may get mad and not order you more. Look at the time they are costing you and they are knowingly doing so. They must know you are going to search the rolls and do not care about the time you lose, so do not tolerate this behavior...report and document.
    Jim

A likely result would be a shutdown on handling of requests for boxes of coins by the bank. Roll searchers are essentially a source of profit drain for the banks. I'm surprised they even handle such requests unless they come from business clients that have accounts that generate substantial income for the bank.

All glory is fleeting.
    edited June 12, 2024 9:33AM

@JBK said:

@CRHer700 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CRHer700 said:

@joeykoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

They are obliged to give me what I ordered. I open all of my boxes at the bank to make sure that they are correct. I would take a box that is opened but has sealed rolls. Open half dollar rolls are a no-no, a waste of time.

Yikes. Tell the bank manager that and I'll bet they stop ordering anything for you. Your hobby costs them money.

Open rolls might be a waste of your time, but the bank is not there to make it worth your time.

The thing is, they rarely offer opened rolls. I don't mean to sound entitled, but if I randomly stop in and ask for coins and they do, I politely tell them that I will pass. If I order coins, I get the exact boxes that I ordered, which should be unopened.

@JBK said:
    When I dabble in roll searching, my formula is to be one part discreet and the other part discreet. And aside from that I try to use discretion in dealing with the tellers.

I try to fly under the radar as much as possible, on both ends of the roll searching process.

I do the opposite, I make sure they know exactly what I'm doing.

@lermish said:
    Potentially unpopular opinion...I've worked for and at a bank for 16 years.

Handling coins is massively expensive. It is a complete cost center for banks to the point that most business accounts have to pay for all cash/coin being deposited over a fairly small amount. Even big businesses, although they typically earn credits towards the expense based on balances. The vast majority of customers with average balance checking/savings accounts (not loans, investing, credit card, etc) are NOT profitable to the bank. Which is fine but to expect lots of free services given that is unreasonable. There is a reason so many bank branches are closing across the nation.

All of that being said, given the amount of time, effort, and money your profitable hobby costs the bank, you should be grateful they allow you to do this at all.

Well said.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you do not report illegal activity, then you are saying it is ok. In order to maintain law and order we may have to suffer some small amount. Also, I would bet due to the lack of coins available at banks in boxes, the banks may soon prevent of the return of coinage unless in the original sealed boxes. That would prevent or at least slow down the CRHing from ordering boxes and save them money. Don't get me wrong, I searched rolls most of my life. Just never in boxes ordered but in rolled coins available as the bank had them. Good luck to all in this endeavor.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    edited June 12, 2024 10:18AM

You guys are correct when saying they give us what they want.
    However, most banks are WILLING to please us customers. No matter what we ask for!
    Sure, from time to time, they do have only customer wrapped, in which I understand. But when they ask, "Do you want us to order a box for you, next week?"
    That's a different story.

@jesbroken said:
    When you do not report illegal activity, then you are saying it is ok. In order to maintain law and order we may have to suffer some small amount. Also, I would bet due to the lack of coins available at banks in boxes, the banks may soon prevent of the return of coinage unless in the original sealed boxes. That would prevent or at least slow down the CRHing from ordering boxes and save them money. Don't get me wrong, I searched rolls most of my life. Just never in boxes ordered but in rolled coins available as the bank had them. Good luck to all in this endeavor.
    Jim

Is it illegal? Assuming the box is full, what law has been broken? It's really not obvious to me that is illegal. It may be against corporate policy, but why isn't $500 in halves $500 in halves?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file