Home U.S. Coin Forum

My bank's Brinks driver has been opening/searching the Half Dollar boxes!

13»

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:
    Looks like the bank's coin supplier is recycling rolls it takes in.

Aren't they supposed to?

Yes but how are they recycling them? hand wrapped rolls come in and they just sent them back out as is?...without counting them? I can't really see these coin roll company employees hand wrapping rolls. Can you?

You don't need to count if you weigh.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?

Yes but how are they recycling them? hand wrapped rolls come in and they just sent them back out as is?...without counting them? I can't really see these coin roll company employees hand wrapping rolls. Can you?

Okay, good point. So they are weighing the boxes?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm amazed that banks and credit unions tolerate roll searchers at all. I recall back in 1963, when the great coin boom of the early 60s was in full swing I would sometimes go to the bank more than once a day during the summer to get a bag of cents or nickels to search. I think I wore out my welcome as at least one of the banks started giving me bags I'm sure they knew had already been searched. I called it quits on roll searching that summer. The "good stuff" was already gone, gone, gone.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?

They might be.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 4:04PM

@OAKSTAR said:

@Coinscratch said:
    Somethings off, and those coins were either searched, collected or both. The question is by who, when, and where.

Captain Obvious.

But how do we get to the facts? It's all speculation.

Simple, start unwrapping to see if they’ve been circulated. If they’re uncirculated and in aftermarket wraps, then I would suspect foul play.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 4:44PM

@joeykoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I see no reason why the driver or tellers would not have the right to search the coins. You order a box of halves not a box of unsearched halves. They are only responsible for making sure you get the right face value.

That said, how can you tell they were searched if they are re-rolled?

First of all the box itself, was unsealed. Meaning, the tape that seals the box had been slit.
    Plus, each roll was obviously opened with the end loosely rewrapped.

A possibility to consider is that a previous roll hunter has searched those rolls and replaced the silver coins with clad half dollars, and rolled them back up and put them in the box to take back to the bank. They might have to do it that way if their bank does not have an automatic coin counter. Then the bank would send it back to the Federal Reserve and it would make its way to you without being re-wrapped.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?> @OAKSTAR said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?

FWIW, when the Sacagaweas came out in 2000, the Mint ate the expense of having the coins wrapped by a particular private company in $25 rolls (the yellow "bumblebee" rolls) and sealed in $1000 boxes that banks could order at face value, delivered. This was all to encourage banks to handle the coins to get them into circulation.

We had a good business relationship with a particular bank in downtown Chicago, and routinely got $2 bills from them to use in our cash register. We started getting the $1,000 boxes and giving out dollar coins instead of dollar bills. We kept the Deuces in the place where we used to have Ones.

We would also sell rolls of coins to anybody who wanted one for $25 cash. We were trying to encourage people to spend them, like Bob and I and some other people who worked in the store did. Then somebody I knew and trusted came in and said that one of the rolls we sold him was a coin short. I gave the guy a coin, and went and grabbed an unopened box and stood the rolls up on end. Two were a little bit taller than most, and two were a little bit shorter. I grabbed the scale we kept at the counter and sure enough two rolls were a coin over, and two were a coin under. But the weight, and the count, on the box was correct.

Later Bob called the friendly Head Cashier at the bank and told him what we had found, and he said that a couple of his tellers had told him that some of the rolls were off but he had not believed them. He said that he would apologize to them, and start weighing boxes and individual rolls.

Hilariously, I later mentioned the off-count rolls, probably in a COINage article about the new coins, and named the company that was doing the wrapping. They sent me a letter that said that they were extremely butthurt that I would dare suggest that some of their rolls were wrong.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?> @OAKSTAR said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CaptHenway said:

@JBK said:

Aren't they supposed to?

FWIW, when the Sacagaweas came out in 2000, the Mint ate the expense of having the coins wrapped by a particular private company in $25 rolls (the yellow "bumblebee" rolls) and sealed in $1000 boxes that banks could order at face value, delivered. This was all to encourage banks to handle the coins to get them into circulation.

We had a good business relationship with a particular bank in downtown Chicago, and routinely got $2 bills from them to use in our cash register. We started getting the $1,000 boxes and giving out dollar coins instead of dollar bills. We kept the Deuces in the place where we used to have Ones.

We would also sell rolls of coins to anybody who wanted one for $25 cash. We were trying to encourage people to spend them, like Bob and I and some other people who worked in the store did. Then somebody I knew and trusted came in and said that one of the rolls we sold him was a coin short. I gave the guy a coin, and went and grabbed an unopened box and stood the rolls up on end. Two were a little bit taller than most, and two were a little bit shorter. I grabbed the scale we kept at the counter and sure enough two rolls were a coin over, and two were a coin under. But the weight, and the count, on the box was correct.

Later Bob called the friendly Head Cashier at the bank and told him what we had found, and he said that a couple of his tellers had told him that some of the rolls were off but he had not believed them. He said that he would apologize to them, and start weighing boxes and individual rolls.

Hilariously, I later mentioned the off-count rolls, probably in a COINage article about the new coins, and named the company that was doing the wrapping. They sent me a letter that said that they were extremely butthurt that I would dare suggest that some of their rolls were wrong.

TD

This still happens all the time, just not on that scale. Nickel and dime boxes usually have at least one roll that has too many or too few coins in it.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

edited June 20, 2024 6:08PM

I haven't looked at the coins yet. I'm just slowly opening and separating them. Wanted you to see some of these rolls. They like old, tattered and yellowed. The coins seem to have been in these rolls for a long time. The machine and hand wrapped rolls look mixed. The red, white & blue machine wrapped rolls look uncirculated.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• MartinMartin Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR is that a Cheerio Sac?
    If so nice score
    I’m too tired to check myself

Thanks
    Marty

@Martin said:
    @OAKSTAR is that a Cheerio Sac?
    If so nice score
    I’m too tired to check myself

Thanks
    Marty

No way Marty, I wish. They are speared eagles not Cheerio's Dollars.

• MartinMartin Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks nice find

• CregCreg Posts: 335 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up a box of halves today. The teller unsealed it before me and inspected it.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Creg said:
    I picked up a box of halves today. The teller unsealed it before me and inspected it.

Someday I'll do a poll to see what word people use. For some reason I say "halfs", as in half dollars.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Creg said:

Someday I'll do a poll to see what word people use. For some reason I say "halfs", as in half dollars.

There’s halves and halves, not.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Whether bank employee or Brinks employee, they do not own the boxes and by opening they have destroyed the order's integrity. I cannot imagine an act that reduces a banking entities integrity to not be within a banks standard whether illegal or not. When money is sealed it should only be opened by the owner. If not a banking law, it should be. JMO
    As to a bank's profit/loss to the handling of ordered boxes of coins would be irrelevant, as many banks do offer the service to their customers and therefore would distance themselves from employees that reduce that integrity.
    JIm

OK. I've looked at this post long enough.

1. YOU have absolutely no evidence that the Delivery Driver or a Bank Employee opened and searched a box of Half Dollars. NONE!
    2. When $500 boxes of halves are turned into the bank by a collector that bought/ordered them at a different bank, the receiving bank does NOT ALWAYS return the coin to the Federal Reserve for counting and repackaging. 9 out of 10 times the coins are simply given to some other collector.
      When I was heavy into searching $500 to $2000 lots, I would order from one bank and dump them at another. After a couple of months and about $9,000 worth of returns, I found out through casual conversation that every roll and box I had returned, was still in their vault! It was considered 'dead money' which they could not collect interest on and it wasn't enough to justify calling a truck out to return them. I stopped using that bank as a dump bank.
    3. People Search Kennedy Half Dollars for more than just silver and you can EASILY determine if there is a high probability of silver in the roll without ever opening it. IIRC, a cnclad roll will weigh 226 grams. Any more than that then the roll is worth searching. When I search Kennedy's, I look for varieties of all shapes and conditions. I have found 71-D DDO's, 73-D DDO's, 74-D DDO's, 77-D DDO's which turned out quite profitable for me.

STOP making accusations since bank employee's have either the time nor the patience to open a $500 Box of Coins to search each roll. Not only that but Vault Contents are audited on a regular basis.
    Delivery Drivers that deliver CASH to Banks and Stores have neither the time nor resources to open a $500 Box of coins to a bank which would immediately refuse delivery if the boxes were opened since they have no idea how many coins may or may not be missing.

STOP making accusation which have zero basis in reality or basic banking procedures.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

Joust rambling, but......I think I only ever ordered a full box of halves ONCE in my collecting life, but it was an interesting diversion. I can't even remember if I found something or not.......

I usually ask for 4 rolls of quarters at a time these days, just looking to keep current on the latest "American Women" series. Most of the time, the banks give me customer-wrapped rolls, and I find little if anything needed there. And I feel like I'm flying somewhat under the radar when I return them to my CU.

But trying to get the dates/mintmarks I need this way has been a LOT less successful recently (post-Covid) than before. Here it is July '24, and I have YET to see a single 2023 "Idar" quarter from EITHER Mint, and have found only 2 2024-P quarters!! My wife got both of those in change from her local Wawa store. NONE from bank roll searching!

The other day, I finally got 2 "Tallchief" quarters from my wife from change. Then I went out and changed tactics and tried a new bank & asked for newly-wrapped rolls. Wouldn't you know they were ALL "Tallchief" quarters?! When it rains, it pours.....

I'm thinking of asking my wife to ask for a box of quarters from the bank for me to search on my birthday, but just my luck they'd either all be old ones, or all more "Tallchief's" to the exclusion of the other ones I still need......

:(

• CregCreg Posts: 335 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Creg said:

I do not know the numismatic convention.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file